Who replaces Ten Hag?

gaffs

Part of the problem is I don’t think he’s had the players to protect that back 4 I don’t think many could with how we want to play and the knock on effects of so much disruption to that back line on a club that has just signed Onana who is one of the build up GKs of world football is telling.

I think you plop Guardiola into the exact same circumstances but just his managerial accumen and I’d be stunned if we were in a far better position.
Play with a double pivot, Case and Amrabat. Although they have rarely been available at the same time. I would have liked to see that v Newcastle on Wednesday.

Not sure about Pep, but Howe took a team with 7 players that had not started in the Premier League this year, as well a back four made up of full backs, and smashed us.

That shows us that the ETH United team relies on individual superiority rather than a collective cohesion.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Play with a double pivot, Case and Amrabat. Although they have rarely been available at the same time. I would have liked to see that v Newcastle on Wednesday.
I feel sorry for Amrabat he’s been pushed pillar to post as a result of injuries. Seems a decent enough employee but I do wonder if he’s cut out for it.

croadyman

You need a strong manager in these circumstances, not just someone who plays pretty football. Potter would do feck all even if I do think he can become a very good manager.

De Zerbi is another who I think will be too ‘small’ (not physically :lol:) for the job. The likes of Simeone would suit it with his personality but his tactics will piss everyone off.

Though personally I’d find it a hilarious playing as Atletico Madrid and shithousing to victory
Yeah I so wish Simeone had a more expansive brand of football because he seems like that manager who has the personality to get instant buy in from his players

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It doesn't matter who the manager is. We will end up in the same shapeless puddle of despair every time until the ownership changes. The Glazers are relying on fans stupidity to not see that and keep believing. And the fans are to a certain extent are not letting them down. This is why ETH should be supported. Because otherwise he becomes a scapegoat.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Interim until summer. Carrick.
Why would he leave to join this shit show?
I genuinely don’t think Carrick or McKenna would touch Utd with a 20ft pole. They’ve both been there and seen this shitshow circus of a club from the inside. I’m confident they know they are better off out of here, at least until we get a change of ownership.

ArmaDino

It doesn't matter who the manager is. We will end up in the same shapeless puddle of despair every time until the ownership changes. The Glazers are relying on fans stupidity to not see that and keep believing. And the fans are to a certain extent are not letting them down. This is why ETH should be supported. Because otherwise he becomes a scapegoat.
Bingo! All the mangers since Moyes were backed to the rune of 300 million. All of them have failed to implement a footballing style and all of them have called us a PR firm basically. And yet there are people who still believe that a new manager will succeed.

Plant0x84

May not be such a bad idea. You know that no coach can/will/want to come in and implement his approach with 2/3rd of the season to play.

Ole for all his weaknesses would be good at pulling the squad back together -- at least till the end of the season.
I love Ole, I don’t think Ole did badly at all and I would have loved to see him lift some silverware , I was Ole in right to the bitter end - but seriously nobody wants that do they?
Would be such a huge backwards step to lose Erik and return to counterattacking Ole ball.

dinostar77

Two years ago, EtH was the one of best upcoming managers. He played good football with Ajax, almost everyone thinking we going to change and play to certain type.

Two years later, we are thinking about best upcming managers that going to change ua and play better football. Have it occurs to us that maybe its not the managers, rather its the players themselves that we got here that cant play or care to change to fit the football we fans want to see. We still have on our hand players that last almost ten years and still be here. Players that last after several managers, players that downtools and put the manager under the bus and dont care much because they know the top and fans will just go for easy option and sack the manager.

If we want change then it have to be the wholesale change from top to bottom and we have to go for the best manager possible. Someone like Zidane, has the pedigree, allure, power to get ride off old players that we have. Rashford, Bruno to name a few cant still be here. Their best football is not the football fans want. They work best in counter. The top and fans have to back the manager, change and stomach the pain during the difficult period. We might have to buy like what Ragnik said. And start from scratch otherwise ita still going to be the same story two yeara later.
this post sums it up nicely.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I love Ole, I don’t think Ole did badly at all and I would have loved to see him lift some silverware , I was Ole in right to the bitter end - but seriously nobody wants that do they?
Would be such a huge backwards step to lose Erik and return to counterattacking Ole ball.
If we lose today I think ETH isnt going to ever dig himself out of this current hole.

So we will need a short-term fix. We aren't going to get an optimal manager in the short term.

I am sure Ole knows his limitations. But you need someone to put this humpty dumpty/broken squad -- that is clearly not playing for the manager -- back together.

He is a fantastic servant for the club, like Fat Frank, he would come back just to get the club into some shape at least till the end of the season.

Plant0x84

If we lose today I think ETH isnt going to ever dig himself out of this current hole.

So we will need a short-term fix. We aren't going to get an optimal manager in the short term.

I am sure Ole knows his limitations. But you need someone to put this humpty dumpty/broken squad -- that is clearly not playing for the manager -- back together.

He is a fantastic servant for the club, like Fat Frank, he would come back just to get the club into some shape at least till the end of the season.
Fair enough, I don’t see it myself. More chance we actually get Fat Frank!
I can however foresee a scenario where Erik and Mitch leave and we appoint McClaren til the end of the season if it comes to that.

m1tch

I don't think counterattacking football that wins games is a backwards step at all. There's little to suggest we're # number of days/weeks/months away from this squad being able to play in any other way.

