Who replaces Ten Hag?

gajender

Ballsy is an understatement. He's only really into his full second season as a full time senior manager.
I actually think lack of experience as Manager shouldn't be a deal breaker if we believe candidate has other attributes we are looking for in our new coach .

Teja

Mckenna could be interesting and ballsy choice .
Flashbacks from him teaching Ronaldo and co how to angle their runs. We have some big egos and they won't listen to a nobody like McKenna. He needs to prove he's got it and come up the pyramid like any regular manager.

Teja

Slightly concerned about the Potter links. INEOs will lose abit of belief in the fanbase if they were to bring him in.
I wouldn't mind him - he did about as well as De Zerbi during Brighton days. On an interim we can't get anyone better.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Manager tenures are short term in modern football. So might as well take a punt on someone new if there is evidence to show that they have something to contribute.

croadyman

I would have thought there would be a separate Graham Potter thread about this as it was rumoured previously but this is quite a convincing story. It’s becoming quite a real thing now

i woukd have serious concern. Looked like a deer in the headlights at Chelsea and if we think the pressure at utd will be any less….if anything it will be more

but feck all I can do about it. I will hope he succeeds if they bring him in
Yeah I keep pleading with a mid table team to hurry up and appoint Potter so he's off the market

gajender

Flashbacks from him teaching Ronaldo and co how to angle their runs. We have some big egos and they won't listen to a nobody like McKenna. He needs to prove he's got it and come up the pyramid like any regular manager.
Outside of Varane and Casemiro what exactly have any other player from United have achieved to warrant big ego's , yes Mckenna is virtual nobody apart from being just another promising young manager but same is true for most of United's squad they are also nobody in grand scheme of things .

And what's this obsession with Manager coming through specific path to be considered for biggest jobs when it hardly any guarantee of success either .

Telsim

Should have stuck with him. To think all those people who wanted him out criticising lack of playing style and who wanted Ten Hag in promising he would be so much better.

Instead we are playing worse football as bad as the Van Gaal days with no sign of any game plan We get outplayed by every team we face.

Every day we don't sack Ten Hag we just slip further back and further and further from every getting back to where we want to be.
Ten Hag being a failure most definitely doesn't mean we should have stuck with Ole. Both have no business managing a top club. Back then, the choice was between Pochettino, a known bottler and a subpar manager, and Ten Hag, an unknown. It was worth it as a calculated risk, but it didn't pay off. We just need to know when to cut our losses and move on. Have him finish the season to reduce his compensation, while making plans for the next manager, then get rid and replace as soon as possible. And I believe that is what Ratcliffe is planning to do. Ten Hag is finished here, rightfully so, it's just a matter of time.

ForeverRed1

People have been saying similar for 6+ years. In that time the squads been turned over at least twice.
unfortunately at man united players are given huge contracts for not really doing much. They can go (at the age of 21) from playing in the German league on a fairly humble (in footballing terms) wage to being one of the premier leagues highest earners. Also we still have players in this squad, in this dressing room that were here 6 years ago. The younger lads (rashford) have also grown up learning from these players. It’s a continuous cycle.

Also the top level is filled with accountants rather than footballing men so it’s kind of fitting that we’re a giant cash cow/commercial money machine over a football club. Have been for years.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Just seen what Fabregas said about alarm bells ringing at Old Trafford and that we looked like we had more of a plan under Solskjaer :nervous:

Seems the media and those not watching us each week have finally had the penny drop and they're seeing what most of us are seeing.

brontelicious

Just seen what Fabregas said about alarm bells ringing at Old Trafford and that we looked like we had more of a plan under Solskjaer :nervous:

Seems the media and those not watching us each week have finally had the penny drop and they're seeing what most of us are seeing.
Richard Keys had this narrative going a year ago, too, maybe we should pay closer attention to unspecified commentary coming from attention-seeking media pundits.

pocco

loco
Richard Keys had this narrative going a year ago, too, maybe we should pay closer attention to unspecified commentary coming from attention-seeking media pundits.
Maybe they're right in some ways. Not saying that Ole had a winning formula, as he didn't, but the signs have been there with ETH. Just because they're pundits, it doesn't make their opinion less valid than yours or mine. And Fabregas was a top class footballer.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Funny feeling it might be Ole back.
Ole was the epitome, the very top of Manchester Uniteds top brass ineptitude. He had good ideas but like all ex top player jumped in top club manager in the space of 2 years, he failed miserably everytime he came up against a manager that could adapt to his basic counter setup. Ole flipped every tactic, changed 3 or 4 times shape sometimes in one game, went from 5-3-2 to 3-4-3 to 4-3-3. But when he finally did somehow manage to make it work with a young and fast forward line, here come whatshisname and sign Ronaldo in his tractorspeed years.

Then Rangnick came in and had to make him, Maguire, Lindelof, De Gea work as a modern pressing team. We all seen how that went. And currently. The squad is a miss match for defensive Jose style, counter, and something in between.

