Why are the Glazers/Woody running the club so badly?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The value of the club has increased because of the explosion in TV and sponsorship money, all external factors. All nothing to do with the Glazer family.
So we agree they haven't completely fecked up a situation despite the poor playing performance post SAF. There are lots of clear cut examples of terrible owners in the Premier League (ask Liverpool fans about Gillette and Hicks) and by comparison the Glazers are tame.

United are not some unique case. Pretty much every club in this country has seen their value rocket. Apart from trying to squeeze every bit of value out of our brand popularity (based on years of dominance that we can thank SAF for and not the Glazers), give me an example where the Glazers have clearly tried to add tangible value to the club internally, ie through long term investments? A stadium redevelopment? Nope. A new state of the art training ground? Nope. An academy stadium? Nope. The list could go on.
You are cherry picking what you deem a good investment. You, nor I, have any idea about the RIO of any of these activities. It's plausible that the board estimated investing in commercial deals and playing staff (over £1b in transfers) were better investments than infrastructure. Regardless, the richest club in football still grew by 3x even though the playing performance has been abject for 6 years.

Great news for the Glazer family, like you say, the value of the club has jumped from 1.2b to 4.12b, however a higher value means nothing for the club.
That's not true. It's easier to refinance that debt (which has already happened) and you can sell shares at the higher value to raise cash.

We'll still need to find money to fund a stadium or training ground development, despite still being half a billion in debt.
Again you're guessing these activities produce either the best RIO or improve the squad. These things don't guarantee anything.

There lies the problem, the Glazer debt remains the biggest barrier to any long term investment that benefits the club long term.The debt has put this club into a stall and allowed other clubs to catch up. The current debt is not going away any time soon and if we decide to start paying it off more quickly, it is money being taken away from other areas i.e. the transfer budget, meaning that we fall behind on the pitch relative to our rivals and their spending.
Again that is not true. The biggest barrier to United are the poor performances on the pitch by a succession of managers who failed at their job. Spurs have a lot of debt and caught up. Liverpool were on a shoe string budget and forced to sell their best players to fund any large purchases but their valuation has skyrocketed. Why? They have good managers and therefore good team who have gained notoriety around the world. Furthermore, as I explained to the other poster United was so far ahead of anyone else that their competitors were bound to catch up.

If you honestly think United have fallen behind their rivals b/c of the lack of stadium or training ground development, I don't know what to tell you.

The reality whether you like it or not, is that the club has wasted vast sums of money (and still are) paying off worthless debt. Money that would've been better investing in an OT stadium redevelopment or a new training ground. Money that would've been generated regardless of whether we had the Glazers as owners or not.
I'm pretty sure the debt was also used to fund operating expenses (ie. transfers, etc)...

In fact, I would say that we would probably be worth more now if the money hadn't gone towards paying off some of the Glazer debt. Over the last 14 years, half of all the money generated by the club has been lost servicing the debt. Imagine if that money had been reinvested back into the club instead? True value is added when profits are reinvested back into club, not when profits are being shipped off to the banks to indirectly fund a Glazer takeover that has provided the club with no benefits and a book full of negatives.

Right now the club is in quick sand and we can thank the Glazers for that.
You should read about the previous majority shareholders. They were actively looking for more investment and even encouraged the Glazer takeover, but somehow you think they would have had the funds to compete in the transfer market and redevelop the stadium/training ground. Where would these magical funds come from?

And yes the club is in quicksand but you should thank the 3 failed managers with archaic tactics post-SAF

He isn't referring to the money borrowed from the banks. He is referring to the amount of money (wasted money) that the club is having to stump up to fulfill its debt obligations, debt linked to the takeoever.

The Glazers borrowed money to fund the takeover. Before the takeover, the Glazers created a new company called Red Football Limited. Red Football Limited (the Glazers) borrowed £500 million from the banks to buy Manchester United and racked up £500 million debt in the process. Once the takeoever happened in 2005, Red Football Limited, with their £500 million of debt became the holding company of Manchester United. Since then Manchester United, using it's own funds have been paying off the debt held by Red Football Limited. As a result, MUFC are indirectly funding the Glazer takeoever, by paying vast sums of money back to the banks, all for the benefit of the Glazers, especially when their asset continues to increase in value. We are literally paying for the privilege of being owned by the Glazers. The Glazers are literally laughing all the way to the bank!
Wasted money the club might not have had...

