Who screwed up more in the final, Pep or Ole?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Pep tactically they were toothless for 97 minutes.

Ole played some good football but Villareal just got the lucky they needed on the night, once it went to penalties we knew it was over, Ole messed up by not making subs.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pep. Ole put his main players out and hoped they could get through Villarreal... they couldn't and his biggest mistake for me was starting Rashford, possibly due to Fred knock. Followed by subs far too late.

With that squad and a settled, successful way of playing, Pep chooses a CL final to piss about... possibly because he over thought it after Chelsea beat them earlier this season.

Sterling up top was an awful decision.

Dropping defensive MFers for Gundogan (taking something from his game at the same time) was an awful decision.

Waiting an hour to sub (and seemingly forced by KdB injury) was a mistake.

With the resources he had, Pep deserves to get grief tonight.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Messing with his best starting XI, starting an out of form Sterling and no DM against N'Golo Kanté's Chelsea was borderline insanity and he paid dearly for it. Not the first and certainly the last time he overthought a CL game. Now it takes some nerves to bring OGS and Pep in the same sentence.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He'll get there eventually. Just needs to figure out who else he can take out to stick another winger or attacking CM on the pitch.
There’s always a weird selection and formation thrown in and they over think it. If I was a city fan I’d actually be gutted because this lad is the best manager they are going to have and how long more is he going to stay there realistically?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't think Pep fecked up. This is a very good Chelsea team and in the end, they were a bit more lucky. City had many dangerous situations and Chelsea many clearances/blocks in the very last moment. Not always somebody has to feck up. Small margins in football beteeen losing and winning.

tomaldinho1

For all the abuse ole gets i think pep has got this one with his over tinkering and trying to be cocky.

Expect abu dhabi to give a blank cheque to pep now.
He has a terrible CL knock out record when you factor in he always has the best squad, bottomless depth and favorable draws.

I’d say it’s as bad as Ole’s - probably worse - when you think they went out to teams like Lyon, Spurs, Monaco.

Andersons Dietician

Can't agree with this, Ole at least selected his best available team, well balanced, whereas Pep set his team up to fail, subs were wrong or too late.

Neither were great, but at least Ole got one decision right.
Ole did not pick his best available team, neither was it balanced. Then refused to make any changes when it was obvious the game was slipping away from us inviting Villareal back in to it. Sorry but in my eyes Ole massively cocked up.

I don’t really see either how Fernandinho stops what happens. Chelsea/Tuchel simply out smarted and out played them. Villareal won due to Ole cocking up.

Godfather

Can't agree with this, Ole at least selected his best available team, well balanced, whereas Pep set his team up to fail, subs were wrong or too late.

Neither were great, but at least Ole got one decision right.
Ole did not. Rashford didn't deserve to start the game based on his form. And I can't remember the last game Pogba looked really good in CM. Plus Ole made the bigger mistakes during the game. And he played a very very average Villarreal team. So it's Ole for me too. Pep fecked up massively as well though but he faced a much better team and much better manager

Welbeckham

Ole the more I think about it. Pep overthinked as he often does, Ole underthinked as he often does.

Pep faced a more competitive opponent, whereas we could have beaten Villarreal easily if Ole wasn’t biased and scared of substituting his so-called, largely unwarranted, star players. But Pep also sacrificed Fernandinho (a known winner) and a previously effective, cohesive set-up for Sterling (a known bottler).

ReddBalls

Ole the more I think about it. Pep overthinked as he often does, Ole underthinked as he often does.

Pep faced a more competitive opponent, whereas we could have beaten Villarreal easily if Ole wasn’t biased and scared of substituting his so-called, largely unwarranted, star players. But Pep also sacrificed Fernandinho (a known winner) and a previously effective, cohesive set-up for Sterling (a known bottler).
Thing is, the way Villareal played is the antidote to Ole, just as the way Ole and Tuchel play is the antidote to Pep.

gazbradley

As individual games maybe slightly Ole due to level of competition but Pep had the league wrapped up a long time ago and winning this trophy is what City brought him in to do so think overall Pep’s has to be seen as the biggest failure

Red Star One

Quality gap between teams was bigger in our case and it was a much easier match to win - opponent not playing well, lesser stage. But Pep is much more established manager, had a better team after all, managed them for 5 years and it was a game he needed more than Ole. He fecked up bigger

SAFMUTD

Definitely Pep, he's a world-class manager and should be judged accordingly.

Ole well... he's Ole, no one is really expecting a master class from him, yeah it seems he deliberately sabotaged us on Wednesday but Pep should be doing way better.

Let's say Pep is a 10 and he gave a 5 performance today while Ole is a 6 and he gave a 2 performance. The drop in quality between expectations and delivery is higher in Pep's case.

Dan_F

Ole. Not sure why this is a thread.
because Pep started a midfield three that (from my memory) had barely started together before as the midfield three? I’m sure they have, but honestly, that midfield was completely lacking a defensive player and it stood out a mile as soon as the team was announced. Pep completely fecked it.

