g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who would you have as our new manager

Sally Cinnamon

if Moyes was to go before the end of the season or in the summer?

I think he'll be here next season, but I'd try and get van Gaal in the summer if we don't get 4th, which is likely.

Ludens the Red

Diego Simeone without a doubt.

Injected a winning mentality into Atletico, he's competing with Real Madrid and Barcelona with an embarrassingly inferior squad.
They're difficult to beat, he's young, helped some of their younger players progress, tactically knows what he's doing and he's already won a few major trophies.

Basically the anti Moyes.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If they WERE available: Pep, Mourinho, Kloop (in that order)
Choices available NOW: Hiddink, Heynckes

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Dream impossible choices: Mourinho, Pep, Klopp

Possible choices A: Bielsa, Van Gaal, Simeone, Hiddink, Heycknes

Possible choices B: Martinez, Pochetino, Laudrup, Prandelli

Romantic choice: Ole

Reactions: Wibble

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Klopp - but I do think Moyes will turn it around

Sally Cinnamon

Simeone is a great shout no doubt, doing an unreal job at Atletico but I was thinking he might not be tempted to leave them just yet. Van Gaal and Hiddink are two that have seen it all and done it all that are available. Heynckes too but for some reason I just wouldn't fancy him for it as much.

Sally Cinnamon

I'd literally tear my dick off if Ole got it, but that's just because I fancy the feck out of the wee fox.

Dominos

When Fergie decided he was retiring last December our shortlist should've looked something like Van Gaal, Simeone, Pelligrini, Klopp, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Pep, Conte, Heynckes, Mourinho.

Take your pick from whoever is available from them in the summer.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I honestly dont get why Fergie didnt reach out to Pep when he decided he was going to retire in December. That is when Bayern signed him up.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Simeone would be my first pick. Then Klopp. Neither are likely to become available anytime soon however. I'd have a serious look at Laudrup then to be honest. He plays progressive, modern, attacking football. And I believe he'd have an aura about him due to being such a great player, I would hope the squad could feed off that and gain some sort of confidence. Moyes has drained most, if not all, of the confidence and expectation from Manchester United. He's not up to the task, he never was and he never will be. A good manager in his own right but Everton was his level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dream impossible choices: Mourinho, Pep, Klopp

Possible choices A: Bielsa, Van Gaal, Simeone, Hiddink, Heycknes

Possible choices B: Martinez, Pochetino, Laudrup, Prandelli

Romantic choice: Ole
Good list. Although I think you can put Ole at the front of the poosible choices B list, and you can add in Frank de Boer in one of those lists. Young, has Ajax playing great football and I think he'll become a top manager. Heynckes has no chance of coming out of retirement I think. Also Ottmar Hitzfeld, currently Switzerland manager might be tempted to leave after the world cup might be tempted for one last club (although he did reject us in 02 since he couldn't speak english all that well). There's plenty of managers who'd love to come to United I think. The players we have, the size of the club, the stadium, the fans, the history, and the fact that they're guaranteed to get time, at the very least an entire season would make it an enticing prospect for any manager.

Personally, I'd go for one of the older, experienced ones to steady the ship and get us back up there challenging for all titles until they retire and then bring in Ole in 3-4 years. That gives us a choice of Hitzfeld, Van Gaal, Hiddink and Bielsa (to a lesser extent). Think we'd manage to win the champions league within the next few seasons with them too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I honestly dont get why Fergie didnt reach out to Pep when he decided he was going to retire in December. That is when Bayern signed him up.
Pep was my first choice, followed by Klopp. I got behind Moyes 100% after his appointment, but i really thought all this 'Fergie and Pep meet in NYC' had something to it.

westlife4ever

Klopp. His brand of football is really exciting. I think it suits our current set of players too.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If Moyes is forced to resign or sacked halfway through the season then that will limit our choices somewhat.

Provided that he quits Iran after the World Cup a management team centred around Queiroz and Giggs/Nicky Butt sounds like a sustainable choice, at least in teh short term.

2 man midfield

I'd love to see Neville get the job. One day in the future though, not now. Respect, work ethic, tactical nouse, die hard red. He's got it all, reading his book you get the idea he'd be excellent at running his own club, not just picking the team. He's wasted at sky, no matter how good he is at it.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I'd love to see Neville get the job. One day in the future though, not now. Respect, work ethic, tactical nouse, die hard red. He's got it all, reading his book you get the idea he'd be excellent at running his own club, not just picking the team. He's wasted at sky, no matter how good he is at it.
Save for any real practical experience in such a position, although i'm assuming you wouldn't want him to jump right form the Sky commentary booth into the dugout at OT.

For the present he is a pundit more than anything else. To what extent does he even get his hands dirty in his role for the national team? Perhaps after Brazil he might consider taking up a post at United somewhere.

2 man midfield

Save for any real practical experience in such a position, although i'm assuming you wouldn't want him to jump right form the Sky commentary booth into the dugout at OT.

For the present he is a pundit more than anything else. To what extent does he even get his hands dirty in his role for the national team? Perhaps after Brazil he might consider taking up a post at United somewhere.
Exactly, which is why i didn't want him to take the role now. He certainly has the makings of a very good manager imo.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
It should have been Guardiola but barring a meltdown in Munchen he won't be going anywhere for a while. Klopp I would have liked initially but I am not so sure right now. Jose would have been my choice if he didnt have the habit of leaving after a few seasons

KiD MoYeS

It should have been Guardiola but barring a meltdown in Munchen he won't be going anywhere for a while. Klopp I would have liked initially but I am not so sure right now. Jose would have been my choice if he didnt have the habit of leaving after a few seasons
Moyes' successor will only stick around a few years, it's the modern game.

2 man midfield

We'd also have to bench Mata. :nervous:

KiD MoYeS

Something the club has yet to learn apparently. However I would like a happy medium. Has Jose been at a club for more than 5 seasons yet?
No, the most you'd get out of him would be two or three seasons. Having said that he's sweating for the United job so he might well want to stick around here longer...

2 man midfield

He did didn't he. I doubt he would leave Chelsea now though would he?
I can't see it. The big thing for him was the ego boost of being "The chosen one" i suppose. Following a tail-tucked Moyes isn't really the same.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Exactly, which is why i didn't want him to take the role now. He certainly has the makings of a very good manager imo.
I definitely agree, he understands the game better than any pundit I see regularly and seems completely down to earth. Of course for us he would be an even better fit because he adores the club. I would love him here in some capacity.

KiD MoYeS

I wouldn't like Neville. Judging by his comments on Sky he'd play a 'keeper and ten wingers.

2 man midfield

I definitely agree, he understands the game better than any pundit I see regularly and seems completely down to earth. Of course for us he would be an even better fit because he adores the club. I would love him here in some capacity.
He turned down a coaching role here iirc, but he does work with England. I hope he gives Sky another five or so years then has a real go at management. He should have made enough of a name for himself in the media to have some sort of role waiting if it doesn't work out.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Klopp, Simeone, Larry White maybe. Klopp would be the ideal. He's a weirdo but at least he has some personality and ideas about football.