For the 100th time, they didn't not secure all of the debt on United's assets. It was about half and the other half presumably secured against the Glazer family assets. Secondly, I highly doubt JP Morgan would have been the underwriter if Glazer family attempted to put up 0 collateral of their own.

The key here is to understand the difference between good debt and bad debt.

Good debt = you borrow money to fund something that you otherwise couldn't afford. For example Tottenham are now in a lot of debt. However, it is good debt. They have borrowed money so that they can move to a state of the art stadium (possibly the best in the world). This will allow them to grow as a club, boosting revenues and profits, and over the long term, the returns will eventually exceed the cost of the debt. Once the debt is paid off they will have something to show for that debt. A world class stadium.

Bad debt = the Glazer debt. It has been reported that so far it has cost the club over £1 billion servicing the debt since 2005. To make matters worse the debt still stands at £500 million. What have we got to show for all of this debt? Absolutely nothing! No new stadium, no new training ground. Nothing. For the Glazers they have made billions and for the club we have lost more than a billion (so far). Not only have we got nothing to show for it, OT is now 14 years older and vastly outdated and the training ground is not up to required standard. In the last 14 years, United has probably generated more money than anyone else worldwide but where has a large chunk of this money gone? That's right, straight to the banks, to benefit the Glazers and not the club itself.
No offense, but this is complete nonsense.

"Good debt" is debt that leads to higher ROI (via whatever was purchased) vs the total interest percentage. Not even worth going into this, but what you wrote is gross oversimplification.

Under the Glazer ownership, vast sums of money has been leaking out of the club year after year rather than being reinvested. Whether its money used to pay off the debt and its interest or on annual dividends. Actually, this week the Glazers paid themselves another £19million. Of course, they are free to do that, however it shows where their priorities lie. To cream off as much money as possible in the short term with little care whatsoever for the level of debt facing the club.
The Glazers didn't take dividends for the first 10 years (most likely until they were sure the debt was manageable, which it is). Given the had loans secured against their own assets this is not crazy at all.

The Glazers haven't cared about this club from day one. They don't care about the long term health of the club and where we'll be in 15 to 20 years time. Everything is short term with them and they are more than happy to asset strip the club back to its bones. They want to add as much value to the club with as little investment as possible. Once they have reached a value limit, they will then head off into the sunset with their billions without giving a second thought about the state of the club that they have left behind.
If by care you mean sentimental, then of course they don't care. But name me any owner of PL club (sans maybe Levy) who does. You think City's or Liverpool's owners care about the history of the club?

If by care you mean monetarily, then of course they do. They put their own assets as collateral to buy a nearly £1 billion pound prestigious football club.

Doesn't matter. I'm not going to change anyones mind. If you hate Woodward and Glazers you will hate no matter what they do. The fabricated evidence is annoying though.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
That’s a bit misleading imo. Taxes are unavoidable, dividends will always be payable to shareholders or owners whoever they are, otherwise why invest in the business. The loan repayments are the only thing that really matter, and it costs what - £25m a year to service. Meanwhile the turnover and value of the business has grown enormously. We shouldn’t get too hung up about debt, most of the biggest companies in the world carry debt as it’s quite an efficient way of building a business if the business grows faster than the cost of servicing - as is the case here.

What is more alarming is the state of the football side of the operation. Significant funds have been invested in the transfer market, the like of which can only be dreamed about by most of the EPL clubs - Ed was right with that sort of suggestion. Fact is it has been spent very poorly. The guilty party in that, as far as I am concerned, is Ed himself. He needs to get onboard somebody with sufficient experience in football operations to run this for him, that’s what good CEO’s do.
I can understand the view the second paragraph (even though I get the feeling Woodward is just the thumbs up/thumbs down man), but the people banging on the debt don't have no idea they are talking about. It's a good argument to have before 2009 but not now.

Patrick08

Clubs needing players wrapping up deals left right and centre, we keep on operating like a club not in control.

UnitedFan93

So we agree they haven't completely fecked up a situation despite the poor playing performance post SAF. There are lots of clear cut examples of terrible owners in the Premier League (ask Liverpool fans about Gillette and Hicks) and by comparison the Glazers are tame.

You are cherry picking what you deem a good investment. You, nor I, have any idea about the RIO of any of these activities. It's plausible that the board estimated investing in commercial deals and playing staff (over £1b in transfers) were better investments than infrastructure. Regardless, the richest club in football still grew by 3x even though the playing performance has been abject for 6 years.

