Who, with me, believes we can win the premier league?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It was the right decision to let him go following the interview. But…

Ronaldo would’ve probably found a final gear to win us the league. The possibility of another premier league title, especially after Messi lifting the WC, he always gets another level under such pressure.

Instead we have Wout.
You sound like you fell asleep after Ronaldo's first game (Newcastle) where he scored two goals under Ole and woke up yesterday.

nakpodiareuben

We definitely can win the league but it shouldn't be the expectation. It's cool to think we can win the league as long as we don't put unneccessary pressure or criticise the lads if they can't do it. Frankly the manager and player have worked absolute wonders to put us in a position where this is possible. Proud of them all no matter what.

Respect to this post.

Chungy

For myself, I must say that I've not been a big fan of this thread.

Yes, I understand supporting our team, being optimistic, hoping for the best, aiming for the top (while it's mathematically possible), and there's no harm in that at all. And I understand the frustrations when results haven't gone our way at times.

But the amount of frustration shown by some people for the dropped points against Leeds, Palace, Villa, etc... is frankly a little unreasonable, and the sentiment of "if we didn't drop points in those games then we'd be (much closer to the) top of the league' is a little unbalanced.

Every team drop points, every team drop points they 'deserve'. If all the teams got all the 'wins' they 'deserved' like we should have, then frankly the teams around us would probably be further ahead of us (Arsenal & Man City) / closer to where we are (Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton). In addition to the games where we 'dropped points when we shouldn't', there were also games where we got 3 points when we probably shouldn't have as well. Just like every other team.

In the course of a season, these things balance out, and I'm a firm believer that teams end up where they deserve at the end of a 38-game season. Right now, I think being 3rd in the league and still in all the cup competitions is an incredible achievement by Ten Hag and the team, especially considering how last season was. With the number of games still to play and how the league's shaping up, staying in the top 4 and winning a cup would already a hugely successful season, and I am much more worried about staying in the top 4 than thinking we will get 2nd (or 1st......).

Tottenham for all that everyone says they're not a good team, can still perform well, and we're only a long injury to Casemiro from having the same problem in midfield as they have. Newcastle for all their problems scoring goals is a very well organised team that is very difficult to beat, and we're just a Rashford injury from struggling to score ourselves. And Brighton with no European commitments is a genuine danger to the top 4 as well. Liverpool, though in terrible form this season and most people seem to discount, are getting players back now, and has the ability, as well as experience, to put on a run to challenge. Chelsea's the only 'top' team I pretty much discount, but with the squad they have, are they truly out of the race for top 4?

So yes, do aim for the top, always hope for the best. But I think it's far too early to assume top 4's ours, and I personally pay more attention to the results of Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton, and Liverpool than City or Arsenal.

Reactions: Invictus

croadyman

5 points off top with only 15 games to go.

We should be all out for the League now. The manager needs to show some balls and fully commit to it.
Yeah if it wasn't Barca we were facing I wouldn't want to win the tie so much,feel we really need to free up our midweeks a bit but then feel shite about wanting to be knocked out.

tomaldinho1

5 points off top with only 15 games to go.

We should be all out for the League now. The manager needs to show some balls and fully commit to it.
I actually agree. I still wouldn't expect us to win it but we can definitely get close if we play once a week - if he wins the Coca Cola I feel he might then just go for it as a minor trophy is in the bag and he'll have complete fan support to sack everything else off.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Its mid February and we are 5 points off top, sure we are in contention. Not too many seasons are we 5 off top at this stage so with Arsenal hitting a serious speed wobble and Man City not always in the mood this season, I would hope that the mentality with the players is that we are very much in the race and to aim high.

Siorac

But I'd love to have him now for the final 10 minutes of a game. He's worth a few wins, even being passed it. As I said - right decision to let him go, but if he couldve come to terms with his sporadic use off the bench
If he'd be okay with that, he wouldn't be Cristiano Ronaldo.

Flexdegea

Ye, my wording was a bit strong.

I disliked Ronaldo. Even last season, you could see his negative influence on the team.

But I'd love to have him now for the final 10 minutes of a game. He's worth a few wins, even being passed it. As I said - right decision to let him go, but if he couldve come to terms with his sporadic use off the bench - he'd have been hungry at possibilty of another title. And we do need that mentality - because no doubt about it - we're currently still in the title race.

