Why British Asians don't make it pro

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What does having their own league having to do with becoming a pro though? I'm sorry, but there league is most likely a shit level. Loving football and having your own league doesn't make you any good at football. In fact, having their own league only makes them worse.
I think you misconstrued that post. It was countering the whole ‘Asians prefer cricket’ argument.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
In terms of football, the cultural reasons behind the lack of Asian participation in football are primarily the same across the board. The stereotype of the career focussed Asian who wants to please his parents by excelling in education and becoming a doctor or lawyer is just as real amongst Chinese and Filipinos as it is for Indians.

While Asia is hugely diverse and multicultural, I would argue that Asian values are pretty universal.
That would be true if you could condense the whole issue down into Asians simply being more focused on education and careers than others, but that simply isn't true. There are a huge number of factors at play here.

There are distinct cultural differences between these demographics which may influence their ability to become professional sportsmen/woman. A British Sikh is brought up in a significantly different environment to a British Muslim, or Hindu. Those intricacies should be one of the first things realised by someone wanting to examine this issue.

Lynty

The big points have been covered.

But another isnteresting point I’ve discussed with my Bengali freinds, is social integration.

Afro Caribbean’s have largerly integrated into a white society, and have adopted a very British culture at an earlier stage.

You still get ‘predominantly black’ neighbourhoods, but not so much as you get ‘bengali neighbourhoods’ (especially so in the 80s, 90s early 00s).

This results in a stronger culture in these areas, lifestyle and interests. Peer pressure is also stronger and more influential in these closer knit communities.

This transfers to school, where you (used to) see ‘asain’ dominated circle of friends mainly because they all live close by and knew each other growing up. Which in turn results in them not really playing regular football outside this group of freinds, with less competition and no real guidance.

By the time a talent is discovered, it’s usually as a teenager and too late.

Of course, all this has changed now. I’m positive we’ll see British asains coming throug academy’s in the next decade.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Unsure if it’s been mentioned as only skimmed thread but a big issue is genetics to an extent. At youth level, physicality is key and statistically Asians are (for lack of better words) weaker and smaller. It’s very hard to break through without being a standout physically for your age; either in terms of pace or strength. It’s improving now in terms of scouts looking more at technical ability but British football has had huge issues in the past where big lads are favoured.

RedTiger

Half mast
The big points have been covered.

But another isnteresting point I’ve discussed with my Bengali freinds, is social integration.

Afro Caribbean’s have largerly integrated into a white society, and have adopted a very British culture at an earlier stage.

You still get ‘predominantly black’ neighbourhoods, but not so much as you get ‘bengali neighbourhoods’ (especially so in the 80s, 90s early 00s).

This results in a stronger culture in these areas, lifestyle and interests. Peer pressure is also stronger and more influential in these closer knit communities.

This transfers to school, where you (used to) see ‘asain’ dominated circle of friends mainly because they all live close by and knew each other growing up. Which in turn results in them not really playing regular football outside this group of freinds, with less competition and no real guidance.

By the time a talent is discovered, it’s usually as a teenager and too late.

Of course, all this has changed now. I’m positive we’ll see British asains coming throug academy’s in the next decade.
Agree with you mate.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
With regards to genetics, that's not one to dismiss. It is true that nutrition has an enormous impact. There are always outliers though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is some next level stupidity.

British = Footballing dinosaurs.
Asian = Higher level of thinking and technique blah blah blah. More like Brazilians that have been held back by the English....except they've not exactly done anything in any other league in the world either.

I've played with and against a lot of Asian players as there are large communities where I'm from. A lot play like they think they're Brazilian but you figure them out within the first two minutes of the game because they are so greedy. From those I've played with there hadn't been a lot of football intelligence, which is quite the opposite from what you've said.
This is some next level stupidity.

British = Footballing dinosaurs.
Asian = Higher level of thinking and technique blah blah blah. More like Brazilians that have been held back by the English....except they've not exactly done anything in any other league in the world either.

I've played with and against a lot of Asian players as there are large communities where I'm from. A lot play like they think they're Brazilian but you figure them out within the first two minutes of the game because they are so greedy. From those I've played with there hadn't been a lot of football intelligence, which is quite the opposite from what you've said.
The British have been known as footballing dinosaurs across Europe and the wider world if we are looking strictly at the post Mid 80s era and as can be seen in our national team set up for aeons.

There’s absolutely a culture clash which whilst not the only reason as I set out in my post definitely plays a huge role in lack of youth development of Asians and closes off pathways in English football.