We can hire Emery, Pep and Klopp and have them rotate every week or sit the three of them on the bench, this squad will not fight for top honours tomorrow. Unless Ten Hag enters 3, 4 or 5 crazy losses against average opposition INEOS would be crazy to sack him.

Even if they want someone else, it needs be done this summer with a solid plan, a solid vision and a solid transfer activity both in and out. Who knows, without the Boehly tactics of shoving 12 new players 2 days before the end of the transfer deadline, maybe Potter somehow can make it work. For now I remain firmly in keep Ten Hag at least until the summer whilst we have some chats with Potter, Inzaghi and uhm, Emery. I like Emery. He does amazing stuff with Villa. But Ten hag also produced some amazing games and I just hope even if its just for continuity sake, that he keeps it up and going. Top 6 finish 23/24 would be reasonable, with top 4 as hard target for 24/25 if he get 4 quality players added.

Munkehboi

I actually think lack of experience as Manager shouldn't be a deal breaker if we believe candidate has other attributes we are looking for in our new coach .
I somewhat agree with that as is the case of someone like Xabi Alonso who probably has had a similar amount of managerial expereince as McKenna. I think the point I wanted to make without being obvious at all (my bad, apologies) is that I feel he lacks the experience of managing big players and was never a big name himself unlike the likes of Xabi Alonso, Zidane etc who came in from relative managerial obscurity. I dont think he would have the same sort of respect and there's a real threat I feel with the culture that we have at this club of players undermining him.

He has a fantastic team of players that play as a collective and not individuals at Ipswich. They play with intensity and have clearly all brought in to his philosophy. How that translate at a club of our magnitude with our players is anybodys guess but the way he sets up, I don't see a role for Bruno in there. I dont think Bruno is suited to Chaplins false 9/10 role. That maybe a good thing but will he have the expereince to deal with the dressing room and fall out?

Dominos

Would Potter be that terrible? He was highly rated at Brighton and though he tanked at Chelsea, everyone does that especially under Boehly. I think that Ashworth is a good judge of character and talent
Surely we've learnt our lesson with Moyes.

Potter's best achievement is finishing 9th in the premier league on 51 points... And then flopped at a big club. In what universe would he be the #1 candidate to take the biggest job in English football. He shouldn't even be on the top 10 list.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Hope it's not Potter... talk about him starting to get strong. The obvious one is Alonso but that won't happen so I wonder about Hansi Flcik

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Surely we've learnt our lesson with Moyes.

Potter's best achievement is finishing 9th in the premier league on 51 points... And then flopped at a big club. In what universe would he be the #1 candidate to take the biggest job in English football. He shouldn't even be on the top 10 list.

Moyes was in the worst situation imaginable. He was thrown as SAF's replacement (who was United's manager, assistant manager, DOF, Sporting director and head of recruitment all rolled in one) in an arrogant United who thought that they had the knees bees when all they had was a mix of ageing legends and workhorses and was also stripped by the brilliance of David 'I stay until SAF stays' Gill. We've seen it afterwards that no manager can get this shit sorted on his own.

I am not a big fan of Potter but I've recently watched a video from Athletic which revealed what a shambles Chelsea was during his tenure. I would prefer Inzaghi to him but United need to hit the ground running and getting a 'transitional' manager that the sporting director trusts and who would allow changes to be made without any fuss isn't the worst of plans either

renatosanches85

We need an elite coach. McKenna is not one. Potter is not one.
LVG was an elite coach, Mourinho also. Popular opinion was that ten Hag was elite when he came to us.

Maybe we do need a “project manager” to go with the INEOS plan. Elite coaches aren’t in it for the long term possibilities, it’s the short term successes. This club is not in for any short term successes I fear, it needs a root and branch clear out. IMHO Lindelof, Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Evans, Malacia, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Amad, Pellistri, Van de Beek, Martial, Greenwood, Williams, Heston, Bayindir all have to go. That’s more than 20 players needing replacing, no elite coach wants to oversee that. Arteta wasn’t viewed as an elite coach when he got the Arsenal gig, he had to oversee a similar overhaul, he is now on his way to being an elite coach.

Reactions: Raoul

Red Royal

LVG was an elite coach, Mourinho also. Popular opinion was that ten Hag was elite when he came to us.

