Why aren't we more angry about players' wages?

devil in me

What makes me more angry than wages alone is the amount of money at the top level of the game , individual players earning upwards of 250k a week, clubs receiving millions and millions through TV money, and there's proper old school clubs going bust at the bottom end of the pyramid (see Hartlepool as the latest in a long line), where an agent's fee for one signing, or one days match day revenue, would secure their future for the next 15 years. It's wrong on so many levels.
Greed at the top level and not a care in the world for the club's struggling.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They aren't being targeted first. Clubs have been boycotted, agents have been vilified, sporting federations have been ridiculed. The question is why are players not included at all, rather than why are they included first.
Footballers aren't vilified or ridiculed? I simply don't think that's true. Players are regularly described and mocked for being greedy, overpaid prima-donnas, including in mainstream press. In fact certain outlets (*cough* Daily Mail *cough*) seem to delight in criticising players in a way that seems to have rather nasty class undertones. Few if any agents, clubs or owners receive the sort of unfair criticism that someone like Raheem Sterling has had to endure over the last few years, for example. When he buys his parents a house he's mocked and criticised in national newspapers for his out-of-touch, gaudy excess, yet when he shops in a discount store he gets mocked in national newspapers for being cheap. Far from escaping criticism, these working class lads present an easy target when compared to others in the sport who do more to deserve this sort of opprobrium.

Yet it's the players you mention in the OP in relation to 10% pay cuts and salary freezes.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Because in the grand scheme of capitalism football players' wages aren't one of the biggest atrocities.
That seems like a somewhat hollow and pointlessly snide point when made on a football forum. If all of our passion for and interest in things was dictated by how important they are in the grand scheme of things, then this place would never exist. The reality is we don't care about things because they're important, so that isn't the reason.

The reality is that some people do care about the finance of football. I'm asking why those people don't care about this aspect of it. Not why people who have better things in the world to care about, who spend their time on a football forums, don't care about it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
That seems like a somewhat hollow and pointlessly snide point when made on a football forum. If all of our passion for and interest in things was dictated by how important they are in the grand scheme of things, then this place would never exist. The reality is we don't care about things because they're important, so that isn't the reason.

The reality is that some people do care about the finance of football. I'm asking why those people don't care about this aspect of it. Not why people who have better things in the world to care about, who spend their time on a football forums, don't care about it.
I was answering for myself, really. I don't like footballers being as rich as they are but I object considerably more to other areas where people become obscenely wealthy.

Also, you're being a bit unnecessarily rude there, I think.

CapitalismSucks

Supports
Spurs
Why are we not more angry at players wages?
Huh.
Why are we not more angry at the 1% or even 0,0001%?

Bread and circus & divide and conquer mate.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Almost everyone thinks it's obscene and bizarre, but few seem angry about it.

The greed of these players, and the people they hire to advocate on their behalf, has a direct impact on the game and our experience of it. If everyone in the elite leagues took a 10% pay cut, the amount of money available to reinvest in grassroots development, stabilising ticket prices, improving the fan experience with new technology etc. would be huge. If it was reinvested it would undoubtedly improve all aspects of the game.

Obviously a 10% pay cut isn't something that's going to happen, and direct reinvestment of revenue back into the game isn't quite so straightforward. But even if salaries were to be frozen now, and there was a shared agreement that this money would be reinvested in the game, the impact would be huge. Yet when this is discussed the focus is on stopping costs from spiralling out of control, rather than actively contributing to the development of the game in a positive way.

However no-one seems to care. We just shrug our shoulders at individuals demanding obscene amounts of money that, directly and indirectly, we fund. And it is primarily for them to spend money on things that they don't need. In most cases it is greed, pure and simple. Yet they take no responsibility for it. The clubs are criticised for raising ticket prices and the agents are criticised for facilitating the greed, but players have a significant contribution to both.

Why aren't we angry about it?
Its not my money, i dont care how much they get.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

And all the attention Football gets is why players can command the wages they do.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

There aren't 20 options. Either you take football as it is or you reject it as a whole. Most of football fans just think crazy wages are part of the game: take it or leave it.

Because of the money involved nowadays, some are not or no longer interested in football; especially old people. That said, People just want to entertain and money matters for them only to attract the best entertainers.... or to moan-complain "my club is poor compared to others blah blah blah" "high salary but he's crap blah blah blah"

Finances of a football club matters for football fans in the sense that it would impact the financial strength of the club and so the ability to hire the greatest players-prospects (transfer fee, wages) and so... the best entertainers/performers.

Contrary to a lot of politicians, financiers, governments, banks and other financial companies,... football players haven't stolen their money: their wages are fully legal, legitimate and transparent.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Footballers are the new film stars.
No-one says a word at actors getting £50m a film or whatever.

