Who replaces Ten Hag?

Loon

:lol:
Jean Claude Blanc is a friend of Zidane, and tried to recruit him at PSG. I think Zidane will be top of the list and could be tempted if we have the right structure in place, the same way Pep was courted by City who basically created the structure Pep wanted.
Zidane would be of the obvious stature if Ten Hag is fired. He would have the respect of the charlatans in the dressing room. I've become so cynical that I honestly feel he'd look at our squad and say, "Even I can't polish a turd." and it would all go wrong.

I'm just so cynical about it all now -- I would just expect any manager to prove me wrong.

It's the lightning in a bottle of structure/recruitment/manager/squad all aligning at once.

Ludens the Red

Bring in Bielsa and let’s just see what happens. The season is lost anyway. The clown isn’t turning it around so get a maniac in so we can at least have some fun…

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
1st step: Define a philosophy/ an idea of football, which Manchester United should work with
2nd step: Define which tactics fit this philosophy / idea.
3rd step: Implement this idea, these tactics into every development and recruiting process in the club.
4th step: Start scouting managers, who fit the philosophy / idea and sign the best fit.
5th step: Listen to his wishes, compare them with the scouting reports and the club's needs, which are based on the club's philosophy.
6th step: Offer the manager a list of players, which fit the club and his needs.
7th step: The manager selects his preferred players from this list.
8th step: The DoF tries to sign the players.

We start talking about the 5th step, have no idea about the step 1 to 4 and so one. The club should focus on a concept and a strategy, after this, we should have an idea, which manager fits best.
Post of 2023!!! Was reading the other comments about to write the exact same thing, less eloquently. No point hiring a new manager until we look at the other steps otherwise we'll just be hiring the wrong guy. Again.

Redivy

De Zerbi seems to be the media and RedCafe darling at the moment, but his team has won 3 out of their last 13 PL games, and has ZERO clean sheets all season. They do play an exciting brand of football but his (current) style of play will never win a PL unless he learns how to be more defensively sound.

However, I am a believer in managers also developing and so I do see him as someone who has the room to grow and become an elite manager, but whether we want to be apart of the teething process is what we have to consider.

spe88

I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t join but Xabi Alonso and a 3-4-2-1 would suit our squad well i think

Lux Thunder

I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t join but Xabi Alonso and a 3-4-2-1 would suit our squad well i think
Agree, a post of mine in another thread regarding this.

------------------------ Onana -----------------------

----- Todibo -------- Varane -------- Martinez --

----------- Mainoo ----------- Casemiro -----------

----------- Amad --------------------- Mount ---------

Frimpong ---------- Hojlund ----------------Shaw

I would like to see something like this i future, with all players back from injuries and one transfer window to do the job. Setup is very similar to what Leverkusen is currently playing and I think we have some players with personalen to play that way, alongside with some key signings to make.

Obvious transfer targets would be RCB who is comfortable defending the right side channel in 1v1 situations (Jean-Clair Todibo) and very attacking right wing back (Jeremie Frimpong or Pedro Porro). Bonus signings will be someone who will replace Casemiro long term (Exequiel Palacios) and rotation option for Martinez (Fran Medina).

Although I think Hojlund would have better service with these four players around him than he is currently having, I would also look for someone to share minutes with him up front. Bringing back Mason Greenwood would also help to the attacking part of the team.

Ideally we will all of the sudden, with a few right signings, have a solid group of players with also interesting options to bring something different from the bench: Garnacho, Bruno, Eriksen, Dalot, Antony, Rashford etc.

I know there is nothing that warrants starting Mount ahead of team's captain Bruno, but that would be my personal choice as I trust Mount more to work in some structured setup than Bruno.

Strong rest defence with solid work rate to apply press and to win the second balls when we consequently face long passes.

Zed 101

My left nut, draw a face on it and it looks pretty similar and has about about as much tactical prowess

Redivy

Ruben Amorim would be the only young manager I would approach, otherwise I’d be looking at more accomplished managers for the time being.

Amorim has quite a bit of experience for someone his age and his style of play seems to have adapted over time. You would need to get the right players to fit his system but I think he has the minerals to make it work here.

