g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who would you have as our new manager

stevoc

Yes I agree I cant give a football argument because I don't try to second guess professionals. However much they have you believe I'm not convinced any fan could walk into a Man Utd dressing room and improve things either, much as they can pontificate on tactics, coaching and strategy.
The average football fan of course not, but a good football manager could improve things easily.

itso 7

Yes I agree I cant give a football argument because I don't try to second guess professionals. However much they have you believe I'm not convinced any fan could walk into a Man Utd dressing room and improve things either, much as they can pontificate on tactics, coaching and strategy.

Moyes may not be right but I think he deserves time. I'd rather give managers time to make a mark and suffer a couple of bad seasons doing so, than risk our club become a chop and change organisation.
Have the severe financial implications of Moyes' failure crossed your mind ? If one season out of the Champions League turns to two the financial blow to this club could be mortal, sponsors will get itchy, the high wages we pay Rooney,Mata, Van Persie et al and the debt will begin to count . Imo Moyes is a risk we can no longer afford .

I'm also sure that, for Moyes and whoever comes after, the title is not the big target but fourth is and for Moyes to achieve exactly what he managed at Everton last year but using better players and spending considerably more is simply not good enough . The expectations are not that unrealistic to make it an impossible job and I'm sure a better manager will not only survive but thrive in such an environment as United . Any manager worth his salt will achieve fourth after spending seventy million pounds on the reigning Champions .

REDMULLERS

Plenty of fans on forums seem to think that there is guaranteed success of we get rid of Moyes. I'm afraid it isn't. If we go along with your suggestion we would be sacking managers every 6 or 8 months, wrecking the stability of the club, paying out tens of millions each year in severance packages and putting Utd's long term future in jeopardy.

Yes Moyes hasn't done well but he has shown many qualities that mark him down as a true red - resilience, stubbornness, hard work. If he can manage to rise to the new demands and type of club United is, he could be another great, and fans will be looking back regretting calling for his head, abusing him, humiliating him etc

Moyes hasn't yet settled and fans aren't helping by flying childish banners etc
Why do you appoint somebody to a top job? Top level experience, track record of success, charisma, leadership, winning mentality, professional excellence etc. You maximise your chances of success by ensuring that the chosen candidate ticks all the boxes. I don't altogether blame Moyes, I blame the process of his appointment which was flawed from the outset. Based on the usual criteria, he should have been nowhere near the Utd job. I remember Gill commenting a couple of years before Sir Alex retired on his potential replacement and he said that the chosen candidate would have to have a track record of success at the highest level and have managed successfully in European competition. What happened?

The key mistakes have been: allowing Gill / Sir Alex to leave at the same time; the flawed selection process which resulted in Sir Alex recommending Moyes and the Glazers accepting that recommendation without a comprehensive appointment process befitting a club the size of Utd; and, the immediate sacking of the Utd coaching staff to be replaced by Lumsden, Neville and Round. That combination of factors explains our fall from grace this season.

I'm sure Moyes is a good bloke but he is out of his depth and no amount of 'settling in' is suddenly going to give him the skill-set necessary to take Utd forward. IMO there is a reason that Moyes was at Everton for 10 years, did a great job but still no 'big' club went for him, and that is because they did their research, went through their appointment processes and concluded that he did not have the X factor to make the step up, or in the case of Utd several steps up.

PS The childish banner was exactly that and played into Moyes hands.

Jaapster

Why do you appoint somebody to a top job? Top level experience, track record of success, charisma, leadership, winning mentality, professional excellence etc. You maximise your chances of success by ensuring that the chosen candidate ticks all the boxes. I don't altogether blame Moyes, I blame the process of his appointment which was flawed from the outset. Based on the usual criteria, he should have been nowhere near the Utd job. I remember Gill commenting a couple of years before Sir Alex retired on his potential replacement and he said that the chosen candidate would have to have a track record of success at the highest level and have managed successfully in European competition. What happened?

The key mistakes have been: allowing Gill / Sir Alex to leave at the same time; the flawed selection process which resulted in Sir Alex recommending Moyes and the Glazers accepting that recommendation without a comprehensive appointment process befitting a club the size of Utd; and, the immediate sacking of the Utd coaching staff to be replaced by Lumsden, Neville and Round. That combination of factors explains our fall from grace this season.

