Who should be England's #1 Goalkeeper in the World Cup?

Classical Mechanic

Butland isn't actually that much more experienced than Pickford at premier league level. He was made first choice for Stoke in August 2015, Pickford in August 2016.

However remember Butland was out for practically a year after he picked up an injury v Germany in March 2016 so if you're going down the experienced route there's little between them.
What do you make of Sam Johnstone, not for England right now, just as a Villa fan?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sam Johnstone, United player still. Very solid keeper at the top end of The Championship with Villa. I think he will play for England one day.

The Villa fans want him to stay with them anyway

Sam's done well for us this season but he struggles to command the penalty box from corners and we've conceded a fair few soft ones so given how important set pieces are at international level he needs to have a couple of premier league seasons before being in contention imo.

Revaulx

Jack Butland is comfortably our best option.

Hart is abysmal and will be lucky to make the squad. Pickford, well, it's too early. Neville was spot on last night when he said that the World Cup is unforgiving. It's no place to throw in young goalkeepers like Pickford and Pope (who's goal conceded tally is mostly to do with Burnley and Dyche's well drilled machine).
Not only that. We have to endure his nauseatingly OTT displays of pumped-up "passion" in the tunnel pre-match. As do his teammates, which can't be helpful to them.

I wouldn't say Butland is comfortably anything, but he's the best compromise of form and experience there is.

So Hart it'll be then :D

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Hart shouldn’t have played again after his shitshow at the last Euros, so we should’ve been in a position where one of the others would have had the chance to establish themselves as number one.

But since that didn’t happen, we’re in a difficult position. On balance I would start Butland and have Pope and Pickford in the squad with the view of one of the three establishing themselves going forward. I’d have Hart nowhere near, despite the lack of international experience of the other three.

OrlandoPirates-Soweto

Nick pope gets my shout because he’s been consistent. Experience is no good enough reason to pick a player when they have been under performing.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
To be fair to Hart, he's never made a mistake that knocked us out a tournament

He's just never done anything to keep us in a tournament either

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
I watch a lot of Everton and Pickford is usually their best and most consistent player. They'd lose all their games by nasty scores if it weren't for Pickford. His main issue is he tends to parry the ball back into play and that could be too costly for England atm. Butland should go with Pickford as second but Pope has impressed too.

dogwithabone

Butland.

I can't believe some are suggesting Hart. He’s hopeless and we are well and truly f***** if he’s going to have any input in this WC. There aren’t any genuine world class keepers to pick from but I do think Ben Foster is worth taking along with Butland and Pickford.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Southgate would never live it down if he picked a bench warmer as his starting keeper. Months of saying he won't call up players not playing for their clubs and he picks Hart while there are actually English keepers playing week in week out for their clubs.

LLMU

Nick Pope or Pickford should be given a chance in the next two friendlies but I think Southgate will go with experience guy like Hart in tournament game. Romero is sitting on our bench but yet he is a starter for his NT.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Hart is no longer head and shoulders above the other keepers. He should no longer be the No 1 choice, I'd vote for Butland.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised at the shouts for Hart. Lack of credible alternatives or not, he's become a serial failure for England. Culpable in their early exits from both the 2014 World Cup and Euro 2016.

It'll be interesting to see whether Southgate repeats the mistakes of Hodgson, Capello, Eriksson and Robson in selecting keepers well past their sell-by date.
Hart shouldn't even make the squad. He had a horror show last tournament, and has been shite for years.

Butland #1 and Pickford as back up.
Agree with you both.

Can't believe people in this thread are advocating Joe Hart. He's not even playing at the moment.

Pickford and Butland for me.

thedano

There is a shortage of options from the Premiership but a couple of very good keepers in the EFL.

Alex Smithies at QPR is very highly rated, player of the year for them last season, I think he will make the move to the Premiership next year.

A poster above said Angus Gunn on loan from City at Norwich, he is having a decent season.

Then there is two former Cambridge keepers at Wolves, Ruddy (has England caps) and Will Norris, who are both good.

Southgate would never live it down if he picked a bench warmer as his starting keeper. Months of saying he won't call up players not playing for their clubs and he picks Hart while there are actually English keepers playing week in week out for their clubs.
Works for Argentina...

Southgate has buggered this up. Hart should have been dropped after the Euros, and give the other keepers some experience. We either now have a reserve keeper, or one with just a handful of caps in friendlies as our GK at the WC. Poor planning.

