Who will go down as a bigger PL legend: Gerrard or De Bruyne?

Who is a bigger PL Legend?

• Gerrard

Votes: 128 25.9%
  • KDB

Votes: 367 74.1%

• Total voters

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
What a fine trick and troll question from OP. :lol:
"Praise one of these top two midfielders from your rival clubs"
"Pick KDB and add legitimacy to City's PL wins"
"Pick Gerrard and acknowledge you respect him more than Liverpool fans will ever respect Keane."

I'll bite, though.

Easier to control games, win titles, look classy, and have the confidence to keep performing when you're perennially surrounded by top players and a top manager who've been acquired through cooked accounts and are most probably paid a king's ransom off the books. KDB is a great player and an all-time PL great for sure, but he is the equivalent of privilege begetting privilege. Gerrard has carried some spectacularly poor teams to respectable results (made sure Liverpool never 7-0ed to SAF's top teams), almost single handedly dragged Liverpool to that CL, and was the sole talisman and cult-hero for an entire fanbase.

KDB may look like the finer player in a well-oiled team, but Gerrard is the one documentaries will talk about. Poll should go to Gerrard, but can understand why it wouldn't.

Cloud7

KDB has been the best player in the league for many years. In a team that have dominated the league for many years. The only reason no one really thinks about him as a legend is because no one really cares about what City do.

Gerrard is more of an iconic figure, but in terms of the PL as a whole I would have to say KDB.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'd like to think "legend" means do neutrals remember them and / or will they still be talking about them in ten years time?

As such I'm not sure KdB will have command close to the amount of discussion that Gerrard does - the very guy we're still talking about today so by virtue of that you'd have to say he's still regarded highly.

KdB for me a bit like a mix between Hazard and D. Silva in terms of stature. A fantastic player but I expect he'll fall between the wayside of discussion because as ruthlessly brilliant as he is, he's actually not a very exciting player (to me anyway).

Being English of course helps Gerrard's case but it's not a deal breaker. Cantona, Drogba, Henry, Fabregas, Bergkamp, Vieira, Van Persie, Kante, Kompany, Zola, Luis Suarez. These are all players I think people remember, or will remember, above KdB.

So yeah a bit of no and yes. A legendary player for sure - a generational talent - but not one who ranks above Gerrard's in terms of what he brought to the league. What he brought to City is another story.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I'd like to think "legend" means do neutrals remember them and / or will they still be talking about them in ten years time?

As such I'm not sure KdB will have command close to the amount of discussion that Gerrard does - the very guy we're still talking about today so by virtue of that you'd have to say he's still regarded highly.

KdB for me a bit like a mix between Hazard and D. Silva in terms of stature. A fantastic player but I expect he'll fall between the wayside of discussion because as ruthlessly brilliant as he is, he's actually not a very exciting player (to me anyway).

Being English of course helps Gerrard's case but it's not a deal breaker. Cantona, Drogba, Henry, Fabregas, Bergkamp, Vieira, Van Persie, Kante, Kompany, Zola, Luis Suarez. These are all players I think people remember, or will remember, above KdB.

So yeah a bit of no and yes. A legendary player for sure - a generational talent - but not one who ranks above Gerrard's in terms of what he brought to the league. What he brought to City is another story.
What did Gerrard bring to the Premier League? Genuine question. Most people wont associate any of his performances with the Premier League. You think Champions League. He isn’t a Premier League legend. You are right the fact he is English is helping him, it might be the ONLY thing he has going for him.

Great Great player + English = PL legend?

no chance.

Liverpool legend and some real great/memorable CL performances is all 95% of fans will remember.

Righteous Steps

No it isn't, KDB is a legit playmaker and string puller. He's not the best I've seen but he's way better than Gerrard
How do you define a legit playmaker and string puller, I’m very interested to hear your argument.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What did Gerrard bring to the Premier League? Genuine question. Most people wont associate any of his performances with the Premier League. You think Champions League. He isn’t a Premier League legend. You are right the fact he is English is helping him, it might be the ONLY thing he has going for him.

Great Great player + English = PL legend?

no chance.

Liverpool legend and some real great/memorable CL performances is all 95% of fans will remember.
I get what you're saying but for me he was a figurehead for one of the most popular and historically best teams in the league. This is why I'd say it's less about his performances and simply more about his stature as Liverpool's talisman.

It's the same with the likes of Zola who won zilch at Chelsea but is fondly regarded for just being a top presence for his team during a meh period for the club (not that historically Chelsea are any good).

Truth be told, I find it hard comparing football now to football in the 90/00's. The game - and especially City's style - is heavily based around team performance and less about individuals so what defines a "legend" may well have changed.

Righteous Steps

There is a disparity between them technically. That's why DeBruyne has twice been deemed the world's best playmaker by IFFHS (alongside names like Zidane, Modric, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta) and Gerrard hasn't. Gerrard is good technically but his main strength is running around a lot and scoring the occasional screamer from distance.
Gerrard was named in the Team of the decade and has just as many European accolades as De Bruyne, including 3rd in B’allon dor, Uefa club footballer of the year, Uefa Team of the year 3 times..

