Who will be our next stopgap striker?

Trim90

I refuse to believe the idea that we can only buy Kane or Osimhen. Just looking at the top leagues, there are 5 top leagues. Every league has roughly 18 teams. Every team has roughly 2 strikers. That means that there should be around 180 strikers only in the top leagues. Is everybody really believing that off ALL those players only Kane or Osimhen would suffice? Why can't we mold a striker? Buy a younger guy and make him an elite striker? Looking for a player that is already elite, is silly because we will 100% overpay and you still have no guarantee of succes because even Kane could flop here.

Our recruiting is hands down one of the worst in the world of football. There are so many players playing on the highest level but we can't seem to find just one decent one which is, being honest, absolutely bullshit.

For me personally, I don't want Kane or Osimhen. I would rather try Thuram ( free ) and Hojlund. Hell, go and look in the Belgian competition or some lesser comp and just buy someone with potential.

Sparky Rhiwabon

No thanks. Well past his best. Two years ago work have been a great stop-gap, but not now.
All our stopgap strikers have been way past their best. All world class in their primes (Ok not Ighalo or Weghorst) but on their last legs by the time we snapped them up

big_jeffstar

I refuse to believe the idea that we can only buy Kane or Osimhen. Just looking at the top leagues, there are 5 top leagues. Every league has roughly 18 teams. Every team has roughly 2 strikers. That means that there should be around 180 strikers only in the top leagues. Is everybody really believing that off ALL those players only Kane or Osimhen would suffice? Why can't we mold a striker? Buy a younger guy and make him an elite striker? Looking for a player that is already elite, is silly because we will 100% overpay and you still have no guarantee of succes because even Kane could flop here.

Our recruiting is hands down one of the worst in the world of football. There are so many players playing on the highest level but we can't seem to find just one decent one which is, being honest, absolutely bullshit.

For me personally, I don't want Kane or Osimhen. I would rather try Thuram ( free ) and Hojlund. Hell, go and look in the Belgian competition or some lesser comp and just buy someone with potential.
randomly finding a young striker who guarantees goals is probably the hardest thing to scout in football, there aren’t many out there just kicking their heels at lower tier clubs.. City just went and bought probably the most hyped striker in the world… with all their vast resources and scouting network, they went with the bloke we all would have picked with our eyes closed..

I’m not sold on this Hojlund guy, he looks decent running into space, but he’ll find that hard to come by at United.. if we go into the new season with only him as our new striker, I think we’ll struggle again.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hope it's Ihenacho. Young enough to actually stick around in the squad for a while, can play off the wing, you'd think he'd be fairly cheap with Leicester going down...

Might even piss off City slightly too as a bonus. And we'd get to reopen the thread for him Vs Rashford and slag off one of our players every week!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Yeah. Arsenal only had Jesus and a kid, and they're 30 goals more than us, just PL alone.

TheLord

I hope it won't be Lukaku. He loan spell has ended and Chelsea are reportedly eager to move him on.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Chuba Akpom?

29 goals in 42 games.

And we have agent Carrick there.

zaafi

I still think Taremi would be the best if we're getting Højlund as well. Short term option so Højlund can be eased in, at least more than he would without any other striker in our team.

DevTheRed

Joao Felix on loan for a year? Not your typical number 9 but he’s class!

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I hope it's Ihenacho. Young enough to actually stick around in the squad for a while, can play off the wing, you'd think he'd be fairly cheap with Leicester going down...

Might even piss off City slightly too as a bonus. And we'd get to reopen the thread for him Vs Rashford and slag off one of our players every week!
He actually seems as a quality player on the ball but looking at his numbers he's almost a disaster, scored a grand total of 9 goals in the last 2 PL seasons in over 50 games.

Fullkrug. Quote this post later.
I only saw him play for Germany and he is a goalscorer, nothing special but he's strong and he scores goals, good shoot, good heading, exactly what we need.

Crimson King

Joao Felix on loan for a year? Not your typical number 9 but he’s class!
Our problem is we don't have a typical number 9. Bringing in Felix leaves us with the same problems we have playing Rashford or Martial up top. Other than the fact he's fitter more often than Martial.

Just doesn't seem worth it.

DevTheRed

Did you watch Chelsea? He is overrated
When he wanted to be he was the best player on the pitch.. probably didn’t help being managed by Lumps. I reckon ETH could get a tune out of him, having Bruno here would probably help too.

Our problem is we don't have a typical number 9. Bringing in Felix leaves us with the same problems we have playing Rashford or Martial up top. Other than the fact he's fitter more often than Martial.

Just doesn't seem worth it.
Yeah I agree that we need a more typical number 9, might an option if we get desperate towards the end of the window :nervous:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'd take Vardy over Wout & Martial. Chances are he could still cover more ground on a wheelchair than entire striker department.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd take Vardy over Wout & Martial. Chances are he could still cover more ground on a wheelchair than entire striker department.
This season Vardy seemed finished and his batteries drained. Don't know if there is any going back, but we would be better with Martial, if fit. Vardy at 45 would still be better than Weghorst though.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Someone on another thread suggested Mehdi Taremi from Porto. This season hes scored 22 league goals and got 7 assists, along with another 5 goals in the CL. Last year he scored 20 in the league with 12 assists, so he’s far from just a poacher and could suit an ETH system well.

30 years old but going into the last year of his contract and Porto need cash, so would probably be gettable on the cheap, something like £15m / €20m.

Taremi + Hojland for €70-80m would be good business if Kane is off the cards.
I agree he would be a good squad option. He actually falls deep a lot and works very hard for the team. I actually think his off-ball movement and clever passing are actually his best weapons, and he can be deployed as winger or attacking midfielder if needed, he has the stamina and workrate to do it. Has an excellent ball control and he his quite a strong fella for those who complain that he may not handle the EPL "physicality" cliche topic of discussion.

Just don't expect him to be a 50M€+ player

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This season Vardy seemed finished and his batteries drained. Don't know if there is any going back, but we would be better with Martial, if fit. Vardy at 45 would still be better than Weghorst though.
Vardy on a wheelchair would probably take most situations Martial and Weghorst had this season, and to be fair to our wingers and midfielders, they created quite a decent number.

As our goal difference is shocking from two good years, anyone who can put the ball inside the net, gets my vote.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Lacazette! Finished 2nd in the Ligue 1 scoring charts behind Mbappe.

Gator Nate

WE CAN'T BE DROPPING OUR STANDARDS!!!! :houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

Seriously, though, you're spot on. Frankly, we probably can't get the perfect striker, but we can get a striker or two that EtH can mold into his perfect striker. And for a lot less money, too.