Who should manage England next ?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Brutal words from Redknapp about Southgate.

I have no idea who you guys will get. Go foreign again.
I agreed with him right up to the point that he brought up Tim Sherwood, then decided that he was talking utter bollox,

Eckers99

Does Shearer have badges? He would be my choice, maybe inviting Neville back into the fold and a couple more ex-England people.

I think people underestimate the inspiration a legend for your country can have - particularly at international level. Motivation was the biggest problem last night and the players just didn't play as though they were inspired by their manager. And Shearer knows a lot about the game.
See this is part of the problem: we see the failings of the previous manager and we lurch so far away from that that we end up stuck with a different kind of crap. The last one was all tactics and no motivation - let's hire someone who's all motivation and no tactics! The last one was all foreign and dour - let's get one who's really, really chipper and English!

Hiring a legend just doesn't go nearly deep enough. Keegan was a former-England legend and he bombed spectacularly as he was a tactical novice. And, judging by his relatively short spell as Newcastle manager, Shearer was incapable of either forming a rudimentary tactical plan OR delivering the kind of chest-beating 'be-big' motivational speeches that look good on TV.

Shearer would be an absolute disaster.

Thepinhead

I'd love to see Klinsmann for a counterattacking style

Or

Michael Laudrup for a more dominant and ball possesion type of play

Nogbadthebad

See this is part of the problem: we see the failings of the previous manager and we lurch so far away from that that we end up stuck with a different kind of crap. The last one was all tactics and no motivation - let's hire someone who's all motivation and no tactics! The last one was all foreign and dour - let's get one who's really, really chipper and English!

Hiring a legend just doesn't go nearly deep enough. Keegan was a former-England legend and he bombed spectacularly as he was a tactical novice. And, judging by his relatively short spell as Newcastle manager, Shearer was incapable of either forming a rudimentary tactical plan OR delivering the kind of chest-beating 'be-big' motivational speeches that look good on TV.

I would agree if this were in the context of looking at shearer instead of a manager like bilic or even allerdyce.

But we are not. There won't be a manger like that, bilic wont leave west ham for that, and the FA would never ask him in the first place, it will be southgate. I think someone from outside the FA setup, such as shearer, would be better than that. Not the solution we need, probably fail anyway, but southgate is simply certain failure, making it an improvement.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Legit wouldn't mind Southgate with Hoddle as assistant.

There's no real outstanding candidates to be honest, so I'd go for that.

Southgate - young enough to hopefully identify with the players a bit more, hopefully can bring fresh ideas more relevant to the modern game, has done well with the U-21's and been in and around the set-up so should hopefully know enough about these players and the inner workings of the national team to build a proper idea of how we want to play, with help from a good coach and tactician in Hoddle who'll be able to provide a helping hand as a former England manager and hopefully bring a bit of the leadership qualities that Southgate might initially lack.

Eckers99

I would agree if this were in the context of looking at shearer instead of a manager like bilic or even allerdyce.

But we are not. There won't be a manger like that, bilic wont leave west ham for that, and the FA would never ask him in the first place, it will be southgate. I think someone from outside the FA setup, such as shearer, would be better than that. Not the solution we need, probably fail anyway, but southgate is simply certain failure, making it an improvement.
I don't see why the net has to be so small. Pellegrini would be better than Shearer and he's got Premier League experience and European experience AND has won actual trophies. Laurent Blanc would be better. Bielsa would be better. Even the likes of Mark Hughes would be better. Shearer shouldn't even be part of a serious conversation - he wouldn't even succeed with a modest Premier League side, let alone an international one.

stepic

the issue isn't motivation. the issue is completely inept tactics, fitting in big names to the detriment of the team, the usual. we need someone who has a specific system that gets the best out of the players, not just dumping as many big names into the starting 11.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The list of candidates on ITV last night was thoroughly depressing. There's a huge issue in that only English/British coaches will understand the mentality of the players but none of them are tactically adept enough to cut it at international level, also none of them will have dealt with players at this level.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Eddie Howe is the standout English coach right now but it is far too soon for him.

Nogbadthebad

I don't see why the net has to be so small. Pellegrini would be better than Shearer and he's got Premier League experience and European experience AND has won actual trophies. Laurent Blanc would be better. Bielsa would be better. Even the likes of Mark Hughes would be better. Shearer shouldn't even be part of a serious conversation - he wouldn't even succeed with a modest Premier League side, let alone an international one.

The FA will never, never consider names like that. That is exactly what I mean, there is no point talking about actual good managers, the FA will choose from either southgate or some ex player who puts themselves forward.

I think that allerdyce would be the most adventurous they could possibly get, and even then the fact he would tell people to sod off if they interfered already rules him out.

