Why are we dropping the standards for Ole?

Enigma_87

You know who
I just cannot believe the lack of planning, that scenario there is exactly what I mean.

We are being run on a daily basis, in the moment reacting to things instead of being proactive.

If we had a plan, then Ole would not have been hired unless he won Champions League or got top 4. He did neither.

So the club should have stuck to the plan, but because they have absolutely NO plan they took the easy option.

But this is the club to blame not Ole. Which person in Ole's shoes would actually have turned the job down? No one.
Obviously no one would turn down the job offer, neither he can be blamed for accepting it.

In terms of bigger picture it's obvious that the club is rotten from the head and no sane DoF will appoint a rookie manager for a 2-3 years play on the back of 10 games.

Unfortunately it is how it is. I can see us going for the DoF route only after we lose any hope in the current status quo.

Enigma_87

You know who
Woodward gave Pereira a new contract and was inefficient at filling in some of our departures
You can find many excuses. Fact is many were crying for a pre season and transfer window and he has had exactly that. It's not like he was on vacation for three months so you actually have to do some work during that time.

Doing insufficient work doesn't erase the time being here.

Dr Fink

I think it has been a clever ploy by the board - appoint a club legend over a big name signing as manager. The fans will be more forgiving in this interim re-build period. Chelsea copied the model in appointing Lampard. They are in a similar situation. You put a big name in the hot seat and despite your resources, you are expected to turn it around immediately. The club, squad and the first XI need major surgery. Putting a legend in charge allows it to happen. Yes, the bar has been lowered but it needs to be to allow the re-build. Once it's done, I feel a bigger name will take over. The big, frustrating question is WHEN.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If we don’t qualify for the CL,should Ole be sacked?
It's not a black and white situation for me, never has been in regards to that. I always want to see progress as the season goes on on the pitch. If we have plenty of valid reasons to believe we are heading the right direction and we keep improving and have good performances, then I'd hope he stays regardless of league position. Mourinho finished 2nd and I wanted him out because it was obvious that we were heading for a downward spiral with him halfway through that 2nd season.

RedDevil@84

We are just resigning to the fact that we are a club run by incompetent jokers, who have been sinking the club in absence of a miracle man like SAF and are desperately searching for a silver lining, blind hope that a legend will come and save the day.
And because we already know that sacking yet another manager is not going to achieve anything because the top is rotten to the core.

Smores

Appoint a manager i like = they can do what they want at least for a couple of seasons.

Appoint a manager i don't like = moan and sack them if they don't win the title.

That seems to be the thinking since Fergie, of course it's layered behind debate so people can pretend to reason and justify it but we've all seen enough inconsistency and hypocrisy to know most of it is bullshit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho finished 2nd and I wanted him out because it was obvious that we were heading for a downward spiral
Good example. Many people wanted him gone even though we finished second. Using top four as the only metric when rebuilding is stupid and has proven so.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's not a black and white situation for me, never has been in regards to that. I always want to see progress as the season goes on on the pitch. If we have plenty of valid reasons to believe we are heading the right direction and we keep improving and have good performances, then I'd hope he stays regardless of league position. Mourinho finished 2nd and I wanted him out because it was obvious that we were heading for a downward spiral with him halfway through that 2nd season.
That's not how football works. Especially clubs with ambition. If you are looking to avoid relegation you might be right, but not at one of the biggest/wealthiest clubs in the world.

CL qualification should be the bare minimum, especially when you consider Chelsea and Arsenal as main competitors.

If we fail to reach CL qualification for second year in a row Pogba will be out of the door as soon as the window opens. No top player will be swayed by our project and that's clearly not progress.

He'sRaldo

This summer I believe we went for Dan James as we couldn't get Jadon Sancho. Now our purchase of the young lad doesn't mean that we have lowered the standards for a Man Utd winger, it simply meant that we realized that for now, he could possibly solve some of our wing issues while we await a better winger. And so far he's had a good start to the season, stepping up and scoring 3 goals in 4 games.

In the same vein, I think we should realize that while Ole might not be the man to take us to the very top, he can indeed solve some of our problems on our way there. Problems such as deadwood, poor club culture, exorbitant wages for mediocrity, lack of identity, etc. If he succeeds at these he doesn't have to win the League or CL to be a success, as long as he doesn't do more harm than good to the club.

