Who replaces Ten Hag?

MrBest

It don't matter who is next. No structure means we have no direction. Any manager that comes in will do okay in first 18 months, then the bubble bursts and we go back. We are a club that needs a manager every few years.

lex talionis

The answer is that there is no answer. The other day a poster mentioned Ancelotti. I don’t see that as being realistic, but if somehow it were, Jimmy has got to get Carlo on the phone and sign him up.

sangria

No! You can’t just say this because he’s doing a decent job in league 1 and because he was associated with the club previously. He and Carrick were getting pelters before they left and they both along with Ole should come nowhere near the club, at least until the sporting structure is sorted out.

Alonso is an ex-Liverpool knob head and can do one.
Do you think that all former Liverpool players are unwelcome at United?

Pentagruel

I see no point in sacking him right now. I also see no point in not and replacing him with any random fan off the street. What needs to be done is to hire a competent director of football who can work in tandem with a coach for recruitment of players. That needs to be worked toward for next season starting like 6 months ago. Sacking ETH or not is relatively unimportant next to this. It won’t make any difference.

Lee565

I would go with emery, he seems to be a slight throwback in that he likes being given a lot of freedom at clubs and may be why he struggled somewhat at psg and arsenal but at villa he has paired back up with monchi who was his former football director at Sevilla, there are also widespread stories of him trying to poach directors from real social sociedad and Barcelona, plus he has had quite a lot of say in transfers and most have turned out to be of good judgement.

ti vu

No! You can’t just say this because he’s doing a decent job in league 1 and because he was associated with the club previously. He and Carrick were getting pelters before they left and they both along with Ole should come nowhere near the club, at least until the sporting structure is sorted out.

Alonso is an ex-Liverpool knob head and can do one.
1928–29First Division00000000
1929–30First Division1131200125
1930–31First Division2001000210
1931–32First Division4115000461
1932–33First Division3917100462
1933–34First Division3948000474
1934–35First Division3511010371
1935–36First Division1911000201
1935–36First Division1110000111
1936–37First Division2911000301
1937–38First Division3303000360
1938–39First Division4213000451

Guess the player/manager.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Tap

It doesn’t matter who we bring in.

The cycle of the new manager getting rid of the old manager’s flops and spending a huge amount of money to buy a new batch of flops will continue.

Result wise, the new manager and players will again start off reasonably well before going off the rails and crumbling in the second or third season.

ETH is not the answer and is not good enough but can’t really see who can succeed in this poisoned chalice.

ti vu

Your mom?
I will answer nicely about my own trivial question: Sir Matt Busby, who pretty much played his career exclusively for Man City and Liverpool.

Go see a doctor. Too much mental gymnastic defending ETH for the indefensible is breaking you.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
No one will be coming in unless we get hammered in the next 2 games. And even then who’s out there to come in straight away?

sangria

I will answer nicely about my own trivial question: Sir Matt Busby, who pretty much played his career exclusively for Man City and Liverpool.

Go see a doctor. Too much mental gymnastic defending ETH for the indefensible is breaking you.
To paraphrase another poster, "Busby is an ex-Liverpool knob head and can do one."

Plant0x84

I live in England. What chance of actually seeing a doctor do you think I have? I’d be lucky to get a telephone consultation before new year….
You are trying to ‘own‘ me with ancient history and I’m not here for it. Before Busby United we’re not a big team or a winning machine, so it’s kind of irrelevant. The game has moved on and you should too. Just for the record however, I also wouldn’t accept Slippy G, Robbie Fowler, Sammi Hyypia or Paul ‘anybody could do a better job’ Ince. There is ‘being professional’ and there is having a passion for the club/job that I just don’t think former rivals would have. It’s about above and beyond.

If we are truly in a situation where we must change course yet again, then it must be for the absolute best we can get this time, not a flavour of the month like Alonso, McKenna, De Zerbi or big Angela. It’s got nothing to do with defending Erik, it’s all about there is nobody good enough who would come at the moment so what’s the point?

sangria

I live in England. What chance of actually seeing a doctor do you think I have? I’d be lucky to get a telephone consultation before new year….
You are trying to ‘own‘ me with ancient history and I’m not here for it. Before busby United we’re not a big team or a winning machine, so it’s kind of irrelevant. The game has moved on and you should too. Just for the record however, I also wouldn’t accept Slippy G, Robbie Fowler, Sammi Hyypia or Paul ‘anybody could do a better job’ Ince. There is ‘being professional’ and there is having a passion for the club/job that I just don’t think former rivals would have. It’s about above and beyond.

If we are truly in a situation where we must change course yet again, then it must be for the absolute best we can get this time, not a flavour of the month like Alonso, McKenna, De Zerbi or big Angela. It’s got nothing to do with defending Erik, it’s all about there is nobody good enough who would come at the moment so what’s the point?
One of his "Babes" died earlier this year. Was your reaction, "So what?"

AndySmith1990

You are trying to ‘own‘ me with ancient history and I’m not here for it. Before busby United we’re not a big team or a winning machine, so it’s kind of irrelevant. The game has moved on and you should too. Just for the record however, I also wouldn’t accept Slippy G, Robbie Fowler, Sammi Hyypia or Paul ‘anybody could do a better job’ Ince. There is ‘being professional’ and there is having a passion for the club/job that I just don’t think former rivals would have. It’s about above and beyond.

Who are the absolute best managers, and what if we're never able to get them? Do we keep Ten Hag forever?

Plant0x84

Who are the absolute best managers, and what if we're never able to get them? Do we keep Ten Hag forever?
It’s not about names, but about their record. Like Ten Hag the names mentioned have been doing it for 5 minutes, and their good spells may come to nothing.