This would make sense if he wasn't so toxic to the club and team.

Maybe nick a late goal, while losing more games. No sound logic in thinking he could offer something to the team. Would have been onli possible if he was a different person, and not ronaldo the narc

Strelok

For myself, I must say that I've not been a big fan of this thread.

Yes, I understand supporting our team, being optimistic, hoping for the best, aiming for the top (while it's mathematically possible), and there's no harm in that at all. And I understand the frustrations when results haven't gone our way at times.

But the amount of frustration shown by some people for the dropped points against Leeds, Palace, Villa, etc... is frankly a little unreasonable, and the sentiment of "if we didn't drop points in those games then we'd be (much closer to the) top of the league' is a little unbalanced.

Every team drop points, every team drop points they 'deserve'. If all the teams got all the 'wins' they 'deserved' like we should have, then frankly the teams around us would probably be further ahead of us (Arsenal & Man City) / closer to where we are (Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton). In addition to the games where we 'dropped points when we shouldn't', there were also games where we got 3 points when we probably shouldn't have as well. Just like every other team.

In the course of a season, these things balance out, and I'm a firm believer that teams end up where they deserve at the end of a 38-game season. Right now, I think being 3rd in the league and still in all the cup competitions is an incredible achievement by Ten Hag and the team, especially considering how last season was. With the number of games still to play and how the league's shaping up, staying in the top 4 and winning a cup would already a hugely successful season, and I am much more worried about staying in the top 4 than thinking we will get 2nd (or 1st......).

Tottenham for all that everyone says they're not a good team, can still perform well, and we're only a long injury to Casemiro from having the same problem in midfield as they have. Newcastle for all their problems scoring goals is a very well organised team that is very difficult to beat, and we're just a Rashford injury from struggling to score ourselves. And Brighton with no European commitments is a genuine danger to the top 4 as well. Liverpool, though in terrible form this season and most people seem to discount, are getting players back now, and has the ability, as well as experience, to put on a run to challenge. Chelsea's the only 'top' team I pretty much discount, but with the squad they have, are they truly out of the race for top 4?

So yes, do aim for the top, always hope for the best. But I think it's far too early to assume top 4's ours, and I personally pay more attention to the results of Newcastle, Tottenham, Brighton, and Liverpool than City or Arsenal.
Too sensible. You'll never make it here mate ;)

frostbite

8 points with 15 games remaining is very difficult. It is not impossible, but...

If we had won against Arsenal, we'd have 3 more points, they'd have 3 fewer points, and the difference would be just 2. That's why the head-to-head games are so important.

croadyman

8 points with 15 games remaining is very difficult. It is not impossible, but...

If we had won against Arsenal, we'd have 3 more points, they'd have 3 fewer points, and the difference would be just 2. That's why the head-to-head games are so important.
Ugh why did that fecking week have to cost us a shot at making it a three horse race

frostbite

Ugh why did that fecking week have to cost us a shot at making it a three horse race
And it was a single incident that cost us: the yellow card to Casemiro. He was visibly distracted after that and Palace scored a last minute free kick. And then we really missed Casemiro vs Arsenal.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm not really a believer because of our squad depth and injury problems, but don't forget that if City wins, it may get chalked off for their financial transgressions. It's really between Arsenal and us. Anything can happen.

croadyman

And it was a single incident that cost us: the yellow card to Casemiro. He was visibly distracted after that and Palace scored a last minute free kick. And then we really missed Casemiro vs Arsenal.
True but still nearly popped up with winner

CM

Yep, this was the moment. I don't know if it necessarily would've changed the course of the Palace match but we certainly wouldn't have lost to Arsenal with Casemiro in place of McTominay. Even a draw would've put us 5 behind rather than 8 which looks way more achievable.

Ultimately I don't think we can win the title this season but I don't think we'll be far off. Even if we come 3rd, I think we'll be closer in terms of points to the eventual winners than we were in either of the seasons when we finished 2nd.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
This year is the transition year. No more excuses for next year. We ought to be challenging more closely next year.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Yep, this was the moment. I don't know if it necessarily would've changed the course of the Palace match but we certainly wouldn't have lost to Arsenal with Casemiro in place of McTominay. Even a draw would've put us 5 behind rather than 8 which looks way more achievable.

