Who replaces Ten Hag?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Welcome to Disneyland, Graham. Which character do you want to be? Dumbo's available?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He did an ok job bit De Zerbi has come in and done better despite losing his 2 star midfielders.
Again, the groundwork for de Zerbi's best season was all with Potter. This season he's back to around the 8th mark. I'm not sure you can say the club is responsible for Potter's success, but De Zerbi is responsible for doing the same?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Again, the groundwork for de Zerbi's best season was all with Potter. This season he's back to around the 8th mark. I'm not sure you can say the club is responsible for Potter's success, but De Zerbi is responsible for doing the same?
Brighton beat football under De Zerbi. Nothing else matters.

Robbie Boy

De Zerbi isn't? Who said that? I'm saying that De Zerbi is literally doing better despite losing their 2 star midfielders. Why? Because of how well the club is run and the business continuity that they have.

I have repeatedly said I would be extremely cautious buying anyone from Brighton or appointing their managers, as they are just so well run. Outside of that bubble, it's very different.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
De Zerbi isn't? Who said that? I'm saying that De Zerbi is literally doing better despite losing their 2 star midfielders. Why? Because of how well the club is run and the business continuity that they have.

I have repeatedly said I would be extremely cautious buying anyone from Brighton or appointing their managers, as they are just so well run. Outside of that bubble, it's very different.
I just don't think De Zerbi is doing "better" and the 2 star midfielders didn't suddenly become stars under him, they were brought through under Potter. I agree with your last point, so why I don't think you can particularly attribute De Zerbi being better - I think we're saying the same thing but only slightly disagreeing on who's a better manager.

I agree, that's why I caveated my point above with if we get the plan right from the Ratcliffe, Blanc and co level.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Those suggesting Zidane are having a laugh. The obsession with big-name managers is weird and completely out of touch.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Those suggesting Zidane are having a laugh. The obsession with big-name managers is weird and completely out of touch.
Zidane has also shown absolutely zero desire to manage a club not named Real Madrid.

gaffs

I think the Potter talk is lazy journalism after Nice's interest in him last year.

I just can't see Ratcliffe spending $1.5bil, then hiring Potter as his first manager.

Al-T

Potter was given over three years at Brighton to build a side. By the time he left, he had cleared almost all of Chris Hughton's players out. Pascal Groß, Lewis Dunk and Solly March were and are, I think, the only players left at Brighton from Hughton's tenure and are (injuries aside) regular starters under De Zerbi.

He was supposed to be being given time by Chelsea to build something similar but wasn't allowed that. Nor, realistically, would he be given time here.

Whoever comes in, if ten Hag were to go will be expected to get a tune out of the current bunch. I can't see Potter doing that.

justboy68

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ten Hags 100s of times better.
We expected that based on his Ajax football for sure, but I'm not sure what aspect of management Ten Hag is currently succeeding at? Man management, tactics, team selection, building for the future, don't you agree they are all in the gutter right now? It doesn't really need to be a direct comparison between coaches anyway. If something is just clearly broken then you need to change it, even if that person has quality under different conditions. Again like Emery with Arsenal. He's clearly a good coach but it wasn't working out and they moved on. ETH needs to turn things around fast if he wants to stay on. Otherwise he will be back at Ajax and maybe he will do well there again.

lsd

The Oracle
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ten Hags 100s of times better.

Yeah i can see that by how he's managed to have an even worse managerial record at United than Gary Neville at Valencia despite spending over 400 million

JagUTD

Yeah i can see that by how he's managed to have an even worse managerial record at United than Gary Neville at Valencia despite spending over 400 million
And yet a quick Google renders the idiotic twitter shite baseless.

Imagine that, people looking stupid because they repeated something from twitter. Best treating such people as the clowns they are eh?

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Zidane - simply not happening.
Potter - absolutely not.
De Zerbi - maybe, but why would he leave Brighton to join this circus?
Lopetegui - if Ancelotti really isn't available, then I guess I'd be fine with it. Not exactly jumping with excitement, but can hardly be any worse than the current one. How the frauds in the squad will take to it is another matter.

Not exactly a dream list, but it's better than doing nothing, I suppose.

Of course, the source is toilet paper, but hardly groundbreaking names anyway.
Get Eddie Howe. Can't be worse. Keep him till summer and then decide long term.

jem

Whoever comes in, if ten Hag were to go will be expected to get a tune out of the current bunch. I can't see Potter doing that.
Therein lies our biggest problem. Until we jettison the majority of this squad, we’ll never get anywhere.

Hughie77

I am sorry, but some posters here are deluded and very disrespectful toward SAF; when they think literally SAF (who covered many important responsibility aspect of DoF brilliantly) would fail to solve this mess.
Come on ...are you deluded the guys in his 80s .. he couldn't sort this mess out, he retired at the right time he could see this happing with the owners .. .if the guy was 40 yrs younger I'd say YES...

Hughie77

How does this make sense in your head? And how does he make a return on an overpriced investment by making it run worse?
What do you think he's going to do with his Money?.. just give it to the Glazers and spend it on whatever they like... reports its 1.25 Billion...? They need the ground updated training ground , then there's there's transfers ?? ..