That's not true. It's easier to refinance that debt (which has already happened) and you can sell shares at the higher value to raise cash.

Again you're guessing these activities produce either the best RIO or improve the squad. These things don't guarantee anything.

Again that is not true. The biggest barrier to United are the poor performances on the pitch by a succession of managers who failed at their job. Spurs have a lot of debt and caught up. Liverpool were on a shoe string budget and forced to sell their best players to fund any large purchases but their valuation has skyrocketed. Why? They have good managers and therefore good team who have gained notoriety around the world. Furthermore, as I explained to the other poster United was so far ahead of anyone else that their competitors were bound to catch up.

If you honestly think United have fallen behind their rivals b/c of the lack of stadium or training ground development, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm pretty sure the debt was also used to fund operating expenses (ie. transfers, etc)...

You should read about the previous majority shareholders. They were actively looking for more investment and even encouraged the Glazer takeover, but somehow you think they would have had the funds to compete in the transfer market and redevelop the stadium/training ground. Where would these magical funds come from?

And yes the club is in quicksand but you should thank the 3 failed managers with archaic tactics post-SAF

Wasted money the club might not have had...

For the 100th time, they didn't not secure all of the debt on United's assets. It was about half and the other half presumably secured against the Glazer family assets. Secondly, I highly doubt JP Morgan would have been the underwriter if Glazer family attempted to put up 0 collateral of their own.

No offense, but this is complete nonsense.

"Good debt" is debt that leads to higher ROI (via whatever was purchased) vs the total interest percentage. Not even worth going into this, but what you wrote is gross oversimplification.

The Glazers didn't take dividends for the first 10 years (most likely until they were sure the debt was manageable, which it is). Given the had loans secured against their own assets this is not crazy at all.

If by care you mean sentimental, then of course they don't care. But name me any owner of PL club (sans maybe Levy) who does. You think City's or Liverpool's owners care about the history of the club?

If by care you mean monetarily, then of course they do. They put their own assets as collateral to buy a nearly £1 billion pound prestigious football club.

Doesn't matter. I'm not going to change anyones mind. If you hate Woodward and Glazers you will hate no matter what they do. The fabricated evidence is annoying though.
Thanks for trying to reassure me that the Glazers have been good owners for Manchester United.

Unfortunately, I disagree with pretty much everything you have to say.

Let's see what state United will be in 10 years from now under the Glazer ownership. Maybe we should look at the fortunes of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to get some sort of idea...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
To be fair every time it's looked like we are finished we've hit back and got straight back into the CL at the first time of asking. Obviously we've then lost that place again so they aren't learning from it.

If we fail to qualify for the CL again next year then it will turn very very ugly. I'd actually be very happy for that to happen IF it meant I knew 100% that they'd sell up and leave but you just can't be sure.

No more PL titles and no CL's until they leave. Fergie not around to save us anymore.

Denis79

That’s a bit misleading imo. Taxes are unavoidable, dividends will always be payable to shareholders or owners whoever they are, otherwise why invest in the business. The loan repayments are the only thing that really matter, and it costs what - £25m a year to service. Meanwhile the turnover and value of the business has grown enormously. We shouldn’t get too hung up about debt, most of the biggest companies in the world carry debt as it’s quite an efficient way of building a business if the business grows faster than the cost of servicing - as is the case here.

What is more alarming is the state of the football side of the operation. Significant funds have been invested in the transfer market, the like of which can only be dreamed about by most of the EPL clubs - Ed was right with that sort of suggestion. Fact is it has been spent very poorly. The guilty party in that, as far as I am concerned, is Ed himself. He needs to get onboard somebody with sufficient experience in football operations to run this for him, that’s what good CEO’s do.
It is a fact that we have paid 447 million pounds in interest on the loan the Glazers took on the clubs assets to buy the club, just interests. 447 mllion pound that were taxed on top of that, money that essentially went in their pocket. At the point of the takeover the club had a 16% interest on the total debt because of their method of buying the club.

The 25 million a year you're talking about is now, after almost 750 million have already been paid to the banks.

You can take those numbers as you want, I see the Glazers as nothing else but parasites.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Thanks for trying to reassure me that the Glazers have been good owners for Manchester United.

Unfortunately, I disagree with pretty much everything you have to say.

Let's see what state United will be in 10 years from now under the Glazer ownership. Maybe we should look at the fortunes of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to get some sort of idea...
Honestly not trying to reassure anyone. Like I said previously, those who dislike the Glazers won't change their mind, facts be damned. My posts are really for those who care about the facts in a sea of misinformation.