I'm sure Moyes is a good bloke but he is out of his depth and no amount of 'settling in' is suddenly going to give him the skill-set necessary to take Utd forward. IMO there is a reason that Moyes was at Everton for 10 years, did a great job but still no 'big' club went for him, and that is because they did their research, went through their appointment processes and concluded that he did not have the X factor to make the step up, or in the case of Utd several steps up.

PS The childish banner was exactly that and played into Moyes hands.
I cant post anything more on the subject its just been done . Spot on .

Empire

I think realistically the only clubs he would leave Everton for would be Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Man City. One of those four offered him a job, one clearly were content with their manager (Arsenal) so that leaves Chelsea and City.

Personally I'm not surprised Chelsea didn't go for him.

I can't see City wanting to take a risk when they have similar candidates with European experience available.

I'm not sure whether Spurs would interest him however that's beside the point, Levy wouldn't want him anyway when he had a manager with European experience in AVB available. Timothy is merely a caretaker and I can see Spurs pursuing Louis and monitoring the situation of Jurgen and Carlo with the view of offering them a contract should they resign or get sacked.

Experience at the most elite level is a critical element for an elite job and many companies understandably require it therefore it does not surprise me one bit he wasn't offered a job because he came with a risk. United have been different willing to overlook the lack of experience and undergo short term difficulty with the view of long term glory.

That said, I am surprised David Moyes knowing Everton wouldn't compete for top four didn't leave for Germany or Italy where he could manage a side that had the finances to challenge for top four with the view of eventually joining a side that could win the title. He didn't crave being a winner and was content challenging for Europa.

It's simple really, the board can now investigate where it went wrong and what the players honest opinions are of him. If they respect him and think he is a good leader then I have no problem with giving him another season. If the players do not respect him and the board don't think he is a leader yet give him another season anyway then may god help this football club.

Martinez has gate crashed the race for top four. I am not saying he is a better manager than Moyes because he might not be able to build a team like Moyes or build a team that has a solid defensive foundation however he is a better tactician and so has taken a well built and well drilled team to another level by making them also tactically sound. Every great leader and manager should know his limitations and delegate to those with greater expertise. Had David Moyes signed a high quality tactician at Everton and let him have a strong role in training then it stands to reason Everton very well could have performed better. As it is, he thought he was good enough to coach them.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He was heavily linked with the Spurs job before Villas-Boas got it, whether he wasn't too interested himself or Spurs cooled on him I'm not sure. I was looking at Everton's league performances since Moyes took over though, and really they hadn't made any progress of note for a good few years prior to this season. Always on around the same points, same goals scored, same against, same area of the league. I've seen a few people say "maybe Moyes would've achieved the same results as Martinez this season", well, maybe, but I don't see why this season would've been any different to the past 5 they failed to improve in. We're also getting told the league's improving to justify our tumbling down it, so something doesn't add up there.

Red Harry

Anyone think that Mourinho is trying to get fired from Chelsea so he can be available for United?

The behaviour toward players over the last week has been unbelievable even for Mourinho. Maybe someone has put an idea in his head that the job might be coming up and is looking for a way out of Chelsea that protects his "relationship" with blues fans?

stevoc

Might be a bit of a stretch that hes actually trying to get himself fired, thats just Mourinho being Mourinho. He is a bit of a nutcase at the best of times.

Last edited:

Kaos

Anyone think that Mourinho is trying to get fired from Chelsea so he can be available for United?

The behaviour toward players over the last week has been unbelievable even for Mourinho. Maybe someone has put an idea in his head that the job might be coming up and is looking for a way out of Chelsea that protects his "relationship" with blues fans?
No chance. Its Mourinho, he'll just leave if he fancies it. He's not going to care what Chelsea's plastic EDL fans are going to think.

Kakeru

If you ask me, I feel that the falling out at Real Madrid left more (permanent) psychological damage on Mourinho than we expected when he got sacked by Los Blancos.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I like him even more.
I'm more than willing for United to spend ALL our summer transfer budget to sign this guy, and not signing any player. I'll even give up signing Ronaldo for Klopp as our new manager. He's like the German version of (younger) Sir Alex.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ancelotti? After the last 2 league games, he's under real pressure to deliver La Decima, so quite likely to be available come the summer.