Who is "the right striker" in the transfer market?

tomaldinho1

Vardy as a stop-gap for a season? The impression of him as a mere speed-merchant is inaccurate; he is decent in link-up play as he is currently showing in Rodger's system and he definitely knows how to make runs and finish.
That ship has sailed - he would have been a vastly superior (and cheaper) option to Lukaku when we signed him as he enhances teams that play on the counter. His stats at Leicester are phenomenal when you think they are, bar the crazy PL win and the start to this season, a mid table team. Would have loved him here but he's 32 and Leicester would take us to the cleaners for him.

Personally I think Ole's priorities are going to be finding someone who he can trust in front of goal but also has enough pace to suit his preference for pace. Callum Wilson will be a top target for him as will Dembele. Personally I think Haller should be on our radar - he's relatively young and seems to possess everything to make it as a top player, he's mobile, decent scoring record, physical, excellent aerially and great technique.

Melville Red

I would personally go for Callum Wilson at Bournemouth, can finish with both feet, head, great movement, pace, in his peak, Premier League proven, can hold the ball up as well, great anticipation, probably get him for maybe £50M ish, god knows in this market.

But he would be my pick.
And achievable bearing in mind we are not in the CL and won’t qualify for next years competition which rules out mega superstars.
I think that’s a good call there. I would have gone for Vardy after they won the league but he showed loyalty and he’s a bit long in the tooth now and very happy at Leicester so good luck to him I say, so yes Wilson for me as well.

StrettyEnder07

And achievable bearing in mind we are not in the CL and won’t qualify for next years competition which rules out mega superstars.
I think that’s a good call there. I would have gone for Vardy after they won the league but he showed loyalty and he’s a bit long in the tooth now and very happy at Leicester so good luck to him I say, so yes Wilson for me as well.
Yeah I am a massive fan of his, think he has 4 in 5 this season as well and would improve us drastically, personally would go for him, have Greenwood as his back up, have Martial/Rashford fight it out for the left but the issue now is we have bought another left winger in James haha

AkaAkuma

Zapata is your man: gifted, strong & fast enough to score in the more physically demanding PL.
The worry with him is that it's taken him how many seasons in serie A to breakthrough as a high scorer. I think he probably suited to staying in Italy.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Other than money why exactly would Sancho want to come to us when he could have his pick of any team in the world? He obviously enjoys Germany so signing for a club in Spain or Italy wouldn't faze him in the slightest . Pipe dream if you ask me.

We could of signed Ben Yedder for £30 in the summer. A hard worker, proven goal scorer and at 29 the perfect age to take some of the pressure off Rashford, Martial and Greenwood but since the club didn't deem it necessary we're set back another year.

If a proven goal scorer can't be found then I'd go all in for Maddison or Bruno. We don't have anyone to link play from midfield to the forward line and these 2 fit the bill perfectly. Gives us a lot more options playing because at the minute playing through the middle seems beyond us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Let's be realistic and try to sign Haland instead.

Martial, Greenwood and Haland should be enough to cover for CF role.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Basically, we need Harry Kane.
This is a pipe dream, even if Kane did decide to leave Spurs clubs all over Europe would be lining up to put in a bid. He would have his pick of places to go and currently we cannot offer what the likes of RM can.

Also Levy tax, English tax, would cost astronomical sums of money.

Nobody. Martial and Greenwood are enough.
Grenwood may grow into a great striker, he is not there yet, Martial I hope will kick on, at 23 he still has time to really develop his game. But I don't think either solve the here and now problem we currently have. I dont think any of Greenwood, Rashford or Martial should lead the line for United. I feel like their role within the club should be as squad players behind our main striker while they grow their game. Unfortunately we dont have a quality striker that will go out and smash in 20-30+ goals a season.

I look at the rival clubs for top 4, Aguero, Firmino, Kane, Aubemayang. Can we honestly say Rashford or Martial is better than any of these? Abrahams up front for Chelsea, sure. But the others, not a chance.

