Who will win PFA player of the season and why?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd give it to Salah, but have no qualms about De Bruyne winning it.

Team:

De Gea;

Azpilicueta, Maguire, Vertonghen, Alonso;

Matic;

De Bruyne, Eriksen;

Salah, Kane, Sane.
More Spurs players than City?

Spurs 3, Chelsea 2, United 2, City 2... have you seen the league table?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Think Salah will win PFA award and maybe de Bruyne the Writers version.
Difficult to split them but I'd go for Ginger Kev as he excels all over the pitch rather than just being exceptional at his designated role.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How on Earth does this stand to reason?
Champions = best team in the league = best performers = best players.

De Bruyne's performances get a little lost because Liverpool is a bigger team and therefore attracts more attention on its players when they're spearheaded by a guy who is scoring an enormous amount of goals.

However, purely in terms of merit and sheer consistency, De Bruyne still pulls ahead.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think Salah will win PFA award and maybe de Bruyne the Writers version.
Difficult to split them but I'd go for Ginger Kev as he excels all over the pitch rather than just being exceptional at his designated role.
Spot on Jim with an unlucky couple of injuries to Kane who is unlucky not to put himself up there.

lex talionis

KDB. Just a gut feeling that he edges it over Salah but either, and it's only those two, who are in the conversation.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Salah has been incredible but I’d personally give it to De Bruyne. They’ve absolutely trounced the league and De Bruyne has proved himself to be one of the best midfielders in the world.

Canagel

The media hype around KDB is crazy. He's had a great season and moved to another level but so have his team mates around him. I'm not even sure he stands head and shoulders above his teammates let alone the rest of the league interms of individual performance. Is he even Man City's player of the year? Salah has come to a new league a new country (although he's been here before) and is oncourse to break the PL goal scoring record in his debut season. Has got 9 assists too which isn't that far behind KDB. On a side note why does it have to be only attacking players though? What about the defensive players? Why is it so difficult for defensive players to get recognition? Only Kante won this. Fernandinho for eg has been a beast this season. De Gea and Ederson amazing keepers. They should seriously think about scrapping this PFA player of the year award and change it to best goalkeeper, best defender, best midfielder and best attacker. Like this. De Gea has been good enough to win this thing for the last 3 years but isn't in the conversation. I think it would be fairer this way. Remember the days when GK used to win Ballon Do'rs?

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Actually, I have seen the league table and am led to believe that City have done rather spiffingly well; this is just my subjective opinion of the best players I've seen in the relative context of the teams that they play for.

If I were to have a substitutes bench this may assuage a little of your utter shock and incredulity as it would be:

Ederson, Otamendi, Ben Davies, Fernandinho, Sterling, Aguero and Mahrez (apart from when City toyed with his mind).

What would your team be (including 7 subs)?

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Criminal if Matic gets in ahead of David Silva or Fernandinho.
As I've mentioned above, it's just my opinion. I love Silva and he's been fantastic, but I've preferred Eriksen, though he could easily replace Sterling or Mahrez on my bench (see above post).

As I asked padr81, what would your team (and subs be)?

It should be Salah the amount of goals he's scored is insane. I read somewhere that he's now beaten Ronaldo's goal scoring record for most goals in a season in the PL.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It should be Salah the amount of goals he's scored is insane. I read somewhere that he's now beaten Ronaldo's goal scoring record for most goals in a season in the PL.
Not sure what record you're talking about here. Ronaldo scored 31 in the league in 2007/08, 42 in total. Salah has 29 in the league and 38 total. He's on track to beat it but he hasn't beaten Ronaldo yet unless you confine the goals within a time frame. He also doesn't have the 20-team goal scoring record alone. He shares it with Shearer and Suarez.

Then you've got someone like Andy Cole who scored 34 goals in the league when it had more teams and finished with 41 goals total in 46 games.

Not sure what record you're talking about here. Ronaldo scored 31 in the league in 2007/08, 42 in total. Salah has 29 in the league and 38 total. He's on track to beat it but he hasn't beaten Ronaldo yet unless you confine the goals within a time frame. He also doesn't have the 20-team goal scoring record alone. He shares it with Shearer and Suarez.

