Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
To be fair, we're still shy of the 40 point mark and sandwiched between perennial relegation candidates, Newcastle and Man City.

RopersReturn

We need to put the Europa as a low priority and play 2nd string if we get 4 from next 2. Especially if we beat Arsenal.
Historically we’re still the most successful club in the country, our objectives shouldn’t change, we should strive to compete and win everything. We’re the biggest club in the UK, let’s not shy away from that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Logic would tell you it’s still too early in the process but I certainly wouldn’t fear Arsenal that’s for sure. There’s no way they’ll have the bottle come March time.

Lebo

I don’t understand the defeatists in this thread. We are 1 point behind city. If we aren’t in the race then city can’t be in the race too. Unless you think they can put up a better run until may which is unlikely given how far ahead they were at some point. This is on . We are winning at Emirates on Sunday.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we beat Palace and don't lose at Arsenal then we are definitely in the race for sure.

Lebo

Historically we’re still the most successful club in the country, our objectives shouldn’t change, we should strive to compete and win everything. We’re the biggest club in the UK, let’s not shy away from that.
Stuff I want to hear. Let’s wrap up the league cup and then go all out against Barcelona. If we win that game then the Europa league charge is on. We need all trophies this season .

dogwithabone

I think the City and Arsenal games we’d have taken two draws, so we are a point up no matter what happens at Arsenal. We’ve gone a long way today to cementing a top four spot and while Arsenal wasn’t going to quite be a free hit it’s suddenly taken on huge significance in terms of a title challenge. With Arsenal and City playing each other twice in the PL something has to give and as ridiculous as it sounds we could be in pole position in a months time. Who’d have thought it !!!!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I know what the reactions to this may be, but I know I can't be the only believer here.

Casemiro yet to come, ETH building something big here, a manager who is not afraid to drop players and be flexible with tactics, City and Pool dropping points.

No one can stop us
Going back to the OP; tbh I thought you were nuts but the last 9 results in all comps for us are all wins. That’s title winning form alright.

I’d still be happy with top 4 and an FA cup win, should we not get close to Arsenal.

Dominos

City and Arsenal will have this problem too, though of course they can't both stay in the FA Cup
We have 2 extra European games compared to them because we fecked up the group stage. And (probably) 3 extra League Cup games that they don't have.

I'd also bet Arsenal make Europa low priority as they're top of the league and want to prioritise staying there.

Elcabron

Well our defense is comfortably the best in the league in my view, we also have two good players in each defensive position.

We can't keep relying on Rashford game after game and so hopefully WW can chip in as Martial doesn't look like he is going to. We could also do with Sancho coming back into the fold given the amount of games we have coming up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This thread looked utterly ludicrous.
Now it at least for the first time sounds like an outside chance if things go very well.

We need Arsenal to lose tomorrow, and for us to turn them over.
If that happened, things will really open up.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hope our owners try for couple of players on loan. We are in a title race in about 10 years.

Just give him a forward and a wide right option.

AlPistacho

I believe. But logically here is why I think we will fall short this year. But it’s great because it highlights exactly what we need.

1) When rashford got injured I crapped myself and thought no way we score if he goes off.

2) When Casemiro got injured, and for a minute the reaction from players looked serious, I thought that’s our season done.

3) When ETH made all them subs in injury time and McTominay & Maguire came on I thought City are going to equalise. My anxiety went up the roof after those subs.

But if we can avoid injuries to key players then I think we’ll be there or there about and come May might be top of the bunch.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Hope our owners try for couple of players on loan. We are in a title race in about 10 years.

Just give him a forward and a wide right option.
They got him a forward and we don't need another wide right option, Garnacho is quite as capable on the right as he is on the left

sport2793

We will have to see how the next week or two shape up but there is still a long way to go, we haven't even reached the halfway point yet. A lot will depend on the health of key players ultimately though, our squad isn't yet fully built to sustain a strong league campaign.

sport2793

They got him a forward and we don't need another wide right option, Garnacho is quite as capable on the right as he is on the left
Also Sancho could come back in the near future, doubt he will miss the rest of the season if he's already back training at Carrington.

AlPistacho

We need a CDM to cover Casemiro, and cover for Varane. Plus the forward we got is unlikely to score many goals.

Frank Grimes

I don’t understand the defeatists in this thread. We are 1 point behind city. If we aren’t in the race then city can’t be in the race too. Unless you think they can put up a better run until may which is unlikely given how far ahead they were at some point. This is on . We are winning at Emirates on Sunday.
We have Palace before though ( and Arsenal have an away derby) . Let's win that and then see where we are. A draw in Emirates could be a great result, as opposed to a satisfactory one.