The previous managers were hired with the expectation of taking us back to the top very quickly, and were backed heavily in order to do so. Thus, they were judged a lot more harshly. The same way, for instance, Pogba is in comparison with Dan James. And I'm sure the next world-class manager we hire will be judged by those high standards if his objective, backing, etc, all point towards a goal of winning the biggest trophies.

So in my opinion, a better way of viewing the situation is to say under Ole, our view has shifted from success at all costs, to getting us back on the right path no matter the cost. And with that view, the lofty standards of Man Utd don't apply the same way they do with previous, and probably future managers. If Ole can solve some of our problems and make us a more attractive prospect, he doesn't need to be Pep or Klopp right now. And since it's unlikely we'll win the league in a few years, this is the perfect time to do this.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No because I'm not sure what exactly people saw in those games that's so promising that we hadn't already seen umpteen times in games like that under Mourinho/LvG i.e. we look like the better team but our finishing is poor/can't really create chances and then get punished by silly defensive mistakes/naivety. I mean you can essentially have that as the blueprint of 80% of games we've played and drawn/lost against non top six opposition in the last 3 or 4 years.
So what you're saying is that we have been unlucky for the past 3 or 4 years? Not quite. Under LVG we just passed the ball around a bunch. Kept possession with no real pressure and played with some stupid formations (Rooney is holding midfielder and DiMaria a striker). Under Mourinho I thought we were really good for most of the first season with some great attacking football. We played great and were unlucky. We made average keepers look world class (8 MOTM from opposing keepers). Then for some reason Mourinho decided to change from the attacking football to boring defensive football and it was all downhill. This year, so far we have been all about attacking football. We have been unlucky not to be on 12 points right now. But if we keep playing the way that we are the results will come. Judge Ole on a season, not 4 games...

bosnian_red

That's not how football works. Especially clubs with ambition. If you are looking to avoid relegation you might be right, but not at one of the biggest/wealthiest clubs in the world.

CL qualification should be the bare minimum, especially when you consider Chelsea and Arsenal as main competitors.

If we fail to reach CL qualification for second year in a row Pogba will be out of the door as soon as the window opens. No top player will be swayed by our project and that's clearly not progress.
Pogba is gone regardless. And I'm not running the business, I'm speaking from a supporter perspective. If we show continual progress and have reasons to believe that we will continue to improve with the manager, then he stays IMO, simple as. If you miss out on 4th by a point because of a missed pen on the last game of an otherwise good season, does that mean the manager should go? Of course not. There are countless scenarios where a manager should stay if they miss out on the target for the year and countless scenarios where a manager should go even if targets are met.

If you think you'll only get worse with that manager staying, then he should go. I don't think that's the case with Ole, not yet at least. I don't think he's the one to win titles for us, but we're a few years away from that anyway. I think he'll try to get us back to our roots as a football club, and his signings suggest that. I think he'll give a lot of chances to our promising youth, and that's what our club needs right now. If the youth progresses together and integrate with the existing players, then our squad will be in a really good place for the next few years, with or without Ole. That's my stance on him. He'll try to play attacking football, try to get a "United" mentality throughout, and what he's tried to do with transfers so far is everything many of us have wanted for ages. Sometimes he gets let down by Woodward, but I'm glad we still offloaded players like Sanchez, even if it's only a loan.

He'sRaldo

Think this is part of the issue. People not being able to separate Ole as a person/player and Ole as a manager.

I love him as a player but he isn’t ticking enough boxes in such a critical time to manage the club.
I think he's ticking quite a few boxes we need at this time, it just depends on where you're looking.

Not all of them of course, but some good ones nonetheless.

bosnian_red

No because I'm not sure what exactly people saw in those games that's so promising that we hadn't already seen umpteen times in games like that under Mourinho/LvG i.e. we look like the better team but our finishing is poor/can't really create chances and then get punished by silly defensive mistakes/naivety. I mean you can essentially have that as the blueprint of 80% of games we've played and drawn/lost against non top six opposition in the last 3 or 4 years.
We're creating more chances now under Ole then we did under previous managers, and our defence in these 4 games (only 4 though) has done well at containing the opposition, apart from the odd brainfart. It's only 4 games too. Freak results and mistakes happen. Give it some time before assuming missing pens in tight games at key moments is a normality.

