Who is your preferred next owner of Manchester United?

Bert_

I was adamantly against the Qatar bid if it was a state funded bid. However - it seems to be from an individual and their own private wealth and the individual just happens to be from Qatar, i’m not saying he won’t have links to the state and we have to be careful and above all I want the club to be a welcoming place for all supporters. But If their statement is to be believed and they are genuinely a long time supporter of the club (and judging from pics of him in our kit on social media, he is.) then I like the sound of this bid. But other than that I would like Ratcliffe, though we don’t know who the potential others are yet either
Seen this in the other thread. Still :lol:

nangis

Qatar pls!! Don't like Ratcliffe as he likes to take a hand in club's football things

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We can can compete with any of them sans Glazers. And thats as far as we can. FFP means you can't inject money into clubs like City/PSG/Chelsea have in the past. All we need to (and can do) is take the Glazer shackles off.

Even with those shackles, we have regularly outbid other teams for players (Pogba, Lukaku, Maguire, Sanchez, Di Maria). Look how that turned out. This isn't FIFA.
FFP was never our problem, as our wealth are mostly self generated anyway. Only thing in the past, we are working on relatively limited budget due to our huge debts, and we spend heavily on wrong signings too, but not the best ones.

Now we solve one big problem in having a great manager with ETH, the only problems left is Glazer and our huge debt.

We simply need an owner who could give full backing to ETH, Qatar is most likely to do that for us.

Bert_

FFP was never our problem, as our wealth are mostly self generated anyway. Only thing in the past, we are working on relatively limited budget due to our huge debts, and we spend heavily on wrong signings too, but not the best ones.

Now we solve one big problem in having a great manager with ETH, the only problems left is Glazer and our huge debt.

We simply need an owner who could give full backing to ETH, Qatar is most likely to do that for us.
And if we get rid of the Glazers and their debt + their syphoning of revenue then we don't need more money. Just someone who doesn't interfere. Who is more likely to interfere? Qatar or Ineos?

Water Melon

Qatar. They will wipe the debt off, invest in facilities and the neighbourhood, spend enough to make us competitive and never saddle us with debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert_

Again, care to elaborate or you have absolutey nothing to contribute at all? Which is likely
He was pictured wearing a united shirt, therefore he is a genuine long time supporter of the club and has its best interest at heart? Come on man.

L1nk

He was pictured wearing a united shirt, therefore he is a genuine long time supporter of the club and has its best interest at heart? Come on man.
Did you just not read my post at all? I said IF his statement was to be believed then it looks like the dream scenario bid in certain ways, but that scrutiny is needed for obvious reasons. The fact he has watched matches at Old Trafford in our colours, and there is picture evidence of said thing happening, that tells me there is at least something there. Even if he is not that’s hardly a qualifying factor is it considering its likely all other bidders are just as likely to not be a supporter of the club - even Ratcliff spent many years preferring to follow Chelsea

Bert_

Did you just not read my post at all? I said IF his statement was to be believed then it looks like the dream scenario bid in certain ways, but that scrutiny is needed for obvious reasons. The fact he has watched matches at Old Trafford in our colours, and there is picture evidence of said thing happening, that tells me there is at least something there. Even if he is not that’s hardly a qualifying factor is it considering its likely all other bidders are just as likely to not be a supporter of the club - even Ratcliff spent many years preferring to follow Chelsea
Well you set a low bar in that case.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Will be retching if another burden of debt is laden on the club after takeover.

L1nk

Well you set a low bar in that case.
What else do you want? Nobody who can afford the club is going to be reputable. Wanting someone who wants to invest in both teams, in the infrastructure, the stadium, the facilities, the support and the wider community whilst also completely wiping the debt and having a massively outstanding moral output in life and business and is welcoming to all peoples is by far and away the highest the bar can possibly get and it is what I want for this club but it’s not realistic in the slightest really is it. According to this guys statement he wants to provide at least some if not most of that, is it bs to some degree? Most likely, but that’s why it needs to be scrutinised and vetted.

Please tell me what you want

Bert_

What else do you want? Nobody who can afford the club is going to be reputable. Wanting someone who wants to invest in both teams, in the infrastructure, the stadium, the facilities, the support and the wider community whilst also completely wiping the debt and having a massively outstanding moral output in life and business and is welcoming to all peoples is by far and away the highest the bar can possibly get and it is what I want for this club but it’s not realistic in the slightest really is it. According to this guys statement he wants to provide at least some if not most of that, is it bs to some degree? Most likely, but that’s why it needs to be scrutinised and vetted.

