Who will win PFA player of the season and why?

Josep Dowling

Personally I think it should be Salah. To score the amount of goals he has in his first 'proper' season in the Premier League is unbelievable.

However I am fairly sure De Bruyne will win it. He has had a fantastic season but I think it would be unfair if he won it over Salah. The award is meant to be about an individual's season not their team's success. City's team as a whole is the reason they are top not down to De Bruyne. I think you could argue Liverpool are only in the race for second purely down to Salah's goals.

Isn't this award meant to be individual brilliance rather than the success with their team? I refer back to the treble winning season when David Ginola won the award.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Personally I think it should be Salah. To score the amount of goals he has in his first 'proper' season in the Premier League is unbelievable.

However I am fairly sure De Bruyne will win it. He has had a fantastic season but I think it would be unfair if he won it over Salah. The award is meant to be about an individual's season not their team's success. City's team as a whole is the reason they are top not down to De Bruyne. I think you could argue Liverpool are only in the race for second purely down to Salah's goals.

Isn't this award meant to be individual brilliance rather than the success with their team? I refer back to the treble winning season when David Ginola won the award.
Agree with most of this... Salah for me and hope he gets it, it'd be deserved.

Siorac

I think it's an award of very little significance. Incidentally, do they still collect the votes ridiculously early or have they modernised it?

Salah and KdB are both having outstanding seasons, can't really argue with any of them winning an individual award.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

Individual brilliance or not, he didn't deserve it. There were so many possible choices from United that year it split the vote. That's why Ginola won - no other reason.

As to this year probably somebody from City.

red4ever11

Mohammed Saleh because he has done exactly what Luis Suarez did before him in make Liverpool look better than they are.....He will also follow Suarez to Barca though :-)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think de Bruyne has been the best player in the league but I expect Salah to win the individual accolade.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's between Salah and De Bruyne, but for me KDB wins it.

He's powered City to winning the league at a canter, his consistency has been good all year and he's got goals and assists while being the linchpin between midfield and attack also.

Without him I think this city team would struggle a lot more.

RedDevil@84

I think Salah should win it, but KdB will win it though.
The media is so crazy about City players that they will make sure kdB wins it

Andersons Dietician

Wouldn’t really begrudge either of them winning to be honest. Both very different. It’s not like KDB hasn’t had his own moments of brilliance. Sure people resonate with goals more but some of KDB’s passes, crosses and so on have been incredible. They just don’t get the coverage they probably deserve.

Salah tho, just crazy. Like I said wouldn’t begrudge either. I’d probably throw David Silva in the mix as well. Understated brilliance really. He just makes it look like he is playing in the park.

Canagel

Has got to be Salah. 100% He deserves it. Breaking all sorts of individual records. KDB is part of a great team and wouldn't deserve it over D Silva or Aguero for eg. That's a collective effort but this is an award for the best individual and the best individual is Salah.

Minimalist

Either Salah or De Bruyne (obviously).

Really just depends on how much being a goalscorer matters to the voters. De Bruyne should win it based on his performances and influence.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
when the season is all done and dusted one candidate from each team should be named and the votes counted at that time (this avoids two players from one team cancelling each other out). And the voting should be for the player with the best individual season, not the best player on the team that won the title. For me, if he vote happens today it would go to Salah. But there are still games to be played. The only other possibilities are De Bruyne and Kane (and possibly De Gea). It will most likely go to De Bruyne and there is nothing wrong with that because he's been brilliant. I just think that Salah has been better. it will also be interesting to see who makes the team of the year. Personally, mine would be:

------------------------De Gea--------------------------
Walker---------Otamendi---Vertonghen----------Young
-------------------------Matic-------------------------
-------------Silva---------------De Bruyne------------
Salah------------------Kane-------------------Sane

Most will probably opt for Alonso at LB but I think Young has been brilliant

poleglass red

obviously will be between KDB and Salah, I think I'd give it, just about, to Salah. His goal return this season is insane, to think of the amount of absolute sitters he's missed as well esp earlier in the season, he could have even more goals. KDB has been brilliant this season, and I wouldn't disagree too much if he won it tbh. 2 players that have had exceptional seasons

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Betweem KDB and Salah but i would also put Silva in the mix along with the 2 Burnley centre backs who have both had outstanding seasons.

Camilo

...interesting to see who makes the team of the year. Personally, mine would be:

Young wouldn't get near it for me. He's done a job, but no more imo. Likewise Matic - he's done well for us, but I'm not sure I could say more than that.. Really, it's hard to look past City players for most positions.. Fernandinho has been great this year - really a top player. Likewise (sadly) Ederson, who I think has been massively overlooked in the press this season. His distribution, calmness on the ball and general all round keeping have been top notch.. DDG is still the best stopper in the world, but he needs to work on being more proactive during play. Still, certainly a toss up between them, either or wouldn't surprise me.