The other young managers like Alonso and Nagelsmann just don’t seem ready to me, I believe Nagelsmann implemented the wrong tactics at Bayern and he needs to take a step back and consider where things went wrong at times. Whilst Alonso has so much potential and I wouldn’t be against bringing him in, but there will be a 2-3 year teething process, it’s inevitable. It might be better we have an accomplished manager to steady the ship.

Cela shomana

Ruben Amorim would be the only young manager I would approach, otherwise I’d be looking at more accomplished managers for the time being.

Amorim has quite a bit of experience for someone his age and his style of play seems to have adapted over time. You would need to get the right players to fit his system but I think he has the minerals to make it work here.

The other young managers like Alonso and Nagelsmann just don’t seem ready to me, I believe Nagelsmann implemented the wrong tactics at Bayern and he needs to take a step back and consider where things went wrong at times. Whilst Alonso has so much potential and I wouldn’t be against bringing him in, but there will be a 2-3 year teething process, it’s inevitable. It might be better we have an accomplished manager to steady the ship.
Are you proposing that we persist in forming teams according to a managerial system instead of initially determining the philosophy/system and subsequently hiring managers/players whose profiles align with that system? What happens to the players acquired for Ruben Amorim if he doesn't succeed? It seems like we still have people who don't understand why we are in this mess

Redivy

Are you proposing that we persist in forming teams according to a managerial system instead of initially determining the philosophy/system and subsequently hiring managers/players whose profiles align with that system? What happens to the players acquired for Ruben Amorim if he doesn't succeed? It seems like we still have people who don't understand why we are in this mess
I don’t see how you took that from my post. I was referring to what it would take for what I believe is the brightest young manager in the game to succeed.

Regardless of who takes the spot, you will need to restructure the squad as we currently have a bit of a mess on our hands. And honestly, if you pay attention to history, whether it’s recent history such as City, or long term such as Barcelona, it’s usually a club having an extremely successful stint under a revolutionary manager which then sees the club become associated with that style of play moving forward.

I agree that we should maintain a similar style across managers, but we currently don’t have an identity and whether it’s Mitchell or Ashworth, they’ve both shown they’ll change their recruitment strategy after moving clubs. Do you think Newcastle and Brighton play the same football?

The-Mezzala

If we go out of the FA cup he will probably be sacked. De Zerbi is really the only decent candidate out there. If we get a new a manager we have to get someone who knows the Premier League. Too high risk at the moment to take a gamble.

gaffs

If we go out of the FA cup he will probably be sacked. De Zerbi is really the only decent candidate out there. If we get a new a manager we have to get someone who knows the Premier League. Too high risk at the moment to take a gamble.
I dont think so. I think INEOS will at least give him the oportunity for a few games with Martinez and Casemiro back in the team.

RedRocket9908

According TeamTalk Graham Potter, Roberto De Zerbi and Francesco Farioli have been mentioned by people close to the club.

TeamTalk said:
Ratcliffe could bring in a new Man Utd boss this summer

Ratcliffe could bring in a new Man Utd boss this summer
TEAMtalk can exclusively reveal that Ratcliffe has eyes on several potential managerial candidates.

Graham Potter, Roberto De Zerbi and Francesco Farioli are among the names that have been continuously floated by those close to the club.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not suggesting we get him, but I have really been impressed by Gary O'Neil at Wolves. This is more just a general appreciation for what a good job a manager is doing, but I like the way he talks, the football Wolves play etc. I've been reading more of his comments and, to be honest, he really reminds me of Fergie in the way he talks and deals with players. Seems really good at building players up and taking them the new levels. Tactically he seems good too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

This isn't a source or rumor but it's just logical, and I'm all for it. Can definitely see a scenario we go for de Zerbi and think it'd be the right appointment given how well he's implemented his system at Brighton.

the chameleon

Who has the following?
- Some gravitas and respect from those around him.
- Man-management skills but also a backbone to assert discipline.
- A clear footballing philosophy (hopefully something that entertains but at the same time inspires the players) balanced with some ability to adapt.
- Not afraid to drop players and blood youngsters.
- A clear idea of where the team lacking and not blindly wasting funds on the wrong players.

Phil Osophy

According TeamTalk Graham Potter, Roberto De Zerbi and Francesco Farioli have been mentioned by people close to the club.
It's interesting how they're related in some way.

Farioli is managing Nice and he worked previously with De Zerbi (Farioli was one of his assistants), and De Zerbi is managing Brighton as Potter did before, both working around similar ideas.