We need a manager with a track record of instilling a system and identity, buying players to suit that identity and not changing the system to suit the players, and of winning football matches.

Before you throw LVG or Jose at me, we want somebody close to peak or on their way up, not on their way down again. It’s a small pool we should be choosing from, but an elite pool.

For what it’s worth I think you let ETH see out this season and let the new hierarchy settle before reviewing in the summer. We are already pretty close to a write off season anyway. (Assuming the CL and FAC go badly for us and our form remains inconsistent in the league.)

OLLY ORANGE

Some of the comments of previous managers coming back is mind boggling.
To suggest go back to Ole would be wreckless he still not fancied by any other clubs speaks volumes.
Ten Hag is not miles off the pace, yes he's made several strange decisions but this falls back on individual mistakes at bad times and generally lack of consistency and character by the senior players.

GiddyUp

No one. Stick with ETH while we build a proper footballing structure around him. His direction and methods are sound but we need to move away from players who only excel on social media or look good on a bankers spreadsheet.

justboy68

No one. Stick with ETH while we build a proper footballing structure around him. His direction and methods are sound but we need to move away from players who only excel on social media or look good on a bankers spreadsheet.
What methods are those? Because his signings, team selections, in game decisions, tactics and man management look far from sound. Not sure what else is left.

There's a lot of coaches out there who will at least set out a side that makes sense and not be so stubborn. It doesn't need to be a fancy name. Ten Hag was a gamble worth taking but he's lost the plot at this point and it's clear to see.

ti vu

You are trying to ‘own‘ me with ancient history and I’m not here for it. Before Busby United we’re not a big team or a winning machine, so it’s kind of irrelevant. The game has moved on and you should too. Just for the record however, I also wouldn’t accept Slippy G, Robbie Fowler, Sammi Hyypia or Paul ‘anybody could do a better job’ Ince. There is ‘being professional’ and there is having a passion for the club/job that I just don’t think former rivals would have. It’s about above and beyond.

Back in Sir Busby era, there was no real big clubs. Remember that only 3 World Cup tournaments were held before Sir Busby became our manager (the war prevented World Cup to be held after the third tournament until 1950). How many national championships The club of that century, Real Madrid, had won when Sir Matt Busby took the job?

The clubs of that era pretty much represented the locals (faction of local). These local rivalries were fiercer. The geographical cultural Manchester and Liverpool rivalry predated its football version. And as soon as these clubs were founded, the rivalry kickstarted. It's silly to think rivalry is only started by after successes, and fueled only by jealousy. Good luck doing business, finding jobs in Manchester, openly supporting Liverpool talking shite about Man United in those days. No internet to advertise and sell merchandise to other parts of the country, and abroad.

You don't need to get to get the very best for an interim period. Ole didn't have the credential to take over from Mourinho. But then Mourinho was needed to go, and Ole did a decent job as interim. Hit and hope interim appointment doesn't always work out, but when it worked out there were no lacking of great unexpected successes. Zidane succeeded Benitez, Flick succeeded Kovac, Arteta succeeded Emery, Di Matteo succeeded AVB, Avram Grant succeeded Mourinho... The underlying point is replacing a manager who the team and majority fanbase no longer believe on is necessary.

Are we there yet? IMO yes. For side by side comparison, we're barely 1 one more point after 16th game than in 18-19 before coincidentally traveling to Anfield (27 vs 26).The defeat that got Mourinho sacked!!! Mourinho did better in CL and helped us qualified for KO round. Even if we are somehow qualified for KO round this mid week, we wouldn't be able to reach our CL group stage of 18-19 tally. So on the balance, we're as bad as Mourinho we're doing when he got the sacked.

Unless a former player hates us with passion, there is nothing to stop the club to appoint a professional behaving manager who fit the job. You don't pass on a good manager willing to come just based of illogical distorted version of rivalry like yours (instead of the true, original rivalry). You're contradicting yourself when you mentioned Carrick and McKenna only to mock them with flavour of the month term. Nobody should doubt Carrick and to lesser extend McKenna passion for the club. That same term can be applied for ETH when we were looking to appoint him (me included in that group). A Dutch manager like ETH being passionate about Man United when historically this club is predominately with British and Irish manager appointment? Isn't it contradictory?

GiddyUp

What methods are those? Because his signings, team selections, in game decisions, tactics and man management look far from sound. Not sure what else is left.

There's a lot of coaches out there who will at least set out a side that makes sense and not be so stubborn. It doesn't need to be a fancy name. Ten Hag was a gamble worth taking but he's lost the plot at this point and it's clear to see.
Name a coach then.

GiddyUp

I asked you to name the methods first sunshine. What is he doing that's sound?
Trying to install a footballing structure while dealing with a toxic culture and shitty ownership with no direction whatsoever. Come on kid. Name a coach.

Castia

I’m not seeing his direction at all. The football is awful and if he carries on getting his way with recruitment we’re on the road to conference league football because they’re nowhere near good enough

The results being poor wouldn’t be half as bad if there was a clear game-plan and structure to the play but half the time even when we win it’s just 11 players on the pitch doing there own thing it’s shocking to watch us play these days

The football since the league cup win has been the worst of any manager post SAF and I don’t say that lightly

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Conte, for the simple reason that he wouldn’t accept players like Rashford walking around like up in Newcastle, we can talk about styles of play and that all day long but we can’t even do the most basic of things which is working hard, we need someone to come in and it over 2 years he weeded out the lazy chancers while getting top 4 and maybe bringing in a few decent players it would be a massive success, we’re not in a position to be crying about how nice we play we just lost 3-0 at home to Bournemouth,