g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Who would you have as our new manager

Varun

Staff
We could offer him a very lucrative contract, he may be happy to get more for his efforts. If FFP is for real then United will have a large advantage over Liverpool because our commercial and stadium revenue are considerably greater. We can use that to pay Rodgers more than Liverpool can afford to.

Likewise we could offer a bigger budget per year for transfers.

I don't know how things are at Liverpool as far as control over transfers and finances to resign players, but we might be able to offer him more control.

It's a bigger job, Rodgers might fancy the challenge.
So basically a higher wage and a bigger transfer warchest.

I dont think wages are that big a differentiating factor when it comes to managers because unless we pay something daft, there's no reason Pool cant match it.

I just dont see him destroying all he can have at Pool to come to us for something like this.

I do hope Barca come calling though, that he wont turn down.

Bojan11

Rodgers? Lets not go overboard.

Bigger test will be next season when they juggling Europe and premier league together. Gerrard has played most league games. Bet he won't manage that next season with Europe.

Red Stone

My first choice in May was Klopp and that hasn't changed changed since. He has everything we need in abundance. Match made in heaven.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Rodgers? Lets not go overboard.

Bigger test will be next season when they juggling Europe and premier league together. Gerrard has played most league games. Bet he won't manage that next season with Europe.
There aren't a lot of obvious choices. I don't get the impression Klopp is eager to leave Dortmund.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If we can't get Klopp, someone short term would be perfect. Van Gaal is a good option, hopefully hasn't agreed a deal with Spurs.

A1X

Come on Jurgen Klopp
Do better than the flop
We'll go wild, wild wild!
We'll go wild, wild wild!

If we can't get Klopp then Van Gaal takes over until we can get Klopp.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Apparently there is a 4 man shortlist, does anyone have a link to the Guardian original story?

Diego Simeone, Carlo Ancelotti on Manchester United shortlist?

Manchester United have reportedly drawn up a four-man shortlist with a view to replacing David Moyes at the end of the season.

Moyes took charge of the Premier League champions last summer following Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, but has come under increasing pressure due to a lacklustre campaign.

As it stands, United are seventh in the Premier League table, while they were knocked out of the FA Cup and League Cup by Swansea City and Sunderland respectively.

According to The Guardian, the club's hierarchy have prepared for Moyes's possible exit by drawing up a replacement list that included Real Madrid's Carlo Ancelotti, Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp and Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal.

United are in Champions League quarter-final action against Bayern Munich this evening.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/simeone-ancelotti-on-united-shortlist_147553.html

Kaos

Apparently there is a 4 man shortlist, does anyone have a link to the Guardian original story?

Manchester United have reportedly drawn up a four-man shortlist with a view to replacing David Moyes at the end of the season.

Moyes took charge of the Premier League champions last summer following Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement, but has come under increasing pressure due to a lacklustre campaign.

As it stands, United are seventh in the Premier League table, while they were knocked out of the FA Cup and League Cup by Swansea City and Sunderland respectively.

According to The Guardian, the club's hierarchy have prepared for Moyes's possible exit by drawing up a replacement list that included Real Madrid's Carlo Ancelotti, Atletico Madrid's Diego Simeone, Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp and Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal.

United are in Champions League quarter-final action against Bayern Munich this evening.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/news/simeone-ancelotti-on-united-shortlist_147553.html
Would be delighted if that was our actual shortlist.

Klopp and Simeone :drool:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If I were a united fan, I wouldn't even necessarily look for a top name. There's great managerial talent in the league. You just chose the wrong one.

Should have snapped Martinez while he was still at Wigan, but it's not too late to get him. Lambert is another one.

soapythecat

If I were a united fan, I wouldn't even necessarily look for a top name. There's great managerial talent in the league. You just chose the wrong one.

Should have snapped Martinez while he was still at Wigan, but it's not too late to get him. Lambert is another one.
You can't April fools after lunchtime!

I'd agree with what you are saying about a top name. Not that i'm saying we should sack Moyes, but if we did, I'm still not sure Klopp, Simeone or Anchelotti would come to United due to commitments to current clubs.

If you want your team to play good passing, pressing football then why not punt on Laudrup? With a good side, I think he could mirror what Martinez has achieved at Everton. His Swansea side played good football but lacked enough to control games and kill sides off. Wouldn't be a problem with this United side.

I expect a slating, but this is just if Moyes was sacked. I don't think he will and I'm happy for him to stay as I think we will be much better next term.

redtilldead123

Give Moyes next season to prove himself with his own team, if United aren't challenging for the title or at least showing significant progress then it might be time to call it a day.