As I said in other thread I'd go with a more industrial model but I think Potter/De Zerbi is the most probable outcome.

Farioli is sitting 2nd in the french league but he's only 34 yo., it would be strange to put him in charge of United.

Waynne

Who has the following?
- Some gravitas and respect from those around him.
- Man-management skills but also a backbone to assert discipline.
- A clear footballing philosophy (hopefully something that entertains but at the same time inspires the players) balanced with some ability to adapt.
- Not afraid to drop players and blood youngsters.
- A clear idea of where the team lacking and not blindly wasting funds on the wrong players.
Why does all this scream Zidane to me

moodyred

If we do intend to replace ETH, I hope that we don't sign the following:

1. Managers who are showing potentials but has yet to win nothing (Moyes)
2. Managers that had done well in the past but are pass their prime (Mourinho and LVG)
3. Managers who knows their stuff on paper only (Rangnick)

We should be going for Managers who are currently at the top of their game and winning stuff. Time for poaching and why not.

astracrazy

If we do intend to replace ETH, I hope that we don't sign the following:

1. Managers who are showing potentials but has yet to win nothing (Moyes)
2. Managers that had done well in the past but are pass their prime (Mourinho and LVG)
3. Managers who knows their stuff on paper only (Rangnick)

We should be going for Managers who are currently at the top of their game and winning stuff. Time for poaching and why not.
Mourinho past his prime? Mourinho was our only past manager that would past your requirements.

You're ruling out 99% of the managers that would come to us. It will be a hard sell to get a manager who is currently top of their game at a club winning things to come here - I'm interested to hear who you are thinking of because you've pretty much ruled out every manager listed in this thread?

macmaggy

It's interesting how they're related in some way.

Farioli is managing Nice and he worked previously with De Zerbi (Farioli was one of his assistants), and De Zerbi is managing Brighton as Potter did before, both working around similar ideas.

As I said in other thread I'd go with a more industrial model but I think Potter/De Zerbi is the most probable outcome.

Farioli is sitting 2nd in the french league but he's only 34 yo., it would be strange to put him in charge of United.
34!!! We have players that are old enough to be his dad.

Zed 101

This isn't a source or rumor but it's just logical, and I'm all for it. Can definitely see a scenario we go for de Zerbi and think it'd be the right appointment given how well he's implemented his system at Brighton.
I can't disagree or even think it would be a bad appointment (or worse than others) but there is something deeply unpleasant about de Zerbi, but then SAF was a complete a-hole so maybe !!!

daba

Was looking at Ruben Amorim last night who has been linked to the job of course and I have to say he's rather impressive. Everything I read and watched about him centred around not just his tactics but his personality, charisma and communication skills - something I think its fair to say ETH is lacking. He'd cost €20m to get him out of Sporting but I think if things with ETH dont improve in this second half with the injuries coming back and INEOS get impatient, he'd be worth it.

I'd recommend giving this a watch if for anyone that hasn't yet, as this goes through Amorim's crazy (impressive) rise to get the Sporting job.

For those who don't have time to watch he basically smashed it in his 1st job with Casa Pia in the third division in Portugal taking them to top spot (didn't actually have the necessary badges so had to leave). Then went to Braga B where he smashed it again and then within a few months took the main job when it became available. He then smashed it again, winning Braga their first trophy in quite a few years. A few months later cash-strapped Sporting then spent €10m to get him from Braga and he's been sensational ever since and currently has them top of Liga NOS.

Maybe its the fact that we currently have ETH who lacks the charisma and communication skills, but I look around at Man City and Liverpool and one thing they both have is charismatic managers. Managers that are respected by everyone in the dressing room, managers that are motivators, leaders, and have this knack of getting players run through brick walls for them. Amorim has that same aura.