Then there is the Glazers Debt on the club that is huge over 500m .. this investment is nothing won't do nothing..just a sticking plaster...until the Glazers are gone..

1.25 Billion could well be just more debt but to a different person..he's not just giving away his money..!

Overhaul FC

Could you imagine Potter trying to fix Rashford or Sancho's attitudes....

His degree in leadership and emotional intelligence didnt get him very far at Chelsea. Why would it be any different at United where there is even more pressure?

Robbie Boy

I just don't think De Zerbi is doing "better" and the 2 star midfielders didn't suddenly become stars under him, they were brought through under Potter. I agree with your last point, so why I don't think you can particularly attribute De Zerbi being better - I think we're saying the same thing but only slightly disagreeing on who's a better manager.

I agree, that's why I caveated my point above with if we get the plan right from the Ratcliffe, Blanc and co level.
Fair enough, but a Brighton fan on the previous page seems to indicate that De Zerbi is doing better. I enjoy watching Brighton more under De Zerbi than under Potter, and overall, I think he took Brighton to that next step when Potter failed to do it. I think Potter is a good manager for a certain level, but not the top level clubs.

If we appointed him, then so be it, but I can't pretend that I would be remotely excited about it. We can say Chelsea are crap etc. - which is true - but completely ignoring his record there seems like a dangerous move.

Wazzaduke33

His starting 11 is less than £20m most weeks

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Alonso's Leverkusen are just destroying Molde if someone wants to watch the EL now and build an opinion on a potential successor (Leverkusen already are group winners, Molde need a win to stay in it, it's 3-0 after 30min)

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
I like the idea of poaching a manager and the exec or executive team. Like Emery and Monchi. Need two people aligned on philosophy that can then analyze the squad and come to the same conclusions where money needs to be spent to improve.

One tries to improve and mitigate for that short coming on the pitch, the other executing off it to bring in the best available to improve it off it.

USREDEVIL

Graham Potter would come in, see the kind of players we have and switch to a counter attacking team. We'd struggle, he'd be out within 2 years, and the next bloke would come in.

Frank Grimes

Alonso's Leverkusen are just destroying Molde if someone wants to watch the EL now and build an opinion on a potential successor (Leverkusen already are group winners, Molde need a win to stay in it, it's 3-0 after 30min)
I like Alonso and he'd definitely be on my shortlist (along with Inzaghi, Flick and Simeone).

Having said that I remember ten Hag's Ajax winning dead rubbers in CL whilst losing at half-time. Did they win all 6 games a few seasons back?

ti vu

Come on ...are you deluded the guys in his 80s .. he couldn't sort this mess out, he retired at the right time he could see this happing with the owners .. .if the guy was 40 yrs younger I'd say YES...
So you're talking about retired SAF instead a SAF equivalent in his prime? :houllier: Glazers bought the club in 2005. So you implied SAF jumped the ship because he's scared? Not that he's old and wanted time out to spend with his wife?

Dumb logic. All in the name of there is nobody can do better job than ETH. ETH cultist is deluded as feck.

flameinthesun

To bring a new permanent manager into this mess with a partial takeover on the horizon would be stupid. To bring in a De Zerbi or Potter who have less impressive CVs than Ten Hag into United in their current state would be very silly as well. Stick with Ten Hag until the takeover is done, make changes structurally, then asses the squad and the management team. If then Ten Hag isn't deemed the right man then fair enough.

Ideally for me the takeover would be completed, a new structure introduced, transfer responsibilities taken away from Ten Hag, let him focus solely on coaching and see what he can do next season under that setup. If he fails to perform then let him go.

Hughie77

So you're talking about retired SAF instead a SAF equivalent in his prime? :houllier: Glazers bought the club in 2005. So you implied SAF jumped the ship because he's scared? Not that he's old and wanted time out to spend with his wife?

Dumb logic. All in the name of there is nobody can do better job than ETH. ETH cultist is deluded as feck.
OK.. your superior knowledge is all to see .

croadyman

Honestly I think the best manager we could get would be the super nanny because half these players need someone to put them over their knee and take away their xboxes. They won't listen to Potter or De Zerbi and Zidane probably isn't stupid enough to take over a shit show like United. We also need a coach as well as a motivator.

Honestly I reckon that there are very very very few managers who could turn us around. Probably Klopp and maybe Pep if he was given loads of money and a few seasons.
Not approaching Guardiola quick enough to replace Fergie or Klopp to replace LVG was criminal (mind you we all know who was to blame for that)

JagUTD

Graham Potter would come in, see the kind of players we have and switch to a counter attacking team. We'd struggle, he'd be out within 2 years, and the next bloke would come in.
2 months. The guy has zero authority and unlike Ole isn't the players mate. Chelsea bullied him, our players are more established at the club and will undermined even acknowledged footballing powerhouses like Mourinho.

Potter would be a disaster and probably need sectioning after. We'd drive him completely mad.