Who will win PFA player of the season and why?

Bobski

Why are 24 yo's with years of top flight and international experience being nominated for these awards?(the young player of the year version) Seems to have happened a lot in recent years. Is it a desire to have big names recognized at the award ceremony?

Imagine if Giggs or Rooney had won the young player of the year award 5/6 times, it would have been ridiculous, change the parameters, lower the age limit or make it so that you are only eligible for listing 2 times.

Why are 24 yo's with years of top flight and international experience being nominated for these awards?(the young player of the year version) Seems to have happened a lot in recent years. Is it a desire to have big names recognized at the award ceremony?

Imagine if Giggs or Rooney had won the young player of the year award 5/6 times, it would have been ridiculous, change the parameters, lower the age limit or make it so that you are only eligible for listing 2 times.
They need to do something, Kane being nominated is just ridiculous - and it’s not as if he was a teenage prodigy, but he’s 24 and been Spurs’ no 1 striker for 4 years.

Young Player of the year should be for young talent coming through, not established stars.

In theory Rashford, in 4 years time could have played 250 first team games for Utd and have 40-50 caps, but still eligible for the award. That’s bonkers.

el3mel

For feck ? Kane is still getting nominated for PFA young player of the year ? Give me a break. :lol::lol:

Anyway, my order of the main 6 :

Salah
KDB
DDG
Kane
Silva
Sane

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Player of the year
KDB as City have won the league with Salah 2nd
YPOTY Kane, doesn’t even need to touch the ball to score
Like you said it's City that will win the league and not KDB.
Whilst I admit he has had a great season has has been surrounded by great players. Would he have such high recognition if the balls he was firing in were not being put away by the City strikers?
Call me biased but if it is based on all round play Goals, assists, and all round team contribution I would have liked to have seen Firmino at least get a nomination.

Bobski

They need to do something, Kane being nominated is just ridiculous - and it’s not as if he was a teenage prodigy, but he’s 24 and been Spurs’ no 1 striker for 4 years.

Young Player of the year should be for young talent coming through, not established stars.

In theory Rashford, in 4 years time could have played 250 first team games for Utd and have 40-50 caps, but still eligible for the award. That’s bonkers.
It is one of the few instances where I would be happy to go closer to the US version, their Rookie of the year limits the entries to first year players. Now, you would not want an outstanding young player disallowed because of a cameo appearance in a meaningless end of season game but some form of game limit, or breakthrough categorization to keep it closer to the spirit of the award.

Ederson is 25 in a couple of months as well.

Salah
KDB
DDG
Kane
Silva
Sane
That’s what I would go for too, but I would fully expect Kane to be higher than DDG in the end result.

It is one of the few instances where I would be happy to go closer to the US version, their Rookie of the year limits the entries to first year players. Now, you would not want an outstanding young player disallowed because of a cameo appearance in a meaningless end of season game but some form of game limit, or breakthrough categorization to keep it closer to the spirit of the award.

Ederson is 25 in a couple of months as well.
Rookie/ breakthrough of the year would be far better. However on the flip side, I assume only Sessegnon on the current list would qualify.

I’ve no issue with Rashford, Sane or Sterling being on the list, so maybe it’s lowering the age limit by at least a year probably 2 - as surely that ties in more closely with the U21s. Therefore, at the start of the season you can be no older than 21 - makes more sense.

padr81

Supports
Man City
But that's not how it works...

Don't think there's anything wrong with that team. David Silva and Sterling probably both unlucky to miss out, but they are up against some stellar competition for those places.
Zero wrong with his team tbh but I'm pretty sure thats how it will work. I'd be shocked if their aren't at least 5 city players in TotS, not because I'm a City fan but because thats how it almost always goes.

I think most will vote that way.

We've all seen Danny Simpsons vote and I'm pretty sure thats how most will go (bar Simpson putting Aguero above Kane), he had 7 City players in his team and I'll be surprised if voting doesn't reflect that alot.

In comparison last seasons Chelsea had 4 Chelsea and 4 Spurs.
The season before 4 Leicester and 4 Spurs.
14/15 had 6 Chelsea.

The last time the winners didn't have a high number of players was City in 13/14 who had only 2 but than was a season in which Liverpool ran them to the wire (3) and Chelsea were also impressive (3).

Given the sheer level of dominance I'd be shocked if City have less than 5 tbh.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I'm pretty sure Solksjaer was nominated for it at 25. Can't remember if it was 97/98 or 98/99.
Its kind of silly the likes of Sterling, Kane and Ederson, shouldn't be there.

