Who is the MUTV commentator?

Mickson

He's good when it comes to doing the general play by play / describing the action stuff....but he really struggles to convey the excitement of situations.

Listen to his commentary of the De Gea pen save and the Sky Sports commentary and its night and day
I completely agree with this, I think he bails out the 'expert' a lot with some common sense and reading of the game. The worst at MUTV is the co-commentators, who seem to think their role is just to repeat in other words what the commentator has just said.

Last edited:

brian017

Their commentary is always in sync with what we're seeing on the video feed. It's absolutely clear they are watching on TV.
Could be because you're watching MUTV on a stream too. They definitely did the radio comm live from OT a couple of years ago. Because every few minutes they used to change the screen between the score/stats and live pictures of David Stowell and Ben Thornley (when he used to do it instead of the main commentary) in the press box commentating on the game

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Could be because you're watching MUTV on a stream too
I listen to their live feed on the web page and sync their match clock to the satellite feed match clock by time shift pausing the video.

Bondi77

He was the main reason i cancelled my subscription. Lacks conviction with what he says and just sounds fake when United score but at least he accepts decisions that go against us unlike Paddy who thinks every united player is world class and can do no wrong.
I was the same.
I love Utd but I cannot listen to such biased commentary

Bowden

About a decade ago when I lived with some mates I would have MUTV on in the background and Paddy would make them livid. They would go on about his United bias etc but honestly, it's a former United player commentating on a United game on United's channel, I don't really think it's an issue.

Surprised to know that Stewart Gardner is a Bristol City fan, I wonder how he felt when we lost to them a few years back, would be interesting to hear his commentary on the game. Interested to know if he has genuine affection for us now, I always thought he was a fan from his commentary so I would hope so. I couldn't imagine supporting anyone other than United but I suppose if you work for a club for so many years, you would assume you start to see yourself as part of it.

Anyways surprised to see how much hate towards him, I don't think he is particularly offensive or annoying even if he is perhaps a bit limited compared to others. Also like Ben Thornely and glad to see him grow into the role after being a bit shakey at the start. Doesn't hide his United bias but is also pretty fair overall.

I know that kind of contradicts my point about having no issue with Paddy being biased but you know, Paddy is Paddy and I enjoyed that for what it was.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been a bugbear of mine for years. I cannot stand his commentary, and as others have said it just sounds so fake. Like he's pretending to be excited by situations.

Whenever Utd post clips of games and goals his commentary just absolutely ruins it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Being a commentator on a club channel isn't that hard. Sound excited when the club you're working for scores, sound like you're at a funeral when the opposition scores or has won. Also, talk about one team and one team only while being a tad one eyed about the officiating.

I had access to MUTV for two separate 3 year blocks at no extra charge on the sports package from 2007-10 and 2016-19. I've heard Stewart Gardner or Steve as Pat Crerand used to call him. Despite not being the 2nd coming of Brian Moore, Gardner fulfils the brief adequately.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Utd posted Maguire’s goal today and Gardner’s commentary is so bad :lol: he legit sounds like a bad actor trying to sound excited.

kps88

I always thought he sounded like an actor because they weren't commentating on it live, so he knew exactly when something was going to happen and had to fake excitement. But reading back this thread it seems that is not the case. So he's just plain terrible.

Ole'sattheWheel

Odd bump, but does anyone know who the main commentator is on this video?

Highlights v Liverpool
I don’t recognise his voice and he’s much better than Gardner, also sounds like Darren Fletcher (BT commentator)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Seems Stewart Gardner has infiltrated his way into Sky Sports. Not really sure how tbh as he isn't a great commentator. This aside, it is so strange to hear him commentating on us in a 'neutral' way.

Tiber

Maybe it's just because Paddy was so awful (great player, terrible commentator) beside him, but I never had an issue with Gardner

The Kag

Gardner is truly one of the worst commentators I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. He has a voice for print (it's so grating) and rarely, if ever, sounds genuine with his excitement or enthusiasm. I'd rather listen to a drunk David Pleat blather on about the ideal player's shoe size than listen to Stewart Gardner. All was well when he was quarantined to MUTV, but now he's been let loose to terrorize the masses!

cyberman

Gardner is truly one of the worst commentators I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. He has a voice for print (it's so grating) and rarely, if ever, sounds genuine with his excitement or enthusiasm. I'd rather listen to a drunk David Pleat blather on about the ideal player's shoe size than listen to Stewart Gardner. All was well when he was quarantined to MUTV, but now he's been let loose to terrorize the masses!
If you ever watch his commentary of prime era Ronaldo goal collection for us this really stands out. Every other goal is can you believe the genius of this man!!!

croadyman

Awful. I couldn't believe it when I heard him on today's match. Awful, awful commentator, and what's even worse is that he never shuts up. He talks constantly and says nothing interesting.
Yeah glad others thought the same too

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe it's just because Paddy was so awful (great player, terrible commentator) beside him, but I never had an issue with Gardner
It's his voice unfortunately. It sounds so forced, there's no genuine passion behind his delight of a goal.

It's almost like he's stuck in a small box and trying to celebrate while keeping the noise to a minimum.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Surprised to hear he isn’t a United fan reading back through this thread. I went to an evening with Sir Alex at the Lowry after he retired and I saw Stewart there, seemingly on his own as a fan, but probably just a comped ticket from the club sadly. Mandy was there too, chatted to her and her husband who are genuine United fans. Does she still do MUTV, anyone know?

I don’t pay for it anymore but watched it during our friendlies over the WC break and was surprised at how downhill it had gotten, and it was pretty terrible before.

Man-United

Surprised to hear he isn’t a United fan reading back through this thread. I went to an evening with Sir Alex at the Lowry after he retired and I saw Stewart there, seemingly on his own as a fan, but probably just a comped ticket from the club sadly. Mandy was there too, chatted to her and her husband who are genuine United fans. Does she still do MUTV, anyone know?

I don’t pay for it anymore but watched it during our friendlies over the WC break and was surprised at how downhill it had gotten, and it was pretty terrible before.
Gardner's son is a huge United fan and he said himself that nowadays he cares more for United than Bristol C, he's lived in the Manchester area since around 2000.

I find him quite likeable.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Gardner's son is a huge United fan and he said himself that nowadays he cares more for United than Bristol C, he's lived in the Manchester area since around 2000.

I find him quite likeable.
Yeah seems a harmless bloke. Nice to hear he has an affinity to us at least, would be hard not to after so long really.

U99ted

I always thought Gardner was a good presenter and came off as likeable when on MUTV. I just didn't like him as a commentator.

CallyRed

Surprised he isn't a United fan.
I probably thought somewhat naively that in house commentators would be fans.
Then again if I was an aspiring sports broadcaster and Liverpool offered me an opportunity to talk about how great Nunez is...

dalriada

I've never had a problem with Stewart Gardner, I always found him well-informed and he had good knowledge of the club on account of the long time he was at MUTV. Paddy became a problem eventually as a co-commentator because of his age and failing memory - he was much sharper in the early days of MUTV. I thought Gardner and Ben Thornley were a good combination, bearing in mind MUTV doesn't have live first-team matches anyway.

stw2022

So who is the MUTV commentator now if he's doing stuff for the international feed for the Premier League?

RedfromIreland

Liam Bradford has done a few matches lately.
He’s done the radio commentary on MUTV and unfortunately he has carried some of those traits over to TV by commenting on ever pass. We can see what’s happening so we don’t need such intensity from his commentary.
Seems to love United by the excitement he exudes though.