Who's leaving this summer?

Lyng

Well you asked for who we think is realistic and that is probably not as many as a lot of us would like to see.

My guess for realistic

Casemiro
Varane
Martial
AwB
Linde
Maguire
Amrabat
Malacia
Donny
Sancho
Greenwood
Eriksen

Personally I would probably keep Amrabat and try to get rid of McT instead.

Borninthe80ts

Evans should definitely be extended for another year. Even if he only plays cup games, minutes here and there, with our luck at CB we'll need the extra body. And I can't imagine his wages are exorbitant.
I don't think Amrabat is the solution, but as a midfielder for £10m it's a no brainer for me. A squad player that can do a job is something we need.
Bruno I'd only let go if we get an incredible offer...I'm talking £60m+ and we should sell.

The rest I agree with.
I think these kinds of purchases and or renewals will be just as important as the big deals in and out. The reason we have struggled for me is the lack of consistency when the big players are out, which is regularly.

Both have shown that they can play a role and with big numbers leaving I believe a few of these players with the some of the youngsters can supplement the main 15 to 18 regular starters.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Well you asked for who we think is realistic and that is probably not as many as a lot of us would like to see.

My guess for realistic

Casemiro
Varane
Martial
AwB
Linde
Maguire
Amrabat
Malacia
Donny
Sancho
Greenwood
Eriksen

That's probably quite close to what will happen.

Unless we get 3 centre backs in, I reckon one of Maguire or Lindelof will stay.

BorisManUtd

You'd expect many players to leave...

Wan Bissaka, Varane, Lindelof, Casemiro, Amrabat, McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial.

That's 10 players, some of them on huge wages. McTominay probably won't leave before we buy a couple od midfielders and even then it's possible he remains at he club. Same with Lindelof. No one is buying Antony given his wages so best we could hope for is a loan. Rashford has a long contract and huge wage so he's staying surely. Van de Beek injured so will probably leave January or June 2025. I'm all for keeping Evans for one more year. No chance both Shaw and Malacia leave and it's possible both stay actually.

Gandalf

Assuming all of the expiring contracts are gone I think the following will be sales this summer;

AWB - We are obviously after an upgrade at RB to rotate with Dalot and he has 1 year on his contract so cash in
Carreras - Benfica allegedly have already confirmed they will exercise the 6M buy option
Lindelof - With Varane and Evans gone we need to keep one veteran for depth and I think it will be Maguire, Victor will be the easier one to sell due to his more affordable wage and suitability for continental teams
Casemiro - Strongly linked to Saudi and clearly not part of our long term strategy
Hannibal - Not made the grade, not much point in another loan. A deal like the one we got for Chong is likely
Pellistri - Not good enough but proven a solid option for La Liga in his latest loan, should be easy to move
Greenwood - We badly need to turn the page on this one, no point in another season with Getafe, take the best deal we can get and be done with it
Sancho - Might seem a stretch but his rep has been rehabilitated at Dortmund and a deal is there to be made, he will need to be willing to give a little in terms of wage demands but there may be a couple of clubs interested and if he is smart he will take any permanent exit route he can find

I would love to offload Antony but with so much left on the books in terms of amoritization and with his stock so low there is no realistic way to get him out without hamstringing ourselves financially. He will remain as a backup or head out on loan and we will pray he can rebuild his value but it is likely we will be releasing him on a free in 3 years time, a Nicholas Pepe of our very own.

I would also like to see Rashford move on at this point but again, the combination of his astronomical wage and his season long slump makes him unsellable right now. We can just hope that whatever reset we go through this summer triggers another spell of good form for next season and if it does then pray INEOS are switched on enough to cash in when his stock is high.

ManRed

This is the list of players I would like to see:

Martial
Varane
Casemiro
Eriksen
Rashford
McTominay
Pellistri
Hannibal
Sancho
Donny
Greenwood?

Keep Anthony, Evans and Wan Bissaka for another year.

Next year

New ST/ Hoijlund

LW/Garnacho --- Bruno/Mount --- Amad/Anthony

Mainoo/CM DM/Amrabat

LB/Shaw/Malacia -- Martinez/Lindelof -- Maguire/CB/Evans --- Dalot / Wan Bissaka

That's 6 new signings which is a lot in one window if we can achieve.
ST / LW / CM / DM / LB / CB

DavelinaJolie

Leaving on a free:
Martial
Varane
Williams
Heaton
Evans

Sales:
AWB
Lindelof
Casemiro
Sancho
Eriksen (possibly on a free)
Greenwood

Back to parent club:
Amrabat

I would hope Pellistri and Hannibal are sold as well as I just don't hink they are good enough. I imagine the fees for them (particularly Hannibal) will cause a degree of annoyance for some, but they are really on the periphery and don't really affect the squad so selling them I don't think causes any problems in terms of needing to replace.