And compared to fat cat bosses getting bonuses in the millions, at least these guys are our (supposed) entertainment and release.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its not my money, i dont care how much they get.
I find this a really strange, yet often repeated thing people say.

I presume from your location you don't go to games. But do you pay to watch games, buy the gear etc? That all in effect IS your money, and the prices all go up because of their wages.

SteveW

It’s not market forces

It’s the result of monopolistic TV licensing.

Why is the TV deal so lucrative? Because there is no competition. Games are licensed exclusively, to a single provider, who can in turn squeeze fans for more money (Sky’s prices have risen well above inflation through the PL era - that’s where the money is coming from). Regulators asleep at the wheel as usual.

If the licenses were more aggressively regulated (e.g what I would do and not permit exclusive licenses) you could have proper competition. For example BT and Sky showing the same matches, but competing on price and quality of coverage to the consumer.*

I’m not an advocate for the free market, but if you are, it should be obvious that sport TV licensing is not a properly functioning market.

* The PL and TV companies would probably argue that the consumer does have a choice because they could choose to watch a different game or a different sport or some other form of entertainment. We all know this is ridiculous given the emotional engagement and attachment that football fans have to their sport and the games of their chosen club.
The market sets the wages. Players will go to the clubs that pay the best. Clubs who pay less will fail to attract the best players. How clubs can afford to do it isn't the issue. The OP suggestion that players accept 10% less is unrealistic.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

I presume from your location you don't go to games. But do you pay to watch games, buy the gear etc? That all in effect IS your money, and the prices all go up because of their wages.
No once you pay money for a ticket etc it is their money. Same as when you go to the grocers. Or when you buy a car. Etc. the money is no longer yours, you exchanged it for a good or service. What the new holder of the cash does with it is up to them. Even when then waste it on gutless footballers.

Hansa

The comparison with movie stars doesn't really fit. If the price of watching movies suddenly went through the roof, and two-minute cameos also fetched 50M, then people would begin complaining.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Indeed, anyone who goes to the stadium, subscribes to specific channels that broadcoast football games, buys shirts.... contributes to the financing of this circus.

Also, diverse companies are ready to sponsor at a high price the circus because the circus attracts our interest: principle of advertising. That is why companies like Heineken, Mastercard, Unicredit... sponsor the Champions League.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
The comparison with movie stars doesn't really fit. If the price of watching movies suddenly went through the roof, and two-minute cameos also fetched 50M, then people would begin complaining.
That is on the owners. They could lower ticket prices but, they wont.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If anything, you get less from the film star, as they've done their work, and pocketed the huge money.
At least our guys are turning out every week. To some level!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Movies actors and football players belong to the same family, the entertainers' family.

Edinburgh

Supports
Man City
No players are worth anything like the salaries they command. It is obscene. Ask yourself this. How many Arsenal fans now support Utd because Sanchez has moved there? Or Utd fans no longer support Utd once Ronaldo went to Madrid and now only watch Spanish football etc etc etc. You support the shirt not the player in the shirt. Although I accept it is the armchair fans who pay for the wages and not the Ones who go to the games and there is an element of fickleness there but I think my point still stands

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
No players are worth anything like the salaries they command. It is obscene. Ask yourself this. How many Arsenal fans now support Utd because Sanchez has moved there? Or Utd fans no longer support Utd once Ronaldo went to Madrid and now only watch Spanish football etc etc etc. You support the shirt not the player in the shirt. Although I accept it is the armchair fans who pay for the wages and not the Ones who go to the games and there is an element of fickleness there but I think my point still stands
I agree but they are the basis of a very lucrative business: so they receive their share. Shocking but logical.

Hansa

Movies actors and football players belong to the same family, the entertainers' family.
Well, maybe, but still there are more differences: I don't have to follow certain movie stars, directors or production companies. If the movie is panned, enough people will stay at home, and whoever was involved in the making probably won't be paid equally well next time.

It's not like I'll suddenly start following another club, or another league which gives better value for money. You're kind of stuck once you become a fan.

VP

Wages in football are merely another symptom of modern capitalism. People don't care for the same reasons, most people don't care about far more unjust inequality in other industries.

More interesting question is why do football fans, and especially English football fans, care so little about their club's ownership?

Camilo

They're the peak few thousand in a world where hundreds of millions play and have dreamt of being a professional. It's how the world works - it's the same in all areas. No point in being bitter about it - be proactive in sorting out the core issues - get involved in politics.

Rich people are fine, they pay for our services, it's important we make sure the government enforce it.

Kag

I don't think footballer's wages really bother most normal folk. They aren't to blame for any problems people in the UK may face, so why should I care?

There are a feck load of people to blame for any woes we face before we reach footballers.

