Who replaces Ten Hag?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Was SAF so much better? re: Stam, Beckham, etc. He didn't even get to do training.

Tuchel is a great, great manager. I loved how he showed Lampard what a capable manager can do. I'm actually worried he will indeed, show better work than ETH. At Bayern he actually has the same transfer shenanigans that we have and he didn't get the players he wanted. Evenso, I agree maybe you want a more charming manager. Like Conte. Ok, I am kidding.

Much as I think Klopp, Pep, Poch are likeable guys, for me a manager does not have to be likeable or be a good man manager. In fact, this United squad will take Potter and sell him for parts. How ETH handled Ronaldo, I was very impressed actually. Any other manager including Tuchel, it would probably end in a public slam match.

I love the Inzaghi suggestion though. But, for me Ten Hag never had the full chance, the full 100% start to show, with new managers, DoF, etc. Ten Hag will get to june, end top 6, reset and 24/25 is the season to show his worth imo.
SAF's man management was the key element of his success. The man could whisper in your ear and make you believe that you're Diego Armando Maradona. FFS we won the EPL title with Cleverley in midfield. Let that sink in.

Regarding ETH he's got his qualities and his fault. On one hand he's very hands on, he's a disciplinarian and his football is quite pleasing to the eye and effective. On the other hand he is a 'system manager' who comes across as very set on his ways. That's not a criticism perse. Guardiola is a system manager as well. Yet someone like that would struggle adapting to players who doesn't fit exactly into his system. Can United afford providing him a 200-300m transfer budget, every year for X amount of years?

Last edited:

Redivy

Not sure why De Zerbi has a very evident ceiling. He's young so has time to learn a thing or two, got a team with some holes performing well, plays good stuff.

Agreed on the patterns with Potter.
I was probably being a bit harsh but I think it’s to do with his philosophy. It’s more about playing good football first, as opposed to winning being the number one priority. He really needs to improve his system on the defensive end. Especially in defensive transitions. It looks almost amateur sometimes when I watch Brighton defend.

If De Zerbi goes come though, I’d be willing to give him a chance as he’d have much better players.

Potter would be a horrible signing though. He is in the Eddie Howe class of manager.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Slightly concerned about the Potter links. INEOs will lose abit of belief in the fanbase if they were to bring him in.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s peoples thoughts on Ruben Amorim? I’ve mentioned him a few times… obviously he’s a risk only managing in a smaller league but he plays exciting football, plays a set system. He’s very young. Anyone know any more about him, can he build a team? What’s his authority like?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
What’s peoples thoughts on Ruben Amorim? I’ve mentioned him a few times… obviously he’s a risk only managing in a smaller league but he plays exciting football, plays a set system. He’s very young. Anyone know any more about him, can he build a team? What’s his authority like?
I thinks there's a write up of him a few pages back :)
By all accounts he's highly rated and for good reason due to the recent success he's managed to bring Sporting in recent times.

Redivy

He certainly has more charisma than any of the other names being thrown around.

What I really like is that he has quite a few years of over performing and sustaining a good side. I only worry when we see managers have 1-2 good seasons and then move to a big club. Amorim is still so young but has a good few seasons at a high level, and that makes me confident that he can now take that step up.

He’d be my choice.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think Nagelsmann still has something about him. He's equally young and has already earned a very good reputation in the game.
Plus, he looks like he has the right arrogance and charisma for a big job and we are a big job.

He oddly reminds me of a young LVG to some extent.

But people say there's a lack of quality managers out there for us but I strongly disagree. There's alot of major promising young managers breaking through now.

devilish

Would Potter be that terrible? He was highly rated at Brighton and though he tanked at Chelsea, everyone does that especially under Boehly. I think that Ashworth is a good judge of character and talent

Van_Glorious

At the very least whoever manages us should have won some silverware or done something extraordinary like a champions league final or a really high finish like Pochettino.

So that would be a no for Potter and De Zerbi.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Really feels like the aftermath of tomorrow could spell the end of EtH. There's no way he recovers if City decide to really go for it.
How many times has this been said and yet he is still here? I want him gone, it's well known on here. But let's be realistic; Sir Jim is happy to dither whilst the top teams in search of a manager prepare to get the best new managers as soon as possible.

Newstyle

He will be gone at the end of the season regardless how good the results are. The progression is not there, in spite of all the talk ETH does about the process. INEOS have changed Head Coach at Nice 8 times in 8 years, making it clear who is first to go when you are not playing well.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

SAF's man management was the key element of his success. The man could whisper in your ear and make you believe that you're Diego Armando Maradona. FFS we won the EPL title with Cleverley in midfield. Let that sink in.

Regarding ETH he's got his qualities and his fault. On one hand he's very hands on, he's a disciplinarian and his football is quite pleasing to the eye and effective. On the other hand he is a 'system manager' who comes across as very set on his ways. That's not a criticism perse. Guardiola is a system manager as well. Yet someone like that would struggle adapting to players who doesn't fit exactly into his system. Can United afford providing him a 200-300m transfer budget, every year for X amount of years?
I hear you. But EtH a strict system manager that needs players to follow his exact system? That is not true. He ditched a high line approach after the Brighton loss after concluding De Gea cannot handle that.