I'd not take Ole back till the end of the season, half for his own good given how fans see him, and half because I doubt the players would play for him this time either (so no bounce).

We need to replace EtH sooner rather than later, because it's just inevitable now that it's become obvious he can't field anywhere near 11 players that want to play for him. We need to have a different style of manager though, but there lies the tricky bit, these players don't like discipline (Jose), a friend (Ole), a manager overachieving at a smaller club (EtH). I think it has to be Zidane but it's going to be another expensive experiment if we can even convince him.

Yanited__

@Yanited__ Plays a 3-4-2-1…

Name me of our current players who could play that successfully?

Takes time to coach that system do you think he’d be afforded that given how little Ten Hag is being given despite having no LB owned by the club and our two best CBs injured or not fully fit?
You answered your first point with your second point, I actually agree with you, he will need time to coach it. The real issue here is exactly that.

Everyone says at the start of a new United's manager's career that they need 2-3 years. Then we get into the second season and suddenly expectations are high, and the narrative/seed is planted about sacking.

In ETH's case, I actually think his first season hurt him more. Yes, winning the Carabao cup, playing an FA Cup final and finishing 3rd probably got him credit in the bank, however, it equally raised expectations.

The answer to that question about timing comes back to the club. Fans will always be inpatient and demand change, but this is where the club lacks leadership at board room level. If they believe in a manager like ETH, or in the future a manager like Amorim, then hold firm with them. Don't let outside pressure get to you unless it is getting really bad (i.e Potter at Chelsea).

Dazzmondo

There won't be anything done until Ratcliffe gets officially involved and the staff are decided. We're going to have a new CEO and DOF so there will be no plans whatsoever in place to replace ETH yet. Hopefully this Ratcliffe thing is sorted soon and we can get the recruitment team and structure in place to give a manager like De Zerbi, Alonso, Flick, etc the opportunity to get the team playing their style of football.

Whoever comes in should have very limited control of transfers. That's the most important change that needs to be made. Let the DOF (looks like Paul Mitchell) and scouts decide that. The good thing about this season basically being over already is they'll at least have the time to change things and start applying their philosophy and tactics without much pressure, much the same way ETH benefitted from having less pressure in his first season (even if that supposed philosophy we got him for never happened).

Yanited__

What about

I agree on De Zerbi. Potter would be an absolute disaster. Would be tempted to start supporting Salford if that happened
I personally don't want De Zerbi.

Would he bring a style of play? Yes. However, he's very stubborn in that. Teams that sit back against Brighton and soak pressure often win against them, and very comfortably. Look at Aston Villa and West Ham this season. I don't think it's usually a problem but it does become an issue when your manager is stubborn in his style which he's been labelled with.

He'll need time to coach that style of play as well, which often isn't awarded. To be fair, I think the board are starting to realise that this is going to take time. But they still lack leadership at that level to make a strong decision. There's talks of ETH getting sacked already, despite the credit he's built up in his first season.

On top of that, my understanding is that he hasn't won any major trophies. The narrative will quickly become about 'no trophies' or 'not willing to adapt to opponents, stubborn in his style'. Look at what happened to Ole, his tenure was defined over the fact he couldn't win a single trophy.

I don't want to use that old cliche of experience but he does lack big club experience. This club could eat him alive especially with what's going on at the moment.

I might get crucified for this and that's fine. In my opinion, I don't want him. If he comes, I'll back him of course.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The more I think about, the more I think the likes of Zidane or Conte are the only proper options.

We need cnts who are used to the extreme politics of a club like United.

Former players of some stature.

To me its no surprise only LvG and Mou are the only ones of the last 5 to make some in roads withstanding the scrutiny of a position with this club, and arguably make some important off the pitch changes. We need someone who won't crack and won't be intimated. I thought Erik could bc Ajax doesn't seem Iike the easiest place to be either, but clearly United is diff peanuts.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I thought Erik could bc Ajax doesn't seem Iike the easiest place to be either, but clearly United is diff peanuts.
Ajax is a club with high demands which does it make a difficult place to be, but when EtH arrived there they had a squad full of talents that was able or at least growing up to be able to fulfill these demands. United's squad is nowhere near that which definitely made his job so much more difficult than at Ajax. And I don't feel like he did the necessary step up himself.

San Diego Red

I'd love to see Xabi Alonso as our manager, he's the next Pep/Klopp in the making, but my gut feeling is he ends up at Madrid.

Alternatively, we could bring Ole back until the end of the season. He did great as interim and brought us our most exciting games.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Its the truth... There are equal amounts of reports that the Glazers doesnt want that deal. The brothers are divided on it. This deal isnt written in stone. At all
Mate it’s a done deal.

They desperately need investment and he’s the only idiot willing to give them what they need.

Where are you reading that the Glazers are divided on it!?

RedinIndia

Won't make a difference whoever replaces him.

United won't get highly rated coaches to join. Everyone knows United have an unbalanced squad , players brought by different managers for different playing styles. All this does is lead to a team where even players who have potential inevitably end up stagnating or even dip.

The academy won't produce players needed for a particular system as there is no continuity in tactics/style of football.

Even a DoF at this stage will just be another scapegoat. The problem needs to be addressed from the grassroots as well as from the top-down.