Paul_Scholes18

There is so much corruption all around anyway. I think that is why we might not focus so much on the football players that gain more a lot as a result of politics and the society we live in. We are all part to blame for the world we live and we deserve in union praise if we can improve it together.

Pacificgi

It would be nice to have a system where they agree their maximum wages and the manager decides how much of their wages they deserve each week based on the performance. Bench players get their full wages regardless but its mainly for starters. Downside of it is pogba wouldnt be able to pay his gas bill this week

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well, maybe, but still there are more differences: I don't have to follow certain movie stars, directors or production companies. If the movie is panned, enough people will stay at home, and whoever was involved in the making probably won't be paid equally well next time.

It's not like I'll suddenly start following another club, or another league which gives better value for money. You're kind of stuck once you become a fan.
Sure but there are similarities in the business model: a lot of money involving a limited number of Stars.

Let's take a movie, say Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
>>> Cost of the movie, around 300 millions of dollars
>>> Sales: 964 millions of dollars
>>> Movie lasts 168 minutes
>>> Limited number of Stars: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush....

No surprise that actors like Johnny Deep generally earn more than 50 millions per year.... and contrary to football players, their career isn't short!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ferdinand talked about this few weeks ago, F1 drives, Golfers all are paid very good money and no even talks about that.

Not sure why anyone should be angry about player's wages as ticket prices won't be reduced anyways and all the profits will just go to owners.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ferdinand talked about this few weeks ago, F1 drives, Golfers all are paid very good money and no even talks about that.

Not sure why anyone should be angry about player's wages as ticket prices won't be reduced anyways and all the profits will just go to owners.
So true

Hansa

Sure but there are similarities in the business model
I'm not disputing that. I'm talking more about one of the main reasons why people are complaining about players' wages: The increasing cost for you and me. I've yet to hear stories of movie buffs who've had to give up their hobby because it's too expensive.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
This would also be myself. People don't get outraged because while the numbers are obscene (as it is with movie stars and music stars) their wages are legal, legit and not shady as how Stan Kroenke and Donald Trump obtained their wealth by screwing over the little guy.
For me I am far more outraged how that cnut John Paulson earned his billions.

Contrary to a lot of politicians, financiers, governments, banks and other financial companies,... football players haven't stolen their money: their wages are fully legal, legitimate and transparent.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm not disputing that. I'm talking more about one of the main reasons why people are complaining about players' wages: The increasing cost for you and me. I've yet to hear stories of movie buffs who've had to give up their hobby because it's too expensive.
You're right. We are all addicted in a certain sense

Other reasons are:

1. Football is just the sport #1 in the world
2. People never say "This actor is bad and doesn't deserve his salary" but rather "I've watched the game, my team has lost and that player was crap and I know he earns a lot of money".
3. When you follow a club, you can't escape articles about financial considerations
4. Actors have a better image, a more glamorous image while footballers are reputed stupid and brainless

Also, the ticket prices are overly expensive because the demand exceeds the offer. Tonight, there is a game and you owns a club. The capacity of the stadium is 70,000 and you know that 300,000 people would be happy to attend. If you're the owner you raise the prices. Market forces.

20 domestic TV channels wants to broadcast the Premier League. Market forces.

Last edited:

MickyOT

The reality is market forces drive high wages. And to be angry at player wages is to be angry over others taking the best job offer that they can. It's what the vast majority of people in any industry do!

In a bizarro world where a dictator of football was elected and made all clubs suddenly cut wages in half, all you would see is other clubs competing for these now 'discounted' players and offering more and more money until player wages returned to exactly where they are now.

Remember, its not just players wanting to maximise their profits which drives wages, it's clubs. Club owners make make big money offers to players to lure them to their club so that they in turn can be successful and make money. In that sense players are played exactly what they are worth, no more, no less.

It should also be said that like in many industries, football players do take into account factors apart from monetary rewards when deciding upon who to play for (such as location, chance of winning trophies, playing time, etc.). This is much the same as in other industries where employees take into account factors like location, working hours, skills-uplift and quality of work, when deciding upon their employer.

There is actually more loyalty in football than in most industries with there being many examples of players refusing better offers to play for their childhood clubs or clubs they feel an allegiance to. I couldn't care less which company I work for, I just want the most money and the best conidtions I can get!

Reactions: 711

LJJT

I agree with the OP. Too much money, they don’t care like they should do. Funny how we always come to life when we are 1nil down. Every passing game just shows how great SAF was.

el3mel

Because we’re paying for it, due to over priced merchandise, ticket sales and tv packages.
Might as well stop watching football if that's the case.

Players are employers. You should pay them well if you want to get good job from them. Top players should always being paid the most. Was and will always be the case.