Why are we loaning our first team bench?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Obviously this title is a bit OTT - but if rumours come true.

How long before:

Laird,
Tuanazebe,
Martial,
VDB,
Diallo,
Lingard
And Henderson (?) or Jones is better than our actual bench.

I know we have a deep squad but that’s a lot of squad players going. Worries me about an injury crisis for the rest of the season.

Zoo

I think only the CB position would be a worry.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Club seems happy sacrificing the season.

Red_toad

To get the unhappy players out of the dressing room and allow Ralf to get on his with job. Then reduce the wage bill so the owners can get a bigger dividend :rolleyes:

Zoo

Surely our midfield is one injury away from VDB being integral?
This is based on Pogba hitting the ground running on his return and Mejbri being involved with the first team. Two managers now aren’t involving Donny he has no future here.

Robertd0803

Elanga has already replaced Martial in the squad so thats that spot covered. Im guessing theres the hope Pogba is fully fit then and part of the first team so one of the midfield takes VDBs spot on the bench. Or else Pogba does.

Im wondering will we see Hannibal promoted to the first team squad when hes back.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well considering we barely use[d] it, we’ve got a bunch of first team players pissed off about a lack of game time, that we can’t sell so the only compromise we have is loans.

CM

Hasn't been the case for 18 months.

Rangnick's spoken quite openly about how bloated the squad is. I imagine he's happy to work with a smaller group and call upon younger players if we need reinforcements, similar to how van Gaal used to operate.

Thiagoal

I still think we will sign someone before the deadline to add a body in defence: midfield- probably the Marseille lad

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Players that could be on the bench in those positions:

AWB/Dalot
Bailly and Lindelof
Cavani
Matic/Fred
Sancho/Elanga/Pogba/Hannibal
Sancho/Elanga/Pogba/Hannibal
Bailly and Lindelof
Heaton

Oh and Mata for good measure. The squad is ridiculously big leading to far too many disgruntled players with high reputations and wages sitting around doing nothing. We’re doing the right thing and it should have been done in the summer.

sp_107

Oh and Mata for good measure. The squad is ridiculously big leading to far too many disgruntled players with high reputations and wages sitting around doing nothing. We’re doing the right thing and it should have been done in the summer.
This

Andrew7582

We've got Pogba and Mejbri to come back for the rest of the season, we'll be fine without him. We are only lacking in the dm position, but VDB isn't a dm anyway so him leaving doesn't change anything.

Ixion

Seems like a strange move to me. Don't think it would be a surprise if Baily, Pogba, Cavani etc picked up new injuries and we'd suddenly be short, not to mention if there is another outbreak of Covid.

kelvinwong2026

Even after the loans, basically we have 2 players for each positions, except the DMC. Hence if we bringing in a DMC then no problem. Big if though.

Abraxas

Because none of them have been used.

You can talk about an injury crisis, but what is the smarter move - save some money, shift players out who are probably moaning and griping, get them some football that will be of use in either reintegrating them or selling them or just stockpiling players in case of this hypothetical injury disaster that rarely comes to fruition?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

How long before:

Laird,
Tuanazebe,
Martial,
VDB,
Diallo,
Lingard
And Henderson
(?) or Jones is better than our actual bench.

I know we have a deep squad but that’s a lot of squad players going. Worries me about an injury crisis for the rest of the season.
Considering we’ve needed literally not one of those players in the first half of the season it seems just a tad melodramatic to worry about their absence in the second half.

@Mickeza is right. Our squad has been ridiculously bloated. This is long overdue. Getting wages for unwanted players off our books and giving youngsters with potential some much needed game time they sure as shit won’t get if they stay put.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pretty clear our squad is bloated with unhappy players.

mu4c_20le

Seems like a strange move to me. Don't think it would be a surprise if Baily, Pogba, Cavani etc picked up new injuries and we'd suddenly be short, not to mention if there is another outbreak of Covid.
I miss the days of the defensive injury crises.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Still hoping Ed does what he does best, gets us player or two on deadline day, 10 minutes before it ends. Social media goes nuts and everybody forgets about every other club and their transfer work, all the talk is about United.
Ed happy, we happy.

stevoc

How long before:

Laird,
Tuanazebe,
Martial,
VDB,
Diallo,
Lingard

Some of them were already on loan to be fair. And the rest really won't be missed.

choccy77

How long before:

Laird,
Tuanazebe,
Martial,
VDB,
Diallo,
Lingard

Because only our board buy's sh*t

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Martial, VdB, Lingard, Jones and Diallo played less than 6 games (minutes) between them in the league. That was with Rashford, Pogba, Varane and Cavani injured for large periods. Unlikely they'll be missed.

buckooo1978

players like Martial and VDB are barely getting a minute

had they been loaned in Summer what would we have missed?

CloneMC16

The players that left weren't getting any game time. They got the odd sub appearance. There is zero point in keeping unhappy players when they're getting next to no minutes. We have a massive squad. Players needed to leave.

Tarrou

our squad is too big and a lot of players want game time with the World Cup coming up

and we have an interim manager so it makes sense this board wont sanction buys

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They're leaving so talented ones like Greenwood or Elanga will have even more game time and tbh feels like the right way to go, especially after adding Ronnie & Sancho to first squad on top of it.

Not sure what Cavani's true fitness level is, perhaps there's probability he'll get injured again, but somebody from younger group of players needs to step up and it'll be perfect chance for it.

Deery

Dreary
Because the bench doesn’t even want to play for the club..

Bwuk

Our squad is far too big and ridiculously bloated.

marktan

The only one from that list I would've kept is Martial. It's good the rest are getting loaned, they're barely playing and bleeding their own value. Some game time and some good performances will benefit us both in better play when they come back / increased transfer value. Probably the club learned from Smalling, he went abroad and did exceptionally on loan and it saw us get a £20m return on a player we otherwise would've struggled to get £10m for.