Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

RedIan

We have improved immensely and we got a great result today but we are still a way off city and probably ARsenal. 29% possession at home isnt the way you win titles… but with ETH i believe we will get there in the next 2 years.

if key players get crocked, Varane Casamiro and Rashford do we have the quality in depth. I dont think we do.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
We have improved immensely and we got a great result today but we are still a way off city and probably ARsenal. 29% possession at home isnt the way you win titles… but with ETH i believe we will get there in the next 2 years.

if key players get crocked, Varane Casamiro and Rashford do we have the quality in depth. I dont think we do.
Winning games is the way to win titles. Possession has nothing to do with it. Teams in the past including us have won big games with low possession and won the league.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

In how many games have we had 29% possession at home?

And in those game(s) how many have we won?

Context is more important than the statistic itself.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson

Beating City at home is exactly how you win titles.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For any sort of title challenge the below would need to happen at a minimum:

1) We beat Arsenal.
2) We get knocked out of some other competitions.
3) Weghorst starts scoring an improbable amount of goals.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I feel fairly confident we won't be conceding many goals this season. The defensive game is really good.

It all depends on key players (Varane, Casemiro, Shaw, Rashford) being fit, Garnacho continuing on this level and Wout having a blistering start with us. I think all of this is unlikely, but maybe Antony, Sancho or Pellistri will also come into life. Still think we will drop at some point, all depends if Arsenal keep their great run. City will wake up soon as well.

Woziak

I think we are in the conversation, and should our miserable owners take a risk and actually back us with another high quality Midfield player loan like SMS or someone who can play high tempo as a 8/10 we have a chance. Really tough game on Thursday away at palace which is now a must win. If we have 42 points after 20 pl games having lost our first 2 games with City, Arsenal both played twice, Liverpool once, spurs once, Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton, Villa and wolves away. If you look at the run in we have one of the best however we need to get 4 points from next two games first, no guarantee. Then we need to win 15 out of the last pl 18 games, highly unlikely to give us an outside chance 87/88 points is going to be close however without squad additions I think this united squad gets 77-81 points not 86-89. Arsenal still have it to lose as they are free scoring unlike us!

SAFMUTD

A spurs win tomorrow and we defeating arsenal and we be cooking

We regularly have 60% possession, and beating your rivals in the league even with 10% possession is what wins you titles.

You know what doesn’t win you titles? Possession, as proven by our absolutely horrendous years under LvG.

croadyman

Still got to win at Palace and take point from Arsenal,however IF we could end next Sunday still only 6 behind I would be ecstatic. Anything closer is massive bonus.

andy0

When people were asking not long ago whether we could get into the top 4, I already thought this wasn't ambitious enough, and we should be looking at top 2, or just maybe even champions

Reasoning for this was a run of games we might win, then City and Arsenal, maybe 4 points from them, and later those two play each other twice, so between them they must drop 6 to 8 points in those 2 matches

Apart from losing to Villa, that's come out pretty well so far.

As I said to a Barcelona fan years ago, when he was depressed by Real being 10 points clear, any team can drop 5 points in 2 games, and some can do it twice in a row, like Arsenal (they just had)

I still feel I'd be satisfied with runners up, but an opportunity could happen, and the club look like working towards being ready if it does

Okey

The depth I agree with. Possession though, that can be deceptive. I nearly fell asleep on my seat with some of Citeh's spells of possession. We had 8 shots to their 5 and 4 on target to their 1. I wouldn't worry about possession against a Pep side if those other stats read thus.

Ricardo de la Vega

I know what the reactions to this may be, but I know I can't be the only believer here.

Casemiro yet to come, ETH building something big here, a manager who is not afraid to drop players and be flexible with tactics, City and Pool dropping points.

No one can stop us
I unironically believe this. Spurs beat Arsenal tomorrow, we beat them next week, who can stop us?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I agree that we can win the EPL. But we won't.

Cathy Ferguson

We need at least a draw next Sunday and then hope that City and Arsenal draw their two games. Certainly doable but a loss next Sunday would be huge setback.

Chumpsbechumps

Squad depth and fixture pile up will cost us. Getting knocked out of FA and Euro would give us best opportunity in league. Im not looking for that but we don’t have the squad to compete on so many levels with so many games squeezed into next few months.

Dan_F

Really trying not to get carried away. It’s his first season, we don’t have the squad depth, too many games, the gap is too big.

feck it, why not though.

Jeffthered

Win next weekend against Arsenal and I'll believe but for now I can't see it
It would be amazing to beat the Gooners, fantastic progress. But, I still think our squad lacks depth. We're reliant on key players and that's a worry.

Top four would be an amazing achievement, if we can do it.

Uniquim

Arsenal draw v Spurs, United win midweek and next weekend = 1 point behind having played one game more.

I still think the squad is a little too thin, esp. with all the competitions, but I'm excited about this. Think Arsenal will stumble a bit more too, so there's definitely a possibility, but I think we'll end up in 3rd most likely, but there's definitely a very positive development with this team since ten Hag took over. Lot to be excited about.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we win the next 2 games then we're in it I'd say, but otherwise nah it's too far and we won't be capable of keeping this run up when all the cups start building up... We are in Europa League. FA Cup, League Cup still. This team needs a world class striker and a younger, press resistant CM in there to be able to compete everywhere.

andy0

Squad depth and fixture pile up will cost us. Getting knocked out of FA and Euro would give us best opportunity in league. Im not looking for that but we don’t have the squad to compete on so many levels with so many games squeezed into next few months.
City and Arsenal will have this problem too, though of course they can't both stay in the FA Cup

Member 125398

Needs a 'Mourinho are you listening' type song to create good juju.

GBBQ

Today was a statement win but we’ll have to be flawless for the rest of the season. I do think we can overtake Arsenal but City will be harder to catch cos I don’t think this patch of form will be too long due to the depth of their squad

Arlo

We're all waiting for Arsenal to faceplant, which is taking longer than I'd like, but overtaking City and keeping them at bay might be too much too soon for this team at present. Our low goal difference also significantly works against us.

Lee565

In an ideal world the board would seize the opportunity for Premier league success and give ten hag the cash to buy a top class striker to give a huge push for the title but can imagine the glazers are jumping for joy at just being in a ucl place

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Best form in the league right now and a bit of daylight between us and Newcastle/Spurs. Now firmly placed in the top 4. Just need us and Spurs to do the business against Arsenal/City.

Jam

I unironically believe this. Spurs beat Arsenal tomorrow, we beat them next week, who can stop us?
Arsenal and City, possibly even Newcastle.

We’re beatable and will drop a lot of points in the remaining games. I’m confident of top 4, even confident of top 3. Not so much of top two.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The top guys in our dressing room will be thinking it’s on.

Roboc7

We’re too reliant on a small group of players especially Casemiro and Rashford to maintain a title challenge.

Olecurls99

It would be amazing to beat the Gooners, fantastic progress. But, I still think our squad lacks depth. We're reliant on key players and that's a worry.

Top four would be an amazing achievement, if we can do it.
Yeah but who isn't reliant on key players?

City without De Bruyne and Haaland

Liverpool without Mane ha ha

Arsenal without Saka and Martinelli

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
We need to put the Europa as a low priority and play 2nd string if we get 4 from next 2. Especially if we beat Arsenal.
Were Manchester United not arsenal. Sick of the small club mentality, we want to win everything that we're in.

Tragically Hip

I will never admit we can win it because of my belief in jinxes, but we clearly have a real chance to win it.