Traub

So it’s gone to Salah according to a leaked photo. Still unsure given KdB and City’s dominance.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
For feck ? Kane is still getting nominated for PFA young player of the year ? Give me a break. :lol::lol:

Salah
KDB
DDG
Kane
Silva
Sane
Exactly my order as well. Kane/Silva close.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Can't say Salah doesn't deserve the award, but I would have chosen KDB, as I'm not sure what else he could have done over the year to eclipse Salah's contribution.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Can't say Salah doesn't deserve the award, but I would have chosen KDB, as I'm not sure what else he could have done over the year to eclipse Salah's contribution.
There's a ridiculous bias towards goalscorers in all of these awards. Very difficult for anyone else to win.

Canagel

Salah was the outstanding performer in the PL in his 1st season back. This guy was written off, came back and proved everyone wrong. There isn't a debate IMO. KDB had a great season but wouldn't deserve it over D Silva or Fernandinho in that team. They were all as equally as good as each other.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
KDB has been great this year, and as much as I hate Liverpool, I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Salah doesn't deserve it. He's already tied Shearer, CR7 and Suarez's goal record and will probably break it. All in his first season with the club, and much like CR7 (most of the time) he's done it was a winger. This is an individual award, not a team award. Salah deserves it hands down. On a side note, if a City player was to be named for YPOTY then it should go to Sterling. His 18 goals and 8 assists are better than Sane's 9 goals and 12 assists. But both are below Kane's 26 goals and 2 assists. YPOTY should have gone to Kane...

el3mel

Liverpool was simply a one man team in the attack for most of the season. We are talking about a winger who has scored +30 goals in the league and +40 goals in the whole season. He has done records we though only players of the caliber of Suarez and Ronaldo did. Credit for KDB for winning the league and all but Salah was the outstanding player for the whole season in a team who is inferior to City in all possible ways.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Salah and KDB were contenders for PFA players of the season and having a great season with Lukaku doing well in his first season at United...

Meanwhile, Chelsea is lacking a goal scorer and stuck with Giroud.

Ouch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know, he's the exception in recent times. It also took him 2 years of exceptional performances to win it really. He deserved it in the Leicester campaign more than the Chelsea one in my opinion.
Mahrez deserved it more than any Leicester player. Hazard deserved it last year.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Salah was the outstanding performer in the PL in his 1st season back. This guy was written off, came back and proved everyone wrong. There isn't a debate IMO. KDB had a great season but wouldn't deserve it over D Silva or Fernandinho in that team. They were all as equally as good as each other.
KDB is City's player of the season by a good distance.

Again, Salah has been great, but in the context of comparing an attacker vs a midfielder the discussion has been too goal centric.

deafepl

If Pogba can play so simple next season and drop 7/10 in week out and win us the league then he will win PFA IMO. His stats show that he is improving, a lot better than when he was at Juventus and last season despite he was being out of form. Scary to think that he is going to enter into his prime soon, not peaked yet.

deafepl

KDB is City's player of the season by a good distance.

Again, Salah has been great, but in the context of comparing an attacker vs a midfielder the discussion has been too goal centric.

Agreed, it should be for the Golden boot only.

deafepl

Goals win matches.
If I recall, I saw reports back in February, KDB has won City most points than Salah does for Liverpool. KDB also contributes because of his creativity that provides for an attacker to burn chance.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
You can't not give the award to a player that's breaking/smashing the PL all time goal record. That's not being 'goal centric', it's just common sense.

Sterling isnt getting enough recognition for the season he's had, either.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Mourinho can't be happy having 2 former players demonstrating the quality of his judgement so well.

Classical Mechanic

Salah deserves it. He is going to break the PL scoring record and probably win the European Golden Shoe. No dip in form from him throughout the whole season and playing in a side with far less resources than KDB at City.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really can't argue about Salah, he has been absolutely devasating.
31 Premiership goals and still 4 games to go, fantastic season.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool was simply a one man team in the attack for most of the season. We are talking about a winger who has scored +30 goals in the league and +40 goals in the whole season. He has done records we though only players of the caliber of Suarez and Ronaldo did. Credit for KDB for winning the league and all but Salah was the outstanding player for the whole season in a team who is inferior to City in all possible ways.
Apart from the head to heads (4 games 3 wins) ;)

El Zoido

It’s annoying that he plays for Liverpool but he’s been so bloody good. One of the greatest individual seasons of the entire premier league era.

el3mel

Apart from the head to heads (4 games 3 wins) ;)
That's because Klopp style is a counter for Pep's but it doesn't mean Liverpool is a superior team. League position is the clear indicator of who is better.