Ultimately I don't think we can win the title this season but I don't think we'll be far off. Even if we come 3rd, I think we'll be closer in terms of points to the eventual winners than we were in either of the seasons when we finished 2nd.
If we finish 3rd place this year, it will feel like the season when Liverpool finished 3rd place (2017-2018) but everyone could see they were heading somewhere with Klopp.

BorisManUtd

If we had proper striker and stayed injury free for rest of the season, I'd believe. Highly unlikely this way even with Arsenal and City dropping points recently.

cyril C

People should realise that, our MF without Casemiro + Eriksen, is at best mid-table level, and often humilated by bottom club's warrior MF. Our CB, without martinez + Varane, is really a bottom club standard. Asking players not capable of passing and possession, is a walking time tomb.

I really can't believe fans can be so naive in believing we will not drop points against bottom clubs, because we can never win the league if we make unforced errors.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A Rashford injury away for this thread to never see the light of day again until the start of next season (after we win the opening game)

vanrooney

People should realise that, our MF without Casemiro + Eriksen, is at best mid-table level, and often humilated by bottom club's warrior MF. Our CB, without martinez + Varane, is really a bottom club standard. Asking players not capable of passing and possession, is a walking time tomb.

I really can't believe fans can be so naive in believing we will not drop points against bottom clubs, because we can never win the league if we make unforced errors.
so you are saying that our midfield wouldnt be good if our 2 starting midfielders where out? quite astonishing analysis. every team will miss their best players. and yes, its not very likely that we win it but its absolutely ok to think about it and dare to dream when you are 3 points behind city, who are the favourites for me. arsenal will crash at some point

Red00012

Those Arsenal goals were a killer yesterday. Honestly i think we need to beat the scousers at Anfield . We are in a title race then

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

To be fair, all teams are weaker if you remove their first choice CBs and CMs.

If Arsenal lose our game in hand, a three-way title race is most definitely on.

UDontMessWith24

If we’re eliminated on Thursday it’s possible I suppose. Otherwise, we’re still not quite at a place to exert control over games in 2nd or 3rd gear, which will come in time hopefully, but it’s very hard to win this league while we’re still playing on Thursdays without the ability to do that

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Even after we lift the trophy in May, there will be people coming on this thread saying we won't win it. The non-believers have to give it a rest, this is a done deal.

Woodzy

A Rashford injury away for this thread to never see the light of day again until the start of next season (after we win the opening game)
Arsenal are a Saka or Odegaard injury away from an uphill battle themselves.

City are the only team well equipped to deal with injuries, and they are looking out of sorts even with their strongest 11.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I believe. We're so lethal right now, only 5 points behind atm. Arsenal will undoubtedly implode because thats what they do. It will be between the two manchester teams at the end

croadyman

Those Arsenal goals were a killer yesterday. Honestly i think we need to beat the scousers at Anfield . We are in a title race then
We need some slip ups in very unlikely places from Arsenal before our game at Anfield

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm still in the boat of there's no chance we win the league with only Rashford being a goal threat. Need a few more players who are goal threats to actually do that.

Sanche7

Title race or not, this has been an unbelievable season, especially after the shite that was last season and the few seasons before that. To imagine that we are even in the title race conversation is something most of us wouldn't have even dreamt of after the horror start to the season. And all this while being in all the other competitions we are in, right after dominating barca at Camp Nou and right before facing Newcastle in the cup final.
I for one am ready to believe, not going to overthink it but I'll just try to enjoy this amazing season.
Bring on Barcelona

r0663664

Worships Man City
If we beat Liverpool then the title race is on. Arsenal will drop points, Leicester could easily beat Arsenal. We looks like champion when we win even when we play badly. I hope Martial can back soon just to provide cover for Rashford.

Pronewbie

Peep
I'm a believer that City will get stripped off the title if they won, so I see the race being between both Arsenal and us, I would have been a believer of us winning the title if not for the Eriksen injury and Casemiro's suspension. That 6-pointer at the Emirates cost us dearly. Arsenal have been without Partey and Jesus for long periods and are still top. The only way we win this if Odegaard and Partey get injuries now, and Rashford doesn't go down. 1 down, 1 more to go, I suppose.