Who replaces Ten Hag?

redshaw

Not really sure. As good as Carlo is he needs the recruitment to be in full swing. We're looking at a reset to zero, he'd be wasting his time here.

Hard to say what SJR and co are looking at, there's so much work to be done in swapping out the rubbish we kept on adding with ETH's limited scope of the market.

Back To Madeira

I thought this thread might disappear for a while, how naive of me.

Although hearing Mike Phelan touted as a stop-gap has made me laugh, needed that.

C'est Moi Cantona

I’d take McKenna tomorrow. Under the understanding that this is a long term project with a complete revamp of the squad and recruitment.
Until we hit a rough patch and people want him out.

Long term projects at United will only work if we're winning consistently, something Mckenna is unlikely to be able to do early on.

Appletonred

Someone who would be willing to tow the company line, keep the share price steady, get rid of the high earners and promote kids, in other words, say all the right things for the fans/customers but essentially be a company man, in other words, a Glazer puppet, that's probably the secret memo to any prospective manager.

binary bot
Until we hit a rough patch and people want him out.

Long term projects at United will only work if we're winning consistently, something Mckenna is unlikely to be able to do early on.
I'd argue we're one of the more forgiving fanbases. People are even more forgiving when there's a clear identity and approach being set out.

Ten Hag/the board shot themselves in the foot from the start with the Antony & Casemiro signings, followed by the Mount signing, followed by Evans and then persisting with the likes of Martial.

Obviously you don't get a complete by-ball. You expect to see some level of progression throughout and a manager should still be held to and judged on that.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
For those of you ridiculing me for suggesting Rene Meulensteen and Mick Phelan, do you want to elaborate on why or is it simply because they aren’t the flavour of the month?

The fact of the matter is that Sir Alex delegated most of the day to day training to them during one of our most successful periods. They were a crucial part of maintaining the standards of the old United. Rio can testify for Rene’s work especially, but if you want to read for yourself, type in the below on google and you can buy his coaching manual.

“René Meulensteen & Man Utd Methods of Success (2007-2013) - René's Coaching Philosophy and Training Sessions (94 Practices), Sir Alex Ferguson's Management, Culture, Principles and Tactics”

Zizou was not flavour of the month when he replaced Benitez. Hansi Flick was a nobody who failed to get Hoffenheim promoted to the second tier in Germany. Arteta was also a nobody in management when he took over Arsenal. But do you know what these three managers had? They were assistants at elite, top standard coaching set-ups. Zizou at Real Madrid under Ancelloti, Flick for the German national team under Lowe and Arteta at City under Pep.

Furthermore, we witnessed the feel good factor and improvement when Ole took the job this time five years ago. If you listen to Jon Obi Mikel’s podcast, the episode with John Terry, they can testify how important it was for an unhappy group to have a manager like Guus Hiddink come in and the improvement in performances followed as a result of, simply, more enjoyable training sessions.

In addition, Rene and Mick have sporting director experience. Rene especially has published books on coaching methods and the psychological ways that a winning culture was built at United, which suggests they know are thing or two about improving squad morale.

Moreover, do you not expect these players to respect Rene or Mick given their standing in the game and their close association with the greatest manager this club has ever had?

You can rubbish my suggestions all you like, but they have more than enough experience to, at the very least, take on senior first-team coaching roles where they can recreate the sort of environment that we have lost and have been seeking to regain ever since Sir Alex retired and Moyes unceremoniously booted them out.

The fact of the matter is, we have been in this crisis for 10 years because the winning system and machine we had under Sir Alex was totally dismantled. It is time to put it back together.

bitcoin

Xabi Alonso from Leverkusen..... if he is willing to put his Liverpool past to one side.

SAFMUTD

That's the main issue, there's no clear candidate. I was convinced it would be Ten Hag but I was wrong. I would rather give him more time, to turn this around or waste or whatever, and give us time to find a right manager. I don't think there's a manager available who could turn this squad full of mediocrity and mentality midgets onto winners.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
For those of you ridiculing me for suggesting Rene Meulensteen and Mick Phelan, do you want to elaborate on why or is it simply because they aren’t the flavour of the month?

The fact of the matter is that Sir Alex delegated most of the day to day training to them during one of our most successful rebuilds. They were a crucial part of maintaining the standards of the old United. Rio can testify for Rene’s work especially.

Zizou was not flavour of the month when he replaced Benitez. Hansi Flick was a nobody who failed to get Hoffenheim promoted to the second tier in Germany. Arteta was also a nobody in management when he took over Arsenal. But do you know what these three managers had? They were assistants at elite, top standard coaching set-ups. Zizou at Real Madrid under Ancelloti, Flick for the German national team under Lowe and Arteta at City under Pep.

Furthermore, we witnessed the feel good factor and improvement when Ole took the job this time five years ago. If you listen to Jon Obi Mikel’s podcast, the episode with John Terry, they can testify how important it was for an unhappy group to have a manager like Guus Hiddink come in and the improvement in performances followed as a result of, simply, more enjoyable training sessions.

In addition, Rene and Mick have sporting director experience. Rene especially has published books on coaching methods and the psychological ways that a winning culture was built at United, which suggests they know are thing or two about improving squad morale.