Any of the following could be signed in January and will prove value for money:

1: Victor Osimhen (speed, finishing - although just signed for Lille in summer)
2. Donyell Malen (finishing, dribbling)
3. Vangelis Pavlidis (hold up play, plan B)
4. Duván Zapata (experience, strength, finishing)
5. Niclas Füllkrug (bench option, hold up play, shooting from range)

It's bizarre we couldn't find ONE striker option who would have improved us this season. There's lots with potential and ability beyond the major teams and common names.
Im not sure any of these are upgrades over who we have currently. Arguable if they would be better than Martial, Rashford or Greenwood.

I often see threads on here about other teams unearthing talented youngsters and how we should be doing more of it. Well that is exactly what we are attempting with Rashford, Greenwood and to an extent Martial. The process takes time, and it is an investment. They could grow into true superstars ala Kane, but there is a period of time when they will be inconsistent, unpolished, raw potential. That is where we are in said process.

So then the question is do we want the finished article which in the current market a striker of real quality like a Kane will be easily 120mil+? Or are we happy to rebuild and give youth a shot? Although the counter argument I guess is it feels like we have been rebuilding since SAF left.

Shalashaska

If we try to sign a striker the only players I see being available are Haaland and Mandzukic without spending crazy money on a player who won't play for us for very long.

Mandzukic will score a few goals and wouldn't be a long term solution, but might help in games like the Palace game. But will be moved on within a year or so. Feels like a Chelsea signing tbh.

Haaland would be a risk right now, as he would clearly be a long term signing, but would be expected to come in and make some kind of instant impact. This could massively backfire and make us look like a joke in the transfer market (not an unfamiliar feeling these days)

I think once Rashford and Martial are fit again and get a run of games we will refocus on the midfield and right wing where we are more in need of signings. What we have isn't perfect but with good supply they will get enough goals.

MiceOnMeth

It needs to be someone who can pretty much guarantee you 20 league goals a season, plus another 10-15 or so in other competitions...we need a prolific, almost a goal every game striker. We need someone who won't take an eternity to settle in, who won't wilt under the pressure.

Basically, we need Harry Kane.
Even Kane ain't scoring a goal a game with us if we continue to create so little chances.

Infra-red

Literally anyone who can reliably score goals would be a significant improvement on our current options.

SER19

Should have got that mandzukic deal done in summer. Was blatant we needed a back up

luke511

Lawrence Shankland from Dundee United, in ridiculous form at the moment. Was shocked to see him not move up a few levels in the summer after two seasons of being a beast in front of goal. I've watched him loads of times and it always impresses me how naturally clinical he is, he'd do the job for us at least as back up.

Eric7C

That ship has sailed - he would have been a vastly superior (and cheaper) option to Lukaku when we signed him as he enhances teams that play on the counter. His stats at Leicester are phenomenal when you think they are, bar the crazy PL win and the start to this season, a mid table team. Would have loved him here but he's 32 and Leicester would take us to the cleaners for him.
Good point. He is getting old, but that's why I said only for a season. I wouldn't mind him in January; not going to happen of course.

Personally I think Ole's priorities are going to be finding someone who he can trust in front of goal but also has enough pace to suit his preference for pace. Callum Wilson will be a top target for him as will Dembele. Personally I think Haller should be on our radar - he's relatively young and seems to possess everything to make it as a top player, he's mobile, decent scoring record, physical, excellent aerially and great technique.
Haller is a good shout, but we will have to see how he performs over a whole season.

Bulldog United

Mandzukic would have been a great fit at the start of the season, once we knew Dybala chances fell apart. I think he would have adapted very quickly to life here.

It’s a real struggle coming up with names of bankers in front of goal who we could realistically sign right now.

