Who would you bring as a DoF or in the MUFC back office ?

gaffs

I think that Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE has learnt his lesson that bicycles and football don't work well together and in typical Ratcliffe fashion he gave him a kick upstairs. That's what he did with his brother Bob who saw his role change from CEO of NICE to CEO of head of football were he now reports to Blanc CEO of INEOS Sport. I can't see Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE allowing Brailsford to be our CEO.
CEO - no way.

I said "oversee football operations", which is the current Murdough role.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Every single one in the team you listed have vast experience and proper track records at big clubs unlike our Murtough most notable experience is from Everton.
which is exactly what we need. We need a CEO who on one side knows what finances is all about but on the other hand he wouldn't look lost when football people talk about football. We need the finest sporting director the EPL can provide who also has experience of how to kickstart a football giant. We need an experienced DOF who has extensive contacts with various clubs, who ideally know what shit we're in and who can bring ideas from all across Europe and finally we need someone who had worked with the DOF, whose from Manchester but who also had worked in different leagues as well.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Max Eberl was fired from RBL due to lack of commitment less than a month ago. Apparantly he has another job lined up, believed to be Bayern. Dont think much has happened with Bayern, and he was recently linked to Liverpool.

I think he could be a dark horse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is it. To be honest a lot of sporting success is trial and error. This is why so many want the Glazers out as they just want to press the whole reset button. If you can't locate the foul stench in the house just tear it down. Liverpool and Arsenal are also being weighed down by their owners but have challenged recently, after much longer out of the spotlight than us. They just happen to have got it together, Liverpool in particular getting Klopp in.

We really need the right manager first. I want to see us get the best out of what we have and ETH isn't doing that at the moment. It would be good to see changes above him but we've no idea what effect it would actually have, all we know is we aren't winning the league and something is up.
Yeah. But even with ten hag, it's not clear if his ideas are wrong or there is too much shit around him for him to actually implement what he wants. Then there's the whole, does he know how to fix it point? I don't think it should be a 1 chance and you're out mentality, people can make mistakes, they just need to learn from their mistakes and gradually improve. As you say, it's trial and error with a fat slice of luck thrown in. I think it's too soon to say ten hag doesn't know how to fix things, but we can definitely say it hasn't been working this season. But hard to say that it's not heavily impacted by unique circumstances.

Hopefully Ratcliffe can push us in the right direction, bring some positive vibes throughout the club and whatever structure he implements actually works. But it often takes time to see results, and sometimes mistakes are made along the way.

devilish

CEO - no way.

I said "oversee football operations", which is the current Murdough role.
Brailsford had never been a DOF. He might be involved as consultant were he will be lecturing ETH about marginal gains and similar BS Brailsford and SJR love. However DOF is a whole different cup of tea mate. You need someone who understand football very well and whose got extensive contacts with many clubs, agencies, agents etc. That what United miss and what INEOS learnt the hard way when they left Brailsford and his mate Ian Moody saddle them with crap. SJR seem to have learnt his lesson since then. Brailsford was given a kick upstairs and Nice had hired Florent Ghisolfi whose a bit of a big name in French football.

gaffs

Brailsford had never been a DOF. He might be involved as consultant were he will be lecturing ETH about marginal gains and similar BS Brailsford and Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE love. However DOF is a whole different cup of tea mate. You need someone who understand football very well and whose got extensive contacts with many clubs, agencies, agents etc. That what United miss and what INEOS learnt the hard way when they left Brailsford and his mate Ian Moody saddle them with crap. Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE seem to have learnt his lesson since then. Brailsford was given a kick upstairs and Nice had hired Florent Ghisolfi whose a bit of a big name in French football.
I would never assume that Brailsford would be in the "hand on" DOF role. Simply a link man between someone like Paul Mitchell and Ratcliffe.

Plastic Evra

It's hard to imagine Brailsford is anything else than some hands off high flying eye of Moscow. In the cycling team he probably has a lot more clout and say for obvious reasons.

devilish

I would never assume that Brailsford would be in the "hand on" DOF role. Simply a link man between someone like Paul Mitchell and Ratcliffe.
Brailsford recent history had been terrible. There was the alleged doping scandal, Grenadiers had nosedived and his input in Nice including his genius idea to involve Moody was anything short to horrific. There were instances at Nice which would make our organization look flawless like for example when the manager failed to answer basic questions about new signing Ross Barkley. The times had recently wrote a damning article about the man as well.

In typical Ratcliffe fashion he kicked the incompetent person he like upstairs while bringing competent people to mop things around. He did the same when his brother messed up as well. Brailsford was appointed as director of sports. Meanwhile Blanc was hired as CEO of INEOS Sport allowing Brailsford to focus on ' world class performance management'. That kind of suggest that Brailsford is slowly being phased out which makes sense considering that he had some serious health issues

If Brailsford is moved to United then it would be a massive step down for him. He's currently director on everything sports related at INEOS and while United would play an important role in it, its still 1 team in which INEOS will own 25% in. I am not saying that it can't happen but if does happen then it must be at a very high position and it won't be CEO. Ratcliffe had burned his fingers on that and is hiring specialized CEOs each working independently. Considering everything, at the very best, Brailsford would be a director. There are 6 Glazers on the board. A 25% stake should award SJR two ie Brailsford and himself.

tomaldinho1

It's hard to imagine Brailsford is anything else than some hands off high flying eye of Moscow. In the cycling team he probably has a lot more clout and say for obvious reasons.
He seems a bit high risk because the marginal gains idea isn't particularly new, Sir Clive Woodward was a great believer in it when England won the RWC twenty odd years ago and it's something that sounds great but must be hell to do in reality. I'm not going to pretend I follow cycling but I would imagine it is much easier to look at a sport where the rider can't really move from a piece of equipment and then break down things from there into tiny segments to each improve on versus the chaos of football.