If you think De Bruyne is a playmaker in the guise of Zidane Xavi Iniesta and Modric then let’s just stop here because your understanding of football differs vastly from mine, De Bruyne is a final third playmaker which is why he averages 40-50 passes per game.

A playmaker is defined by consistency and the amount of passes and also their passing in the final third, De Bruyne has previous for having seasons where he has 75% passing accuracy being the most dispossessed player in the league and also averaging 40-50 passes which is ok but not at the level of the likes of Rodri.

He is a final third playmaker just like Gerrard was playing with Torres, that is all. De Bruyne without his running power and underrated athleticism isn’t the same player himself.

Righteous Steps

Kante is nowhere near Scholes level wtf.

To answer - Gerrard is the bigger legend, and more iconic player.

De Bruyne is miles ahead the better player though.
Kante is a World Cup, Champions League winner and catalyst for the most surprising league winners in PL history, then going on to win the league again with Chelsea.

I don’t think there is a midfielder in PL history who he is ‘Nowhere near’ it baffles me why so many people like to go extreme in hyperbole, I would take Scholes over him due to my preference for his style of play but for one they are different players and based on their impact on the pitch you can’t say Scholes is by far the better midi fielder unless you’re just isolating technique which is only one part of being a footballer.

There have been many footballers technically better than Roy Keane even in this league also, yet only a handful who can claim to be as good, same applies with Kante.

Righteous Steps

I get what you're saying but for me he was a figurehead for one of the most popular and historically best teams in the league. This is why I'd say it's less about his performances and simply more about his stature as Liverpool's talisman.

It's the same with the likes of Zola who won zilch at Chelsea but is fondly regarded for just being a top presence for his team during a meh period for the club (not that historically Chelsea are any good).

Truth be told, I find it hard comparing football now to football in the 90/00's. The game - and especially City's style - is heavily based around team performance and less about individuals so what defines a "legend" may well have changed.
Yep many a Chelsea fan would still have Zola as their best ever player of Pl history and his impact and performance in the league was far less than Gerrard, less than Terry Lampard and even Hazard too.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Gerrard was named in the Team of the decade and has just as many European accolades as De Bruyne, including 3rd in B’allon dor, Uefa club footballer of the year, Uefa Team of the year 3 times..

If you think De Bruyne is a playmaker in the guise of Zidane Xavi Iniesta and Modric then let’s just stop here because your understanding of football differs vastly from mine, De Bruyne is a final third playmaker which is why he averages 40-50 passes per game.

A playmaker is defined by consistency and the amount of passes and also their passing in the final third, De Bruyne has previous for having seasons where he has 75% passing accuracy being the most dispossessed player in the league and also averaging 40-50 passes which is ok but not at the level of the likes of Rodri.

He is a final third playmaker just like Gerrard was playing with Torres, that is all. De Bruyne without his running power and underrated athleticism isn’t the same player himself.
It would be nice for you if I said that wouldn't it? The problem is that I didn't. I said he was named the world's best playmaker. Twice. That's a fact (not sure how Gerrard's accolades are relevant to the point I was making BTW, have I said that he was never recognised for anything?) Then I named some other people who have also been given that accolade. Nowhere did I say those players were the same as KDB, in fact the players I listed are all different from each other, Messi is not like Modric, who is not like Zidane, who is totally different from Xavi. Gerrard does not have the technical ability of those players, he just doesn't. Which is not the same as saying his technique is poor, but there's levels to this.

Righteous Steps

It would be nice for you if I said that wouldn't it? The problem is that I didn't. I said he was named the world's best playmaker. Twice. That's a fact (not sure how Gerrard's accolades are relevant to the point I was making BTW, have I said that he was never recognised for anything?) Then I named some other people who have also been given that accolade. Nowhere did I say those players were the same as KDB, in fact the players I listed are all different from each other, Messi is not like Modric, who is not like Zidane, who is totally different from Xavi. Gerrard does not have the technical ability of those players, he just doesn't. Which is not the same as saying his technique is poor, but there's levels to this.
He doesn’t and neither does De Bruyne. So you bringing De Bruyne winning playmaker of the year doesn’t really matter, would he win it when Xavi was in his pomp, I doubt it.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He doesn’t and neither does De Bruyne. So you bringing De Bruyne winning playmaker of the year doesn’t really matter, would he win it when Xavi was in his pomp, I doubt it.
DeBruyne has more technical ability than Gerrard. That's the fact that you are refusing to acknowledge.

surf

Gerrard can definitely get in an all-time premier league team at right wing back or attacking full back. His iconic presence can lift a team but he didn't always fit well in centre midfield with other top players. Hence the unsolved conundrums of what was his best position and how do you fit him and Lampard into the same side. It would have been interesting to see what happened to him at Chelsea but it was not to be. Rafa preferred to play him on the right rather than centre mid.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Gerrard played for Liverpool. Liverpool is much more important to English football than City will ever be.

