Who will be our next stopgap striker?

M Bison

Supports
York City
Someone on another thread suggested Mehdi Taremi from Porto. This season hes scored 22 league goals and got 7 assists, along with another 5 goals in the CL. Last year he scored 20 in the league with 12 assists, so he’s far from just a poacher and could suit an ETH system well.

30 years old but going into the last year of his contract and Porto need cash, so would probably be gettable on the cheap, something like £15m / €20m.

Taremi + Hojland for €70-80m would be good business if Kane is off the cards.
don’t know him but they’re very good stats!

daba

don’t know him but they’re very good stats!
Im no expert on him, only know him as Iran’s talisman and through playing games like Football Manager etc. But he seems like a bit of a “late bloomer”type and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw his stats. Watching his highlights he seems to have a bit of everything: link up play, first time finishes, finishes with both feet, strength, not slow (but also not rapid), good positioning, etc.

Any Liga Nos supporters have a take?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Maybe we can talk Zlatan out of retirement... :nono: Martial has been a stop-gap for as long as I can remember

TrustInOle

Aged like wine.

Aged like milk.
Unfortunately so, I can't hide the hype I had when he returned though, but has left a real sour aftertaste!

Delighted with how ETH dealt with the while situation and the season as a whole. Least having this hype seems to be going places.

Red00012

Welbeck “knows the club inside out” or something like that

KD6-3.7

I feel like we've been in a perpetual state of having stop gap strikers for like a decade. Seriously the last time we had a genuine world class striker was Van Persie in 12/13.

Next season whoever we get I doubt it will make much difference if it's not someone like Kane or Osimhen.

aeh1991

Wrote it in other threads but I think Rodrigo of Leeds would be the perfect stopgap striker. Apparently has a 3m relegation clause, knows where the goal is and is EPL-proven. Scored 13 league goals with a struggling team last season. Surely a huge upgrade on Weghorst.

GazTheLegend

Wrote it in other threads but I think Rodrigo of Leeds would be the perfect stopgap striker. Apparently has a 3m relegation clause, knows where the goal is and is EPL-proven. Scored 13 league goals with a struggling team last season. Surely a huge upgrade on Weghorst.
Upgrade on Weghorst? He'd be an upgrade on Martial, Weghorst and Elanga. But it's a great shout and a very Glazers-embossed January sort of signing. It SHOULDN'T happen, but then to be honest Weghorst and Ighalo should never have been necessary for a club our size.

flappyjay

There are cheap options out there not for a just a stop gap striker but a potential back up. Rodrigo, Dembele on a free would be great. Watch us not makes those deals happen and have some people in this forum try to convince us we couldn't have done better. Just see how much the weghorst loan is defended even when people bring out a list of better strikers that went on cheap loans.

croadyman

There are cheap options out there not for a just a stop gap striker but a potential back up. Rodrigo, Dembele on a free would be great. Watch us not makes those deals happen and have some people in this forum try to convince us we couldn't have done better. Just see how much the weghorst loan is defended even when people bring out a list of better strikers that went on cheap loans.
Never realised Rodrigo was so cheap

tomaldinho1

Might as well bring back Welbeck if the requirement is to be better than Weggy. The bar isn't high.

Stadjer

3m? Even if he flops and doesnt play a game he could be sold for more than that. I imagine Barcelona would be all over that

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They should just join forces into one super bid. In fact, they should also merge bodies to become one super human while they're at it.

Sir Sheikh Jasjim ... Ruler of all Worlds