Who will win PFA player of the season and why?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I can see Robertson maybe getting LB. Slow start in terms of appearances but he's been very good every time I've seen him.
Robertson has been ok going forward but I would have a problem naming anyone from the back four at Liverpool. A defenders first job is to defend and Liverpool just don't do that very well. For me, the only player that I can think of who an argument can be made to have been better than Young this year is Alonso. The LB position seems to be a position that not many have nailed down this year due to inconsistency and injury. If healthy it probably would have went to Mendy. After he went down Delph was doing a good job until injury hit him. At Tottenham there is a lot of rotation in that position and we aren't even going to talk about a gooner possibly getting it. That really only leaves Young and Alonso...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
KDB purely because his form won City a League. Salah is just behind though, hell of a season.

Boycott

Robertson has been ok going forward but I would have a problem naming anyone from the back four at Liverpool. A defenders first job is to defend and Liverpool just don't do that very well. For me, the only player that I can think of who an argument can be made to have been better than Young this year is Alonso. The LB position seems to be a position that not many have nailed down this year due to inconsistency and injury. If healthy it probably would have went to Mendy. After he went down Delph was doing a good job until injury hit him. At Tottenham there is a lot of rotation in that position and we aren't even going to talk about a gooner possibly getting it. That really only leaves Young and Alonso...
Ben Davies has played 25/31 games.

shaky

I'm surprised I've not seen any Liverpool fans calling for De Gea to be POTY considering how many of them seem to think he's solely responsible for us being in 2nd instead of mid table.

Aurell

Supports
Football
No doubt. De Bruyne's side
He is the leader, the best player of City.
- one the the first link of their defensive machine through his pressing, a high number of interceptions, a good percentage of tackles won but also duels won... a huge implication.
- The main playmaker, conductor of Guardiola. 15 assists is really good, not far from Henry' 20 assist record. He raises the collective's level and sublimates his teammates especially Sané
- He is also the top point earner (20) so if the title race is done, he deserves a part of the credits. Pretty regular.

Plus, more generally, I am for emphasise the player's Influence on a collective, the way the team plays, and the final victory. Their value more than their stats. That's is the paramount importance of players like Ozil in Germany, Kroos, Iniesta, Kanté... The Ballon d'or kind of forget that only purpose of a player: collective success. And reward Salah will be sticking in that line.

At the end maybe we do see him less on the pitch than Salah because his team is less unbalanced and that the Guardiola/Bielsa game plan is to reduce the individual part for the benefit of the team. But in the title race KDB, and only him, has been the best contributors, more than Salah who also benefits of his teammates work but remains even recently the player who had missed the most PL big chances.

And actually I don't not think that it's easier to perform in a top team...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
De Bruyne

I won't be surprise if Salah wins, as he is the most impressive player individually with all the goals. But De Bruyne is the best player in by far the best team in the league, without De Bruyne I doubt City will be as dominating as they were, and City is fecking amazing this season.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
Ederson is nowhere near De Gea when it comes to goalkeeping. The fact that he keeps being brought up as potentially ahead of de gea in a team of the year is laughable when you consider how important each one has been to their respective sides. Claudio Bravo is also a better distributor than de gea, would he be ahead of him too?
Nope. What i meant was DDG is great at shot stopping but will probably not be picked by Barcelona/Manchester City/Bayern type teams unless he improves his distribution.
Ederson might not be a great shot stopper but overall, he will be picked by the aforementioned teams over DDG anyday particularly because of his phenomenal distribution and a good enough shotstopping.

Bravo has too many mistakes in him. His distribution also suffered because of his frequent brainfarts Plus he is not a good enough shot stopper either.

Look, for teams like madrid, united etc which do not rely on goalkeepers to do the distribution, DDG walks over nearly evereyone else but for the teams which are based on fluidity and build up from the back, DDG wont over Ederson.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Salah deserves to win it but KDB will. The media are with him and that's all that matters.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nope. What i meant was DDG is great at shot stopping but will probably not be picked by Barcelona/Manchester City/Bayern type teams unless he improves his distribution.
Ederson might not be a great shot stopper but overall, he will be picked by the aforementioned teams over DDG anyday particularly because of his phenomenal distribution and a good enough shotstopping.

Bravo has too many mistakes in him. His distribution also suffered because of his frequent brainfarts Plus he is not a good enough shot stopper either.

Look, for teams like madrid, united etc which do not rely on goalkeepers to do the distribution, DDG walks over nearly evereyone else but for the teams which are based on fluidity and build up from the back, DDG wont over Ederson.
DDG would of course be picked by any of those clubs. He might not have the passing ability of Ederson or Ter Stegen but he is really good on the ball all the same and well capable of playing for us, Barca or Bayern. Looks at his assist for Aspas a few days ago, straight out of the Ederson hand book and a phenomenal pass.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Salah by a mile. Goals are the most important and most valuable thing in football, and he's going to score more than anyone else has ever done in this league.

robinrooney

I think Salah will win it purely for the number of goals he has scored. Quite impressive seeing as he's not a CF

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Salah by a mile. Goals are the most important and most valuable thing in football, and he's going to score more than anyone else has ever done in this league.
Indeed. That's presumably why Liverpool are about to win the league? You could make an extremely good argument for Salah but using your own argument City's impending record goal scoring season is important and valuable?