Dr. StrangeHate

Good example. Many people wanted him gone even though we finished second. Using top four as the only metric when rebuilding is stupid and has proven so.
So the matches I have seen so far this season are no different to Jose's first season in which we made chances and couldn't finish. The style/excitement definitely hasn't improved from LVG or Jose. He hasn't give our academy youth a chance either like Lampard has.
The only positive is getting rid of average players but even that is not a complete positive considering their replacements at the club are even worse. I don't see why we need to drop our standards considering what we have seen so far. Am I seeing matches differently to other Caf members. Do you think we are playing better than first two season Jose or first season LVG.

OleTheGreat

Not every club and team means the same and i think it is totally different with us this season. I just want everyone here to be sure that we are going to struggle a lot this season but that's not because of Ole, it is because we have gotten rid of all the deadwood and are backing our academy to survive in the premier league. Although i do not believe that Ole is in no sense as good as SAF but i think we have the potential to bring out great players from our academy instead of always looking outside for a solution. We do have quality players in our academy and given time we'll come to understand that they are just as capable as others in Europe. As of now, i think Ole should pick a captain and stick to him (De Gea). We need to play decent sound football and try not to make too many errors.

Not as Ole says, if you lose the ball- go back and recover it. That doesn't work because once you lose possession, most teams will take advantage and move forward. Our second line of defense behind the forwards, is a bad bad one right now but only time can tell if they can keep it together against the bigger teams and of course playing away. All we now need is a good midfielder to take the pressure off of Pogba and let him go out and move in the attacking area a bit. He was frustrated with Jose playing him deep and i guess Ole will face the same problem if he continues to play the deeper role. Pogba creates many many chances when he plays in the CAM or LM, that's where he really makes things happen.

If you watch our matches carefully, we struggle to get our attacking act together every time we get the ball. That's just not gonna do it against the likes of City, Liverpool. Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. It is clearly visible that Maguire, Wan Bissaka are players who like the ball in the opposition half and always dictating play. We need our forwards to learn to play selflessly and to keep moving more often without the ball. Players shouldn't have to look for a pass, the pass must be evident and the opposition players should always be caught off guard.

I'm not suggesting we are the worst team in any sense but i think we have a long way to go!

fergiesarmy1

So the matches I have seen so far this season are no different to Jose's first season in which we made chances and couldn't finish. The style/excitement definitely hasn't improved from LVG or Jose. He hasn't give our academy youth a chance either like Lampard has.
The only positive is getting rid of average players but even that is not a complete positive considering their replacements at the club are even worse. I don't see why we need to drop our standards considering what we have seen so far. Am I seeing matches differently to other Caf members. Do you think we are playing better than first two season Jose or first season LVG.
First 2 season Jose and first season LVG got what they wanted in players in the majority. First season Ole has been stitched up left with a very limited squad after you get past the defence and could have had 12 points from 12 with a bit more luck.

Definitely enjoyed the football a bit more as well and we are playing with the youngest team in the premiership by a long way, might not be the best time to reduce that further.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
the lofty standards of Man Utd don't apply the same way they do with previous, and probably future managers. If Ole can solve some of our problems and make us a more attractive prospect, he doesn't need to be Pep or Klopp right now. And since it's unlikely we'll win the league in a few years, this is the perfect time to do this.
How incredibly convenient that the guy that everyone likes doesn't have to meet the standards of past or future Utd managers...!

Get out of here with that! FFS. That's crazy logic (or rather utter lack of logic).

It's like he's a fecking competition winner or something - "you just do your best, Ole".

And no, he doesn't need to be Guardiola or Klopp - but FFS he needs to be better than ANYONE ELSE MAN UTD COULD GET, and if he isn't, then why on Earth should any club settle for less...!?

Imagine buying a car, and you've got yourself £20,000 to spend - you walk into the dealership and realize that you can't get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari with that... so 'the nice salesman' offers you a Robin Reliant that brought you *great memories* as a kid when your mate's Grandad would take you all out for day trips to the football...

Just because you can't get a Lamborghini or Ferrari, doesn't mean you should settle on the fecking Robin and blow your £20,000 on such an outdated, low performance option.

No, you'd go elsewhere and you get yourself a fecking nice motor for £20,000 - you get the best thing that you can.

The gulf between Klopp / Guardiola and Ole is HUGE. They are Lamborghini coaches, and he's a manager who couldn't get work in the fecking Championship... and there are many, many managers between that gulf that we should be looking at as a club.

Those managers themselves may not be Klopp / Guardiola, but they at least belong in the PL!

Skills

Snitch
With time, those voices were always in the minority.
I'd say there was a 50/50 split up until Mourinho's final days.

