Who replaces Martial for Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Jaae

Not ITK
Cavani but might be too soon. Not sure on fitness. Pogba needs dropping regardless for Van de Beek, otherwise I would say go 4-3-1-2. Maybe 3-5-2, but that involves playing 3 of our disastrous defenders... meh.
De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Williams Van de Beek Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford​
Exactly the side I'd go for. Step away from this god awful 4231.

Foxbatt

The issue is Ole is not tactically amazing to come with something different. He only has 4-2-3-1 formation. I feel since the lockdown was iver he has become even more rigid. Atleast before that he used to have different formation for big games now he just has one formation.
I really do not understand how a supposedly top quality manager can be so blind? I mean even a blind man can see that. A good manager will shoehorn in the best way to get the best out of his players. Footballing intelligence is something a player has or at least has to be taught a bit. We are so open all the time. People blaming Maguire for the 2nd goal is wrong. Bailly switched off completely. He has done so many a times. I do not think if Lindelof was playing we would have conceded the first three goals. Tha said the whole defence led by Maguire was a shambles.
Most of these could have been eliminated in training. Look at the Villa first goal. We probably would not have scored it like that. Grealish simply squared it. Our strikers will take it themselves. We do not play as a team.
It may be our good luck that we play against Newcastle next. But we must change our system. We must get two forwards playing close to each other. We must play a 4 man midfield with maybe Greenwood and Rashford playing close to each other.
I do not think we need DVB. He is a player who passes and moves and expects passes to come to open space. He is not a push and run player like we play.

CG1010

Reportedly Cavani is out of the Newcastle game as he has to quaratine for 14 days. I doubt he is playing a game without training with the team even once.

So then who? I really would like Van De Beek tried at false 9 position. Or else a 3-5-2 - try to see if Telles is any good

el3mel

Since Cavani seems out it'll be Rashford center, Greenwood right and James left. Can't see anything else.

zenith

Play 5-3-2 or 4-2-2-2 formation with cavani and rashford up front.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Reportedly Cavani is out of the Newcastle game as he has to quaratine for 14 days. I doubt he is playing a game without training with the team even once.

So then who? I really would like Van De Beek tried at false 9 position. Or else a 3-5-2 - try to see if Telles is any good
I thought “elite sports” were exempt? Or have we been downgraded following recent performances?

Pav1878

Got to be cavani central with Rashford on left and I would go for Bruno on the right and VDB behind the front three making late runs into the box.

James should never play for us again. Absolutely terrible player.

Would say the same for Maguire but we all know he will be here for years to come whether he is any good or not.

Sigh.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Cavani but might be too soon. Not sure on fitness. Pogba needs dropping regardless for Van de Beek, otherwise I would say go 4-3-1-2. Maybe 3-5-2, but that involves playing 3 of our disastrous defenders... meh.
De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Bailly
AWB Van de Beek Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford​
I hope this is the case, but I'd go:

De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Bailly
AWB Van de Beek Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Front 3 will be Rashford, Greenwood, Mata/James.

SER19

Id go with the 352 - 532 and stick with it for the season to be honest

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I thought “elite sports” were exempt? Or have we been downgraded following recent performances?
Players who have been in an 'elite bubble' are indeed exempt. Cavani left PSG in June though so he hasn't been in any such environment for months. Hence he has to isolate before he joins your squad.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Does Igahlo still plays for United? I don’t think he has been mentioned once. He is more match fit than Cavani and has more understanding with our players. That is unbelievable and shows poor recruiting

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Mata was an absolute boss vs Brighton, he deserves to play.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Players who have been in an 'elite bubble' are indeed exempt. Cavan left PSG in June though so he hasn't been in any such environment for months. Hence he has to isolate before he joins your squad.
Ah yeah, makes sense.

Devil may care

De Gea
Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Williams Van de Beek Fred Telles
Bruno
Greenwood Rashford​
This is the obvious route to go, we don't have the options for Ole's preferred formation.

joedirt87

4-3-2-1 for Newcastle is what I would do. Let Greenwood come on to make an impact in the 2nd half.

De Gea
AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
Fred Matic van De Beek
Fernandes Pogba
Rashford​

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't we appeal. 3 games for that is incredibly harsh
Its very harsh. Surprised we haven't appealed

Disappointing for martial. That'll be six league games into the PL season and no goal for him.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Do you think it matters much which choice we go for, considering how shit the team is these days when we have our best players available?

But purely for the sake of answering, I would play James on the left, Rashford up top and Bruno to the right, with VdB, Pogba and one of the meh-trio.

Remember the geese

I have posted this elsewhere, but it seems to fit this thread too.