How would Amorim's 3-4-3 tactic fit in with the current squad:

------------------------------------ Onana ------------------------------------------

------------ Varane ---------- Maguire ----------- Martinez --------------

---- Dalot --------- Casemiro ---------- Mainoo ----------- Shaw -----

-------------- Bruno ---------- Hojlund ----------- Garnacho -------------

I think its fair to say that if we got Amorim in, due to the change in tactics, quite a bit of work would need to be done to the squad (same would be said about Xabi Alonso too who plays with a similar structure). We would need:

+ New starting RCB who can cover the right side effectively = Todibo
+ New starting CB who is fast, aerially dominant and ultra calm on the ball = Diomande or Scalvini
+ New RWB with bags of energy and the ability to impact in the final third = Frimpong or Boey
+ Rotation with Shaw (Barco would have been perfect, Alvaro F. would have been good foil too) = Estupinan, Miguel Gutierrez, Parisi (or dare I say, convert Antony)
+ Rotation with Hojlund = Guirassy, Gimenez or Zirkzee as a slightly different option
+ New CM = Joao Neves

I still think De Zerbi is most likely based on the current Nice manager being an understudy of De Zerbi, so it would create some tactical unison across the INEOS clubs. Add to that Berrada coming over from City who supposedly are massive admirers of De Zerbi and his style of play and the potential incoming of Ashworth who obviously knows De Zerbi very well from Brighton.

However, as much as I think De Zerbi would be able to instil a new brand of football very quickly here, I just think Amorim seems to have that winner mentality and character that could elevate this team to be proper challengers rather than pretenders that place nice football.

moodyred

Mourinho past his prime? Mourinho was our only past manager that would past your requirements.

You're ruling out 99% of the managers that would come to us. It will be a hard sell to get a manager who is currently top of their game at a club winning things to come here - I'm interested to hear who you are thinking of because you've pretty much ruled out every manager listed in this thread?
My first concern with Mourinho when he was appointed, was the fact that he couldn't stay in a club more than 2 to 3 years. At Chelsea, he appears to be losing control of the players and was losing 9 out of 16 games when he was sacked. Rather than picking a manager who is having issues and needed to leave, I am suggesting that we get one at their peak e.g. when City appointed Pep. Pep was extremely successful when he left Barca.

When you say we would be eliminating 99% of managers, you are not wrong. That is how unique and important this position is, and its United we are talking about. To me, still the biggest and most supported club in the world.

Pep, maybe Allegri or Alonso. I just don't want another potential or manager that was rejected by another club again....we should not be going for leftovers.

Redivy

Was looking at Ruben Amorim last night who has been linked to the job of course and I have to say he's rather impressive. Everything I read and watched about him centred around not just his tactics but his personality, charisma and communication skills - something I think its fair to say ETH is lacking. He'd cost €20m to get him out of Sporting but I think if things with ETH dont improve in this second half with the injuries coming back and INEOS get impatient, he'd be worth it.

I'd recommend giving this a watch if for anyone that hasn't yet, as this goes through Amorim's crazy (impressive) rise to get the Sporting job.

For those who don't have time to watch he basically smashed it in his 1st job with Casa Pia in the third division in Portugal taking them to top spot (didn't actually have the necessary badges so had to leave). Then went to Braga B where he smashed it again and then within a few months took the main job when it became available. He then smashed it again, winning Braga their first trophy in quite a few years. A few months later cash-strapped Sporting then spent €10m to get him from Braga and he's been sensational ever since and currently has them top of Liga NOS.

Maybe its the fact that we currently have ETH who lacks the charisma and communication skills, but I look around at Man City and Liverpool and one thing they both have is charismatic managers. Managers that are respected by everyone in the dressing room, managers that are motivators, leaders, and have this knack of getting players run through brick walls for them. Amorim has that same aura.

How would Amorim's 3-4-3 tactic fit in with the current squad:

------------------------------------ Onana ------------------------------------------

------------ Varane ---------- Maguire ----------- Martinez --------------

---- Dalot --------- Casemiro ---------- Mainoo ----------- Shaw -----

-------------- Bruno ---------- Hojlund ----------- Garnacho -------------

I think its fair to say that if we got Amorim in, due to the change in tactics, quite a bit of work would need to be done to the squad (same would be said about Xabi Alonso too who plays with a similar structure). We would need:

+ New starting RCB who can cover the right side effectively = Todibo
+ New starting CB who is fast, aerially dominant and ultra calm on the ball = Diomande or Scalvini
+ New RWB with bags of energy and the ability to impact in the final third = Frimpong or Boey
+ Rotation with Shaw (Barco would have been perfect, Alvaro F. would have been good foil too) = Estupinan, Miguel Gutierrez, Parisi (or dare I say, convert Antony)
+ Rotation with Hojlund = Guirassy, Gimenez or Zirkzee as a slightly different option
+ New CM = Joao Neves

I still think De Zerbi is most likely based on the current Nice manager being an understudy of De Zerbi, so it would create some tactical unison across the INEOS clubs. Add to that Berrada coming over from City who supposedly are massive admirers of De Zerbi and his style of play and the potential incoming of Ashworth who obviously knows De Zerbi very well from Brighton.