The Bucs were good to great team for a 10-year stretch and won a Super Bowl all while belonging to one of the smallest NFL markets, all under Glazer ownership. Weird example.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Theresa May: I hold the title as the worst negotiator in Britain.

Woodward: Hold my Prawn Sandwich.

Foxbatt

The reason I do not like The Glazers is not because they have not spent money. But because they put an imbecile like Woodward in charge.

romufc

6 years since they put Woodward in charge. He has got sacked 3 managers, spunked a whole load of cash with no reward to the club yet he is the man in charge.
As an owner of a business or a football club that is meant to be the “biggest” they most definitely not acting like it. PSG DOF left and they got another one
AC Milan hired a new DOF
Manutd have been looking for a DOF for 12 months, how is this acceptable?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yep. These are the Arsenal years.
It's nice to be able to cushion the sorry state of affairs by labelling this period thus. From bad to worst: The Arsenal years, the Liverpool years, the City before financial foul play years. Hopefully it's just 60-75% of the Arsenal years though.

UnitedFan93

Honestly not trying to reassure anyone. Like I said previously, those who dislike the Glazers won't change their mind, facts be damned. My posts are really for those who care about the facts in a sea of misinformation.
Speaking about facts, I think we can all agree that Manchester United is in decline. That's a fact.

As owners of the football club, the Glazers take full responsibility for the decline one way or another. They have the final say over every decision made at the club including who is appointed and who is fired. Everyone else involved within the club are just employees including Woodward. Of course Woodward has played his part in our decline, however he's been in the role now for 6 years and despite the terrible job that he has done on the football side he's been allowed to continue in his current role. Clearly, the Glazers must be pleased with how Woodward is handling football operations.

From 2005 to 2013, the Glazers relied heavily on SAF to run the club for them, however once he retired they were badly exposed.

Since 2013, they have failed to appoint the right people for the right positions. They have failed to build any sort of football structure at the club. We keep hearing that we are searching for a director of football, however we've been searching for one for years. I mean how long does it take? You can bet that if we needed a new commercial director, the Glazers would've filled the position within weeks/months.

The Glazers (and Woodward) have failed with their managerial appointments by appointing mangers with different playing styles that require a different set of players. As a result, when a new manager has been appointed, we've had to rip the squad up and start from scratch all over again. No wonder we are not seeing any improvement on the pitch!

Ultimately, the Glazers are the architects of our decline.

Regarding the debt, I think this issue has now been covered with your facts.

The Bucs were good to great team for a 10-year stretch and won a Super Bowl all while belonging to one of the smallest NFL markets, all under Glazer ownership. Weird example.
I think you've missed my point.

I'm not comparing Manchester United against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There's no point. Clearly there are plenty of differences. However, I am comparing the overall management of Manchester United against that of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After all, that is the common denominator that both clubs share, the Glazer family.

By all accounts the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been mediocre for years (the super bowl victory was in 2003) and shown very little progress. The fans are unhappy with the lack of ambition shown (relative to expectations) and the shoddy management of the club. Recruitment is meant to be terrible (at all levels) and they are burning their way through managers. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Fortunately for us we had SAF pretty much running the club from 2005 to 2013 with the Glazers taking a distant approach. Unfortunately for us, since 2013, the Glazers are now much more involved in the running of the club like they have always been at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Hence the comparison.

The mismanagement that has been on display for years at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gives all United fans an indication of what's to come. Unfortunately, it won't be pretty.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Read the linked article mate, 500 million pounds of the clubs money has been paid in just interests to a debt generated by the way the Glazers took over the club, a method that is today illegal.
Yh I've read that before. Original point I replied to was because it made out that the money we have spent on interest could have been spent on players, but the money we spent on interest would not have been there had the Glazer's not taken over. It's a hypothetical scenario and it's not a simple case of United have spent x on y, but should have spent it on.

We didn’t use the money to grow though. The Glazers used the money to pay off banks.
That's not accurate. Both have occurred.

Again, not advocating the Glazer ownership model but this whole thread is about how the club is run 'so badly' but assessing the data it's not a catastrophe as some make out. The emotional side of things, the part of football that unfortunately is not as important as the commercial, has suffered hugely in my opinion but the financial side is very strong and that's why Woodward remains in charge because he is delivering exactly what he's being asked to do.