Dozer

Lawrence Shankland from Dundee United, in ridiculous form at the moment. Was shocked to see him not move up a few levels in the summer after two seasons of being a beast in front of goal. I've watched him loads of times and it always impresses me how naturally clinical he is, he'd do the job for us at least as back up.
Signed him for various Championship clubs on FM19 and he always bangs them in. Was also surprised he didn't move to the SPL at least.

hobbers

Dembele is awful.

Mandzukic would have been reasonable for the money talked about, as a short term stop gap.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He didn't say he wanted a striker to lead the line. He said we needed a forward for 'creativity and goals'. It's pretty clear that right wing and #10 are the biggest weaknesses in our team so that makes sense.

Dybala was one we wanted and he would have been perfect but he didn't want to come.
no.. he said we need a striker and a creative... didn't he?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Dybalas image right made the transfer impossible. It's the same reason the deal fell through for Tottenham.

As for those wanting stop-gap players. Are we really going through a outspoken rebuild, and now bring in no-term solutions to appease panicked fans? What's the point in bringing in players that might not fit the bill.

I'd throw big money at Aubameyang. Of course the chance of Arsenal selling him in the January window to a top4 rival is about as big as the sun quantum tunneling away to the Crab Nebula.

Haaland as a prospect signing would be very interesting, but I don't think he's ready to tear up the PL just yet.
the one-day rumour of us getting him was the most exciting thing of the entire sumer! I think he would be brilliant for us

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Dybalas image right made the transfer impossible. It's the same reason the deal fell through for Tottenham.

As for those wanting stop-gap players. Are we really going through a outspoken rebuild, and now bring in no-term solutions to appease panicked fans? What's the point in bringing in players that might not fit the bill.

I'd throw big money at Aubameyang. Of course the chance of Arsenal selling him in the January window to a top4 rival is about as big as the sun quantum tunneling away to the Crab Nebula.

Haaland as a prospect signing would be very interesting, but I don't think he's ready to tear up the PL just yet.
Aubameyang is on the wrong side of 30 and not a long term solution...

DRM

You can forget Kane, he would cost near enough £180M or even 200M. Besides, I don't think he will want to join a backwards club like United, I think he'll end up at Real to replace bemzema

King Andow

Considering we already have 2 good and young ones that will get better, Martial and Greenwood, I think it makes sense to go for an experienced striker that offers something we don't have, physical presence and aerial threat. Wout Weghorst is a good shout, 27, 6″6, good hold-up play, 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 this season. Zapata is also an interesting option, 28, big and strong, 5 and 1 assist in 7. I haven't seen a lot of Callum Wilson but right now I wouldn't mind him either, good backup. All cheap, available in January and I can't see them having a problem with sitting on the bench too, so why not.

AFC NimbleThumb

There isn’t a ‘right striker’, OgS is chatting s*** as he has a tendency to do.

This guy has thrust Chong into a first team berth before he is ready, so much so when we’re 1-0 down for the majority of a second half he didn’t even bring Chong on.

He’s proposing buying a striker in January, a period in which teams are less likely to sell their players than the summer. His words ring so hollow.

6/7 games in & he’s already telling people to bare with him until the next transfer window, if the money was there he should have spent it on attackers &/or midfielders - this squad was never good enough & going by his words, he thought it was. He should leave for that alone.

Jibbs

Erling Braut Håland. The only guy who checks all the boxes. We should be going after him for whatever it takes, do the deal in winter even if the transfer happen in Summer 2020.

tomaldinho1

Good point. He is getting old, but that's why I said only for a season. I wouldn't mind him in January; not going to happen of course.

Yh I'd agree if he was on a free or v cheap, just Leicester have too much money to bully.

Haller is a good shout, but we will have to see how he performs over a whole season.
Yh he's one i think can make the jump, his stats in Germany were phenomenal and he seems to have hit the ground reasonably well at West Ham (especially as I really don't think they are a great attacking team) as he's got 3 goals in 6 games and an assist. If he gets on penos, as I think Noble is designated taker currently) I reckon he'll comfortably get 15+ for them in the league.