Tyrion

Logic would tell you it’s still too early in the process but I certainly wouldn’t fear Arsenal that’s for sure. There’s no way they’ll have the bottle come March time.
I keep waiting for Arsenal to get nervous. That's why I think City just need to be within several points near the end and they'll be able to win.

City have more recent experience and better players. They're having a rough time now but I still expect them to kick on eventually and challenge Arsenal. I think we can get third though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We need a CDM to cover Casemiro, and cover for Varane. Plus the forward we got is unlikely to score many goals.
Well the options were a forward and a RW but to answer your points

Cover for Casemiro - we may already have it, Shaw's performance at CB could allow us to use Martinez as a CDM if need be, as for Varane, we have Maguire and Lindelof, we're not going to get anything better than those in January

AlPistacho

Well the options were a forward and a RW but to answer your points

Cover for Casemiro - we may already have it, Shaw's performance at CB could allow us to use Martinez as a CDM if need be, as for Varane, we have Maguire and Lindelof, we're not going to get anything better than those in January
I was speaking more long term. Even if we win the league this year, those issues will have to be addressed. But what’s great is that now what we really need are most quality squad players to cover key positions, and a WC forward.

Smores

Our cover in those positions is probably better than the cover Arsenal and City have.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Were Manchester United not arsenal. Sick of the small club mentality, we want to win everything that we're in.
Small mentality fans you mean, like those who claim 4th is more important than winning a trophy

BaguetteBoy

After a decade of mediocrity can we just enjoy this a minute before we start arguing among ourselves of what ifs? Been supporting this club since the 80s seen some very special times. Just happy I’m enjoying watching football again

Reactions: Cheimoon

AlPistacho

Our cover in those positions is probably better than the cover Arsenal and City have.
Are you Joel Glazer?
How is our replacement for Casemiro anywhere near as good as City’s options for Rodri?

KeanoMagicHat

There’s always someone saying that every season you should sacrifice this that or the other cup for no reason, like they get a kick out it.

Play to win every game within reason, especially in the latter stages. Winning breeds more winning.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There's a chance we finish above both city and Liverpool and still not win the league.

Who would have thought of that when ten hag first came around :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
No, a bridge too far this season

We simply don't have enough goals in the team to win it. Unfortunately, Arsenal look pretty likely after City meltdown. They're gonna be insufferable too.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We have 2 extra European games compared to them because we fecked up the group stage. And (probably) 3 extra League Cup games that they don't have.

I'd also bet Arsenal make Europa low priority as they're top of the league and want to prioritise staying there.
They can probably afford to play a second team in the Europa league though and probably still go through depending on who they get. We need to go all in for the league cup which we probably will. And we’ll probably field a strong team in the Europa against Barca. ETH wants all trophies he ain’t prioritising any. If that means we fall short in the league then so be it, we wasn’t even meant to be in the title race anyway, our aim was top 4. If we can get top 4 and win 2 out of the Europa league, league cup/FA cup then that is a very successful season.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
After a decade of mediocrity can we just enjoy this a minute before we start arguing among ourselves of what ifs? Been supporting this club since the 80s seen some very special times. Just happy I’m enjoying watching football again
This is part of the enjoyment for me. Being able to dream about winning the league. At least we are in that position to think about it!

Rather than aiming for a dull top 4 top 6 or Europa League win.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
No, a bridge too far this season

We simply don't have enough goals in the team to win it. Unfortunately, Arsenal look pretty likely after City meltdown. They're gonna be insufferable too.
Arsenal also have a tradition of falling away in the second half of the season, that's not to say they will but we'll see

AlPistacho

Not being over familiar with City's squad, who are City's options?
Pep has lots of quality midfielders who can adapt and play there plus Philipps whose naturally a CDM. Our only quality midfielders other than Casemiro are Bruno / Eriksen none of who can play the deep role. I think Fred is very good, but only when besides top quality players who are all playing good.

AlPistacho

Well our defense is comfortably the best in the league in my view, we also have two good players in each defensive position.

We can't keep relying on Rashford game after game and so hopefully WW can chip in as Martial doesn't look like he is going to. We could also do with Sancho coming back into the fold given the amount of games we have coming up.
I think if Antony can step up a bit, maybe add 5 to 6 more goals, Garnacho can add 4-5 goals, Sancho gets back and can add 4-5 goals… spread between now until the end of the season not Vs Arsenal as the latter would be too easy :) we can get by and be a bit like City in seasons past.