Andy_Cole

The reason I do not like The Glazers is not because they have not spent money. But because they put an imbecile like Woodward in charge.
That’s the issue. We’ve actually spent an okay amount of money. But we’re targeting players who are valuable to put as the face of a noodle packet rather than improving us. Shocking decision after shocking decision.

Andy_Cole

That’s the issue. We’ve actually spent an okay amount of money. But we’re targeting players who are valuable to put as the face of a noodle packet rather than improving us. Shocking decision after shocking decision.

Denis79

Yh I've read that before. Original point I replied to was because it made out that the money we have spent on interest could have been spent on players, but the money we spent on interest would not have been there had the Glazer's not taken over. It's a hypothetical scenario and it's not a simple case of United have spent x on y, but should have spent it on.

That's not accurate. Both have occurred.

Again, not advocating the Glazer ownership model but this whole thread is about how the club is run 'so badly' but assessing the data it's not a catastrophe as some make out. The emotional side of things, the part of football that unfortunately is not as important as the commercial, has suffered hugely in my opinion but the financial side is very strong and that's why Woodward remains in charge because he is delivering exactly what he's being asked to do.
You do realize that Uniteds economics have grown in a similar percentage compared to other stable PL clubs? The Glazers aren't magic money-making men that have done wonders. So you're saying that without the Glazers we wouldn't have grown? That's completely wrong.

They way you're writing is like we were a poor, nothing club before they took over. We were a powerhouse back then as well.

tomaldinho1

You do realize that Uniteds economics have grown in a similar percentage compared to other stable PL clubs? The Glazers aren't magic money-making men that have done wonders. So you're saying that without the Glazers we wouldn't have grown? That's completely wrong.

They way you're writing is like we were a poor, nothing club before they took over. We were a powerhouse back then as well.
That's a weird way to interpret it. My point there is you can't reduce such a complicated thing to simply saying 'we spent almost $1b on interest but could have used it on players'.

More importantly, what you are saying about growth actually counters your own point. We have been hugely unsuccessful on the pitch compared to our rivals in the period post SAF and yet, even with our massive downturn in form, we are keeping pace (relatively, given our size) with other clubs that should be growing much faster than us. The Glazer's are good at the commercial side and that's the issue - they've elevated the commercial side above all else.

UDontMessWith24

Relative to what they’re trying to achieve they wouldn’t say they’re running the club badly.

Saffron

That's a weird way to interpret it. My point there is you can't reduce such a complicated thing to simply saying 'we spent almost $1b on interest but could have used it on players'.

More importantly, what you are saying about growth actually counters your own point. We have been hugely unsuccessful on the pitch compared to our rivals in the period post SAF and yet, even with our massive downturn in form, we are keeping pace (relatively, given our size) with other clubs that should be growing much faster than us. The Glazer's are good at the commercial side and that's the issue - they've elevated the commercial side above all else.
So why is the value of Manchester United down -8% since last year then, at a time when all other big English clubs are growing at a record pace?

Denis79

Counters what point? You're saying that without the Glazers we wouldn't have had the money to pay off the banks, I'm saying that our former setup weren't idiots and would have managed to grow in similar ways and that we weren't peanuts before they took over, and we had great success as a club. And that the money the club generated could have gone to other things than the banks.

The Glazers put the clubs assets as security to get the loan to be able to afford the purchase of the club, which has resulted in 500 million pounds in just interest costs and we still have debt. I don't understand how you as a United fan find this as good for the club?

Old Trafford needs major investment and I'm sure other club infrastructure as well. They have completely neglected this because of the way they took over the club and the debt they put the club in, there's more to a club than just transfers mate.

tomaldinho1

So why is the value of Manchester United down -8% since last year then, at a time when all other big English clubs are growing at a record pace?
Are we not waiting on the latest Deloitte report? If that stat is true then surely you'd see more blame on the shoulders of Moyes, LVG, Mou and the actual team performance? We have bought a lot of players, we have made a world record transfer signing, we've given manager's a phenomenal platform to succeed second only to City (who are a state run club and so exist on another financial planet). The one time we were rumoured to not have backed Mou we still spent ~£70m and I agree with the decision not to back him further given his transfer record e.g moaning about needing CBs despite having signed two.

Counters what point? You're saying that without the Glazers we wouldn't have had the money to pay off the banks, I'm saying that our former setup weren't idiots and would have managed to grow in similar ways and that we weren't peanuts before they took over, and we had great success as a club. And that the money the club generated could have gone to other things than the banks.