Please tell me what you want
What I want won't happen (50+1) so I'd go for the least worst option and the most likely for us to succeed without becoming a circus. I'd also seriously take into account an exit strategy for future owners if it all goes to shit. Someone buying us for a multi-billion PR campaign and vanity project isn't going to have one.

Yakuza_devils

I have no preference whoever be our owner. But I definitely want the best for the club. Hence, the owner must not saddle us with debts again. Not sure how this works but I think Glazers loaned about 600M to buy the club and we have repaid about 1.5B but our debts is still at 500M today.

If Jim bought us for 4B to 5B the loan must be much higher and the repayment could be a much bigger disaster than what we had with Glazers. That haven't even catered in the investment needed for the squad and infrastructure. The total costs could be up to 7B to 8B. I think this is too big for Jim to be in it not for profit.

We have no other option but to go with state ownership if we want to be debt free.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Going by what's being reported, in some capacity there will be GS and JPM's interest in all of this if Sir Jim ends up being the owner. If we want to mention ethics, its only fair we mention the very grey areas these big financial institutions were involved in the past.

Just a few confirmed and widely reported cases can be easily found just by googling. Scandals involving thousands of people losing their hard earned money and property because of shortcomings in operations and yet no one held accountable and all they got for it was a slap on the cheek kind of fine.

Mwooyo

Qatar is the obvious choice. Jim Ratcliffe is just a continuation of the debt thing. Yes he will pin it against ineos but it will still be associated debt. Any debt on his side will affect his spending on our side. Besides that, both Jim and the qatar dude are lifelong manutd fans. The only reason some on here are really rooting for Jim is becoz he is british. We need to be in a position where we can do the work in the transfer window along with massive investments into a new stadium.

I dont see how sir jim can fund all that if he is already borrowing right now. Qatar is the best option right now...maybe in the future we get another option like dubai or apple but for now qatar is like 5 times better than sir jim

Reactions: oates

croadyman

Qatar is the obvious choice. Jim Ratcliffe is just a continuation of the debt thing. Yes he will pin it against ineos but it will still be associated debt. Any debt on his side will affect his spending on our side. Besides that, both Jim and the qatar dude are lifelong manutd fans. The only reason some on here are really rooting for Jim is becoz he is british. We need to be in a position where we can do the work in the transfer window along with massive investments into a new stadium.

I dont see how sir jim can fund all that if he is already borrowing right now. Qatar is the best option right now...maybe in the future we get another option like dubai or apple but for now qatar is like 5 times better than sir jim
Apple are probably only ones who could afford us if the club was up for sale again in future

cyril C

Someone rich enough to be able to throw in 5B without borrowing, add another 1B to build a new stadium, love and respect the club enough not to extract dividend excessively. When result not going well, stupid enough to chip in 2-300m every summer, in order to beef up the squad.

Only 1 such person had happened in the past 20 years, but he was Russian. So need to look east (or south)

AndySmith1990

Qatar. We'll be debt free. Infrastructure and facilities will be invested in so they're state of the art. Ten Hag will be able to build the team of his dreams. We'll be able to bin off shit like Maguire without worrying about the loss

I care about the state of the club and as long as we're operated legitimately without breaking rules that's good enough for me. Couldn't give a feck what his family and friends get up to in their own country

The Dane

Ratcliffe sounds like the obvious choice but I just don’t get how you can be a lifelong United fan and then wanting to buy Chelsea. Will Liverpool be next it he doesn’t get United.
Unless of course it is pure business and ROI and then I fear we might end up in the same situation as we are in today with the Glazer’s.

Idxomer

I don't have a preference yet for what's best for United.

As far as humanity is concerned they all seem to be as bad as each other.

Jacob

Qatar, they're on a mission and it's not money-driven.

Don't mix politics and sports, and let's not be hypocrites. Most of you go to Dubai on vacations and probably watched the World Cup.