Salah has had a great season, but KDB for me has bossed that City team to the title, and the bastard's done it in a low key, likable way!! He should get it for me.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
KDB has literally carried us in games and his passes has penetrated opposition defense so many times.

Salah might have scored so many goals but his shot conversion ratio was poor, especially in the first half.

For me KDB should win it because he has been lethal both in terms of assists as well as scoring goals.

when the season is all done and dusted one candidate from each team should be named and the votes counted at that time (this avoids two players from one team cancelling each other out). And the voting should be for the player with the best individual season, not the best player on the team that won the title. For me, if he vote happens today it would go to Salah. But there are still games to be played. The only other possibilities are De Bruyne and Kane (and possibly De Gea). It will most likely go to De Bruyne and there is nothing wrong with that because he's been brilliant. I just think that Salah has been better. it will also be interesting to see who makes the team of the year. Personally, mine would be:

Matic over Fernandinhio, never ever.
Similarily, Alonso over Young.

DDG is agreeable but then again its debatable as he is a phenomenal shot stopper but maybe not so good at distribution like Ederson.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Salah because as good an all as KDB has been, Salah has been unreal. He's likely to break a long standing premier league goal record quite comfortably from the wing.

Salah has contributed to 38 goals (29 G, 9 A) in 31 games this season. 1.22 goals per game played.
Aguero is next with (21 G, 6 A) albeit in only 24 games. 1.12 goal per game played.
Kanes is 3rd with (24 G, 2 A) in 30 games. 0.86 goals per game played.
Sterling (16 G, 7 A) in 27 games 0.85 goal per game)

KDB has (7 G, 15 A) in 31 games (0.7 goals per game), I would say almost as impressive given his deeper position but I still give the nod.

Also shows Aguero should be a shoe in for the no.9 position in toty ahead of Kane but of course he won't get it.

Padr81's Toty

gk - DeGea
dr - Walker
dc - Otamendi
dc - Tarkowski
dl - Young (lack of any standout opposition, Delph maybe...)
dm - Fernandinho
mc - KDB
mc - Silva
ar - Salah (PotY)
al - Sane (YPotY)

st -Aguero

Hardluck cases -
KdB in not winning PotY,
Sterling in being amazing but playing hte same position as Salah,
Eriksen in being great but not quite Silva or KdB good.
Kane in being lethal but not quite as good as Aguero.
Matic (edged out by Fernandinho)
Vertonghen (narrowly edged out by the 2 cbs)

Last edited:

Zoo

Young wouldn't get near it for me. He's done a job, but no more imo. Likewise Matic - he's done well for us, but I'm not sure I could say more than that.. Really, it's hard to look past City players for most positions.. Fernandinho has been great this year - really a top player. Likewise (sadly) Ederson, who I think has been massively overlooked in the press this season. His distribution, calmness on the ball and general all round keeping have been top notch.. DDG is still the best stopper in the world, but he needs to work on being more proactive during play. Still, certainly a toss up between them, either or wouldn't surprise me.

Salah has had a great season, but KDB for me has bossed that City team to the title, and the bastard's done it in a low key, likable way!! He should get it for me.
So which LB would you choose? I don't think there are any standouts. Young is the only one to keep Salah quiet this season.

Ederson plays in a hugely dominant team yet has had plenty of praise.

Raw

It's gonna be Salah. I'd see De Bruyne getting it if Salah "only" got about 25 goals.

But he's very likely breaking the 31 goal record. Hell if he gets 6 goals in the next 6 he'll break the 42 game record of 34 goals (Cole and Shearer). All in his first season at a new club, and a first season as a starter in the PL.

It'll be close I reckon, which is a testament to how good De Bruyne has been to be closely fighting for POTY with the guy who's scored so much.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Salah because as good an all as KDB has been, Salah has been unreal. He's likely to break a long standing premier league goal record quite comfortably from the wing.

Salah has contributed to 38 goals (29 G, 9 A) in 31 games this season. 1.22 goals per game played.
Aguero is next with (21 G, 6 A) albeit in only 24 games. 1.12 goal per game played.
Kanes is 3rd with (24 G, 2 A) in 30 games. 0.86 goals per game played.
Sterling (16 G, 7 A) in 27 games 0.85 goal per game)

KDB has (7 G, 15 A) in 31 games (0.7 goals per game), I would say almost as impressive given his deeper position but I still give the nod.

Also shows Aguero should be a shoe in for the no.9 position in toty ahead of Kane but of course he won't get it.