Then see who is available, it is too early to speculate at this point.

stevoc

Well if true it can only be a positive that we are keeping our options open and planning for life after Moyes should he be asked to leave in the summer which lets be honest here and not kid ourselves is a very real possibility at this point, would we very worrying if the people running our club just blindly stuck by a failing manager without a contingency plan in place. Just a case of wait and see what happens now i guess.

Of that list i would have Ancelotti always liked Carlo even at chelsea top manager and man, Simeone looks like he will become a top manager but not speaking english would rule him out for me. Klopp i can't see leaving Dortmund from everything i have read. And Van Gaal could be a good option for a few years to set us back on course wouldn't mind him at all.

Ubik

That's the Guardian's rumour mill, which usually contains little-to-no truth. Alas.

Bojan11

Yes because Moyes is a top name.

I hope we go all out for a top name. If not, Potchetinno will do.

stevoc

Well fair point but at this stage all we have are rumours to give us an idea of what will happen this summer with Moyes.

Bojan11

Give Moyes next season to prove himself with his own team, if United aren't challenging for the title or at least showing significant progress then it might be time to call it a day.

So every new manager needs their own team?

He was given a very good team and spent £70m on top of that.

Drifter

American

They must have read the cafe.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Yes because Moyes is a top name.

I hope we go all out for a top name. If not, Potchetinno will do.
Pochettino is another good shout for managers in the league who could step up.

My point was that whilst Moyes was a not-big-name who isn't good enough, it doesn't necessarily follow that the right candidate should be a big name.

A1X

I would take any of those but in descending order of want...

Klopp
Van Gaal
Ancelotti
Simeone (purely based on that he is less experienced)

Plus the Guardian are usually pretty clued up. Could it be that at long, long last things might actually be happening?

Ubik

Pochettino is another good shout for managers in the league who could step up.

My point was that whilst Moyes was a not-big-name who isn't good enough, it doesn't necessarily follow that the right candidate should be a big name.
They would need to be a proven winner with a personality that can fill (some of) the void left by Fergie. I'm sure there are smaller names out there that fit that description, but they'd be hard to find.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I would take any of those but in descending order of want...

Klopp
Van Gaal
Ancelotti
Simeone (purely based on that he is less experienced)

Plus the Guardian are usually pretty clued up. Could it be that at long, long last things might actually be happening?
It was in their Rumour Mill where they gather, well rumours, from other sources. The whole thing is pretty tongue in cheek because they know most of the stuff is bollocks, so I wouldn't take it seriously.

itso 7

Is that the way you really want us to operate ? Buy a completely new team for every new manager and should he fail with this new team then what ? We don't have a ''money is no problem'' benefactor like City and our only realistic chance lies in the efficient use of our resources and spending loads of money to prop up a failed manager sadly does not qualify as such . Moyes should have done much better with the squad Fergie left him and certainly after spending £65m on players .

I like him but the club should come first and if we know that what he has achieved isn't the best we could have achieved, that we aren't any closer to noticing any promising sign from performances then why should we continue ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I've gone a bit off Simeone after hearing that he is influenced by players' star signs.

Last edited:

redtilldead123

Is that the way you really want us to operate ? Buy a completely new team for every new manager and should he fail with this new team then what ? We don't have a ''money is no problem'' benefactor like City and our only realistic chance lies in the efficient use of our resources and spending loads of money to prop up a failed manager sadly does not qualify as such . Moyes should have done much better with the squad Fergie left him and certainly after spending £65m on players .

I like him but the club should come first and if we know that what he has achieved isn't the best we could have achieved, that we aren't any closer to noticing any promising sign from performances then why should we continue ?
Plenty of fans on forums seem to think that there is guaranteed success of we get rid of Moyes. I'm afraid it isn't. If we go along with your suggestion we would be sacking managers every 6 or 8 months, wrecking the stability of the club, paying out tens of millions each year in severance packages and putting Utd's long term future in jeopardy.

Yes Moyes hasn't done well but he has shown many qualities that mark him down as a true red - resilience, stubbornness, hard work. If he can manage to rise to the new demands and type of club United is, he could be another great, and fans will be looking back regretting calling for his head, abusing him, humiliating him etc

Moyes hasn't yet settled and fans aren't helping by flying childish banners etc

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Shouldn't imagine there was a huge choice of applicants when Fergie retired.......that maybe why we got Moyes. I've never really held with the "Chosen One" stuff that the club put out, believing it to be their too obvious attempt to rally support for Moyes' appointment.

My take on things is that many other class managers would loved to have become manager of Manchester United but very, very few (1 probably) would have wanted to take over directly from SAF. We haven't got that problem now, because whoever takes over will take over from Moyes and they can only improve on his performance.