And EtH will go down into history as the only manager to have Rashford 30 goals a season, we all agree on that.

He also got a tune out of slow and liability prone Maguire. I did not see that coming. Even Fred sometimes had good games and McTominay has been a slayer with game changing goals. Heck, he has twice as many goals as our 10 Fernandes! So EtH can adapt. I do not think he needs 2-300 million each summer. Actually, a CD, a DM, a replacement 10 and a winger/striker, together with current players fit, will be good enough for top 4 for sure.

Last edited:

ohhrooney

I don’t give a rats ass what other clubs are doing. We have a good manager, and I personally wouldn’t be sacking him before Christmas.
He’s won the league cup, and finished in the CL spots last year. We could conceivably get top 5 and win the FA Cup this season. Would you then still sack him, or would he be lauded again?
The famous and most coveted trophy in football. The League Cup. The diamond on the King’s crown. The proudest moment in history of Manchester United. The treble was pale in comparison. We should never sack Eric Ten Hag even if it’s 2035, because he won The League Cup in 2023.

devilish

I hear you. But EtH a strict system manager that needs players to follow his exact system? That is not true. He ditched a high line approach after the Brighton loss after concluding De Gea canot handle that. And EtH will go down into history as the only manager to have Rashford 30 goals a season, we all agree on that. He also got a tune out of slow and liabilty prone Maguire. i did not see that coming. Even Fred sometimes had good games and McTominay has been a slayer with game changing goals. Heck, he has twice as many goals as our 10 Fernandes! So EtH can adapt. I do not think he needs 2-300 million each summer. Actually, a CD, a DM, a replacement 10 and a winger/striker, together with current players fit, will be good enough for top 4 for sure.
He ditched a high line approach because he simply lack the men to play it. I mean all the defense is injured. However despite conceding to a deep line he's struggling to adapt to the new circumstances.

a- he's only toying with counter attack football lately and that despite most of Ole/Mou team is built around that concept
b- Mainoo and Bruno are played too high up the pitch despite its evident that Casemiro lack the legs to cover the gaping hole left in CM due to a low block defense.
c- His gruesome training regime is killing the squad.

Don't take me wrong I am not ETH out. As said there were and there are still many successful 'system' managers from Sacchi to LVG right to Pep. But system managers are great when everything falls straight into their system. Can we do that? Do we afford it?

Godfather

I don’t give a rats ass what other clubs are doing. We have a good manager, and I personally wouldn’t be sacking him before Christmas.
He’s won the league cup, and finished in the CL spots last year. We could conceivably get top 5 and win the FA Cup this season. Would you then still sack him, or would he be lauded again?
Nice WUM.

moodyred

Brighton is losing again. Roberto De Zebri suddenly doesn't look so bright as a prospect anymore.

Redstain

From very few games I observed he would certainly reassure the defensive side of the game. Remember them in the UCL, 5 across the back and they pressed high but also sat deep at times when the opposition team played their way through without losing structure of the team shape. It's basically in some ways a more successful version of what Eth has attempted to do this season without the gaping holes in the midfield. There's an extra man in defense so being countered is mitigated in terms of risk.

My only issue with Amorim from very few games I observed was that the chance creation phases with his teams is heavily dependent on wide players interchanging into central areas. A theme that almost every manager since LVG has been dependent.

I would like to see United create overloads in the midfield for once as opposed to relying solely on width to break defenses. I think it's what's given City such a strong foundation over the years, if teams overcommit on the flanks they can bombard the middle which explains why a holding player like Rodri has many goal involvements for a profile of his position.

Last edited:

wolvored

I hear you. But EtH a strict system manager that needs players to follow his exact system? That is not true. He ditched a high line approach after the Brighton loss after concluding De Gea cannot handle that.

And EtH will go down into history as the only manager to have Rashford 30 goals a season, we all agree on that.

He also got a tune out of slow and liabilty prone Maguire. I did not see that coming. Even Fred sometimes had good games and McTominay has been a slayer with game changing goals. Heck, he has twice as many goals as our 10 Fernandes! So EtH can adapt. I do not think he needs 2-300 million each summer. Actually, a CD, a DM, a replacement 10 and a winger/striker, together with current players fit, will be good enough for top 4 for sure.
He will also go down in history on buying Antony the worst 85 mill spent ever.
Talking the talk we were the better team after we have been beaten and everyone has seen it wasnt so.
He is the only manager to play a high line in attack and a low block in defence, then wonders why teams walk through our midfield time and again, yet does not change it saying trust the process.
He has a blind spot in some players, never or hardly dropping them when they are way off form.
He wanted Maguire and McTom gone, now plays them as much as possible.
His in game management is mostly shocking.

meninred

I mostly agree on what is said above on ETH. Although i tried to see it from different angles , to me he has more negatives than positives. it is not even glass half full half empty.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He will be gone at the end of the season regardless how good the results are. The progression is not there, in spite of all the talk ETH does about the process. INEOS have changed Head Coach at Nice 8 times in 8 years, making it clear who is first to go when you are not playing well.
There's a lot of "not top coaches" in the world that you can hire for Nice. There's not quite as many top coaches that you can look at for Man United. And it's a very expensive hobby hiring a new one every year as well.