Padr81's Toty

gk - DeGea
dr - Walker
dc - Otamendi
dc - Tarkowski
dl - Young (lack of any standout opposition, Delph maybe...)
dm - Fernandinho
mc - KDB
mc - Silva
ar - Salah (PotY)
al - Sane (YPotY)

st -Aguero

Hardluck cases -
KdB in not winning PotY,
Sterling in being amazing but playing hte same position as Salah,
Eriksen in being great but not quite Silva or KdB good.
Kane in being lethal but not quite as good as Aguero.
Matic (edged out by Fernandinho)
Vertonghen (narrowly edged out by the 2 cbs)
I'd pick Kane over Aguero.

As much as Young has been great, it really speaks a lot about the qualify of left backs this season that a 33yr old converted winger is the best left back(obviously mitigated by the fact that Mendy and Rose were injured for most of the season but still)

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd pick Kane over Aguero.

As much as Young has been great, it really speaks a lot about the qualify of left backs this season that a 33yr old converted winger is the best left back(obviously mitigated by the fact that Mendy and Rose were injured for most of the season but still)
Can understand the argument for Kane but imho Aguero has achieved more this season.

Yup, his best competition is a reserve injury prone CM from City. Shocking for someone like Bertrand/Shaw that most would have both Young and Delph ahead of them.

Charles Miller

KDB because he is amazing all over the pitch and he makes anyone he plays with better. But i understand people voting for Salah, i just think KDB is the example of a complete footballer.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'd go for Salah. Whatever I've seen of City, I've gone more and more of the opinion that Silva is City's best player rather than KdB. Personally finding it surprising that nobody's mentioning Silva name for player of the year.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

I wouldn't have any problem with Fernandihno but I would with Ederson. He's been good, but how many MOTM performances has he had compared to De Gea? The LB position is one where there really hasn't been any stand outs this year. It will probably go to Alonso though...

Sterling Archer

De Bruyne will surely win it with Salah coming close behind in votes. Over the season so far I think both have done enough to warrant it as well. It’ll be hard on whichever doesn’t get it. Silva will of course come in 3rd

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
KDB has literally carried us in games and his passes has penetrated opposition defense so many times.

Salah might have scored so many goals but his shot conversion ratio was poor, especially in the first half.

For me KDB should win it because he has been lethal both in terms of assists as well as scoring goals.

DDG is agreeable but then again its debatable as he is a phenomenal shot stopper but maybe not so good at distribution like Ederson.
A keepers first job is to stop the ball from going in the net. Nobody has even come close to being as good as De Gea in those regards. I have no problem with the other two picks, it's just not the way I would go but probably how it will turn out...

Raw

I wouldn't have any problem with Fernandihno but I would with Ederson. He's been good, but how many MOTM performances has he had compared to De Gea? The LB position is one where there really hasn't been any stand outs this year. It will probably go to Alonso though...
I can see Robertson maybe getting LB. Slow start in terms of appearances but he's been very good every time I've seen him.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
David Silva would be my choice. For footballing reasons on their own but, and I don't know if this is relevant, his dignity and professionalism despite family issues adds another dimension. However, I think Salah will win and I must admit I love watching him play.

Camilo

So which LB would you choose? I don't think there are any standouts. Young is the only one to keep Salah quiet this season.

Ederson plays in a hugely dominant team yet has had plenty of praise.
None of them?! All kinds of average throughout the league. I certainly couldn't make a case for Young over most the 19 other regulars. But I suppose I could concede he's probably been no worse than many of them too. My point about Ederson is he's a big part of the reason City have become so dominant - when you've a keeper that won't shit the bed under pressure... He's made a big difference and would deserve the a place in the team of the year.

Boycott

POTY: Salah
YPOTY: Sane

Team of the Year:
De Gea
Walker Otamendi Vertonghen Davies
Fernandinho David Silva
Salah De Bruyne Sane
Kane

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Don’t agree with the argument. It is not as if Salah is dragging a team like Leicester to the top 4 position. KDB should not have his performances discounted due to playing with better individuals. If that was the case then a lot of these awards should have been one by teams not even in top 4. Using Ginola’s win as an example is also bizarre since that wasn’t deserved at all. Beckham, Keane, Yorke were easily better than him that season.

Skills

Snitch
Dear Bruyne. His form in the first half of the season smashed the title race to pieces.

It hasn't mattered since then, everything else has been a secondary story this season because of how dominant they were until January.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons

Ederson is nowhere near De Gea when it comes to goalkeeping. The fact that he keeps being brought up as potentially ahead of de gea in a team of the year is laughable when you consider how important each one has been to their respective sides. Claudio Bravo is also a better distributor than de gea, would he be ahead of him too?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

City wouldn't be dominant without De Bruyne.