When the next manager comes in, people will be shitting on Ole and his signings too.

romufc

Obviously no one would turn down the job offer, neither he can be blamed for accepting it.

In terms of bigger picture it's obvious that the club is rotten from the head and no sane DoF will appoint a rookie manager for a 2-3 years play on the back of 10 games.

Unfortunately it is how it is. I can see us going for the DoF route only after we lose any hope in the current status quo.
Exactly, if us fans who are not qualified can see there is something wrong.

There has to be someone on the board who actually gives a shit about Utd. Well I hope there.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
So what you're saying is that we have been unlucky for the past 3 or 4 years? Not quite. Under LVG we just passed the ball around a bunch. Kept possession with no real pressure and played with some stupid formations (Rooney is holding midfielder and DiMaria a striker). Under Mourinho I thought we were really good for most of the first season with some great attacking football. We played great and were unlucky. We made average keepers look world class (8 MOTM from opposing keepers). Then for some reason Mourinho decided to change from the attacking football to boring defensive football and it was all downhill. This year, so far we have been all about attacking football. We have been unlucky not to be on 12 points right now. But if we keep playing the way that we are the results will come. Judge Ole on a season, not 4 games...
No that's quite clearly not what I'm saying. I'm saying it doesn't look like he's fixed much of our problems based on these four games.

I'm more than happy to give Ole a full season but I only responded to you because you compared him to Klopp at Pool so I sure as hell hope you're right and he gets us to 4th like Klopp got Pool to 4th in his first full season.

Nikelesh Reddy

Expectation.
Our situation as a club is more complex than just looking at the top four metric.
So we don’t have any expectations anymore because Oles at the wheel??There always should be expectations and standards at United....We”ve dropped standards significantly over the last few years,and now we want to lower them even more...

Massive Spanner

We're creating more chances now under Ole then we did under previous managers, and our defence in these 4 games (only 4 though) has done well at containing the opposition, apart from the odd brainfart. It's only 4 games too. Freak results and mistakes happen. Give it some time before assuming missing pens in tight games at key moments is a normality.
I mean I disagree, xG me all you want but I saw the same issues in those four games I always saw which is a soft team that can't kill games off and shoots itself in the foot at some point.

I haven't said not to give Ole time, of course he should be given time, mainly because what the feck else would we do anyway? There's nobody available, the time to get an actual good manager and DoF in place is now gone and our whole club structure is rotten so it doesn't really matter who's in charge anyway. May as well ride it out.

haram

@Jimmy Skitz was on the other day saying he wouldn't swap Leicester's squad for ours and I believe him. Anyone thinking we have to finish top four is on cloud 9.
Lowering standards. People were upset when we finished 2nd but apparently its ok if we don't finish top 4 now.

He'sRaldo

How incredibly convenient that the guy that everyone likes doesn't have to meet the standards of past or future Utd managers...!

Get out of here with that! FFS. That's crazy logic (or rather utter lack of logic).

It's like he's a fecking competition winner or something - "you just do your best, Ole".

And no, he doesn't need to be Guardiola or Klopp - but FFS he needs to be better than ANYONE ELSE MAN UTD COULD GET, and if he isn't, then why on Earth should any club settle for less...!?

Imagine buying a car, and you've got yourself £20,000 to spend - you walk into the dealership and realize that you can't get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari with that... so 'the nice salesman' offers you a Robin Reliant that brought you *great memories* as a kid when your mate's Grandad would take you all out for day trips to the football...

Just because you can't get a Lamborghini or Ferrari, doesn't mean you should settle on the fecking Robin and blow your £20,000 on such an outdated, low performance option.

No, you'd go elsewhere and you get yourself a fecking nice motor for £20,000 - you get the best thing that you can.

The gulf between Klopp / Guardiola and Ole is HUGE. They are Lamborghini coaches, and he's a manager who couldn't get work in the fecking Championship... and there are many, many managers between that gulf that we should be looking at as a club.

Those managers themselves may not be Klopp / Guardiola, but they at least belong in the PL!
I understand your point, and I think you'd be right if our current objective was to get results every game with a view of winning something big this season. However, if our objective is to clean up the club and set it up for long term success, I think he'd be high on the list of managers we could hire. Maybe not at the very top, but high nonetheless. In fact, the job he did at Molde seems similar, although on a much smaller scale.

