Who will go down as a bigger PL legend: Gerrard or De Bruyne?

Who is a bigger PL Legend?

• Gerrard

Votes: 128 25.9%
  • KDB

Votes: 367 74.1%

• Total voters

Two questions here.

Who is the bigger legend? Gerrard. Liverpool bias, English bias, and the romantic Roy of the Rovers style of play make sure of that.

Who is the better legend? KDB is by far the better player. Not even close. But nobody cares because he plays for City.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How is this even a debate? :lol: Next up on 'who was a bigger PL legend?' World class, multiple PL winning Wayne Rooney or one-club man Matt Le Tissier.
Not really the same considering Gerrard was one of first people to be put in the PL hall of fame.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
KDB, no question.

Gerrard is still a bigger cnut face all day everyday mind.

Zen86

Do you consider Matt Le Tissier a PL legend?

(I almost asked the same thing about Shearer but then I remembered Blackburn)
Shearer has only won it once though. If titles are the be all and end all of who is deemed a legend or not, he's pretty far down the list.

Witchking

While my hate for Gerrard is on a different level, KDB has 10 other very gifted and talented players who help him run the show, and are in sync with his game. Gerrard had to make do with some dross.

It shows on the national level where KDB without 10 other world class players is. He hasn't been able to drag Belgium anywhere.

If I remember, he himself said he gets frustrated playing for Belgium.

Talent wise, KDB. Impact to the team, frustratingly might tip over to Gerrard.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The hall of fame isn't something I give much credence to if I'm honest. Does anyone really take that shit seriously? It just makes me think of WWE.
Well, in the discussions of a 'legend' it is one area which you can use it as evidence for people thinking Gerrard is. As is the evidence of former players and pundits putting him in all time PL teams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61909781

This XI had both KDB and Gerrard.

Joe cole went for KDB whereas Rio opted for Gerrard in his all time 11.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
To the question of the thread, the answer is Gerrard, but that's only because the narrative is driven by pundits and people involved with the game that have a massive bias towards Gerrard (being English, having so many Liverpool ex players in the media...)

The better player and the guy who should probably be remembered more is the guy who's actually won it (several times) and who is an altogether better player than Gerrard.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Gerrard doesn't have a PL though?
Why would winning a cup that has nothing to do with the PL make him a bigger “PL legend”?
Come on now, it's disingenous to pretend it doesn't matter. The CL is the biggest trophy at club level
You don’t think a player helping his PL team win the CL contributes to PL legend status? :lol:
Exactly

For what's worth, in a player comparison i'm not sure there's much between them. The few seasons Gerrard had a great side around him he was pretty much as good as De Bruyne, and he has better CL campaigns too. De Bruyne is the more talented attacking player, but my impression is Gerrard was the more consistent big game performer. For all of Gerrard's roy of the rovers reputation (a bad thing in this context) the truth is he only tried that stuff when his team needed him to. He wasn't doing it in the Torres seasons, or 13/14(second half of the chelsea game notwithstanding, which is excusable given the circumstances)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Come on now, it's disingenous to pretend it doesn't matter. The CL is the biggest trophy at club level

Exactly

For what's worth, in a player comparison i'm not sure there's much between them. The few seasons Gerrard had a great side around him he was pretty much as good as De Bruyne, and he has better CL campaigns too. De Bruyne is the more talented attacking player, but my impression is Gerrard was the more consistent big game performer. For all of Gerrard's roy of the rovers reputation (a bad thing in this context) the truth is he only tried that stuff when his team needed him to. He wasn't doing it in the Torres seasons, or 13/14(second half of the chelsea game notwithstanding, which is excusable given the circumstances)
I didn't say it doesn't matter but I think it's weird to say KDB doesn't have a CL and Gerrard does when Gerrard doesn't have a PL and KDB has 4. It's not that black and white of course.

leon24

Stevie G is definitely by far the best PL player not to have won the league.

What a legend.

padr81

Supports
Man City
As this is picking up traction in the KDB thread, I thought it would be better to ask in a separate thread.

Who will be the bigger PL legend and perhaps another question to ask is who should?

Who is the better player? Who would you rather have in your team?

I think Gerrard will but KDB should.
I agree Gerrard will have the benefit of having played for Liverpool who are a vastly bigger club. KDB is the better footballer but not playing for one of the reds will cost him in the debates.

Darkhorsez

Two questions here.

Who is the bigger legend? Gerrard. Liverpool bias, English bias, and the romantic Roy of the Rovers style of play make sure of that.

Who is the better legend? KDB is by far the better player. Not even close. But nobody cares because he plays for City.
:lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Do you consider Matt Le Tissier a PL legend?

(I almost asked the same thing about Shearer but then I remembered Blackburn)
I consider him a legendary cnut if I'm honest.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't say it doesn't matter but I think it's weird to say KDB doesn't have a CL and Gerrard does when Gerrard doesn't have a PL and KDB has 4. It's not that black and white of course.
KdB won 4 PL titles playing for the best side in the league. Hell he missed most of 18/19, going up against a truly great Liverpool side, and City didn't miss a beat

Gerrard never played with the strongest team in the PL

Just in general, given the context, KdB never having won the CL weight more than Gerrard not winning the PL for me

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Gerrard was an electrifying presence in the midfield of the scum. Good tackler, amazing passer, long shots and seemed to lift them without fail. People who are just saying kdb have never seen Gerrard play. Yes he never won the league and should have, like Totti, won at least once. Ironically it was he who botched that possibility.