Moreover, do you not expect these players to respect Rene or Mick given their standing in the game and their close association with the greatest manager this club has ever had?

You can rubbish my suggestions all you like, but they have more than enough experience to, at the very least, take on senior first-team coaching roles where they can recreate the sort of environment that we have lost and have been seeking to regain ever since Sir Alex retired and Moyes unceremoniously booted them out.

The fact of the matter is, we have been in this crisis for 10 years because the winning system and machine we had under Sir Alex was totally dismantled. It is time to put it back together.
How has this fool been given 6 likes already? @Cheimoon

Rockets Redglare

How has this fool been given 6 likes already? @Cheimoon
He must be pissed out of his skull, it’s a deranged post.
Let’s just ignore the incredibly poor jobs they’ve done away from United and give them the biggest job in club football because they did well working under the greatest manager of all time.

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I’m going to ignore all the insults. It’s part and parcel of presenting an unconventional thought or idea that falls outside of the general sentiment.

Maybe the six likes I have are because I try to discuss tactical aspects in granular detail. In non-tactical discussions, I try to explain my thinking in a similarly detailed manner. Perhaps you may not agree, but it could be that the mods appreciate the discussion being provoked by my different perspectives.

We don’t want a forum where everyone is parroting the same thoughts and ideas now, do we?

Anyways, let’s stick to the football discussion.
He must be pissed out of his skull, it’s a deranged post.
Let’s just ignore the incredibly poor jobs they’ve done away from United and give them the biggest job in club football because they did well working under the greatest manager of all time.
I predicted that this question would come up, but we need to apply context here.

Have you considered that perhaps Rene and Mick didn’t do too well at Fulham and Hull respectively because they are better suited to United, in the same way that Moyes and ETH fell under the weight of United while, by all accounts, doing stellar jobs at Everton and Ajax?

Similarly, Ole came to United having only managed our Reserves, Molde and relegating Cardiff. Granted he didn’t pull up any trees at Old Trafford, but he made progress and kept the club at a level that wouldn’t have been expected of any other manager with that kind of CV had he not had that kind of standing at the club, and practical experience of the standards and the general environment at United. He certainly did better than Moyes despite less experience and he was one kick away from doing bette

Another example is Hansi Flick. Did you know that before he took the FC Bayern job his only managerial experience was failure to get Hoffenheim into the second tier of the German football league in four consecutive attempts? Apart from that, he was an assistant for Germany’s 2014 World Cup squad and at FC Bayern. This was an example of, in your words, somebody who had done an incredibly poor job elsewhere and was given one of the biggest jobs in football.

What about Zizou? There’s a reason why he will not take any other jobs. Real Madrid is the perfect environment for him and he is likely to drown elsewhere simply because he would not have the same level of standing and authority anywhere else.

These environmental factors are important. We should not underestimate them. There is a reason why Carlo Ancelotti kept Everton a midtable club and then helped Real Madrid win the UCL the following year.

Rene and Mick played incredibly influential parts in building and maintaining the environment we used to have. Perhaps in 10 years it has been totally dismantled and we are now a different club, but I don’t see what we have to lose by giving them the chance to recreate that environment. I also think they would find a lot less resistance and get more buy-in due to their background, experience and historical standing at the club.

Abusian

No elite coach would take the job at this point because without the right structure, plan and recruitment, they’d have little chance of success. I’m in favour of sticking with the manager until these strategic issues are resolved. Then we can figure out whether he’s the right guy for the new project.

slored1

Honestly, someone who coaches an organized and solid team with a clear identity that does not rely on individuals to bail us out. Wouldn't even be against Potter, I still rate him.

erikcred

Make Onana the manager and ETH the goalkeeper. We'll be no worse off and maybe even improve a bit.

OleGunnar20

Honestly, if Keane is willing to be an interim cnut for a few months I'd be all for it. Torture the useless fecks while we figure out who comes in next season.

I don't know though. I really hoped ETH would work out but things don't look great right now.

Hughes35

Emery, De Zerbi or Nagelsmann are the only ones I can really think of that I'd be happy with.

Mckenna has done an unbelievable job at Ipswich but probably too big of a jump at this stage of his career.

daveskimufc

Someone smart/brave enough to not play the trash. Martial CLEARLY not good enough for 1. So play someone else/play a different system

Juicy Juiced

Diego Simeone.

Bad style, but is it much worse than getting pumped 3-0 almost every other game?

Tough as a nail when he played, probably more tough than Roy Keane, and he always demand 100% from his players.
Go to fundemntals, make us hard to beat. No way Rashford or Bruno would behave like they do in front of Simeone.

We would be tough to watch but at least we will have 11 players who will gave they all on the pitch.

We need cleansing and he have balls for that. Our players would eat Emery or De Zerbi for breakfast.

RVN1991

Difficult to see who'd be a good fit for the job seeing how the squad is completely unbalanced.

Do we build around young players or the players in their mid 20's to early 30's? Might as well keep ETH until the end of the season and make a decision after Ratcliffe comes in because I don't see anyone who'd be a good hire ATM.