If we get another manager (pleeeease Glazers) the board could always try asking the players who their preference would be. Personally I would be happy with any of those 4 the Guardian have listed although there are other good ones around no doubt, but I'll trust the board because first and foremost I'm mainly an ABM.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

If he can't get the best out of the very good players that he has already then he's hardly liikely to be able to get the best out of any others he may buy for United. Giving Moyes ANY more of our money to spend is futile. You need more than strength of character to be manager of United and Moyes has just not got anything else in his locker.

Ubik

Plenty of fans on forums seem to think that there is guaranteed success of we get rid of Moyes. I'm afraid it isn't. If we go along with your suggestion we would be sacking managers every 6 or 8 months, wrecking the stability of the club, paying out tens of millions each year in severance packages and putting Utd's long term future in jeopardy.

Yes Moyes hasn't done well but he has shown many qualities that mark him down as a true red - resilience, stubbornness, hard work. If he can manage to rise to the new demands and type of club United is, he could be another great, and fans will be looking back regretting calling for his head, abusing him, humiliating him etc

Not guaranteed success, just vastly improved chances if we pick the right guy. Interestingly, someone recently posted the cost comparison between being out the champions league for a season, and Abramovich's payouts to their harem of firees. About the same amount, and Chelsea are the extreme case. That's what puts United's long term future in jeopardy, if we don't make it back in next year we're in trouble. And it's going to take £100m+ worth of signings to achieve that apparently, given Moyes' grave assessment of our squad strength? I want stability under a great manager as much as the next fan - which is why I'm extremely unenthusiastic about Moyes staying on.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Well done. You've successfully portrayed David Moyes as the Phil Neville of managers.

Which he is in every way.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Why would he leave Real? Or is he due to get the sack at the end of the season?
You never know, he could win the league and they could sack him. It's Real. Nobody stays there too long though, so maybe if not this summer then in a year or 2. I do want him to manage us one day, and amazingly he's only 54 now. Maybe Van Gaal for a year and then Ancelotti would be fine by me.

Bojan11

No. Fans think getting the champions to 7th place is unacceptable. Especially after spending £70m.

If Moyes was in 4th place then not many fans would be calling for him. Infact if we were in 5th place and actually playing decent stuff, I would say keep him.

The fact we in 7th and our style of play is terrible.

Chelsea have won trophies hiring and firing. But fact is our situation is totally different to them. They sacked coaches after being second or fourth. Moyes is in 7th.

Many qualities that mark him down as a true red? You must be joking.

itso 7

One huge flaw in your argument, you can't state one football based reason we should persist with him and you relying on Moyes growing into the role, what are the chances of that ? Why not try to get a more natural fit who doesn't to change who he is to succeed here ?

And we have to accept that Sir Alex was special, a one off and it's impossible to recreate such a dynasty again . However we may resist we have joined the rest of the world and whilst we may not open the revolving door in the manager's office we shouldn't also be planning our twenty fifth anniversary with the new manager on the first date, we have to be open to the possibility of him being the wrong one . Rather than plotting a long term relationship with the manager the manager must first prove himself worthy .

redtilldead123

One huge flaw in your argument, you can't state one football based reason we should persist with him and you relying on Moyes growing into the role, what are the chances of that ? Why not try to get a more natural fit who doesn't to change who he is to succeed here ?

And we have to accept that Sir Alex was special, a one off and it's impossible to recreate such a dynasty again . However we may resist we have joined the rest of the world and whilst we may not open the revolving door in the manager's office we shouldn't also be planning our twenty fifth anniversary with the new manager on the first date, we have to be open to the possibility of him being the wrong one . Rather than plotting a long term relationship with the manager the manager must first prove himself worthy .
Yes I agree I cant give a football argument because I don't try to second guess professionals. However much they have you believe I'm not convinced any fan could walk into a Man Utd dressing room and improve things either, much as they can pontificate on tactics, coaching and strategy.

Moyes may not be right but I think he deserves time. I'd rather give managers time to make a mark and suffer a couple of bad seasons doing so, than risk our club become a chop and change organisation.

Bojan11

Yes I agree I cant give a football argument because I don't try to second guess professionals. However much they have you believe I'm not convinced any fan could walk into a Man Utd dressing room and improve things either, much as they can pontificate on tactics, coaching and strategy.

Moyes may not be right but I think he deserves time. I'd rather give managers time to make a mark and suffer a couple of bad seasons doing so, than risk our club become a chop and change organisation.

What? You know Moyes could potentially financially ruin us too? All these sponsors won't want to be linked with a failing club. No champions league. Could potentially waste £200m on players. It's great you willing to suffer a few bad seasons. But let me tell you our club financially can't do that with the debt.

bucky

Why does he deserve time in your opinion?