Who replaces Ten Hag?

Zico1982

Who could it be, and are they better than ETH for us right now. 10 names and my take.

De Zerbi - Yes. I would be happy to go there. Attractive football and effective use of player-strengths.
Emery - Yes. Top manager. Experienced and producing the goods for Villa who looks elite this season.
Nagelsmann - No. Obviously talented, but a bit like ETH. Brilliant when coaching smaller teams, but with problems in Munich and in the national team.
Flick - No. Flick is really good, but lacks the authority for Manchester United in this situation.
Potter - No. See Nagelsmann.
Frank - Yes. Have worked wonders at Brentford. Clear ideas and really good recruiting. Chewing gum style like SAF.
Xabi Alonso - Yes, but why should he come? Real or Bayern are his primary destinations when the seats are free again.
Ancelotti - Yes. The best solution. Big name. Loads of experience and known for excellent player management.
Neestrup - Yes. Copenhagen looked much better coached than us in the CL on a much smaller budget. At 35 he could be the next big thing.
Conte - Yes, but only short term. Conte has proven his worth, but he is notoriously difficult. He could help right now, but I do not want him here.

C'est Moi Cantona

Absolutely. I agree. I wasn’t saying we should go for De Zerbi just that he was one of the names mentioned if Ratcliffe comes in. I’ve not once said ETH out. I’ve always stood by him and still do and think with a better structure and support he can still succeed.
Fair enough, I wasn't sure the context you were saying it in, so it wasn't directed at your post really, just my general feeling.

There's not many thinking this way right now about Ten Hag it seems.

Raven

I feel Ancelotti is the best option (probably not an option at all), someone to steady the ship while we sort out our football structure which you would have to expect will not be a speedy process.

Dr Fink

Who replaces EtH?

There are a few candidates on here, reading some of their posts…..

I’d do it, but I have a stable job and those core stalwarts like Marcus and co.would down tools for me and get me sacked as it’s too much hassle to adapt to my style and they wouldn’t like me “talking to them like that” as it’s “aggressive” and “offensive”……telling them what to do.

So to conclude, Graham Potter or maybe his lad Harry…..only magic can save us.

U4E

Neestrup - Yes. Copenhagen looked much better coached than us in the CL on a much smaller budget. At 35 he could be the next big thing.
Just no. You have obviously only watched Copenhagen in the CL, and don't follow the Danish league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Funny you say that. When you're title is Pogabs biggest fan.
Thats a sarcastic title that was bestowed upon me when I would criticise Pogba and say he's not it for us. I was one of the very few at the time. Back when martial fc was in full force too :lol:

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Ancelotti is a coach who is based on the management of the group and leaves tactics quite aside. He himself has hinted at it at a press conference.

This type of manager in the Premier League, with Pep, Klopp, Emery as rivals, obsessed with tactics, would be a disaster for United. Besides, he wouldn't have even the best team or squad.

The same would happen with Zidane.

astracrazy

Who could it be, and are they better than ETH for us right now. 10 names and my take.

De Zerbi - Yes. I would be happy to go there. Attractive football and effective use of player-strengths.
Emery - Yes. Top manager. Experienced and producing the goods for Villa who looks elite this season.
Nagelsmann - No. Obviously talented, but a bit like ETH. Brilliant when coaching smaller teams, but with problems in Munich and in the national team.
Flick - No. Flick is really good, but lacks the authority for Manchester United in this situation.
Potter - No. See Nagelsmann.
Frank - Yes. Have worked wonders at Brentford. Clear ideas and really good recruiting. Chewing gum style like SAF.
Xabi Alonso - Yes, but why should he come? Real or Bayern are his primary destinations when the seats are free again.
Ancelotti - Yes. The best solution. Big name. Loads of experience and known for excellent player management.
Conte - Yes, but only short term. Conte has proven his worth, but he is notoriously difficult. He could help right now, but I do not want him here.
You list good options, but the trouble is the majority are either;

at clubs whos trajectory is better than ours

Or

at clubs where the manager is benefiting from a long term plan which is helping their success

Or

Would get tactically outclassed in the prem

Who ever it is, I'm sure the same rinse and repeat would happen with the majority of this fan base. It wasn't long a go everyone wanted EtH, EtH was going to be the one, the dream manager to have at Utd. Half way through his second season we want rid. So yeah, Conte short term seems the best option then...