Any other league in the world? Where else in the world is there such a strong diaspora of Asians? And in a country which is football mad? England is unique in that sense as it is a ‘home away from home’ for Asians of the subcontinental region.

Your mindset and perception in the final paragraph rightfully or wrongfully sums up the cultural barriers Asians have to face as their way of playing is just very counter to the English culture. I would agree that Asians are more individualistic and ‘ball-hoggy’ but I disagree that is a symptom of lack of footballing intelligence in all cases ... it’s just that Asians in a general sense love to be with the ball and as I mentioned English football has traditionally been about ‘graft’ and getting stuck in - it’s why artists like Hoddle and Scholes went unappreciated for so many years.

I expect with the ongoing coaching revolution in English football and the realisation that we have been very conservative in the way we view the game, this will open doors for Asian footballers to come through - subject to the other points I mentioned being addressed to. It all has to happen simultaneously for breakthroughs to be made and to be maintained.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Interesting discussion and one I would like to forward my opinion on.

As a young British Asian myself (late twenties) I grew up playing football with all sorts of people. I grew up in a small town, so did not really integrate into Asian culture much as there were not many here in the first place!

I would say there are a few factors as to why there are virtually no British asians in the game today...

Culture : As many people have pointed out here many seem to have an interest in many sports - not solely on football. However lets go a little deeper into culture here, I've found that Muslims tend to have a much stronger, tighter bond with another as Cricket is the most popular sport. Obviously in Pakistan (which the majority of Muslims are here) Cricket is the dominant sport. Hindus and Sikhs tend to have less strict of a cultural bond. Statistically most British Asians are Pakistanis here.

Put it simply, Pakistanis are not fully integrated into white society compared to Sikhs / Hindus. Large concentrations live together and are not randomly scattered in smaller less culturally diverse areas which affects their upbringing.

Now from a Sikh perspective it seems many of my family and friends come from a generation of business - small or big it's another culture thing I guess. My parents owned a business, when my grandparents came here in the 50's they also had multiple businesses. My cousins and friends being largely the same. I guess its another culture trait, focus less on sports and more elsewhere. Mainly focus on a sustainable way of earning an income to provide for your future family.

Playing football however, I have noticed Asians of any background are very good. Technically they are excellent, but lack in decision making and defending. Most treat football as a hobby so I guess most want to play up front/winger/midfielders where it's more exciting. I read somewhere on here that genetics aren't strong? On the contrary many are of small, slim build with quicker feet which enhances their technical ability.

In conclusion I just hope parents can push their children to take more sports seriously if they feel they have a talent. I believe British Asians, like any other ethnicity are more than capable of stepping up for England if given the right coaching.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
There are a billion people in India alone, not including, Pakistan, Bengal and Sri Lanka. That's a third of the world. The idea that they are genetically inferior to white Europeans hence can't play football professionally is absurd and dangerously racist.

The food thing, again, is rubbish. What is it that Asians eat or don't eat that's so bad? Putting aside that meals from Tamil Nadu are different from meals in Punjab, do Asians not eat enough beef? Or is chicken and rice really unhealthy compared to a Sunday roast? Or maybe it's the same food just lower quality, because Southall gets worse food delivered to them than Croxeth or Moss Side?

Education aspirations might have been slightly different with generation 1, but that was because the Asian dispora was of middle class go-getters, and the second have produced Asian boxers, cricketers, badminton players, hockey players, wrestlers and kick boxers, but it was only in the richest of sports that asian parents didn't support their off spring?

We've had loads of American goalkeepers and loads from the most random of nations, even Sly Stallone played in goal with Bobby Moore in defence. But Asians can't be goalkeepers either.

Definitely not racism though

Last edited:

Stacks

What does having their own league having to do with becoming a pro though? I'm sorry, but there league is most likely a shit level. Loving football and having your own league doesn't make you any good at football. In fact, having their own league only makes them worse.
The point I was making is they are enthusiastic about football. There was a documentary about this a few years ago where the county captain was Asian yet he was the only one in his side not picked up by pro club. Apparently scouts were being told not to go for them

Righteous Steps

The British have been known as footballing dinosaurs across Europe and the wider world if we are looking strictly at the post Mid 80s era and as can be seen in our national team set up for aeons.

There’s absolutely a culture clash which whilst not the only reason as I set out in my post definitely plays a huge role in lack of youth development of Asians and closes off pathways in English football.

Any other league in the world? Where else in the world is there such a strong diaspora of Asians? And in a country which is football mad? England is unique in that sense as it is a ‘home away from home’ for Asians of the subcontinental region.