It's also undeniable that his past experience with the club helped him land the position, and while on the surface that seems bad, I think the decision-makers are hoping that he is able to instill the off-pitch standards we had previously, and move away from the strange culture we have imbibed in recent times. He is definitely trying to do that (in fact risking his job on it IMO) but whether or not he's successful remains to be seen.

Admittedly I'm sure he's not the only manager who can do this, however, I think his status as a club legend grants him more time which is what we need with regards to continuity (although judging by this forum, that seems doubtful right now). The other managers we hired were assigned to get us back to the top quickly, but eventually, we'd have to give a manager time to sort us out. And besides, I doubt any truly world-class manager would like to take over this kind of situation, as it does seem a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No that's quite clearly not what I'm saying. I'm saying it doesn't look like he's fixed much of our problems based on these four games.

I'm more than happy to give Ole a full season but I only responded to you because you compared him to Klopp at Pool so I sure as hell hope you're right and he gets us to 4th like Klopp got Pool to 4th in his first full season.
Gotta give him a chance and stand behind him in order for that to happen. The knee jerk reactions of some of our supporters is frustrating. If you can't see the progress and the direction then I don't know what to say. This is the first time since SAF retired that I am actually excited about what's going on with our club but some supporters look at the final score and that's all they see. There are exciting times ahead...

Massive Spanner

Gotta give him a chance and stand behind him in order for that to happen. The knee jerk reactions of some of our supporters is frustrating. If you can't see the progress and the direction then I don't know what to say. This is the first time since SAF retired that I am actually excited about what's going on with our club but some supporters look at the final score and that's all they see. There are exciting times ahead...
I was wildly excited in the early days of LvG, especially after his world cup success and the signings we'd made that summer.

I was even more excited in the early days of Jose as well as after we won the Europa under him and had what looked like a perfect transfer window.

So if the "first time you're excited" is under a manager with absolutely no experience at this level who currently has us sitting on our worst results streak ever in the PL after an extremely underwhelming transfer window that arguably weakened, not strengthened our squad then you have a pretty weird idea of exciting mate.

Gator Nate

I'm just curious what the Ole-out crowd would expect going forward from the management that put him in and gave him little help in the transfer market. I mean, sure, you can fire him based on a lack of results (which should be expected given the behavior of the club post-SAF, regardless of the manager), but you have to replace him with someone. Well, no, you don't. This management does. And last I looked, you weren't the ownership.

I understand your point, and I think you'd be right if our current objective was to get results every game with a view of winning something big this season. However, if our objective is to clean up the club and set it up for long term success, I think he'd be high on the list of managers we could hire. Maybe not at the very top, but high nonetheless. In fact, the job he did at Molde seems similar, although on a much smaller scale.

It's also undeniable that his past experience with the club helped him land the position, and while on the surface that seems bad, I think the decision-makers are hoping that he is able to instill the off-pitch standards we had previously, and move away from the strange culture we have imbibed in recent times. He is definitely trying to do that (in fact risking his job on it IMO) but whether or not he's successful remains to be seen.

Admittedly I'm sure he's not the only manager who can do this, however, I think his status as a club legend grants him more time which is what we need with regards to continuity (although judging by this forum, that seems doubtful right now). The other managers we hired were assigned to get us back to the top, but eventually, we'd have to give a manager time to sort us out. And besides, I doubt any truly world-class manager would like to take over this kind of situation, as it does seem a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment.
This. And he's risking more than his job - he's risked his professional coaching reputation. Ole has been set up to fail and is taking on the challenge anyway.

fergiesarmy1

How much lower can we stoop??Finishing 4th is not a realistic legitimate expectation anymore?This is unacceptable in my view...
If you had asked prior to the transfer window I’d have agreed with you but what they have done by leaving us so short of any quality backup options in midfield and attack has crippled any realistic chance of that. Injuries have already started to mount up and will continue to do so if you don’t have any alternative options, can’t wait to see Phil Jones up top at some point this season. It’s what dreams are made of.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This is the first time since SAF retired that I am actually excited about what's going on with our club
Utd - finishes Top 4

SadlerMUFC - 'meh...'

Utd - Wins FA Cup

SadlerMUFC - *yawns*

Utd - Wins League Cup and Europa in 1 season

SadlerMUFC - "BORING"

Utd - Hires Molde manager, under-invests comically and endures worse start in decades

SadlerMUFC - *Orgasms*

desirere

It's such a shame that so many of our fellow fans have such shortsighted views. If I can give you one advice it would be to just ignore the results of this and maybe even next season, we are working on something and its obvious with the way business was conducted. We sold/released quite a few players and haven't replaced half of them. This gives us a season to try out our talented academy players by giving them real chances throughout the season. And by the time the season is over the manager will have insight into who he can count on from the first squad and academy, the ones he can't will be moved on.