I'm just looking at the players I think are really likely to go, or need to be moved on most urgently.

And I have to admit, looking at that list, which I thought I was fairly conservative with, I don't think the club can turn around many more sales in a window with a major tournament on. I also think it leaves midfield very shallow and resources might need to be pooled there.

Yakuza_devils

We can't sell Antony. There will be no buyer with his fees and wages.

Keep him and try him at LB rotate with Shaw. For LW rotate with Amad. We need cover as we are selling Sancho and Greenwood.

Bright_Eyes

I have zero confidence that INEOS will be able to clean-out the garbage we have amassed over the last decade.

But just a reminder, this is what world-class players look like. Our overpaid donkeys, who somehow think they are world-class are nowhere near this

https://youtube.com/shorts/WVFfueT42jg?si=oOqODbquM0uzyOtf
Not saying any of our players are world class, but if Iniesta is the level then almost nobody playing is world class which makes no sense.

Todd

Every summer we all hope for X number of players to be cleared out, and what inevitably happens is maybe one quarter or one third of those players actually gets cleared out.

So, here's a list of guys I would like to see cleared out, with the bolded ones being my realistic guess at who actually will be, and I'm being optimistic here:

Wan-Bissaka
Varane
Lindelof
Evans
Malacia
Casemiro
Eriksen
van de Beek

Antony
Sancho
Greenwood
Rashford
Pellistri
Martial

I think we all know that Casemiro needs to go but I have a sinking feeling nobody's gonna take those wages on and we'll be stuck with him.

tjb

What should happen is that we should have a top 23-man squad with at least 15 top players. The current team's profile includes a lot of youth, as well as some older legs that may need to be replaced based on their performance this season.

I would let get of the below:

Lindelof, Varane, Martial, Amrabat, Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, AWB, Evans, Shoretire, Forson, Greenwood, Sancho, Hannibal, VDB and Brandon Williams.

I would keep the controversial squad picks of Maguire, Mctominay and Rashford.

• Maguire: He's been good this season, and while not being the finest centre defender in the world, he still has a lot of quality. I wouldn't consider him a certain starter, but he is a better player and leader than Lindelof. This season has once again demonstrated how devastating injuries can be to a team. It only makes sense to have a player who is committed to the cause, has a relatively low injury rate, and possesses a fair level of quality. He would be the third or fourth choice for that position.

• Mctominay: If there were alternatives, I would sell Mctominay. I don't believe he's good enough. However, there is no way in which we could recruit more than two midfielders, unless one is available for free. Mainoo has made tremendous progress and would be an excellent fit in the rotation role that Mctominay filled for much of the season. He has plenty of energy and is highly adaptable. The objective is to keep him until the next available window to sell or when a new youth prospect demonstrates that they can fill his role.

• Rashford: He's a solid player with a level of skill that none of our other attackers can consistently display right now. That is within Rashford's capabilities. He has shown it previously. We have too many young players in our attack, and Rashford would be one of the more experienced players in that area of the field. More than anyone else aside from Bruno, he would deserve another chance under a better manager.

The squad I would have would look something like the below:

Onana, Balyindir, Heaton, Maguire, Licha, Kambwala, New CB, New CB (Tosin), Dalot, Shaw, Malacia, New CM, New DM, Mainoo, Mctominiay, Bruno, Mount, Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, New Winger, Hojlund, New Striker.

• Two new centre backs are required, one as a backup and the other to start alongside Licha. Furthermore, this may be the season when we begin to transition Shaw into a centre back. In that situation, we may potentially sign a left back rather than one of the CBs.
  • Two new midfielders are needed. Mainoo may grow, but I don't want to go into a season relying just on him. If he improves much more, he could be a guaranteed starter, but we shouldn't go into the season expecting him to start. We clearly need to replace Casemiro as well.
  • New Winger - Our wingers are currently of subpar calibre. We must maintain consistent and effective offensive quality. We shouldn't go into next season with one of Garnacho or Amad starting. Even if both do step up a level, it would be risky not to have the depth available.
  • New striker - The best move would be to sign a striker that can play across the frontline. Hojlund shouldn't have to handle the scoring load alone. He needs competition and rotation.
This would be 6 new signings. One of which could occur on a free ( CB) or if Willy Kambwala proves to have the capacity to step up, may not be required. In terms of quality that would lift our squad, I think we should invest heavily on one midfielder, one centre back and a winger.