I've been a bit of a lone campaigner for wanting to see Bruno play in the false nine position. I feel that him dropping into pockets, being flanked by two of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood would be really interesting to see. It would also mean we could play Pogba further up, in a role that suits him more. All in all, it would give us better balance as we could field both Fred and Matic to do the dirty work. Now that Martial is suspended, this is the perfect opportunity to try it out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact is that Martial is a good player - even if one day we need a more consistent traditional number 9; I believe martial is good enough to be number 2 for any top club.

Why I say that is the 352 with a partnership of

1) Rashford & Greenwood
2) Martial & Rashford
3) Martial & a future left footed striker providing balance to Greenwood(traore or even Haaland)
4) Martial & Greenwood
4) Rashford & a future left footed striker

May all be the future tactic that we play with if we change our front line to be more predatory.

Van de Beek is also a player that will benefit a 2 man striker partnership because he can play as a CAM/False 9 making the runs to widen the front 2 when needed.

If we had to include Pogba and Van de Beek in the team we should play this.

De gea
Lindelof- Maguire
AWB---Matic---Shaw
Bruno- Pogba
VDB
Greenwood- Rashford

A 235:​
Matic is the player that turns a back 2 in to a back 3 when defensively under pressure (the Fabinho or Fernandinho of our squad). VDB, Bruno, and Pogba drop in to defensive areas in midfield to restart a counter between the players. AwB and Shaw are defensive on the wide flanks to aim to tackle and recycle possession towards our centre midfielders who can create.

When the counter is ready, VDB makes a run forward whilst Greenwood and Rashford widen up to get the ball on the counter and make a run in behind the defence. Bruno & Pogba then have the ability to make a pass to the inverted forwards or play it centrally to VDB who has also made an intelligent run to either play it on to the forwards or spread out the opposition defence. Bruno and Pogba individually have the ability to shoot from far aswell.

The 352 is a 532 on the defence and a 235 on the attack. Players like VDB, Bruno and Pogba have all the defensive cover the require to play creatively.

Last edited:

MrSingh2002

Henderson
AWB Tuanzebe Mengi Telles
Matic Pogba
Mata VDB Rashford
Greenwood

tomaldinho1

Greenwood at CF, massive chance for him to play in his preferred role. Reckon Ole will play Lingard on the RW.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
3-2-4-1

----Bailly---Maguire---Lindelof
AWB--------------------------------------Telles
------------Bruno--Matic--Pogba--------
-------------------Beek------------------
---------------------------Rashford-----------

Foxbatt

Bailly at CF as no one knows what he is going to do next. I think the shock factor may be to good effect.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I read Cavani has to fulfill his quarantine still, he will barely have practice

CG1010

Can't we appeal. 3 games for that is incredibly harsh
Can you even appeal with VAR there these days? I am not even sure as technically someone has already reviewed the refree decision which means direct ban for 3 games and it's not like he has been given extra penalty for violent behaviour or anything.

But I agree it is very harsh. Perhaps rules need to change so that it is not a ban of 3 games automatically..

CG1010

Do you think it matters much which choice we go for, considering how shit the team is these days when we have our best players available?

But purely for the sake of answering, I would play James on the left, Rashford up top and Bruno to the right, with VdB, Pogba and one of the meh-trio.
We have to do something to change it! I really hope rather than being disgruntled at transfers, Ole is actively thinking about how to overturn our form (and conclude that Pogba needs to be dropped and defence needs to be protected more until the defence regains it's confidence). But a big part of it would be to show we can regain our ability to attack in open play again..

RedCurry

Either Cavani or Greenwood. If Greenwood moves central, I would have either VDB or Bruno play on the right.

We should go 2 up top, greenwood and Rashford I’m not sure I trust them as lone strikers.

BlahRules

Since Cavani seems out it'll be Rashford center, Greenwood right and James left. Can't see anything else.
Funny thing is Greenwood plays better than Rashford as a CF. Rashford keeps getting bullied as a CF and dont have the link up play to play the role effectively.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Play 352 With wingbacks.

henderson

Lindaloff - maguire - Shaw

AWB - Bruno - Fred - Telles

donny

rashford - Greenwood.​

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Has to be Cavani or VDB and play some sort of Diamond.
Surely he wont be match fit by then? Doesn't he also have to do quarantine for 10+ days? Means he only has access to basic hotel gym.

I can see him coming on as sub vs Newcastle and after that lets see. But am looking forward to seeing what he has to offer and hope he can become a cult hero.

Andy_Cole

Surely he wont be match fit by then? Doesn't he also have to do quarantine for 10+ days? Means he only has access to basic hotel gym.

I can see him coming on as sub vs Newcastle and after that lets see. But am looking forward to seeing what he has to offer and hope he can become a cult hero.
Yeh I wasn’t aware of the quarantine when posting that.

Maybe Ighalo then.