The Glazers put the clubs assets as security to get the loan to be able to afford the purchase of the club, which has resulted in 500 million pounds in just interest costs and we still have debt. I don't understand how you as a United fan find this as good for the club?

Old Trafford needs major investment and I'm sure other club infrastructure as well. They have completely neglected this because of the way they took over the club and the debt they put the club in, there's more to a club than just transfers mate.
You keep misunderstanding or just changing my words. If you want to discuss the hypothetical scenario of a failed takeover and how much money we might have had, we'll just arrive at a hypothetical conclusion. Given the owners were open to selling, there's every likelihood we'd be in a similar situation with another owner but in more debt (given the Glazers actually split the debt which they didn't have to do). Again it's a make believe scenario so we don't know but I never said we wouldn't have any money, I'm just pointing out that everything is linked so it's pointless to take a figure post takeover (for example about repayments) and apply it to a fictional scenario where it could have been better spent elsewhere.

As a United fan are the Glazer's good for the club? A much wider question, not the purpose of this thread. I believe they're probably on the better side of the owners the PL has seen from a commercial perspective (bearing in mind there have been some absolute crooks) and, like or loathe them, they have made a huge amount of transfer funds available to managers so far.

soaphroniscuss

Some of you guys are really over the top. Do you think any owner or CEO would like to see themselves as a failure?

Even a 10 year kid become more responsible if you put him in charge for anything in school and he doesnt want to fail

No doubt Ed doesnt come across a footballing intellect but he is the one given more than half a billion by trusting his managers
LVG and Jose might passed their best but they were the top managers available around that time and won many things

I am not a fan of Glazers & Ed but I feel they are being criticized here more than they deserve. They gave us money no doubt and having debt is to save money form taxes and we all know that, same time they can invest that money on something else and make more money. Its not like our owners running out of cash and we dont have money to pay loan premiums or player salaries

Its bad that some players signed didnt do well for us and some wrong decisions made on players choice but when you have LVG/Jose at club you simply have to trust them and I never heard these managers said one wrong thing about ED that he forced a player on them.

If I am ED, I would learn from my mistakes and place a proper structure who can help me in dealing transfers and start planning ahead

Do you think Real Madrid signed all those players by few days negotiations? I dont think so, they might have started the ground work few months back atleast. I am sure Ed might be doing same but he need to react fast and more organised
Read this http://www.redcafe.net/threads/why-...the-club-so-badly.447316/page-8#post-24246414

Lebowski

As a United fan are the Glazer's good for the club? A much wider question, not the purpose of this thread. I believe they're probably on the better side of the owners the PL has seen from a commercial perspective (bearing in mind there have been some absolute crooks)
Well that's damning them with faint praise if I ever I heard it!

"Commercially they've probably been just about decent, and it least they don't commit genocide or murder babies".

I guess defending the Glazers and Woody is becoming a harder and harder straw clutching exercise these days.

Fluctuation0161

Really getting sick of the Glazer / Woodward apologist comments in here. A very vocal tiny minority.

It seems obvious the decline of the club falls at their feet. Fans need to unite and speak against them.

croadyman

Quite honestly the woodpecker and those leeches are both a pandemic and epidemic rolled into one.

They have absolutely destroyed our beloved club and breaks my heart to see the long term damage they have caused.

Saffron

Are we not waiting on the latest Deloitte report? If that stat is true then surely you'd see more blame on the shoulders of Moyes, LVG, Mou and the actual team performance? We have bought a lot of players, we have made a world record transfer signing, we've given manager's a phenomenal platform to succeed second only to City (who are a state run club and so exist on another financial planet). The one time we were rumoured to not have backed Mou we still spent ~£70m and I agree with the decision not to back him further given his transfer record e.g moaning about needing CBs despite having signed two.

You keep misunderstanding or just changing my words. If you want to discuss the hypothetical scenario of a failed takeover and how much money we might have had, we'll just arrive at a hypothetical conclusion. Given the owners were open to selling, there's every likelihood we'd be in a similar situation with another owner but in more debt (given the Glazers actually split the debt which they didn't have to do). Again it's a make believe scenario so we don't know but I never said we wouldn't have any money, I'm just pointing out that everything is linked so it's pointless to take a figure post takeover (for example about repayments) and apply it to a fictional scenario where it could have been better spent elsewhere.