El Zoido

Salah surely has to win it. He’s been better than KDB, league title doesn’t factor in. KDB wouldn’t have won Liverpool the league.

buckooo1978

Salah it is for me.....he's been relentless and I don't feel there has been any period really he's dropped off

De Bruyne has been brilliant too but Salah just shades it - both players are lucky to be attacking players playing in attacking teams with progressive coaches

1. Salah
2. De Bruyne
3. Kane

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
KDB. Aside from being the best player in the best team, he's genuinely impressed me more than Salah this season despite Salah's insane goalscoring. In an imaginary world where it was possible I'd rather see us sign KDB than Salah.

That said, if Salah does win there'd be no complaints either.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Indeed. That's presumably why Liverpool are about to win the league? You could make an extremely good argument for Salah but using your own argument City's impending record goal scoring season is important and valuable?
Just as well we're talking about player of the season and not team of the season then?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
De Bruyne for me. I probably sound bitter but Salah is overrated, his stats, ridiculous as they are, make him look like a better player than he is. De Bruyne on the other hand is magnificent (and playing for the fecking City :().

And I know that it's not a team award, but it's not a coincidence that De Bruyne's City had won the title in what, December?

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Just as well we're talking about player of the season and not team of the season then?
Ah, so 'Goals are the most important and most valuable thing in football' isn't actually the thing you previously claimed?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
De Bruyne should win it but I suspect his brilliance in the first half of the season will get forgotten about when it comes to voting with the title race being a non event.

Salah has been getting all the hype recently while the votes are being cast. His 4 goals the other week will probably win him it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Honestly just a personal preference between the two. I'd pick De Bruyne personally because although Salah scores a lot of goals there are many games where he doesn't do much else whilst De Bruyne basically never has a poor game and the best team in the league revolves around him.

Camilo

I wouldn't have any problem with Fernandihno but I would with Ederson. He's been good, but how many MOTM performances has he had compared to De Gea?
Compared to De Gea? Probably nowhere near as many.. But I think the way Ederson has allowed City to play this season - always pushed up, always confident he'll sweep up any balls over the top, always confident he'll do well on the ball and distribute well under pressure - I think it's just as impressive really. We've probably got two of the best "defender" defenders (Smalling and Jones) in the world, but you need more than big tackles from your defenders, you need footballing ability. Same applies more and more to goalkeepers, and De Gea's got a way to go there. Still, wouldn't have a problem with either getting the spot.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Individual brilliance or not, he didn't deserve it. There were so many possible choices from United that year it split the vote. That's why Ginola won - no other reason.

As to this year probably somebody from City.

It was a bit like the Ipswich manager getting MOTS when Liverpool done the treble ( not the real one before you start ) . They finished 5th which is a sound achievement as I think they got promoted the season before but Houllier should have got it.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
So which LB would you choose? I don't think there are any standouts. Young is the only one to keep Salah quiet this season.

Ederson plays in a hugely dominant team yet has had plenty of praise.
To be frank, with the bus parked, it wasn't difficult with players tripling up on salah

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It'll be Salah, and probably quite comfortably too.

Josep Dowling

De Bruyne for me. I probably sound bitter but Salah is overrated, his stats, ridiculous as they are, make him look like a better player than he is. De Bruyne on the other hand is magnificent (and playing for the fecking City :().

And I know that it's not a team award, but it's not a coincidence that De Bruyne's City had won the title in what, December?
They’re winning the league because they have a £50m player in every position including the bench.

Josep Dowling

It was a bit like the Ipswich manager getting MOTS when Liverpool done the treble ( not the real one before you start ) . They finished 5th which is a sound achievement as I think they got promoted the season before but Houllier should have got it.
Isn’t the award based purely on the league though? So in that case George Burnley would have warranted it that season.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Isn’t the award based purely on the league though? So in that case George Burnley would have warranted it that season.
Iam not sure to be honest. I think Liverpool got team of the season in the shitty BBC Sports thing before Chrimbo.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
For me, it stands to reason that the player of the year has to be part of the team that wins the league.

De Bruyne is the 3rd most important player in the world. Easily. He pushes his team to a new level.

Corey

For me, it stands to reason that the player of the year has to be part of the team that wins the league.

De Bruyne is the 3rd most important player in the world. Easily. He pushes his team to a new level.
How on Earth does this stand to reason?

extincti fugax hominum

Gotta be Salah for sure. He deserves it more than any other player in the league even though he is a bit overrated and De Bruyne is a better player than him imo. He had the best season and is on the verge of beating Ronaldo to be the player who scored the most goals in one season without playing as a striker. I won't be surprised if De Bruyne or Kane wins it though.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

I'd give it to Salah, but have no qualms about De Bruyne winning it.

Team:

De Gea;

Azpilicueta, Maguire, Vertonghen, Alonso;

Matic;

De Bruyne, Eriksen;

Salah, Kane, Sane.