Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

SirAF

Ageist
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Messages
36,752
Location
If Arsenal can, then United can. We’re a better team.
 

Drawfull

Full Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2014
Messages
4,159
Location
Just close your eyes, forget your name
Conte said:
“Arsenal are doing very well. Now they have to show they can stay there until the end of the season because I’m sure Manchester City doesn’t agree and will feel the real possibility to win again, especially because Liverpool already lost a lot of points – the same for Chelsea and Manchester United. It is a battle between Arsenal and Manchester City.”
Is he looking at a different table? Even before the win yesterday (quote's from Friday), we were technically in it - a lot more so than fecking Spurs.
 

next_number_seven

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Messages
22
I can’t see it without a top striker. City are also still a better team than us, they’re just going through a bad patch while we are in our best form in years. But I still think they’re much more likely to go and win 10 on the trot in the later part of the season.

3rd place would be an immense season overall.
Rashford is a top striker at the moment. We've lots of goalscorers also in the team.
It would be nice if Sancho came back in good form.

It's the nature of our performances which gives me hope as opposed to the results.
 

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Joined
Dec 10, 2020
Messages
6,555
We need to win at the Emirates next week to have any chance. A win for us there and Arse vs City drawing their two games and it’s on.
 

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
31,318
Location
Love is Blind
First play fifth today and for the first time in a decade we want fifth to win rather than first. I don't think we can win it this season but I love that bald Dutch genius for what he has done so far.
 

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Messages
15,578
Location
up north
The entire picture could change in the space of a week if Spurs kick things off today.

It's Arsenal's to lose, and if there is one club you'd bet on to lose it from here...it's Arsenal.
 

LordSpud

New Member
Newbie
Joined
May 22, 2017
Messages
862
I can’t see it without a top striker. City are also still a better team than us, they’re just going through a bad patch while we are in our best form in years. But I still think they’re much more likely to go and win 10 on the trot in the later part of the season.







3rd place would be an immense season overall.


Rashford is better than Jesus or bloody Nketiah
 

Marwood

Full Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2021
Messages
2,594
As good as the last few weeks have been we'd still need to go up a level to be in a title race.

I don't think we've actually played that well the last three games. But we're solid and we have to acknowledge the two offside decisions against City and Everton, although technically correct, were an element of luck for us.

I'm looking at the front four, they all, except Rashford, have to do more for us to contend.
 

AaronRedDevil

Full Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2018
Messages
8,320
Does Ronaldo get a PL medal if by some miracle united win the league? Since he's played more that 5 games.
 

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
10,689
I don't think so yet. Look at our GD - still out of place in the heights of the table. It's obviously encouraging, but City will still win the league, comfortably imo.

We've won what, 8 league games on the bounce? That form doesn't continue for normal teams, and I've not seen enough yet for us to be a 90+ points 'special' case.

But can't argue with the direction, let's just pray that whatever happens with ownership ETH doesn't start getting flirty looks from the big European giants.
 

Greyfog

Full Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2018
Messages
284
Location
High Road
Supports
Enugu Rangers
Arsenal drop points today and it's a 4 way fight with Newcastle as outsiders. The more the better.. Drama. Love it
 

The_Order

Full Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
1,828
we can challenege

but are a Casemiro and Marcus injury away from stalling.
 

Blood Mage

Full Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
3,801
No mid-week game for Arsenal is bullshit, hands them an advantage against us next Saturday. Still think they're hot favourites unless they have a big collapse.
 

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
50,523
Location
Canada
I'm still a pretty firm no here, but the door is creeping open and IMO the 2 guys who are giving us that chance (aside from the manager) are Casemiro and Varane. Absolute world class players with elite mentalities, absolute winners who will never settle for 2nd. That goes a hell of a long way.

Ultimately I don't think we have the striker to get us over the line, I think ~80 points (plus minus 5 points depending on injuries and luck) is realistic this year, so the extreme end of good performance would get us 85, which would only get us the title if City and Arsenal really flop. We aren't a 90 point team, not with our attacking line. Sancho and Antony really need to step up for that, but mainly we need that striker. Add someone like Kane up top, or even 19/20 Martial where he is actually fit and playing well consistently, and we'd be a different animal. As it is, way too many tight games that will have our luck turn at some point. We need that elite scorer to just end games earlier.
 