Katy Cat

If I was advising INEOS (hint: I'm not but it's nice to imagine) and thinking of any sort of strategy it would probably involve thinking about how players distribute into groups - I'd say there are 3:

Group 1: Rank bad buys - we've been derelict before and hung on to way too many terrible signings, watching the problem get worse. We need to get ruthless, take the hit, and aim to get rid. Which is going to involve compromise and creativity from the new executive...Casemiro and Antony are the stand-outs in this group.

Group 2: Not good enough, not now, not ever - a much bigger group, made-up of players who've been used (sometimes regularly) and have sometimes been useful. Many of them have been here years, none of them have proven they're consistently up to a level where they can be part of the target squad at + 3-4 years, all of them need moving on. Lindelof and McT are examples but there are many.

Group 3: Good players with bad fitness records - where Shaw is the poster boy. Great when fit and in form, but where learned experience tells us he can't be relied on. Again, we've failed to take a decisive, interventionist, approach and have allowed things to slide - preventing Malacia and Martinez from getting into this group needs to be a priority and that might mean being ruthless again.

Of course some players don't fit into these categories and some straddle more than one group - Sancho (borderline bad buy: he's never really shown it at PL level, despite 80+ games under 3 managers) just needs to go; Greenwood is an obvious sale; and Rashford is an example of executive failure as we've been complicit in styling him as a world class talent (he's a hard sell but should be a priority to move on, if we can do a deal somewhere, somehow).

None of this is going to be easy of course - a real test of INEOS capability and smarts to even make a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder

meninred

I think we may unfortunately need two windows to clear out the players. players you would keep may not be more than 8 or so meaning 16 or more have to go which is unrealistic in one season.
first season - the obvious ones and the loans ( atleast 10 or so)
Martial
Erikson
greenwood
sancho
varane
casamiro
johnny evans
lindelof
Wan bisaka
loannies like amrabat, van de beek..pellistri and hannibal

second season the remaining ones ( another 6 or so)
Anthony
Rashford
mcguire
mctominay
Onana
Mount

quesitonable
shaw/malasias ( whoever is not fit)
Rasmus ( if he keeps disappointing)
Amad

basically the players we may keep are Bruno..garnacho..mainoo..rasmus ...amad ( maybe)..dalot..Martinez..Shaw and or Malacia ( if fit)

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Not saying any of our players are world class, but if Iniesta is the level then almost nobody playing is world class which makes no sense.
Iniesta in midfield is like Messi in attack. GOAT, so I am not directly comparing anybody to Iniesta.

But United is the team that had Scholes, Beckham, Christiano, Cantona. They were Iniesta's level - world class. There is nobody in our current team that should even entertain being mentioned at that level. We have lower than average quality players being paid insane money and believing they are elite. They are not

Rojofiam

Malacia isn't leaving, and I don't know why you would want him to leave either...just a senseless suggestion.

Lentwood

Now that Moyes is a goner I can't see anyone coming in for Maguire or McT.
Maguire has been our best defender this season and he's rarely injured. I wouldn't be prioritising selling him.

McTominay is somewhat likeable but incredibly limited for a club with our aspirations. However, with his goalscoring record, I'm sure there are mid-table teams who'd fancy a 10-goal a season AM for £25m-30m....Everton? Forest? Brentford?

Lentwood

Malacia isn't leaving, and I don't know why you would want him to leave either...just a senseless suggestion.
Because he's just missed an entire season injured?

The most important quality in a backup full back is always being available. You'd take a 6/10 who is never injured over someone who is 7 or 8 out of 10 but who misses half of the games.

Thats what we need to learn as a club. We end up in ludicrous situations like this season with 12+ players injured because even our backups are fragile

Lentwood

The list should be...

Definite Outs

Varane (confirmed)
DvdB (free)
Evans (free)
Casemiro (Saudi Arabia)
Eriksen (free)
Martial (free)
Heaton (free)

Hopeful Outs

Rashford (wrong attitude)
Sancho (wrong attitude)
Anthony (not as bad as some make out, but hasn't worked, fans haven't warmed to him)
McTominay (lacks quality, we need the money, think its time)
Malacia (misses too many games to be a credible backup)
AWB - (wrong profile)

Rojofiam

Because he's just missed an entire season injured?

The most important quality in a backup full back is always being available. You'd take a 6/10 who is never injured over someone who is 7 or 8 out of 10 but who misses half of the games.

