Why aren’t there more players who dream of playing for United?

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Given our success during SAF’s tenure and our large fan base worldwide, one would think there are heaps of young players inspired by our success, or our players and became a pro due to that inspiration. One would also think that player would dream of playing in front of Old Trafford one day. This would make them favour a move to United over other teams. We have seen how this work for Real, Barca, Bayern and Juventus where they got the players’ hearts. This could reduce the price and the wage you would to pay in those cases. Even Liverpool had been able to sign players due to their past glory. Apart from players coming through the youth, we might have a rare case where we signed a player whose heart has always been set on joining us but it is quite rare and i don’t recall any in recent time. Could this be the football style we play? the appeal of our club? Could it be our strategy that does not focus on those players?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Money. We give a lot of it to people that don't have dreams of us. We have created our own inflation.

In Rainbows

It's 100% our football style in recent years and the downgrade of players. Kids grow up looking up to the best players and there is a bit of kool aid that happens with the culture of the club. Just look at Barca with their style that they never waver from in recent times and their hunt for the biggest attacking talents. Frenkie de Jong and de Ligt are perfect examples. de Ligt looked up to CBs like Vidic, Rio, and Terry. Frenkie grew up idolizing the Barca style.

de Gea and Pogba are two recent players that bend that in our favor, but it's a rarity. Who the hell dreams of being like Captain Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia? Well at least Valencia has Ecuadorian kids to look up to him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
When we get outplayed by Cardiff and Huddesfield, we are not doing ourselves any favors. Kids these days love beautiful football..joga bonito and fiery passion. We need entertainers on the pitch and our footballing philosophy only produce the worst kind of entertainers........clowns and wannabe fashion designers. That is another reason why I am not a fan of Ole. We need a manager that plays beautiful football.

Hawks2008

I imagine a lot of the players my age now have grown up with United being massively successful during the 2000's, especially if they were fans of the Premier league or were British. It's not hard to see that there would be many who would dream of coming and playing here.

But the 2000's was also the emergence of Messi and Ronaldo as the world's best. During their time at the top they helped their clubs to multiple league titles and champions league wins. For a lot of kids around the world who idolized these two Barca and Madrid are the peak so naturally many more would have dreams of playing for them.

I think even aside from lots of young fans and players gravitating to Madrid/Barca, there are still plenty who would dream of the PL and United. Problem is we have been poorly run for 6-7 years now, we are not as attractive a club as we used to be. But I still do think we have an appeal beyond money even if we do have lots of it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
There's a number of reasons, and here's another: we've avoided signing genuine superstars, whereas Barca & co have Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane etc to boast of. This stellar tradition of theirs surely attracts potential recruits.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They are plenty of players who dream to play for Manchester United. It is just that we are not like Madrid and Barca where it seems like players are contractually obligated to mention it was always their dream to play for the club.

In Rainbows

There's a number of reasons, and here's another: we've avoided signing genuine superstars, whereas Barca & co have Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane etc to boast of. This stellar tradition of theirs surely attracts potential recruits.
Yep. It's why I'm always of the opinion that United need to battle the culture of always letting Barca and Madrid get all the stars.

ManRed

So many reasons but it all comes down to us being a poorly run club with no structure and no fixed playing style. We are getting rid of managers every 2 seasons and hiring the next one who has a total different philosophy.

Any sensible player can see we have no real direction for the foreseeable future and why will he want to waste precious years of his career except if it is for $$$$.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Success and money is far more important than the childhood dream of any player.

I’m sure that a lot of kids were dreaming of playing for AC Milan when they had Shevchenko, Kaka, Pirlo and Seedorf. Nowadays what top player with ambition would want to go to Milan?

Nobody cared about PSG and Man City in the 2000s. Now PSG have Neymar and Mbappe, while City is probably the most attractive club in England. That’s what money and some trophies can buy you.

There are some rare exceptions, but usually money and trophies talk.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

I’m sure that a lot of kids were dreaming of playing for AC Milan when they had Shevchenko, Kaka, Pirlo and Seedorf. Nowadays what top player with ambition would want to go to Milan?

Nobody cared about PSG and Man City in the 2000s. Now PSG have Neymar and Mbappe, while City is probably the most attractive club in England. That’s what money and some trophies can buy you.