Guy Incognito

Dixon called it last night, England don't have a coherent plan. We know how the Germans, Spanish, French will set up to play.....England, it's about following trends. They saw Clairefontaine, so they copied it. Then they thought Spanish possession football was the way forward. Now it's all about Germany.

Southgate would be a dreadful, yes-man, safe-safe appointment. If Howe has any sense he would stay away, the press like to build careers before knocking them down.

I'd take Big Sam or heck, even Wenger/LVG. But none of them would take the job because the FA don't like managers who have total control. And that's the problem...........you need someone who can shake up the infrastructure just as much as having a 'winning' team.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
For those of you who are English, must the FA appoint an Englishman or would you have no issue with a foreigner?

starman

If England go Foreign - Billic, he does seem to know what he is talking about, speaks English very well, plus it would put West Ham in a bit of a shit, which would be good to see.

Otherwise Big Sam..

I was bemused about Shearer taking it. What experience was he talking about? Playing for England? Why not give it to Rooney or Beckham...
He also talking about he can do no worse than the previous, which is not a attribute.

Crustanoid

I partially see your point but Shearer does actually come across as very knowledgeable in terms of tactics, plus he would be taken more seriously than the incredibly dour Hodgson. Both Neville and Shearer were chucked into pretty much the most toxic managerial situations possible on their first ever experience. As for Keegan I think the signs were there regarding his temperament in the 1996 rant.

My point on Shearer (and I don't even know if he wants to manage) is that the England role is not a club role and as such, is comparatively different. I think motivation is far more important in this role as its a subsidiary and infrequent role for the players involved. I don't into the 'honour to play for your country' argument, at least in terms of it outweighing performing well in club football nowadays in order to increase massive salary chances. However being picked for your country and then having instructions from a legend should and could motivate today's England player. What it comes down to then is having the belief, balls and knowhow to make the right decisions in management, team selection, tactics and substitutions - something the likes of Shearer and Neville have shown they appreciate as pundits, but more importantly in the football environment as players.

berbasloth4

Who in their right mind would want it?

It is probably the worst job in football. Unrealistic expectations and it destroys managerial careers.

Give Harry Redknapp ago, he wants it and according to alot of players who have played under him he gets the best out of them.. also he will try seeing if niko kranjcar has an english grandparent.

facund

Big Sam all the way.

I'd rather give the job to Ian Wright than Southgate or Shearer.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Pellegrini wouldn't be a bad shout if they're considering foreigners. He's available, speaks good English, knows the league and plays good football.

Hammerfell

I get the feeling Harry Redknapp might be a little bitter about being overlooked in the past.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Pellegrini wouldn't be a bad shout if they're considering foreigners. He's available, speaks good English, knows the league and plays good football.
Pellegrini or Roberto Martinez would be my choice. Both would know the player pool very well and can coach fluid attacking football.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Hiddink would be a good shout, but we all know its going to be Southgate, and this series of muppetry will continue onwards for another 4 years minimum.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The only person that can get England out of this mess is coach Carter. Man knows how to give a speech

Well him or Venables, who was my favorite England coach

clarkydaz

listening to Hodgson's press conference now. He opens with the statement he isn't England manager anymore and doesn't think he needs to be there, as his statement said it all. Nice one!

:lol:

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Hodgson is such a coward. Virtually saying it isnt his problem anymore as he resigned yesterday. How about giving us some answers as you were paid £3 million a year for four years.

Distracted Steward

Big Sam wouldn't being out the best in the or attack, but it would be a proper team. The team would have identity and a clear plan. At this point, that'd be a huge improvement.

I think he'd go if seriously pursued. He has always seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder for how he's been treated/regarded. Maybe it'd be in his mind his chance to prove how good he really is.

I'd give it to Bielsa - experienced NT coach whose sides play attacking football. He's available too.
This would probably be the best possible appointment. A bit of a reach, maybe, but he'd bring attacking competence into the team and cohesive play.

So difficult to choose mainly because the candidates all have obvious flaws ..
Southgate ....duller than Roy ( harsh but true )
Gary Neville , love the guy but recent months have burnt his bridges
Eddie Howe ( very in experienced , possibly a year too soon )
Pardew , only just kept Palace up , think the job would be too big for him .
Big Sam , never thought I would say it , but not a bad shout , the team would be organised , prepared , hard too beat , defensively sound , and up for the fight , may be frownded on by the establishment and the purists , but would definitely bring a passion that has been missing for many years
I am not sure the England job has huge draw. I suspect there will be a fair few rejections from top targets. I don't see the eventual pick being all that perfect.

There isn't an English manager good enough, and skill set is much more important than nationality.

Slavan Bilic please.
Bilic please if we go foreign.

If we go English, Alladyce or Redknapp I guess.
If the FA could prise him away from his ascendent West Ham, I'd be seriously impressed.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
You pick one of Pardew or Southgate and you will go out in the group stages of the WC two years from now.