Maybe we do need a “project manager” to go with the INEOS plan. Elite coaches aren’t in it for the long term possibilities, it’s the short term successes. This club is not in for any short term successes I fear, it needs a root and branch clear out. IMHO Lindelof, Dalot, Varane, Maguire, Evans, Malacia, Casemiro, Eriksen, McTominay, Fernandes, Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Amad, Pellistri, Van de Beek, Martial, Greenwood, Williams, Heston, Bayindir all have to go. That’s more than 20 players needing replacing, no elite coach wants to oversee that. Arteta wasn’t viewed as an elite coach when he got the Arsenal gig, he had to oversee a similar overhaul, he is now on his way to being an elite coach.
Project coaches sound good in theory, but noone is getting time. It's a results business....one season at best to build like Erik got.

pocco

loco
Moyes was in the worst situation imaginable. He was thrown as SAF's replacement (who was United's manager, assistant manager, DOF, Sporting director and head of recruitment all rolled in one) in an arrogant United who thought that they had the knees bees when all they had was a mix of ageing legends and workhorses and was also stripped by the brilliance of David 'I stay until SAF stays' Gill. We've seen it afterwards that no manager can get this shit sorted on his own.

I am not a big fan of Potter but I've recently watched a video from Athletic which revealed what a shambles Chelsea was during his tenure. I would prefer Inzaghi to him but United need to hit the ground running and getting a 'transitional' manager that the sporting director trusts and who would allow changes to be made without any fuss isn't the worst of plans either

I'm shocked Devilish, a reasonable take on two British managers! :D

I think there's no doubt the Chelsea job was and still is a huge poisoned chalice. Boehly as DoF led to loads of money spent and a completely unbalanced side, ill equipped to deal with the PL in the short term. Perhaps some of their players can be salvaged but introducing so many young players at once has killed them. They've got some ageing players to lead but they're all past their best on the pitch. And that's just this season, they've spent considerably since Potter was sacked and are still struggling.

In hindsight he was set up to fail and I can't understand people who want to use that season to define what had been a very promising career prior.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

20 players! :lol: Just brilliant.

Marcelinho87

I’d take Potter.

I refuse to hold that Chelsea stint against him, they are worse than we are and caf darling Poch is struggling there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm shocked Devilish, a reasonable take on two British managers! :D

I think there's no doubt the Chelsea job was and still is a huge poisoned chalice. Boehly as DoF led to loads of money spent and a completely unbalanced side, ill equipped to deal with the PL in the short term. Perhaps some of their players can be salvaged but introducing so many young players at once has killed them. They've got some ageing players to lead but they're all past their best on the pitch. And that's just this season, they've spent considerably since Potter was sacked and are still struggling.

In hindsight he was set up to fail and I can't understand people who want to use that season to define what had been a very promising career prior.
I believe that a post is a snapshot of what that person would know at the time. As new information emerges then we, as posters, should be humble enough to change our opinion accordingly. There's no chance in hell that Moyes was going to be able to replace SAF but that applies to any other manager. That's because SAF was not just a brilliant manager but also a brilliant Sporting director, a brilliant head of recruitment, a brilliant DOF, a brilliant technical director and and a brilliant assistant manager all rolled in one/

At Chelsea Potter was placed into an impossible situation as well and that video from Athletic reveals it. Potter gets crapped upon by many but let's not forget that he left Chelsea at 11th place same as Pochs is at the moment.

We also need to consider the changes that United are currently implementing. If we decide to build a structure were the manager is simply a head coach then we shouldn't be shocked if we end up hiring a head coach.

el3mel

Would people here like Tuchel?

I think he will be a great short term option. He's a tactical genius but kinda troublemaker and usually loses his players quickly. He can give us a solid one or two years until a more long term option is available. We should be ready to move on from him quickly when things go south though.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Would people here like Tuchel?

I think he will be a great short term option. He's a tactical genius but kinda troublemaker and usually loses his players quickly. He can give us a solid one or two years until a more long term option is available. We should be ready to move on from him quickly when things go south though.
I would say yes, even though I never liked Tuchel's style.
Only reason is I don't think Tuchel can do any worse than ETH.
Oh...and we are never ready to move on from a manager...we usually wait until there is nothing to save.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I wouldn't touch ETH until summer anyway.
If the new manager comes in right now, a bunch of players who are proven to be not good enough will start putting a shift and actually look decent. Then we won't sell them in the summer and they story will end the same way it does every year.

Get new manager in may, do a complete squad overhaul QUICKLY and move on to preseason. Best thing we can do now.

el3mel

I wouldn't touch ETH until summer anyway.
If the new manager comes in right now, a bunch of players who are proven to be not good enough will start putting a shift and actually look decent. Then we won't sell them in the summer and they story will end the same way it does every year.

Get new manager in may, do a complete squad overhaul QUICKLY and move on to preseason. Best thing we can do now.
We aren't going to make a squad overhaul in one summer.

GMoore23

Ole had utterly lost the plot / dressing room in his last season. It was worse anything we've seen since - worse than Rangnick (with the same players), worse than ETH. Ole absolutely needed to go.
We had a really easy run of fixtures coming up and Ole would've bounced back.
We were far worse under Rangnick.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
We aren't going to make a squad overhaul in one summer.
Maybe. But I don't like they idea of a bunch of people continuing next season. And we know them. And we know they'll give their all in the next 2 months to impress the new manager and then revert to being awful.