Exactly do people think the likes of Modric, Kroos, Bale, Varane, Ramos, Benzema were all Real supporters growing up. Or that Umtiti, Lenglet, Rakitic, Arthur were all Barca fans?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
See where We've been for the past 6 years and there's your answer. Forget about all the tradition crap - wealth and fame always come first for hot prospects, it's their future after all. Very good players want to be in a team that has a big chance of winning trophies on top of attractive salaries.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yep, a lot of fans have an overtly sentimental/romantic view of the industry of football when in reality, many, if not most professional footballers are obviously very pragmatic in their decision-making because it's their job, not a fairytale — and prioritize individual development, expected chances of success and money (considering a significant percentage forego a more mainstream education to pursue an intrinsically volatile career in football). The fortunes of clubs ebb and flow all the time, so it would be foolhardy to fixate on the one they might have an affinity for in their personal lives (unless they stumble upon a fantastical scenario where the ducks are in a row and most of their professional goals can be met by joining that club at a particular moment in time).

midnightmare

Sign them and each will say in the presser how he's always dreamed of playing for United. Before signing, you'd find it hard to see any player saying he "dreamed" of any club (barring the ones claiming Real Madrid or Barcelona and even that has dipped). We've just had de Ligt saying he only ever dreamed of Ajax - and doesn't have any other dream. No doubt, he'll be talking up how he "dreamed of United since I heard of Stam" or how he's "dreamed of Barcelona always" depending on who he joins. It's simple. Players now are more careful with their words.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Don’t understand the OP at all. Aside from Barca and Madrid, what clubs are top players dreaming of playing for? United always has and always will rank highly on lists of most desirable locations. Just a knee jerk reaction to a poor few years.

deafepl

I think United would be highly rated more if United keep dominating PL which is most viewed league in the world, playing nice football and improving United's squad from 2011 to be up with Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid challenging for UCL last 7 years, potentially far ahead of Barca/Real in revenue by more than 100m despite GBP lost nearly 20% of its value against euro due to Brexit.

Kaka said himself publicly he would be like to play for us someday and saw us as the best European team in the world during 2007-2009.

I think If we were at our best, more people would be opening to admit they would like to play for us one day.

Wener, Pulisic, Depay, Hazard, Sterling, Tieleman, Meunier, Manuel Akanji, Ramsey, Stone, Juan Cuadrado, John Terry, Michael Essien, Griezmann, Eric Dier, Talisca, Fekir, Keita Balde Diao, Lozano, etc were United boyhood fans

There are many more player supporting United when they were a kid.

Last edited:

SER19

We're not winning big trophies. Get us back winning league and competing in CL and they'll all be saying its their dream

Red_Aaron

In the vast majority of transfers it is the agent who plays the biggest role in the negotiations and so any players 'dream' will be someway down the list of priorities when compared to other business concerns. One particular priority will be just how big a payday the agent can secure for themselves out of the deal too btw

Don’t understand the OP at all. Aside from Barca and Madrid, what clubs are top players dreaming of playing for? United always has and always will rank highly on lists of most desirable locations. Just a knee jerk reaction to a poor few years.
I think at the moment clubs like Juventus, PSG, City, München & Liverpool (Madrid & Barca too obviously) rank higher on the list of attractive clubs than United. Then there's clubs like Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, the two Milan clubs, Atl. Madrid, Napoli & Dortmund that could potentially show off a more promising project than us.

History gives us nothing at the moment. If we had a rock solid club with a proper direction our history could probably give us the edge. But the last six years of poor decisions and chaotic structure is not doing us any favors. I can totally understand if players choose any of the mentioned over us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Well said and also if the quality of football played is nice, it's a bit of a bonus but for most like you said, it's about money.

Jib

We had a lot of good players but very few superstars. The superstar was Ferguson. Thanks to him, we were a dominant team for more than 20 years but winning isn't all. You can attract a lot of fans from USA, Australia, Indonesia or Kenya... ( not great football countries ) with our results because they are newbies and will root for the most sucessful teams but if you want to win over the kids of the greats football countries, you need superstars because the kids would look after the players, not the team.

Barcelona and Real Madrid understood that.

And that's why Ed is ready to sell all of our squad to keep Pogba.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
As Edwards once said, we were never really interested in becoming a European force. We only cared about winning in the local pond. Anything beyond that was considered as a bonus. Which is why the club refused to cough up for players like Batistuta who could have easily made us win another CL and went full skint mode to replace Irwin, Johnsen, Schmeichel and later on Jaap Stam. As long as we dominated the EPL the club was happy.

Which means that most foreign talent were raised up watching other clubs rather then us.

We need an rvn

Several factors.

People forget that when pro players make it, football becomes a job. Hence if you're lucky enough to be that good, a lot of players will chose the club that's hot. Aka the city's, Barca, juve over United currently. Would have been different years ago.

Weather plays a part in it for some. Yes you can live in the leafy suburb of elderly edge etc but it's still miserable and grey compared to Barca, milan and other clubs. It plays a part in some people's mind that's all I'm saying

The club structure. If one if our hot topics is how crap we're run at the moment and lack if direction etc don't you think some players and agents are discussing this too?

Ole...sorry, love the guy but I'm just not convinced.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I really have no idea what half this thread is talking about. Manchester United is probably the best supported club in the world. With the most recognisable name. We’ve had some of the most marketable names in the last few decades. There are no shortage of players who want to play for the club.

This always comes around when we are in for a big player, along with Barcelona or Madrid, and the player prefers them over us. Well, news flash, if I could make millions of pounds a year playing for Barca, living in Barcelona - beautiful city, with amazing food, great weather, gorgeous women, and Lionel Messi - or play for United. I’d sign for Barcelona too. And I’m a lifelong United fan.