Thats what we need to learn as a club. We end up in ludicrous situations like this season with 12+ players injured because even our backups are fragile
That's his only injury at United so far and there have been reports claiming that it could be the result of a botched operation, or that he's dealing with personal issues, much like Sancho was last season. His injury record at Feyenoord was very solid, and he's been a good player for us in his first season.

Just a typical kneejerk reaction when I see his or Mount's name (and there are others) on the list of names posters want gone. Just senseless, like I said.

Every ounce of patience is gone from this fanbase after these last 11 years, which is sad to see.

Woziak

In all reality, we can’t move 13 or 14 players from a 25/26 man squad but there are some obvious departures.

Out Of Contract or Loan Expires(6)
R Varane, A Marital, B Williams, S Amrabat, J Evans, T Heaton

Players deemed to be surplus to requirement but have a sale value (6)
M Greenwood, DVB, Antony, AWB, F Pellistri ,A Fernandes, Hanibal Mejbri

Players actively up for Sale but could stay(6)
Casemiro, H Maguire, S Mctominay,
V Lindelof, J Sancho, C Eriksen

Players who represent the highest transfer value but are not actively looking for a move(2)
Rashford, B Fernandes

That’s a total of 20 players never ever going to happen.

I’ll go on record now for saying all the following Stay;
Bruno, Rashford, S Mctominay, H Maguire, T Heaton, and either Sancho or Antony that still means that 14/15 players are going and that in its own right represents a serious challenge, yes 5 will leave as they are out of contract. Alvaro Fernandes is gone which makes 6 players out?

Those 6 will be joined by ; AWB, V Lindelof, Casemiro, C Eriksen, DVB, Hanibal, F Pelistri and Mason Greenwood and they will struggle to get more than £100m for all of those. Either Sancho or Antony will go out on loan and I’m betting Sancho will stay as he was Wilcox star boy in his under 18 team plus he’s just bought a massive house in Cheshire.

The squad potentially could need;
Right Back, Left Back, Two Centre Backs, Two defensive Midfield players, one Number 8, Right winger and a Centre Forward.

We should be using at least 1/2 Free transfers snd 1/2 loan deals

Lentwood

That's his only injury at United so far and there have been reports claiming that it could be the result of a botched operation, or that he's dealing with personal issues, much like Sancho was last season. His injury record at Feyenoord was very solid, and he's been a good player for us in his first season.

Just a typical kneejerk reaction when I see his or Mount's name (and there are others) on the list of names posters want gone. Just senseless, like I said.

Every ounce of patience is gone from this fanbase after these last 11 years, which is sad to see.
I can't remember whether it's his "only" injury but even if that's true, its an injury that's kept him out for a full season.

If you're going to be relatively mediocre, you have to be reliable

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Made the right decision unlocking 600k a week and 31.2m (!) over a season by releasing Varane and Martial.
That shows we have seemed to learn something from past mad renewals.

Hope things continue in the same vein, ruthless if needs be, as we've finished 8th which probably even lower than even the most negative fan would have even dreamed we'd come at the start of the season.

We need a few smart ins as well though, to say the least.

kaku06

Vulgarian

I don’t know why you are so sensitive to the suggestion of replacing him. Is he one of your favourite players or what? Anyways, Ineos are looking to sign a LB and as things stand both our lbs can’t be trusted. Ideally I’d replace both but as it’s not possible I’m happy to replace either of them. No bias.

Rojofiam

I don’t know why you are so sensitive to the suggestion of replacing him. Is he one of your favourite players or what? Anyways, Ineos are looking to sign a LB and as things stand both our lbs can’t be trusted. Ideally I’d replace both but as it’s not possible I’m happy to replace either of them. No bias.
Because he doesn't need replacing, and there isn't much to suggest he's an injury prone player all of a sudden, especially with Ineos coming in and probably restructuring the medical department. It's just doom and gloom mentality to list the players you want gone, and it's 80% of the squad

kaku06

Vulgarian
Because he doesn't need replacing, and there isn't much to suggest he's an injury prone player all of a sudden, especially with Ineos coming in and probably restructuring the medical department. It's just doom and gloom mentality to list the players you want gone, and it's 80% of the squad
So Shaw it is then. I don’t mind selling him either but there are two problems. First, he’s on massive wages and still has 3 years left and second, who’s out there good enough as a starter for us for a reasonable price? The LB market is not that good right now.