Then you've got someone like Andy Cole who scored 34 goals in the league when it had more teams and finished with 41 goals total in 46 games.
This is the record I'm talking about, tbh I didn't even know it existed till I saw it on Twitter after pool beat Palace.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/31/moham...d-cristiano-ronaldo-robin-van-persie-7430850/

CM

I prefer de Bruyne as a footballer but I think it's hard to look past what Salah has achieved this season. 29 goals in 32 games is an incredible rate and counts for nearly 40% of Liverpool's league goals.

It's also worth noting just how good the City team de Bruyne plays in is. Sterling, David Silva, Sane and Aguero have all produced moments of brilliance too and while de Bruyne is undoubtedly their best player, he isn't quite as important to that side as Salah is to Liverpool.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Silva should be rewarded - both for his excellent season, and for being incredible and overlooked for many a year now.

Salah will probably win though

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Got to be Salah for me, he has been absolutely phenomenal.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Salah will likely win it as he's hit the headlines when the voting has taken place, which is typically the most important time for winning these awards. De Bruyne running out of gas a little at the same time will probably affect his chances.

Interesting that almost all of the strikers are going for Salah, while the majority of midfielders and defenders are going for De Bruyne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43714595

Probably reflects my own choice for De Bruyne, but there's a ball-hair between them.

Minimalist

Is this award meant to be more (or exclusively) with league performances or is it all performances from a player in an English side?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Top 3 for me is Salah, KDB, and DDG in that order. If any of those 3 win it, I can understand why, but I do think Salah deserves it just that little bit more.

Canagel

Salah will likely win it as he's hit the headlines when the voting has taken place, which is typically the most important time for winning these awards. De Bruyne running out of gas a little at the same time will probably affect his chances.

Interesting that almost all of the strikers are going for Salah, while the majority of midfielders and defenders are going for De Bruyne.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43714595

Probably reflects my own choice for De Bruyne, but there's a ball-hair between them.
It's funny that our only player in these shortlists is De Gea despite us being 2nd in the league. For a club who are 2nd to not have that many stand out performers shows that we have the biggest scope for improvement of any team. If 2 or 3 of our players step up next season we can the title for sure.

Deleted member 101472

100% salah.

David Silva is better than KDB. Still so underrated in the grand scheme of things.

prath92

Rachel Brown-Finnis choosing Nick Pope and Jesse Lingard is a bit funny to say the least

Skills

Snitch
Salahs been amazing and is a worthy contender.

But I don't get why De Bruyne should be punished for basically having the first half of the season that was good enough to blow the title race to pieces by December and the most important player on the team that won a record 18 consecutive league games. Across all competitions (once you weigh in the CL being more prestigious and a higher level) Salahs had the better season, but it's a premier league award.

Eire Red United

Fernandinho in with a shout ahead of Matic, as is Silva possibly ahead of Eriksen, but it’s not like they are glaringly obvious omissions tbh definitely an argument to be made either way

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fwiw I think it will go like this...
PotY
  1. Salah
  2. KDB
  3. Kane
YpotY
  1. Kane
  2. Sane
  3. Sterling

Snafu17

How exactly is Rashford nominated over Lukaku for the YPOTY if Kane is also nominated?

Classical Mechanic

How exactly is Rashford nominated over Lukaku for the YPOTY if Kane is also nominated?
He’s 25 in a few weeks! Kane just makes it by turning 25 a couple of months after the season finishes.

Sane should win young player followed by Sess and then Rashford because they are actually young, unlike the others.

paulscholes18

Player of the year
KDB as City have won the league with Salah 2nd
YPOTY Kane, doesn’t even need to touch the ball to score

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Lukaku is a couple of months too old. If the player is 23 or younger on 1st July they qualify. Slightly odd thing about Rashford being nominated is around the time of the voting Rashford was on the bench for us firmly behind Martial (and then got injured for the Newcastle game).

But suppose there isn't any real alternative except for maybe Davinson Sanchez or Christensen (Christensen has been awful in recent weeks but around the time of voting he'd been decent for most of the season).

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Got to be Salah for me, incredible season for him.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

But that's not how it works...

Don't think there's anything wrong with that team. David Silva and Sterling probably both unlucky to miss out, but they are up against some stellar competition for those places.