TRUERED89

Poch aint all that...

Stick with Ole and let him build his team. You shift Ole out, you're back at the start again, with another manager with a different idea of how to play football, with differing views on players, with a new style...we're forever in a perpetual stage of transition.
6 and a half years and counting :(

OleGunnar20

Haland would be perfect, and the Ole link surely must help (whether his old man would be too pleased is another question!).

I like Edouard of Celtic, Martinez of Inter, just your typical FM legends. Maybe Werner? Although I've seen very little of him really. Moussa Dembele would be a Lukaku-esque mistake IMO.

In terms of mature strikers ready to come in and RVP our #9 position? I don't know of any who are both available (Kane) and not insane (Icardi), so would prefer to aim for the next big thing and show some patience.

Return Rashford to compete with James for the LW and get the new guy, Martial & Greenwood competing for the starting position.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nobody. Martial and Greenwood are enough.
I want it to be but I'm not convinced of it. The jury is still out on whether Martial is there but I think he may be. When he's injured though Greenwood and Rashford aren't good enough at the moment. They probably would be if we actually had a good team, which is why I think sorting the other positions on the wings and in midfield is the priority.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If we can't get our first choice (presumably younger) options, Edinson Cavani on a 2-3 year deal would be mint, IMO — maybe even in January if Paris Saint-Germain are willing to sell him for €20 million (contract expires in the summer so they might bite). Will turn 33 in the new year so he won't block the path of heir apparent Greenwood, a physical presence up top with good hold-up play, and a hard worker/presser with exceptional movement in or around the box. Alternate him with the young lads because he's not at prime fitness level any more and can't be counted upon as a regular starter, and let them learn from one of the best strikers of the decade. A big chunk of United supporters pooh-poohed the Ibrahimović deal but it actually quite decent, and Cavani could have a similar effect (he's by no means as charismatic as Zlatan but would still be a welcome addition to a team and attack that is bereft of high-caliber experience or leadership ability).

Would be uncharacteristic of United to sign him, though — we aren't known for being short-term wheeler dealers in the mercato. On a side note, João Moutinho's contract expires in the summer as well, and he, too, would be a shrewd short-term acquisition if we can't get our priority players (or are skint or choose to spend the bulk of our budget on other areas).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was only saying that because that is the only way we get Kane.

Strikers are very hard to get right, there are not many out there at the moment that will come and score a bucket of goals in the price range we are looking at.

This is why Ole wants to see what Martial / Rashford can do as he can turn round to them at the end of the season saying I gave you both a chance you didn't take it now be happy on the left.
Why would getting Poch get Kane?
Kane loves Tottenham, not Poch!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we can't get our first choice (presumably younger) options, Edinson Cavani on a 2-3 year deal would be mint, IMO — maybe even in January if Paris Saint-Germain are willing to sell him for €20 million (contract expires in the summer so they might bite). Will turn 33 in the new year so he won't block the path of heir apparent Greenwood, a physical presence up top with good hold-up play, and a hard worker/presser with exceptional movement in or around the box. Alternate him with the young lads because he's not at prime fitness level any more and can't be counted upon as a regular starter, and let them learn from one of the best strikers of the decade. A big chunk of United supporters pooh-poohed the Ibrahimović deal but it actually quite decent, and Cavani could have a similar effect (he's by no means as charismatic as Zlatan but would still be a welcome addition to a team and attack that is bereft of high-caliber experience or leadership ability).

Would be uncharacteristic of United to sign him, though — we aren't known for being short-term wheeler dealers in the mercato. On a side note, João Moutinho's contract expires in the summer as well, and he, too, would be a shrewd short-term acquisition if we can't get our priority players (or are skint or choose to spend the bulk of our budget on other areas).
Could you imagine the scenes on here if we signed a 33 year old Cavani on a 3 year deal?