JMack1234

Hart shouldn't even be getting into the squad never mind the first 11 he's been awful for a few seasons now. He was our worst player at the euros and I swear he was suspect for literally every goal we conceded and top it all of he's currently sitting on the bench of a terrible West Ham team and if Southgate picks Hart we should throw him into the sea...so there.

I don't watch much of Everton or Stoke but from what I gather there isn't much between Butland and Pickford. I think Pickford is slightly more talented but Butland is more experienced so I think i'd go for Butland.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Works for Argentina...

Southgate has buggered this up. Hart should have been dropped after the Euros, and give the other keepers some experience. We either now have a reserve keeper, or one with just a handful of caps in friendlies as our GK at the WC. Poor planning.
Romero's been Argentina number one since 2009 hasn't he? I'm not a huge fan of him but he has been solid for them in the Copa and World cup 2014.

Issue here is Hart has been on the decline last year, been suspect in last two tournaments, others are playing week in week out yet still could be picked as number one.

Web of Bissaka

Jack Butland has conceded 46 in 26 games with 5 clean sheets.
Nick Pope has conceded 22 in 26 games with 10 clean sheets.
Jordan Pickford has conceded 49 in 29 games with 6 clean sheets.
Joe Hart has conceded 30 in 14 games with 3 clean sheets.
National Team usually brings 3 GK.

Jack Butland #1, safest bet, not spectacular, but solid.

Nick Pope #2, second choice, good form, good basic GK play, rarely see him make mistakes.

Jordan Pickford #3, for the future, give him the experience. Doubt he'll get any games, but the exp would possibly be rewarding.

Players like Hart, whose form is bad and tendency to make mistakes, as a keeper, no reason to bring him, and even how can his experiences help his case.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

I would go for Pickford. Makes mistakes, but is the best bet for the future, & it isn't like there is anyone saying pick me.

What has happened to top class English Goalkeepers. We had been spoilt with choice for many years until recently, with quality goalies not even starting.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
What has happened to top class English Goalkeepers. We had been spoilt with choice for many years until recently, with quality goalies not even starting.
Since Terry Venables, we have had Ian Walker, David James, Richard Wright, Paul Robinson, Rob Green, Ben Foster, Scott Carson, Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, and Tom Heaton that have gotten multiple caps for England. I would not classify Venables' time as "recent" and none of the keeper that list was top class.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Butland and Pickford. Pickford should be given a chance in the friendly as well as Pope.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can't think of any English keepers from the top of my head apart from Joe Heart.

I guess, erm, is Forster from England? Is he any good?

I just realized I know feck all about keepers.

Aboutreika18

Butland and Pickford have both played for teams that have conceded far too many goals.

Obviously, it's not entirely their fault but going into a tournament you'd want your first choice keeper to be someone familiar with keeping clean sheets, which is why I don't think taking a punt on Pope is such a bad idea, given there are no stand out options.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I'd love it if they took a chance on Pickford or Pope.

Just do something England managers never do and mix it up for once.

Classical Mechanic

I would go for Pickford. Makes mistakes, but is the best bet for the future, & it isn't like there is anyone saying pick me.

We haven't had a first class keeper since Seaman. Hart was at a high level for a couple of seasons.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I'm not sure about that. He made a mess of the second goal against Iceland iirc.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not sure about that. He made a mess of the second goal against Iceland iirc.
Yeah, I don't think he's covered himself in glory in any tournament really. Even in his better days at Euro 2012, he didn't look great for Nasri's goal for France. Same in 2014 with Suarez's winner, and a shitshow all round in 2016 when things might have panned out differently had they not made such heavy weather of beating Wales after his feck-up for Bale's free-kick.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Since Terry Venables, we have had Ian Walker, David James, Richard Wright, Paul Robinson, Rob Green, Ben Foster, Scott Carson, Joe Hart, Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, and Tom Heaton that have gotten multiple caps for England. I would not classify Venables' time as "recent" and none of the keeper that list was top class.
Last time it was good standard was 98. Seaman as number one (just before he hit his decline) and back up was Nigel Martyn and Tim Flowers, both excellent club keepers.

After that most of the leading clubs went with foreign keepers and promising ones like Kirkland, Carson and Ben Foster didn't take their chances or didn't turn out that good.

The only plus atm is at least there's six regularly playing in the premier league which is the highest it's been for many seasons I'd imagine.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Most PL clean sheets this season

Clean sheets (Save %)

David de Gea 15 (81%) :drool:
Thibaut Courtois 13 (68%)
Ederson 13 (71%)
Hugo Lloris 13 (70%)
Petr Cech 9 (62%)
Nick Pope 9 (79%)