Libero_of_Yore

Gerrard can definitely get in an all-time premier league team at right wing back or attacking full back. His iconic presence can lift a team but he didn't always fit well in centre midfield with other top players. Hence the unsolved conundrums of what was his best position and how do you fit him and Lampard into the same side. It would have been interesting to see what happened to him at Chelsea but it was not to be. Rafa preferred to play him on the right rather than centre mid.
Gerrard never had a single world class season as a centre midfielder.
Kevin is clear.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
DeBruyne has more technical ability than Gerrard. That's the fact that you are refusing to acknowledge.
But that doesn't mean he is a bigger legend or more iconic.

Gerrard is more iconic, when i think about Liverpool i think about him...when i think about City i thinking about Pep Guardiola, not KDB.

Zetrio2002

Gerrard has a bigger influence, both positively and negatively. Not only does he costs Liverpool several times with his errors, he also costs England many losses. But there's no doubt more people know him. And he also had more iconic victories like the Milan penalty he earned and the fa cup long shot.

KDB has stronger technical ability. But wow even Gundogan scored more crucial goals though he had the assists. I personally think KDB improves others around him more because his link up play is good as opposed to Gerrard who always takes long shots when he is frustrated.

If I were to choose a player for real match, I would put KDB.

If I were to choose an ambassador for football, I would get Gerrard.

Bearded One

The fact that Liverpool is a bigger English club compared to City plays to the advantage of Stevie G. Clearly KDB is the better footballer but from a perspective of heroism I think Gerard will carry the day.

Pickle85

KdB is a much better player but that's not what the question is. I went Gerrard because the fact he's British in a British league will (wrongly imo) mean that his contribution will be remembered more fondly (particularly by the media). He's also 'Mr Liverpool' and his heart on the sleeve 'leadership' style will likely be better remembered than KdB's understated brilliance. Coupled with the fact that Liverpool are a better supported, bigger club than City, all these facts mean he'll probably be remembered as more of a legend than KdB. As I said, though, KdB is a much better player.

Steve 007

I think if KBD played for Barca or Real, we’d say he’s the best midfielder in the world. He’s incredibly underrated. At one point I believed Bruno was just as good. Unfortunately I was wrong and Bruno didn’t keep up what he showed in his first year. Make no mistake though, KBD despite playing for City is world class. Hands down the best PL midfielder by far.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
As this is picking up traction in the KDB thread, I thought it would be better to ask in a separate thread.

Who will be the bigger PL legend and perhaps another question to ask is who should?

Who is the better player? Who would you rather have in your team?

I think Gerrard will but KDB should.
I said this a few times but KDB is the play people misremember Gerrard was.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
But that doesn't mean he is a bigger legend or more iconic.

Gerrard is more iconic, when i think about Liverpool i think about him...when i think about City i thinking about Pep Guardiola, not KDB.
KDB is a better player. More 'iconic', 'bigger PL legend', all this nonsense is often predicated on factors other than how good the player actually was or is.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Hard question.

KDB couldn't do what Gerrard did at Liverpool, he obviously benefits from the system and players around him. I doubt he could drag his teammates to a CL and FA Cup in the manner Gerrard did. Gerrard was also better on the ball than people are giving him credit for

Equally, Gerrard didn't have the tactical and technical nous to play the role of a CM as well as KDB does. It's why his best season was just to the right of Torres. KDB has a brilliant awareness of what's going on around him that Gerrard never had.

Both have a brilliant will-to-win attitude and make the most of their physical attributes - they'd have probably been fantastic together in a modern midfield, with Rodri sat behind them.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Hard question.

KDB couldn't do what Gerrard did at Liverpool, he obviously benefits from the system and players around him. I doubt he could drag his teammates to a CL and FA Cup in the manner Gerrard did. Gerrard was also better on the ball than people are giving him credit for

Equally, Gerrard didn't have the tactical and technical nous to play the role of a CM as well as KDB does. It's why his best season was just to the right of Torres. KDB has a brilliant awareness of what's going on around him that Gerrard never had.

Both have a brilliant will-to-win attitude and make the most of their physical attributes - they'd have probably been fantastic together in a modern midfield, with Rodri sat behind them.
Not true, as has been stated before, KDB helped Wolfsburg to the German Cup and a second place finish (behind Bayern Munich) in the Bundesliga and was the player of the season and top assister that year. I know it's 'only' the Bundesliga, but I'd argue the degree of difficulty is similar, seeing as Liverpool are a much bigger and richer club and have much better players overall than Wolfsburg.

Vernon Philander

It’s Gerrard.
KdB as fantastic as he is, was surrounded by footballing royalty his whole stint. Imagine him trying to assist Andriy Voronin