Welbeckham

Thing is, the way Villareal played is the antidote to Ole, just as the way Ole and Tuchel play is the antidote to Pep.
It’s true, but based on his actions during the game, Ole really didn’t even try to win that game.

thepolice123

Ole did not. Rashford didn't deserve to start the game based on his form. And I can't remember the last game Pogba looked really good in CM. Plus Ole made the bigger mistakes during the game. And he played a very very average Villarreal team. So it's Ole for me too. Pep fecked up massively as well though but he faced a much better team and much better manager
I think Fred took a knock and couldn't start? He did put out the best team unless you tell me VDB or James deserve to start over Rashford.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I don't think Pep fecked up. This is a very good Chelsea team and in the end, they were a bit more lucky. City had many dangerous situations and Chelsea many clearances/blocks in the very last moment. Not always somebody has to feck up. Small margins in football beteeen losing and winning.
Are you joking? Even being a massive fanboy aside everyone saw how Pep butchered the first half. Starts an out of form Sterling, plays the teams top goalscorer and probably player of the season in a position he has barely played this year and leaves gaping holes in midfield for Chelsea to be exploited. If it weren't for Werner being useless Chelsea could've been 2/3-0 up at half time.
Also "many dangerous situations" is being kind, they didn't really create big chances.

ReddBalls

It’s true, but based on his actions during the game, Ole really didn’t even try to win that game.
Yeah. He made some bizarre choices. It almost seemed like he had to much trust in his first eleven and when it got to extra time they were gassed and there was no plan.

Edit: To add to that, it seems like Ole is capable of still learning, and this was his first major final. Ever. Next season is key.

OleBoiii

Pep.

His team got outplayed and the CL definitely meant more to City than the EL means for United. Yeah, Chelsea is a better team than Villarreal, but at least we were the better team and only lost after 22 penalties.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't think Pep would have lost to Villareal though, no offense

Mindhunter

So Pep fecking up makes Ole look better by comparison? Glad we got that out of the way. In absolute terms though, Ole fecked up massively, that too in his first major European final.

ReddBalls

So Pep fecking up makes Ole look better by comparison? Glad we got that out of the way. In absolute terms though, Ole fecked up massively, that too in his first major European final.
They both "fecked up". Just goes to show that winning a european cup is hard. Apart from Zidane and Emery, very few managers win it more than once or twice.

Nickelodeon

I hope you did on Wednesday as a United fan, especially as it was our only chance for a trophy? Or is it just because Ole massively fecked up that it's completely irrelevant now?
The disappointment wasn’t even 1% of what it was in 2009 and 2011. UCL is the biggest prize of them all. While Europa is meh to be honest. Would’ve been nice to win but nothing more. Similar to a League Cup.

Scholes_boi

They were huge favourites, less than even money. Chelsea were 7/2.
Umm no they weren't, Chelsea to lift the trophy were only 2/1. Going by win within 90 minutes isn't the best way to follow cup finals with bookies. Even then, Chelsea were never 7/2 to win within 90 mins do tell me what betting agency you were with?

Also Chelsea literally took a leaf out of OUR book. Tuchel played EXACTLY like how we do. Glad they won rather than City at the end of it anyway. If we were in that final, we would have done a better job than our Europa final I bet. People forget that English teams NEVER do well against Spanish teams in European matches. Ever. That being said, Ole made a huge mistake of leaving our starting 11 on for the full 90 minutes. That was just sheer stupidity.

Cloud7

Are we really that insecure? Come on guys.

Pep messed up, without a doubt, but Chelsea are a quality team, with a top level manager, who have beaten City in another cup final recently. There was no massive gap in who was the favorite for this.

The gulf between Chelsea and City was nowhere near the gulf between Villarreal and us. We were overwhelming favorites. Ole made a bigger balls up of the final.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This.

Even if Pep picked the right team and deployed the appropriate tactics, its feasible they still might have lost against this Chelsea team.

There was no excuse for us to lose against a mid tabled Villareal with the players we had.
Yes there is, it’s called “football eh”

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Why would that be relevant?
It's relevant because Manchester United weren't in the CL final, but the EL final.

It is kind of cute that you guys don't realize quite how pathetic a thread like this is.

ReddBalls

It's relevant because Manchester United weren't in the CL final, but the EL final.

It is kind of cute that you guys don't realize quite how pathetic a thread like this is.
That's false though. Regardless of competition, City would flat track Villareal while struggle and probably lose against United. It's not like teams change character dependent of which competition they play.

I do agree that the thread is kind of pointless though.

Redlyn

I hope you did on Wednesday as a United fan, especially as it was our only chance for a trophy? Or is it just because Ole massively fecked up that it's completely irrelevant now?
Meh. I was disappointed. It hurt. But I was soon over it. Right now it's like it never happened. Losing the CL final or losing the league on the last day that shit fecking hurted for days.

Zlatanator

We've got to appreciate that Ole's lineup was spot on and we are in the game for the win.