Thiagoal

Full Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2013
Messages
2,150
If we win midweek and beat Arsenal then we most definitely are right in the middle of the title race. Add in the fact we will have played City and Arsenal twice before they play each other once- we’d be in great shape! Problem is, I don’t think we’ll beat Arsenal…
 

georgieworst

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Jan 20, 2019
Messages
30
If we win midweek and beat Arsenal then we most definitely are right in the middle of the title race. Add in the fact we will have played City and Arsenal twice before they play each other once- we’d be in great shape! Problem is, I don’t think we’ll beat Arsenal…
Reading some of the commentary on Redcafe last season you would believe that Arsenal would be years away from mounting a challenge...it was all about City and Liverpool...well here we are a year later... I've come to the conclusion that some contributors have little or no understanding of what it takes to win the league....nobody saw Leicester winning it..can Utd win the league this year...of course they can.
 

Red Rash

Full Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2019
Messages
820
We won't win it this year in my opinion although I'll be delighted if we do.

I think our first team is pretty good but we still have problems in the team.

Varane is still quite injury prone and if Casemiro gets injured the drop off in quality would be huge. We are also too reliant on Rashford for goals right now and unless Martial can stay fit and pick up form, if Rashford hits a dry spell we are in trouble.

Our who season is basically reliant on Varane, Casemiro and Rashford in my opinion.
 

Chairman Steve

Full Member
Joined
May 9, 2018
Messages
5,201
If we beat Palace and Arsenal this coming week, I might start thinking about it.

But annoyingly even we do that, there’s still like just under half the season left. I said it in the City match thread that even if we beat City, I still see us dropping points here and there in games you wouldn’t expect. Beware of the teams who look like they’ll be in a relegation battle as we come up to March. Underperforming teams like Everton and West Ham will be massive banana skins if they change managers and get that new manager bounce.

We could have injuries. We could lose form. Anything could happen.
 

GregM40

Full Member
Joined
May 5, 2011
Messages
415
Location
Manchester
It’d be nice to be even seriously considered in a title race. Finishing 2nd under Mourinho and no one took us seriously then as City were so good.

If we can’t win it this season we need to give the likes of Arsenal and City something to think about and have them looking over their shoulders going into next season.
 

MoranMcGrath

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Jan 11, 2023
Messages
3
We need to win at the Emirates next week to have any chance. A win for us there and Arse vs City drawing their two games and it’s on.

I think a draw still keeps us in it .

Arsenal will crack .

A win and I really think ...we will be back in May to take it away
 

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Joined
Jul 15, 2010
Messages
15,239
Minimum is 10 PL appearances
That was lowered to 5 a little while ago:

"They can be distributed to the manager, players and officials as the club see fit, as long as every player who has made at least five Premier League appearances during the title-winning season gets one."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1608983

But I think Ronaldo may have made 10 league appearances anyway (though I'd love it if his refusal to come on against Spurs would've cost him a medal :lol: ).

It would be really interesting to see how it would play-out if we did win it:

-Would the club just send him his medal quietly?
-Would they invite him to the trophy ceremony to get his medal?
-Would he show-up?
-If he did show-up, would he go the full John Terry?
-Would he reject it altogether?

That potential drama alone demands that we win the title :D
 
Last edited:

croadyman

Full Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
22,393
If we beat Palace and Arsenal this coming week, I might start thinking about it.

But annoyingly even we do that, there’s still like just under half the season left. I said it in the City match thread that even if we beat City, I still see us dropping points here and there in games you wouldn’t expect. Beware of the teams who look like they’ll be in a relegation battle as we come up to March. Underperforming teams like Everton and West Ham will be massive banana skins if they change managers and get that new manager bounce.

We could have injuries. We could lose form. Anything could happen.
Initially I thought 4 points this week would still keep us in it,however means the gap is still 6 with a game in hand for Arsenal so now not so sure.
 

Nicolarra90

New Member
Newbie
Joined
May 14, 2017
Messages
794
Initially I thought 4 points this week would still keep us in it,however means the gap is still 6 with a game in hand for Arsenal so now not so sure.
We have to keep the distance from arsenal between 6 to 10 points until GW 30 and hopefully be above city.
We must let them face the pressure of holding the leadership and try to snatch the league between GW 36 - 38.
If we are leaders before that we might crumble (although we have some serious leaders in our team).
And if city reaches the leadership in any point its over.
 

NoPace

Full Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
8,372
If it was City was up 9 I'd say no.

Arsenal are a better side than us, but only Partey and Zinchenko have actually won anything of note unless I'm forgetting someone, and they're a Partey injury away from being in trouble in that spot, so yeah why not.

But if I was betting I'd say we finish 3rd behind Arsenal and City in some order.
 

TheArse

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Nov 28, 2021
Messages
28
It's definitely still open for United to win. I feel both our clubs are in the same position with relatively thin squads in terms of quality for starting 11.

An injury or 2 to critical players and the drop off is insane.

United have a real chance to pull us back in our next game and then the pressure piles back on us testing our mentality again.