The Mitcher

Ineos shouldn't give a toss what the fans want or think, football fans are mostly clueless as seen on this forum myself included on a daily basis
Yeah, but Potter is a failure. He should not be seriously discussed.

The Mitcher

To be fair ten Hag being replaced shouldn’t be discussed until the new structure are in place but here we are.
No it absolutely should be. Especially as we had the old one for most of the season, who could have sacked him at any point and chose not to. If SJR has any sense ETH should be gone now to get a new manager boost to get as many points as possible. There is no way he is getting top 4, especially as top 5 will not get us champions league considering the results of other teams in Europe. He has to go now.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Simeone Inzaghi is the best candidate right now. Others would be exciting options but I think he is the best choice based on what he's done at Inter and the tactical nous he is showing. They don't concede much and score quite a lot. Only lost one this season, CL Final last season where they pushed City even with a team of players not considered top class. Think he's won trophies on ever season at Inter, if I recall correctly. Without a doubt much better than ETH.

I don't think there's another that ticks as many boxes. Having said that, there's a few names that would be exciting and would get a good shot at it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Simeone Inzaghi is the best candidate right now. Others would be exciting options but I think he is the best choice based on what he's done at Inter and the tactical nous he is showing. They don't concede much and score quite a lot. Only lost one this season, CL Final last season where they pushed City even with a team of players not considered top class. Think he's won trophies on ever season at Inter, if I recall correctly. Without a doubt much better than ETH.

I don't think there's another that ticks as many boxes. Having said that, there's a few names that would be exciting and would get a good shot at it.
He's doing well, and I like the way Inter play when I've seen them (it's pretty fluid and aggressive for a back three system).

However, he's never set foot outside of Italy, either as a player or manager. One of Ten Hag's apparent flaws is that he supposedly has trouble communicating his ideas to the squad - I dunno about replacing him with someone who might not speak a word of English.

The Mitcher

He's doing well, and I like the way Inter play when I've seen them (it's pretty fluid and aggressive for a back three system).

However, he's never set foot outside of Italy, either as a player or manager. One of Ten Hag's apparent flaws is that he supposedly has trouble communicating his ideas to the squad - I dunno about replacing him with someone who might not speak a word of English.
Maldini only played in Italy and speaks amazing English. Don't be so quick to judge.

lsd

The Oracle
Funny feeling it might be Ole back.

Should have stuck with him. To think all those people who wanted him out criticising lack of playing style and who wanted Ten Hag in promising he would be so much better.

Instead we are playing worse football as bad as the Van Gaal days with no sign of any game plan We get outplayed by every team we face.

Every day we don't sack Ten Hag we just slip further back and further and further from every getting back to where we want to be.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Maldini only played in Italy and speaks amazing English. Don't be so quick to judge.
Yeah, it's certainly not impossible that he does, and it's hard to find reliable information on things like that, but it'd be a big question mark for me.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Should have stuck with him. To think all those people who wanted him out criticising lack of playing style and who wanted Ten Hag in promising he would be so much better.

Instead we are playing worse football as bad as the Van Gaal days with no sign of any game plan We get outplayed by every team we face.

Every day we don't sack Ten Hag we just slip further back and further and further from every getting back to where we want to be.
I think at this point the Caf has lost its collective mind!

I definitely don’t see football as boring LVG, and the last paragraph is pure hyperbole. I’m sure there is a post to the same effect on the Caf for every manager since SAF. Everyone we’ve had has been the worse manager ever until the next one became worse.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Ole had utterly lost the plot / dressing room in his last season. It was worse anything we've seen since - worse than Rangnick (with the same players), worse than ETH. Ole absolutely needed to go.

NoPace

I was probably being a bit harsh but I think it’s to do with his philosophy. It’s more about playing good football first, as opposed to winning being the number one priority. He really needs to improve his system on the defensive end. Especially in defensive transitions. It looks almost amateur sometimes when I watch Brighton defend.

If De Zerbi goes come though, I’d be willing to give him a chance as he’d have much better players.

Potter would be a horrible signing though. He is in the Eddie Howe class of manager.
I would say that being elite in one respect as a young coach is a good start. Maybe he gets the right #2 to help him defensively, or quality signings can mask things better (he has very slow CBs at Brighton, Lamptey isn't a great defender and he has no dominant DM type of player).

I've been impressed with how hard Howe has gotten Newcastle to play. Wouldn't be excited for him as an appointment obviously, but I also wouldn't be shocked if his post-Newcastle job sees him succeed if he picks the right spot and works his way back to a top job. He might be better off being a tad adventurous and risky with his choice rather than just taking a West Ham or Everton job and needing to get his team into the top 5 or 6 to get back there. The halfway option is probably for him to get the England job. He might do okay there, a lot of hard running and common sense can go a long way in international football.