Plastic Evra

He seems a bit high risk because the marginal gains idea isn't particularly new, Sir Clive Woodward was a great believer in it when England won the RWC twenty odd years ago and it's something that sounds great but must be hell to do in reality. I'm not going to pretend I follow cycling but I would imagine it is much easier to look at a sport where the rider can't really move from a piece of equipment and then break down things from there into tiny segments to each improve on versus the chaos of football.
I'm not convinced the marginal gains (that was derided endlessly in skeptical cycling fan circles) are really the top shelf issue at United. For sure there's signs the training environment or framing could be improved upon (from the debate around Carrington or the rash of injuries) but I feel the problems are more fundamental (choice of recruits, team building, use of money, etc).

As you note it's a taller order to implement in football. IIRC one of the signs of hyper commitment to elite performances in cycling was having enough laundry machines following the team bus on Tours to efficiently wash jerseys for all (at USPS or Sky, I'm unsure). The price of entry to run a rich cycling operation, including rigorous scientific training, is a lot lower (50-60m a year all included now) than football -the revenue is thinner too, obviously-.

All that said, I was mostly saying that because Brailsford is a cycling man, long a huge figure at Sky/INEOS road cycling and he probably know most of the riders, DS or riders still. So when he's dropping on the Tour de France -as he did this year-. I can certainly imagine that if he offers tactical guidance even outside the scope of his current theorical job, no one is going to shut him out.

Wheato

I'd probably give our existing DoF a bit more time tbf.
He's actually been at the club 10 years. It was Murtough who picked Alexis Sanchez up from the airport. He's had his chance.

I think we should give Paul Mitchell a go. He's been working in central Europe for years, he knows the scouting networks and agents in Belgium, France, Germany and UK. He also has a bit of skin in the game being from Manchester.

He has a great track record for recruiting some top players. Sadio Mane, Son Heung-min, Kieran Trippier ,Toby Alderweireld, Christopher Nkunku...

tomaldinho1

I'm not convinced the marginal gains (that was derided endlessly in skeptical cycling fan circles) are really the top shelf issue at United. For sure there's signs the training environment or framing could be improved upon (from the debate around Carrington or the rash of injuries) but I feel the problems are more fundamental (choice of recruits, team building, use of money, etc).

As you note it's a taller order to implement in football. IIRC one of the signs of hyper commitment to elite performances in cycling was having enough laundry machines following the team bus on Tours to efficiently wash jerseys for all (at USPS or Sky, I'm unsure). The price of entry to run a rich cycling operation, including rigorous scientific training, is a lot lower (50-60m a year all included now) than football -the revenue is thinner too, obviously-.

All that said, I was mostly saying that because Brailsford is a cycling man, long a huge figure at Sky/INEOS road cycling and he probably know most of the riders, DS or riders still. So when he's dropping on the Tour de France -as he did this year-. I can certainly imagine that if he offers tactical guidance even outside the scope of his current theorical job, no one is going to shut him out.
Yeah it seems a hard thing to bring into football in any meaningful way.

If his remit is club performance in terms of back office, training ground infrastructure, better planning pre season tours etc. that is something I think could be very useful - basically constantly trying to improve how the actual clubs runs day to day. Maybe that could work but it would take a lot of time.

LuckyScout78

There are signs :

- You get to be very special
- You get to have really good and high luck and karma. If you could attract players like Bellingham and Haaland. 2 of world best players in football.
That kind of power to attract those world class players and gain a lot of profit by the selling.

so if possible. Just bring and get the guy that has the last decision on bringing Bellingham and Haaland.
It can be a person or a group at Dortmund.
Dortmund's CEO or D.O.F. The most impact person when it come to transfer and players logistic.

I want to bring and sign that person/group to United

+ Brighton is/are doing a great job too. Peoples there. Like Mitoma. I never heard of him before.

But again. The special guy, power, factor and person/group at Dortmund. I would definitely google and take a closer look of them.
Make a research of them. How on earth? Could they brought Bellingham and Haaland to Dortmund? That are mine questions.

Big Andy

Bloke
Is expertise is on the marketing side, after obtaining a masters post football retirment. He later became CEO.

VDS as CEO would be a popular choice, but im not sure if he is experienced enough or if INEOS have a say in recruiting a new CEO.
Plus he might not want to considering he’s recovering from a brain issue

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Rangnick.
This would be my choice, he knows how deep the behind the scenes rot is at the club, didn’t mince his words, yeah not the best coach, but then it’s been shown no one can really coach this club at the moment.
so yeah a proven DOF who knowes the crap they are getting themselves in for. Perfect