As a United fan are the Glazer's good for the club? A much wider question, not the purpose of this thread. I believe they're probably on the better side of the owners the PL has seen from a commercial perspective (bearing in mind there have been some absolute crooks) and, like or loathe them, they have made a huge amount of transfer funds available to managers so far.
According to Forbes calculations done in May 2019, United’s value is down -8%.

Meanwhile, Liverpool is up +12%. Chelsea +25%. Tottenham +31%. Since last year.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/#3d181ae813f9

Perhaps the Deloitte report will be more comprehensive, but this could be a sign of things to come.

Andy_Cole

I fee like we’re getting run so badly it’s sabotage. They’re intentionally crippling us. Which is obviously not true but how can they be doing such a bad job?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I fee like we’re getting run so badly it’s sabotage. They’re intentionally crippling us. Which is obviously not true but how can they be doing such a bad job?
Getting us back to where we were is a huge task. It would take an overhaul of the internal day-to-day running of the club, a new core to the playing squad, and an instalment of a coherent and credible ethos.

Although we have a lot of money to spend in the window, we are crippled on a number of ends. We are incapable of moving quickly on deals (this would seem to suggest at an outdated/ineffective negotiating tactic) and seemingly unable to work on more than one transfer at a time - this includes both selling and buying. The latter is telling, it suggests Ed is working alone and is unwilling to divvy up the workload amongst even his most trusted staff. For the task at hand, Ed Woodward flying solo is a frankly shocking way of going about things.

When we do enter the market, we are treated uniquely because of our dire situation. We will always be quoted £10-20m more than other clubs for players because our need to bring these guys in is so obvious. It's also representative of how much these sort of players are truly worth to us - transfers fees are entirely relative to the context of the clubs and players involved. This means Wan-Bissaka costing £50/60m+, and Maguire £70/80m+.

I think we're entering a point where the maths is no longer adding up for the Glazers. Our value is plummeting whilst our rivals are growing, they have seen no reward for their investments in recent years, and will have to spend way more than their current outlay to make us truly competitive again - and even then there's no guarantee of success.

Now we're in limbo in regards to every aspect of how we're being run. Something will surely have to crack sooner rather than later??

Saffron

Something will surely have to crack sooner rather than later??
Yes – Ed will be cracking his knuckles eager to have another go at the 2020 summer window when we’re fresh off another refreshing 6th place finish (tied with Wolves but with slightly better GD).

soaphroniscuss

Getting us back to where we were is a huge task. It would take an overhaul of the internal day-to-day running of the club, a new core to the playing squad, and an instalment of a coherent and credible ethos.

Although we have a lot of money to spend in the window, we are crippled on a number of ends. We are incapable of moving quickly on deals (this would seem to suggest at an outdated/ineffective negotiating tactic) and seemingly unable to work on more than one transfer at a time - this includes both selling and buying. The latter is telling, it suggests Ed is working alone and is unwilling to divvy up the workload amongst even his most trusted staff. For the task at hand, Ed Woodward flying solo is a frankly shocking way of going about things.

When we do enter the market, we are treated uniquely because of our dire situation. We will always be quoted £10-20m more than other clubs for players because our need to bring these guys in is so obvious. It's also representative of how much these sort of players are truly worth to us - transfers fees are entirely relative to the context of the clubs and players involved. This means Wan-Bissaka costing £50/60m+, and Maguire £70/80m+.

I think we're entering a point where the maths is no longer adding up for the Glazers. Our value is plummeting whilst our rivals are growing, they have seen no reward for their investments in recent years, and will have to spend way more than their current outlay to make us truly competitive again - and even then there's no guarantee of success.

Now we're in limbo in regards to every aspect of how we're being run. Something will surely have to crack sooner rather than later??
I think they take 20 - 25 million out as a dividend each year.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If it came out in years to come that Woodward was actually a covert Liverpool / City fan... it'd honestly make the job he's done here make a little more sense to me.

Genuinely.

Denis79

It was a hostile takeover, they ousted all opposition from the board with their 30% shares. They bought the club the same way they are running it, like crooks. David Gill was even calling for fan support to stop their actions...

tomaldinho1

Well that's damning them with faint praise if I ever I heard it!

"Commercially they've probably been just about decent, and it least they don't commit genocide or murder babies".

I guess defending the Glazers and Woody is becoming a harder and harder straw clutching exercise these days.
Less said about this response the better.