People just find any reason to tear this club down. United have monstrous global appeal. And aside from the Spanish two, are a bigger draw than virtually anyone.

Skills

Snitch
Shit style contributes to it. You know your best abilities won't be maximised & it's a poor club for development too in recent years.

Our fanbase is also pretty fickle towards the players. You can't be real god of football here like you can at Madrid or Barcelona, but the fans will sure boo you and take their frustrations out on you like they do at Madrid & Barcelona. The managers/coaches will always the real stars in the eyes of Manchester United fans, and the players will always be the biggest scapegoats.

Ban

Money and success. Real and Juve haven't won players hearts, whatever that means. It's just that they have money, are successful and have a proper structure and plan. Same with Barcelona.
Liverpool isn't signing players on past glory alone, but players can see they're going places right now and are a hot prospect as a club.
United has the money and still has an appeal, but all other things are in shambles unfortunately.

Ban

Shit style contributes to it. You know your best abilities won't be maximised & it's a poor club for development too in recent years.

Our fanbase is also pretty fickle towards the players. You can't be real god of football here like you can at Madrid or Barcelona, but the fans will sure boo you and take their frustrations out on you like they do at Madrid & Barcelona. The managers/coaches will always the real stars in the eyes of Manchester United fans, and the players will always be the biggest scapegoats.
Players biggest scapegoats? I can recall maybe 3 times in the last 6 years players have been booed. United can't be compared to Madrid or Barcelona in that sense at all. If anything fans put up with mediocre players too long.

Ekeke

I think theres plenty from the UK and certain worldwide countries, but Spain tends to trump us for foreign players. I dont think it helps when they see United selling some of their best players to big Spanish clubs, like with Beckham and Ronaldo. That could easily give the idea to young developing foreign players that coming to United is great, as a way to get a move to a big Spanish club

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
See where We've been for the past 6 years and there's your answer. Forget about all the tradition crap - wealth and fame always come first for hot prospects, it's their future after all. Very good players want to be in a team that has a big chance of winning trophies on top of attractive salaries.
Problem is some.bigger star are actually getting less playing for barcelona than they can possibly get if they want to drop to united.

Mick1

Plenty of players still " dream " of playing for united, when they grew up seeing us successful, stable, and with a goat manager that could improve them playing with the best players in the world. We still had some of that appeal under Van Gaal and Mourinho, who tbf got us some of the best players in the word during their time. Money plays a part, and the premier league is becoming a bigger draw for players with the hopefully continued domination of European football.

I believe the biggest and worst decision post ferguson was not backing Mourinho last summer. I honestly believe Mourinho is up there with Guardiola and regrettably Klopp as the next batch of greats. He has achieved success everywhere he has, and whilst his " third season syndrome " does exist in some way, his achievements until there are unrivaled. Only he could have won the champions league with Porto and Inter whilst dominating their respective leagues. Only he could have gotten Real Madrid to even compete with the greatest side ever, only he could have gotten Chelsea their successive titles whilst absolutely dominating the league against none other than Ferguson, Then he came back and got them the league again with frankly a very poor squad relative to what other teams such as United, City and Liverpool had. At united, with a frankly shite squad, he won the European Cup, got us in the champions league and then got us to second against the best premier league side in history.

The common denominator in his recent jobs have has not solely been just falling out with players. Every single manager does it. When you fall out with the player as a manager, you sell them. If not, the player will become toxic to the squad, morale will drop, and the manager will be undervalued by the players. Fergie fell out with plenty of players, and if not fell out, had them sold. Fergie was backed in this regard. Mourinho never was. Not at Chelsea, Real or United despite achieving brilliant success. At Real he wanted Casillas and Ramos out. 2 players he deemed were too disruptive to the dressing room, and needed to be rid of. Playing for a manager who wants you out will always be toxic. His troubles at Chelsea were well documented. Mourinho, same as Guardiola, deserves the benefit of the doubt and the full backing of the club, something he has never received. He was supposed to get it here, at Manchester United. He got some players " wrong", every manager does, and he needs to get players to complement the others. I believe Lukaku can be one of the best strikers in the world in the right system, and Jose was not allowed to work his system. He wanted Pogba out ( potentially martial too ), you get them out straight away. Saying that, I think Pogba is our best players and Martial to be a supremely talented young footballers who is years away from his peak ( and European golden boy awrd to boot when he has the support of manager ). But Mourinho is a better manager than either players are as players. I would get rid oif Mourinho to keep Messi, no one else.

Now we have a manager who has won a couple of Norwegian league titles, failed miserably in the premier league and championship, and now has the biggest job in world football on his hands. Despite some players having united ambitions in the past, now is not the time to move here and potentially derail your career. We don't have the Mourinho pull, the success pull, just the money and hopefully past admirations of players.