Who will be our next stopgap striker?

Sparky Rhiwabon

With varying levels of success with the likes of Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Ighalo and now Cavani, this seems to be an established strategy for us now. So, who do you think will be our next “stop gap” striker?

Maybe Ronaldo this summer or next? (Edit - yes he became our next stopgap and then Wout Weghorst)

Or looking slightly further ahead, what about Lewandowski as he approaches his contract expiry in 2023?
Any other names?

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Cristiano! :devil:

Training with him would be invaluable for Rashford, Greenwood, Amad and the rest of the youth!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We're not going to be paying Ronaldo wages on a stopgap. I think Cavani will be the last for a while unless we struggle to make centre forward signings or Greenwood/Rashford can't cut it there.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Lewandowski, Ronaldo or Benzema
Honestly these stop gap striking strategy is only because of the lack of top strikers right now

Sparky Rhiwabon

Honestly these stop gap striking strategy is only because of the lack of top strikers right now
I think the lack of top strikers is going to be an ongoing thing, due to the halving of starting strikers in most teams plus the evolution of the striker role.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Bale on loan after he finds out Spurs don’t want him too

Sparky Rhiwabon

agree. How many decent strikers are there around under 30 not called Harland, Kane or Mbappe?
Yeah, it’s true - that’s why so many older strikers are still amongst the best in the world, not to mention United reject Lukaku genuinely seen as one of the world's top strikers right now.

FatTails

Haaland is staying put this summer, and next summer he will (probably) go to Bayern, or Madrid if they find the money somewhere.

We’ll sign either Benzema or Lewandowski, depending on where Haaland goes.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We’re obviously on the lookout for s longer term solution soon so probably nobody who is currently older.

croadyman

Any of them would be amazing from Mason to learn from IF they become available and we decide to go away from Haaland

ReallyUSA

Cavani then we have to give the reigns to Greenwood. Go for it, the kid performed well out wide. I don't want a Martial situation where we are talking about what if years from now.

Zlatattack

Ivan Toney?
I'd much rather we take a chance on a real striker who has his career ahead of him, rather than continue with the retirement home policy. Cavani worked out well, but we need to try for a Lukaku type big name striker again. If we wanto gamble, i'd much rather gamble on an up and coming player like Ivan Toney or the Celtic striker.

Erik the Red

We already have a stopgap striker on our books. His name is Antony Martial.

Von Mistelroum

I do feel like we might be looking at someone who's not going to be top of the fans wish lists. Maybe someone like Abraham if we can get them on the cheap (I think he would be a disaster, just saying something like this)

daba

Someone on another thread suggested Mehdi Taremi from Porto. This season hes scored 22 league goals and got 7 assists, along with another 5 goals in the CL. Last year he scored 20 in the league with 12 assists, so he’s far from just a poacher and could suit an ETH system well.

30 years old but going into the last year of his contract and Porto need cash, so would probably be gettable on the cheap, something like £15m / €20m.

Taremi + Hojland for €70-80m would be good business if Kane is off the cards.