It was a hostile takeover, they ousted all opposition from the board with their 30% shares. They bought the club the same way they are running it, like crooks. David Gill was even calling for fan support to stop their actions...
In my opinion, as they were originally they were encouraging external investors I believe they weren't completely clueless about then opening themselves up for a hostile takeover. Agreed though they weren't actively looking to sell.

According to Forbes calculations done in May 2019, United’s value is down -8%.

Meanwhile, Liverpool is up +12%. Chelsea +25%. Tottenham +31%. Since last year.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/#3d181ae813f9

Perhaps the Deloitte report will be more comprehensive, but this could be a sign of things to come.
Defintely a sign of things to come if our on the field lack of success continues. I guess the question there is how much of that is solely the fault of the owners as this thread is specifically about how the club is run.

Saffron

Less said about this response the better.

In my opinion, as they were originally they were encouraging external investors I believe they weren't completely clueless about then opening themselves up for a hostile takeover. Agreed though they weren't actively looking to sell.

Defintely a sign of things to come if our on the field lack of success continues. I guess the question there is how much of that is solely the fault of the owners as this thread is specifically about how the club is run.
I found the following gem in a paper by a neutral think tank, High Pay Centre.

Manchester United did use their cash advantage to double their matchday capacity in the years 1995-2006, but since then have made no significant improvements to their income generating facilities.
Interesting, I wonder what happened in 2005 that could be the reason for that.

Relfy

We've transitioned from football club to a business to line the Glazers pockets with. They've hired a yes man in Woodward, who they have entrusted with managing the club, and yet the results on the pitch are not coinciding with results off it. Hundreds of millions of pounds wasted on players and manager who did not fit, not to mention the +/- billion taken out of the club to service the debt they placed upon the club.

The only way forward that I think is even remotely likely, is that they split the business and football decisions completely. Move Woody into the commercial role and operate from London, and then hire a team to manage the football side of things.

We are chasing a DoF, but we need more than that. City hired the whole staff from Barcelona. We can look at the business Dortmund, Atletico and even Juve to an extent have done over the past few years. Clear vision of the type of players they want and ones that fit their playing system, as well as with a view on the finances. I know clubs like Dortmund and to an extent Atleti could be seen as 'selling clubs', but their model has kept them competitive, and they have been able to unearth some major talents along the way.

If United could find a system to replicate the aforementioned clubs, or even pull a City and take an entire outfit from one of these clubs, I think we could again have success on the pitch. We could take the approach of finding these hidden talents, as well as (hopefully) having the ability to acquire more expensive and established stars to compliment them.

I do however highly doubt that any such changes will happen. I can only see another yes man being installed underneath Woody. I cannot see him relinquishing his power at the club unless forced, and quote frankly the Glazers are unlikely to make such moves as long as their being paid year on year.

The way it is going we're going to morph into Arsenal and then continue to drop off into midtable. Looks like a long and bleak road ahead.

oz insomniac

Can the Glazers and their stooges answer the following, what would any business do if their model and results were failing markedly against their competitors. Think Tesco or any other franchise or like as I don't know ones in the UK to compare, and see if their CEO and board would remain with similar results.

Their acceptance of the fall in the clubs appeal says enough of their competence and feeling for the game and fans, whatever spin gets put on their takeover/ownership/debt/dividends , they have not understood the passion and winning results needed to remain in the long held premier position in football.

Not good enough really.

tomaldinho1

I found the following gem in a paper by a neutral think tank, High Pay Centre.

Interesting, I wonder what happened in 2005 that could be the reason for that.
I'm not following, is this a reference to infrastructure investment by the club? If so that's a more specific conversation.

I'd also assume, although I haven't read the report, that matchday capacity will be referring to physical number of seats which was last extended in 2006 (I believe). If football was run solely on matchday revenue this would be a lot more damning but, given the club's value is so high, you can safely assume (and again this is an issue with when football become a business and in my mind a negative thing) that the club's hierachy value the overseas online/tv fanbase as a much more important part of the club's growth. What would be more cost effective for them, revamping a very old stadium where we already know there are some complications with extensions and adding, being generous, another 10,000 seats. Or spending a similar amount of money on pushing the United 'brand' into countries like India, Indonesia or China where you have roughly a third of the world's population. It sucks for us as fans but, from a commerical perspective you can see why the stadium has not been top priority.

lukepowell1988

Think it simply comes down to one thing Passion.

To them lot this is just a business not a football club or something you have dreamed about all your life it's just a profit machine.

Selling up to the Arabs won't change this either.