No more protecting book value bullshit. Buy out Jones to start with.

led_scholes

I think every United fan would choose that option over Qatar/INEOS if that was a realistic possibility but like you said, never gonna happen.
I m not so sure about this; a "realistic" fan bid will not be able to match the spending of other owners. I think some people will prefer a Bezos/Musk/Qatari takeover, just for the potential funding.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There is a higher chance of sensible and discerning transfers coming in with Ratcliffe than there will be under Qatari ownership. I get the sense that the latter will prioritise prestige and vulgar excess even if it comes at the cost of a disjointed team of individual superstars. PSG is one example.

matt10000

I disagree. Without Qatar money backing, we won't be able to outbid the likes of City, Real, PSG, Chelsea to sign the likes of Mbappe, Haaland, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Enzo, Felix during recent years. We are now in the era to compete with those mega rich clubs with crazy spending on the best young players in the game, having to rely heavily on loanees like Weghorst or Sabitzer instead just won't be enough.
I don’t care, we have always been successful because of football success not because of external money. Lir success means something

AFC NimbleThumb

There is a higher chance of sensible and discerning transfers coming in with Ratcliffe than there will be under Qatari ownership. I get the sense that the latter will prioritise prestige and vulgar excess even if it comes at the cost of a disjointed team of individual superstars. PSG is one example.
Based on?

Von Mistelroum

I would have huge reservations about Ratcliffe. His plan seems to be to borrow a load of money and we've seen this before.

Sure, he says he wants to put that debt in his own company and not United, but what do we think happens if our owner gets in financial trouble? If we're left with a struggling other then you can bet your bottom dollar that United will suffer... Again.

Grande

Qatar, they're on a mission and it's not money-driven.

Don't mix politics and sports, and let's not be hypocrites. Most of you go to Dubai on vacations and probably watched the World Cup.
When politicians buy sports clubs for political ends, the only possible meaning of ‘don’t mix politics and sports’ would be to oppose that. Hitler used the entire Olympics 1936 as a propaganda show for nazism, complete with German athletes doing sieg heils from the podium. Mussolini had the Italian world champions in 1938 play with black fascist armbands. Saying ‘don’t mix politics and sports’ and cheering along with that is just a lie and a self deceit.

Jassim al Thani and Tamim al Thani is personally responsible for putting people in prison for life for voicing disagreement with their dictatorial rule.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/05/qatar-quash-life-sentences-for-activists/

These are the persons you actually want to own Man United and to decide Uniteds future?

And hypocrites? Haven’t we all thrown people in life time jail for disagreeing with us? Is that what you mean?

DevilRed

So far we've only got two choices. Qatar and Jim.

Nobody else has been confirmed.

If its between the two that are confirmed, then I would choose the party that doesn't need to borrow money to purchase us.

SER19

Anybody but a murderous state backed sportswashing group. Would sooner see Glazers hold on

Ratcliffe sounds like the obvious choice but I just don’t get how you can be a lifelong United fan and then wanting to buy Chelsea.
Because INEOS believe that football is a very sound investment, bit like property in central London.

Chelsea was up for sale, United wasn’t.

My worry with ME investment is that they run it like PSG, giving more shits about Galaticos than running a real football club. We should be run according to FFP so INEOS in that sense should be able to invest as much.

If we win things with ETH and our current plan, it’ll have real meaning, just as an Arsenal league win would. If the Qataris come in, try to feck FFP and invest silly sums with dodgy deals, like with City, success means absolutely nothing.

I’ll wait to hear more about the bids. Clearly the Qatari statement was a see through attempt to get fans onside.

Last edited:

Jacob

When politicians buy sports clubs for political ends, the only possible meaning of ‘don’t mix politics and sports’ would be to oppose that. Hitler used the entire Olympics 1936 as a propaganda show for nazism, complete with German athletes doing sieg heils from the podium. Mussolini had the Italian world champions in 1938 play with black fascist armbands. Saying ‘don’t mix politics and sports’ and cheering along with that is just a lie and a self deceit.

Jassim al Thani and Tamim al Thani is personally responsible for putting people in prison for life for voicing disagreement with their dictatorial rule.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2022/05/qatar-quash-life-sentences-for-activists/

These are the persons you actually want to own Man United and to decide Uniteds future?

And hypocrites? Haven’t we all thrown people in life time jail for disagreeing with us? Is that what you mean?
Buying a match ticket off of said person is no worse than sponsoring their economy with tourism.