Telsim

De Bruyne is the better player. And he actually won it. Multiple times. Winning the CL this season will just seal it.

De Bruyne by far. I'd rather have him on my team than Gerrard.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just in general, given the context, KdB never having won the CL weight more than Gerrard not winning the PL for me
For being a Premier League legend? Okay then.

Orange Tree

KdB is the better player, but...

Gerrard, England and Liverpool's captain.
KdB, plays for a cheating club.

mu4c_20le

If you rate the CL higher then fair enough, but its more flukey to win a cup competition than being the heartbeat of a title challenge.

Kaos

Lampard, Viera, Scholes, Keane and De Bryune all go ahead of Gerrard for me. For starters you'd had that have won the league a couple of times, so Gerrard fails at the first hurdle.

Theonas

Scout
Two questions here.

This exactly. KvD is easily the better footballer. But Gerrard has the narrative of the guy who lifted his team and took them places they had no right to be. To be fair, it's not a completely false narrative because that Liverpool team in 2005 and 2006 had no right being anywhere near finals or even being on the map. So yeah, there is a bit more romance to Gerrard's story whereas De Bruyne might go down the route of David Silva who was also spoken of very highly and City were predicted to struggle after him but you see the Pep machine just keeps going and reinventing itself. It might happen to him what happened to our class of 1999 where it's remembered more for Fergie than any of the individual players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Bruyne .. assist records, part of a better team, the key player to this team, probably in the all time PL 11 next to Scholes and Keane/Vieira. Gerrard's not on his level.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
KdB won 4 PL titles playing for the best side in the league. Hell he missed most of 18/19, going up against a truly great Liverpool side, and City didn't miss a beat

Gerrard never played with the strongest team in the PL

KDB has been a massive part of when they've won it too. We have also seen Liverpool win the PL and CL post Gerrard and I would argue that Suarez had more of an influential season for Liverpool in the PL than Gerrard ever did (obviously Gerrard wins in terms of CL campaign regards).

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Gerrard slipped literally and lost his best ever chance at the title.

El Jefe

Let's be honest if a 24yo Gerrard had been in this City team, playing under Pep as long as KDB has, he would have the same trophy count. Assists wouldn't be too far off either, people talk about his partnership with Torres but often forget his deadly combination with Owen.

Not necessarily saying he's better or worse than KDB but the legend of Gerrard comes from what he displayed in this league for a decade.

As great as KDB is, he's shared the limelight with about four or five other City players.

Righteous Steps

De Bruyne

Wouldnt say he was a better player though, they had similar limitations and similar strengths.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you rate the CL higher then fair enough, but its more flukey to win a cup competition than being the heartbeat of a title challenge.
It's also much easier to win the CL behind one player having an amazing run then a league. If we're judging players individually, that counts for me
I mean, there's no point having this debate with a Real Madrid fan, but it's much harder to win the PL than the CL.
See above. Of course winning the league is harder, which is why the quality of the team as a whole is much more important in the league, whereas in cup competition invidual quality and performances matter more

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
KDB has been a massive part of when they've won it too. We have also seen Liverpool win the PL and CL post Gerrard and I would argue that Suarez had more of an influential season for Liverpool in the PL than Gerrard ever did (obviously Gerrard wins in terms of CL campaign regards).
Sure. I'm not debating that Gerrard is the bigger PL legend, just that it's close. It stops being close if/when De Bruyne wins the CL

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Gerrard for sure. Liverpool fans will always love him more than KDB for his service to the club.

Every other fan will always love him for ruining everything Liverpool worked for when he did the slip.

KDB will always be known as the better player though and far more successful, especially once he wins the UCL.

Righteous Steps

It’s funny because most of the things posters on here critique Gerrard for applies to De Bruyne as a player, can be loose with the ball, has a propensity to opt for the more creative passes and therefore lose the ball more in attempt to create openings for his side.

It was only a couple seasons ago where De Bruyne was the most dispossessed player in the league, not because he was tackled the most but because he would try crosses passes and dribbles that other players never attempted.

The other players on this list was nominally Fernandes and TAA again partly for the same exact reason as De Bruyne.

Difference is De Bruyne as spent the majority of his actually all his time at City playing in 3 man midfields in systems designed to get the best out of him and playing in sides and under a manager that were up there with the very elite of Europe.

90 + 5min

Gerrard will always be the bigger legend, even if KDB ended up being the better player on the pitch. Not everything is about trophies.
Exactly.

Just one example. Cantona vs Butt? And this is not being disrespectful towards Butt. Who is legend? Who have more trophies?

Kag

I don't think that's true.
They’re right. See below.

Two questions here.

City are nothing, and nobody will be remembered. They could win the treble in six weeks and that sad reality will endure.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A Liverpool legend maybe. Not a prem legend. He’s never won it for starters… he’ll forever be known for slipping up… also an awful manager.