However, as much as I think De Zerbi would be able to instil a new brand of football very quickly here, I just think Amorim seems to have that winner mentality and character that could elevate this team to be proper challengers rather than pretenders that place nice football.
Amorim himself is quite young, only 38 years old. But he has few years of experience and seems to have a commanding personality, so I can see him stepping up to a bigger club and being a success.

I prefer him to De Zerbi, who I believe is the most overrated coach at the moment. Whilst his style is nice on the eye, there is just too many holes and gaps in his system, especially defensively. Pretty sure they’ve only won about 3 out of their past 15 games in the league, and they’ve considered a shit ton of goals in the process.

Farioli at Nice seems to have taken De Zerbis system and altered it to be much better defensively, but he still needs more time as a manager before he steps up to an elite side.

daba

Amorim himself is quite young, only 38 years old. But he has few years of experience and seems to have a commanding personality, so I can see him stepping up to a bigger club and being a success.

I prefer him to De Zerbi, who I believe is the most overrated coach at the moment. Whilst his style is nice on the eye, there is just too many holes and gaps in his system, especially defensively. Pretty sure they’ve only won about 3 out of their past 15 games in the league, and they’ve considered a shit ton of goals in the process.

Farioli at Nice seems to have taken De Zerbis system and altered it to be much better defensively, but he still needs more time as a manager before he steps up to an elite side.
Although I do think De Zerbi has potential to be a top manager I agree, I think he needs to mature his style slightly. At Brighton and his previous clubs (apart from Shaktar) there’s never been that much pressure to WIN and so he has a licence to focus on style over substance. At Man Utd he’d probably get away with it for a season, playing nice football but not challenging for the league or cups, but the pressure would quickly come and I’m not sure how he would adapt.

Amorim I think would be able to come in, quickly change the style and mentality in the team through his infectious personality whilst also being pragmatic enough to make us proper challengers after a season. This all being based off of a couple hours reading up on him last night, so I could just be chatting shit.

astracrazy

My first concern with Mourinho when he was appointed, was the fact that he couldn't stay in a club more than 2 to 3 years. At Chelsea, he appears to be losing control of the players and was losing 9 out of 16 games when he was sacked. Rather than picking a manager who is having issues and needed to leave, I am suggesting that we get one at their peak e.g. when City appointed Pep. Pep was extremely successful when he left Barca.

When you say we would be eliminating 99% of managers, you are not wrong. That is how unique and important this position is, and its United we are talking about. To me, still the biggest and most supported club in the world.

Pep, maybe Allegri or Alonso. I just don't want another potential or manager that was rejected by another club again....we should not be going for leftovers.
The trouble is, at the moment we are seen as project. It makes it very hard to get someone who is currently top and winning. It puts us in that zone, which fits in with our manager signings, where we are either getting manager on their way up (or at least perceived) or on their way down.

But Alonso would fail your first point " 1. Managers who are showing potentials but has yet to win nothing "

crossy1686

career ending

Straight from the mouth of the new CEO, so you know exactly what he's thinking. Would be a great appointment, he's destined to go to City otherwise. The way he's got a side that haven't got a recognisable striker scoring goals should be noted by every big team. Just imagine what he could do with an actual attack?

Bright_Eyes

I think starting anew in summer with someone like De Zerbi or Amorim would be best. Someone who is young, showing big promise and has strong ideas on playstyle. I think that ETH fit this description at Ajax and that's why many were so excited about his appointment but things have really not been going well this season. Yes, there are a lot of mitigating circumstances but United need to start being more ruthless with these kinds of decisions, like all of the other big clubs do. I've been ETH in until recently, and I still think he could turn it around, but I think it would be more sensible to cut ties rather than wait and see. Maybe unless he absolutely blows it away for the rest of the season, finishes solidly in the top four and we start seeing a real winning, exciting, playstyle, then let's just start afresh alongside the new ownership and higher ups structure. There are a few other managers out there who are showing big promise who I would say have a better chance of achieving success at United so it'd probably be the right decision.