Trust me trying to build a new team + keep up in the PL at least for us, who haven't done anything in advance to prepare for SAFs retirement + replacing our aging spine of co92 leftovers and fading stars, is impossible. The current state of affairs we're in is our own fault for not going down this route in the first place. A new spine my friends, that is what we've been missing for a long time, even in Sir Alex's last couple of seasons the spine was getting old and weak. And one thing about Elite Club spines is that 8 out of 10 its made mostly out of Academy products + talented young. This of it like this, we'll have a bad season or two but by the time the third season comes we'll finally have a real squad.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
No way. Not even close. The standards have been dropped so much from their periods. Even our squad quality has gone backwards too. Van Gaal & Jose's teams would wipe the floor with this team. Van Gaal won a FA cup & Jose the Europa League + League cup. Can you see us winning a trophy under Ole anytime soon?

I see nothing of the so called improvements we have supposed to have made.

After 9 months now, the team is rigid and disjointed, we can't build up properly, nor do we have any idea of what to do vs compact defences. Pogba is on his own in midfield besides the fact he's also being played out of position.

All i see is a bunch of inexperienced kids and dross running around a lot but not in any intelligent meaningful way. The team looks poorly coached. Ole stands there looking clueless almost every match. He's reactive to the matches. The changes always come too late.

Under Van Gaal, he didn't need to have superstars for us to see what he was trying to accomplish, we could clearly see from pre-season the changes on/off the ball straight away. With Ole, to this day I still have no clue how he plans to get us competing again, apart from running a lot. We have added AWB & Maguire to the defence and the defence looks shoddy. What does that tell you? Van Gaal & Jose had inferior individual quality defenders but we were more solid at the back with them.

I'm not naive enough to think getting rid of Ole would help solve the issues at the club because the root cause of all our problems stem from the Glazer's management. After-all he wouldnt have got the job in the first place if they weren't incompetent. But I do think Ole is way out of his league vs the upper echelon of managers. Even top 10 coaches are more than a match for him.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Lowering standards. People were upset when we finished 2nd but apparently its ok if we don't finish top 4 now.
If Woodward in his wisdom decided to swap our squad for Salford's in the Summer would you still demand that Ole gets top 4 with them?

Most here would agree that this is the weakest squad we've had in the last 30 years. How can you hold it to the same standards set by our best ever sides?

brownyorkshireman

Seems like i'm the only one who sees a massive difference in our overall style of play compared to the previous 5/6 years-We just seem to be making a few defensive mistakes costing us games, and missing a CAM for us to dominate teams-For Ole to be doing this with a half awful squad I'm actually quite impressed. Results will follow I'm sure. No need to panic.

haram

If Woodward in his wisdom decided to swap our squad for Salford's in the Summer would you still demand that Ole gets top 4 with them?

Most here would agree that this is the weakest squad we've had in the last 30 years. How can you hold it to the same standards set by our best ever sides?
It was ok to do it when we finished 2nd though?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was wildly excited in the early days of LvG, especially after his world cup success and the signings we'd made that summer.

I was even more excited in the early days of Jose as well as after we won the Europa under him and had what looked like a perfect transfer window.

So if the "first time you're excited" is under a manager with absolutely no experience at this level who currently has us sitting on our worst results streak ever in the PL after an extremely underwhelming transfer window that arguably weakened, not strengthened our squad then you have a pretty weird idea of exciting mate.
or

And in the short time, he also set record for the consecutive away wins, 9 wins which was never done in our history.

We also beat Chelsea 4-0 which was the first time in 23/24 years.

Solskjaer also beat Chelsea at Bridge, something Jose, Van Gaal and Moyes didn't achieve and it was the first time since 2012. It was even rare feat for SAF during his time.

- Solskjaer was just the 3rd PL manager to win first 6 PL games, after Ancelotti and Pep
- Broke Sir Matt Busby's record of winning first 5 games as ManUtd manager.
- 9 consecutive away wins, first time in the history of the club
- Most points won in the opening 10 games by any manager for PL club
- Away wins at Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea. First time it happened since Atkinson time. Even SAF didn't achieve that.

There is unwanted record too like worst run of results but Ole has broken many positive records too.