Zico1982

You list good options, but the trouble is the majority are either;

at clubs whos trajectory is better than ours

Or

at clubs where the manager is benefiting from a long term plan which is helping their success

Or

Would get tactically outclassed in the prem

Who ever it is, I'm sure the same rinse and repeat would happen with the majority of this fan base. It wasn't long a go everyone wanted EtH, EtH was going to be the one, the dream manager to have at Utd. Half way through his second season we want rid. So yeah, Conte short term seems the best option then...
Agreed. These are simply the names I am reading and my assesment of them. Flick, Neestrup, Frank and Conte are the four we could probably get out of those ten. Out of them it would be Thomas Frank for me. Is he just another Potter getting torn apart at a big club? I don´t know. We have tried the big experienced names (Mourinho, LvG), the up and coming brit (Moyes back then), the old Club legend (Ole), the odd experiment (Rangnick, who actually does know what he is doing - Just look at his assesments and former work) and the hot international prospect (ETH). None have worked out. Why? Is it SAF´s immense shadow? The Glazers Show?, bad recruitment and overpayed players? no long term concept?

Yes. All of the above.

Should we give ETH more time? I don´t think so. I loved him at Ajax, but it is simply not working. I know about the injuries, and we have been unlucky at times, but that is not it. It does not explain the way we are playing this season. We are strangely close to the top, but we should not be. It is the worst United I can remember.

Time for reset number x.

Time for a thought out, long term plan.

Zico1982

Just no. You have obviously only watched Copenhagen in the CL, and don't follow the Danish league.
Just yes. Copenhagen haven´t played well in the last month or so, but there is a clear structure to their game, despite going out to Silkeborg in the cup. I do follow the danish league regularly from afar out of interest. Neestrup has done very well in the CL as well.

astracrazy

Time for a thought out, long term plan.
Well, from what we are lead to believe this is the long term plan in motion.

Personally, I see no point in replacing EtH until we have a proper well respected DoF in place. Someone who is qualified to design the roadmap and implement the foundations the foreseeable managers can work on. Only then is there any point replacing EtH, else it will be the same cycle.

Dorris

The problem is we’ve got to the point now where a lot of up and coming managers could turn us down for fear of ruining their reputation. Would De Zerbi come here knowing he’s most likely got the gig at City once Pep goes?

soapythecat

Looking at who the new CEO is going to be and the almost certainty we will have a DoF, then I think we need to rough it out with ETH until these are in place. It looks like we will loiter around the 7-9th place this season and perhaps not finishing top 4/5 will dictate that we can take a gamble on a manager like McKenna for example with a solid structure behind him.
Any calls for Conte, Poch and Co are not the answer either short or long term for me.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Emery and De Zebri will be disasters here.
They are doing good at Villa and Brighton but nobody in the world cares what you do there. It's all praise, no criticism. If you finish 12th - big deal, still in the Prem, there are richer teams. If you get into Europe - great!
You can play every type of football you want.

At United after 1 defeat, the whole world climbs on your back.

Idxomer

I would take McKenna but only after getting rid of all the players he coached before and still at the club.

Lee565

We have yet to employ a manger that is proven in the top European leagues and still in their prime instead of being on their way down like mourinho clearly was, lvg was the same and ole and ten hag were unproven in a top European league, moyes was just a mid table manager with no trophies at all.

The stand out semi realistic managers -

Conte is proven but seems to on the same path of mourinho of going on the downward trajectory in his career and would have to face the fact that he is a short term manager.

Ancelotti still has it and is proven but he is not leaving madrid for us.

Simeone is proven, is a long term manager, has aura about him as personally and still seems to be in his prime but fans would get frustrated with him for not playing the "united way" and might be hard to prize away from atletico.

Tuchel is proven in top leagues, has won European trophies but is managing Bayern so no way to get him from them.

Emery is proven with finishing top 4 in Spain, winning european trophies and French league title, he is also doing great in the premier league playing good football and the type of manager that is good for long term projects.

MadMike

Emery and De Zebri will be disasters here.
They are doing good at Villa and Brighton but nobody in the world cares what you do there. It's all praise, no criticism. If you finish 12th - big deal, still in the Prem, there are richer teams. If you get into Europe - great!
You can play every type of football you want.

At United after 1 defeat, the whole world climbs on your back.
We tried established, famous and experienced coaches in LVG and Mourinho. It didn’t work much better.

I think the most important thing is to find a manager who’s style of play and temperament you like. Then give them a reasonable amount of time. If in 18 months things are not better, then move on to the next.

That said DoFs and scouts should be deciding on buying players, not the managers. We should address that first.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We tried established, famous and experienced coaches in LVG and Mourinho. We didn’t work much better.

I think the most important thing is to find a manager who’s style of play and temperament you like. Then give them a reasonable amount of time. If in 18 months things are not better, then move on to the next.

That said DoFs and scouts should be deciding on buying players, not the managers. We should address that first.
I thought that's what the idea was with Ten Hag, but then he starts going on about playing to United's traditions, and later how he can't implement the style of play he did at Ajax (despite signing enough players to implement whatever style he bloody wanted).

Makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Why on earth would we get a manager who has built their reputation entirely at one club, in order to not want them to get us to play the same way?

MadMike

I thought that's what the idea was with Ten Hag, but then he starts going on about playing to United's traditions, and later how he can't implement the style of play he did at Ajax (despite signing enough players to implement whatever style he bloody wanted).

Makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Why on earth would we get a manager who has built their reputation entirely at one club, in order to not want them to get us to play the same way?
I don’t think it’s anyone at the club who doesn’t want him to play a certain way. He has been given incredible freedom in shaping his squad, in terms of signing players and getting rid of players that did fit the style (Ronaldo, DDG, Fred). I don’t believe for 1 second anyone is tell him which way to play. We played differently last year.

It’s just all of his own making. He decided to play this way, with no midfield, and he is too stubborn to change it.

Idxomer

Why, what’s the rationale?
Mostly because they aren't good enough, and not sure how much they would respect the guy who was just a coach under their former sacked manager. I also remember leaks from the dressing room against him at one point.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don’t think it’s anyone at the club who doesn’t want him to play a certain way. He has been given incredible freedom in shaping his squad, in terms of signing players and getting rid of players that did fit the style (Ronaldo, DDG, Fred). I don’t believe for 1 second anyone is tell him which way to play. We played differently last year.

It’s just all of his own making. He decided to play this way, with no midfield, and he is too stubborn to change it.
You're probably right. It's just such a bizarre way for a manager to fall on their sword.

One thing to say you can't play the way you did at your past club (which im not sure has any merit anyway), but another to then try and implement a style of play and system that is neither how you played at your last club OR suited to your current one.

There's just something doesn't seem right about how every manager we get seems to not only not be good enough, but reaches a point of what seems like self sabotage.

samlee86

No mention of Inzaghi.

He’s clearly the outstanding candidate. My only concern is he plays 5-3-2 rather than 4-3-3 but he has been a massive success at every club he’s managed.

If we have the right set-up behind him then I think he would definitely leave Inter

Lee565

I don't believe the board are telling ten hag how to play, mourinho and lvg had us playing their styles of pragmatic and possession based, I think ten hag is just making up excuse after excuse and the were ajax fans that did highlight that ten hag was not all that we thought we was getting stylistically

Partridge

I'd have a go, but I'd end up punching a few of them, and that would be frowned upon.

Like I said earlier, ancelotti for me, but I don't want Eth sacked.

Marwood

You're probably right. It's just such a bizarre way for a manager to fall on their sword.

One thing to say you can't play the way you did at your past club (which im not sure has any merit anyway), but another to then try and implement a style of play and system that is neither how you played at your last club OR suited to your current one.

There's just something doesn't seem right about how every manager we get seems to not only not be good enough, but reaches a point of what seems like self sabotage.
I think it's the pressure of the job. It gets to them, they make panic decsions, betray their own principles. Which just ramps up the pressure and leads to more desperate, random decision making.

Whoever comes in next, he has to be the type who sticks to his guns no matter what. That doesn't compromise. Says no to a transfer rather than taking whatever he can get etc.

De Zerbi for me. The football they play is beautiful. Going toe to toe with Arsenal, City and Liverpool in head to heads, while actually playing football.

redNATION

Could we convince Pep to make the switch... stranger things have happened. Surely he can't end his career managing minnows like City, deserves to have a final run with a great club. Jim should just promise him a huge transfer budget and he won't think twice about making the move.

MadMike

Mostly because they aren't good enough, and not sure how much they would respect the guy who was just a coach under their former sacked manager. I also remember leaks from the dressing room against him at one point.
I didn’t know of any leaks against him during Ole’s reign. Was there such thing?

If they’re not good enough McKenna himself will want to change them though, won’t he? Are you worried he would show favouritism towards players he is familiar with? I doubt it. I can see why a manager prefers players he has worked with, if they had success together, but Ole’s reign was trophyless. I wouldn’t expect McKenna to show favouritism and bias towards players who led to him and his manager getting the sack.

Is it cause you think they will turn on him and get him sacked quickly, or what?

Matt Varnish

This squad needs a lot more than a change in mangement.
Busby, Murphy and Ferguson combined couldn't work with this lot, and between them they had it all.

Idxomer

I didn’t know of any leaks against him during Ole’s reign. Was there such thing?

If they’re not good enough McKenna himself will want to change them though, won’t he? Are you worried he would show favouritism towards players he is familiar with? I doubt it. I can see why a manager prefers players he has worked with, if they had success together, but Ole’s reign was trophyless. I wouldn’t expect McKenna to show favouritism and bias towards players who led to him and his manager getting the sack.

Is it cause you think they will turn on him and get him sacked quickly, or what?
I do think they could turn on him quickly. I don't have much trust in those players, even ones I rate like Shaw.

MadMike

I do think they could turn on him quickly. I don't have much trust in those players, even ones I rate like Shaw.
Players want to succeed. If results are going well, it would make no sense for them to turn on him. If results nosedive, yes it’s possible. But then that’s the same as with any other manager, no?