hobbers

Definitely gone:
Varane
Martial
Sancho (loan or sale)
Greenwood (loan or sale)
Amrabat
Pellistri
Williams
VdB

Very likely:
Casemiro
Eriksen

Likely:
Lindelof
AWB
Evans

We wish they'd be sold but they won't be:
McTominay
Maguire
Antony
Rashford

Varun1

Definitely gone:
Varane
Martial
Sancho (loan or sale)
Greenwood (loan or sale)
Amrabat
Pellistri
Williams
VdB

Very likely:
Casemiro
Eriksen

Likely:
Lindelof
AWB
Evans

We wish they'd be sold but they won't be:
McTominay
Maguire
Antony
Rashford
This is pretty much my list, except for DVB - 1 year left on his contract, don't think any team will be in for him and doubt he'll be released, and I'd keep MCT.

Rojofiam

So Shaw it is then. I don’t mind selling him either but there are two problems. First, he’s on massive wages and still has 3 years left and second, who’s out there good enough as a starter for us for a reasonable price? The LB market is not that good right now.
I don't think Shaw needs to go, either.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I don't think Shaw needs to go, either.
How can you be satisfied with our lb situation? :lol: You know there are credible reports that Ineos are looking to sign a LB? So pick a choice if you have to.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen

My guess for realistic

Casemiro
Varane
Martial
AwB
Linde
Maguire
Amrabat
Malacia
Donny
Sancho
Greenwood
Eriksen

Hope you're right. Wouldn't mind seeing Antony go either, but that's not going to happen.

Rojofiam

How can you be satisfied with our lb situation? :lol: You know there are credible reports that Ineos are looking to sign a LB? So pick a choice if you have to.
I know, and I don't necessarily agree with it, but even if we sign one, I probably wouldn't sell anyone. Shaw can be managed better than he has been (probably 1 game a week is what I'd try for him, especially next season without Europe), plus a restructured medical department could do wonders for him. Malacia is a good player and I believe he'll eventually do what Dalot has done, and go through a period massive improvement. Martínez can take up that LCB/LB role just as well as the likes of Aké, Zinchenko, Kiwior, etc. have done at City or Arsenal. And then we have Amass coming through, who seems like will be the next youngster to break into the first team after Garnacho and Mainoo.

davidmichael

I’d happily sell everyone bar Dalot, Martinez, Mainoo, Fernandes, Diallo, Garnacho and Hojlund if I’m honest but that’s not realistic. Some should be squad players if kept rather than being seen as important players like Rashford and McTominay.

Realistically it’ll be AWB, Varane, Lindelof, Evans to retire, Williams, Fernandez, Casemiro, Eriksen, VDB, Hannibal, Pellestri, Sancho, Greenwood and Martial although I’d love to add Bayindir, Malacia and Antony to that list if I could.

I’d imagine that would mean our transfer plans would need to be a right back, two centre backs, a left back, a defensive midfielder, a ball winning box to box, a right winger and a striker but that would depend how early we’re able to start outgoings business.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I know, and I don't necessarily agree with it, but even if we sign one, I probably wouldn't sell anyone. Shaw can be managed better than he has been (probably 1 game a week is what I'd try for him, especially next season without Europe), plus a restructured medical department could do wonders for him. Malacia is a good player and I believe he'll eventually do what Dalot has done, and go through a period massive improvement. Martínez can take up that LCB/LB role just as well as the likes of Aké, Zinchenko, Kiwior, etc. have done at City or Arsenal. And then we have Amass coming through, who seems like will be the next youngster to break into the first team after Garnacho and Mainoo.
Don’t agree with any of that. Let’s see what happens this summer regarding our LB conundrum. Personally, I think we will sell either of Shaw or Malacia probably the latter to make room for a new one.

Rojofiam

Don’t agree with any of that. Let’s see what happens this summer regarding our LB conundrum. Personally, I think we will sell either of Shaw or Malacia probably the latter to make room for a new one.
I've seen enough from Shaw, Malacia, Martínez and Amass on the pitch to know we are potentially stacked at LB. The only question mark is injuries. If Ineos can do something about that, these 4 could easily form the best LB depth in the world by the time Amass is around 19-20. I don't think that's an overstatement either. Shaw on form is already second to none, Malacia is a very good rotational option as an inverted left back, Martínez could be outstanding in that LCB/LB role, and Amass is such a similar profile to Shaw that I'm very excited about his prospects.

If the injuries continue, then I agree that we need a signing there. However, I would delay this decision until 2025, as right-back, defensive midfield, central midfield, right winger, and striker are way more urgent this summer IMO.