Also - There's soooo many games left to play. Many twists and turns to come yet.

Much like Arsenal, United have surprised me with their consistency over the last few months. That win vs City was so huge who knows what confidence that will give the players.
 

JeffFromHK

Full Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2021
Messages
673
it is still possible, but the chance is slim, I would say arsenal has 60% chance of winning, city 30%, and us only 10% (the rest no chance).
performance/game control wise we are still behind arsenal, and to a lesser extent behind city
 

Paul_Scholes18

Full Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
13,655
it is still possible, but the chance is slim, I would say arsenal has 60% chance of winning, city 30%, and us only 10% (the rest no chance).
performance/game control wise we are still behind arsenal, and to a lesser extent behind city
Agree with this. I think the biggest problem is we rely on Casemiro too much. Not sure he can play every game. Top 3 and a title with neither City or Liverpool winning would be our best season since Moyes took and something to build on.

If Weghorst is good maybe we could win it with luck, but we have to beat Arsenal next week.
 

SunnyGlasgow

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Nov 6, 2021
Messages
29
I'm just enjoying being part of the conversation again - no expectations - I still have PTSD from Moyes' mouse mat
 

De_BoerAjax

New Member
Newbie
Joined
Sep 27, 2015
Messages
10
Supports
Ajax
it is still possible, but the chance is slim, I would say arsenal has 60% chance of winning, city 30%, and us only 10% (the rest no chance).
performance/game control wise we are still behind arsenal, and to a lesser extent behind city
I think Arsenal is overperfoming by a lot. They play with a lot of confidence right now but it's mainly odegaard who is dictating their game. Simply put that he won't stand a chance against casemiro/fred.

Martinelli and Nketiah are Aston Villa level and Saka is out of form. Against Spurs you saw an abysmal defending on both of the goals while they got lucky Spurs didn't score. If we win against Palace and Arsenal I think we are favourites to win the league.
 

croadyman

Full Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
22,393
I think Arsenal is overperfoming by a lot. They play with a lot of confidence right now but it's mainly odegaard who is dictating their game. Simply put that he won't stand a chance against casemiro/fred.

Martinelli and Nketiah are Aston Villa level and Saka is out of form. Against Spurs you saw an abysmal defending on both of the goals while they got lucky Spurs didn't score. If we win against Palace and Arsenal I think we are favourites to win the league.
Might want to remember we may not have either Casa/Fred available against Arsenal if they get booked tomorrow
 

RaddyRed

Full Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Messages
548
Location
Manchester
Supports
Henrik Larsson
I still have a feeling City will destroy Arsenal when they play, and that will knock a lot of confidence out of them.
 

NLunited

Full Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Messages
1,110
Location
US
It’s possible if we continue our winning streak: we would have to drop 8 points or less.
 

Bepi

Full Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2016
Messages
3,435
Location
Italy
Supports
Juventus
As long as Arsenal keep living in their golden bubble, there is nothing much United can do. You also have City who are still marginally better, even if in a descending trajectory for their standards. Ten Hag is doing better/faster than expected, yet there is another step or two (and one more window transfer) to actually win trophies
 

croadyman

Full Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
22,393
As long as Arsenal keep living in their golden bubble, there is nothing much United can do. You also have City who are still marginally better, even if in a descending trajectory for their standards. Ten Hag is doing better/faster than expected, yet there is another step or two (and one more window transfer) to actually win trophies
Oh absolutely and sometimes it's easy to forget we are 30 months behind them in terms of development
 

nakpodiareuben

Full Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2022
Messages
359
Agree with this. I think the biggest problem is we rely on Casemiro too much. Not sure he can play every game. Top 3 and a title with neither City or Liverpool winning would be our best season since Moyes took and something to build on.

If Weghorst is good maybe we could win it with luck, but we have to beat Arsenal next week.

Casemiro is a freak. The reason I feel we have a chance is because we have the best team with the right players. Wout addition is going to confirm that
 

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Joined
Oct 22, 2012
Messages
24,986
Location
...
We absolutely can. I think Arsenal are playing at the very top of their game so far this season, and it’s very difficult to sustain that for a full 38. In terms of form, the only way is down. United, on the other hand, have managed to get themselves into this position (could be second by tomorrow) with A LOT of growth potential within this CURRENT group. I think it’s reasonable to say that our defence and our midfield are currently operating somewhere close to the maximum of their capabilities - but of the attacking unit, only Rashford has really hit top form. From here on out, it is feasible that at any given moment, Martial, Sancho and or Antony could really start peaking, as there is still a lot of room for them to grow on their current performances. IF they did that, that would take us up a level or two. That group has been underwhelming on the whole, and yet we are still in it.
 
X