Your mindset and perception in the final paragraph rightfully or wrongfully sums up the cultural barriers Asians have to face as their way of playing is just very counter to the English culture. I would agree that Asians are more individualistic and ‘ball-hoggy’ but I disagree that is a symptom of lack of footballing intelligence in all cases ... it’s just that Asians in a general sense love to be with the ball and as I mentioned English football has traditionally been about ‘graft’ and getting stuck in - it’s why artists like Hoddle and Scholes went unappreciated for so many years.

I expect with the ongoing coaching revolution in English football and the realisation that we have been very conservative in the way we view the game, this will open doors for Asian footballers to come through - subject to the other points I mentioned being addressed to. It all has to happen simultaneously for breakthroughs to be made and to be maintained.
This hasn’t been the case for more than 20 years though, and Scholes and Hoddle still made it to the very top. Also the most heralded British players all have a high level technique, if they happen to have stand out physical attributes then that is for the best, in every part of the world an athlete with technique is more valuable than a technition with no athleticism it’s the same all over the world, and if you look at England youth teams now it’s filled with players of this ilk, it’s always been.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not a British Asian. So take my opinion as you see fit.

1. Contrary to whatever you belief all sorts of "ASIAN" has their own view of what constitute as Asian. In my case Asians are East Asians / South east Asian. Nobody plays cricket apart from Pakistan / India in Asia, and as weird as it sounds, most Asians view Indian and Pakistan separately and didn't consider them Asian, they're Indian. And yes, we know India/Pakistan is part of Asia. It's akin to calling Russian as Asian, they're technically in Asia but you know A Russian is anything but Asian. Quite confusing to British people I know, but Asia is too big and diverse to be lumped as one. Even Indonesian didn't think they're Asian, they think they're Malay race and they mostly don't like China. The Thai never says they're Asian, they say they're Thai people. Indonesian never says they're Asian, they're Indonesian first and foremost and that's it. The Chinese are big enough to say they're Chinese without having to be labeled as Asian. The Japanese also says they're Japanese. Ask any Japanese you find in UK and if they say they're British Asian I'd laugh my arse off.

2. For Indonesian born abroad we almost never claim we're "British Asian" or American Asian, or Japanese Asian or whatever silly PC terms for it. We identify ourselves as Indonesian. That's it. We simply say Indonesian living in UK regardless of what our citizenship says. I believe ditto for Chinese/Japanese/etc. They'll never fully accept they're British and not their original race.

3. Actually it's the same for European, most European in my country that has assimilated with the locals never claims they're Indonesian European, they simply call themselves "put their origin" and that's it.

4. Did I say we never even heard of Cricket?

5. The fact that some of you are arguing that cricket is the biggest sport in Asia is absolutely laughable and anything that comes next should be discarded as such. NOBODY plays and watch cricket other than the Indians / Pakistans, probably a few Indian in Malaysia plays abit of park cricket. Football is the biggest sport in Asia.

6. The term Asian is very misleading. Its like lumping "Belarusian, Russia, Czech, Americans, Scots, Irish, Mexican, South America, Russian" as Westerner.

Zlatattack

There are a billion people in India alone, not including, Pakistan, Bengal and Sri Lanka. That's a third of the world. The idea that they are genetically inferior to white Europeans hence can't play football professionally is absurd and dangerously racist.

The food thing, again, is rubbish. What is it that Asians eat or don't eat that's so bad? Putting aside that meals from Tamil Nadu are different from meals in Punjab, do Asians not eat enough beef? Or is chicken and rice really unhealthy compared to a Sunday roast? Or maybe it's the same food just lower quality, because Southall gets worse food delivered to them than Croxeth or Moss Side?

Education aspirations might have been slightly different with generation 1, but that was because the Asian dispora was of middle class go-getters, and the second have produced Asian boxers, cricketers, badminton players, hockey players, wrestlers and kick boxers, but it was only in the richest of sports that asian parents didn't support their off spring?

We've had loads of American goalkeepers and loads from the most random of nations, even Sly Stallone played in goal with Bobby Moore in defence. But Asians can't be goalkeepers either.

You make some really good points there. It's not like Rooney grew up eating a Mediterranean diet...

This is the thing about this type of discussion, the same pov can be both right and wrong. It's all very nuanced.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm not a British Asian. So take my opinion as you see fit.

1. Contrary to whatever you belief all sorts of "ASIAN" has their own view of what constitute as Asian. In my case Asians are East Asians / South east Asian. Nobody plays cricket apart from Pakistan / India in Asia, and as weird as it sounds, most Asians view Indian and Pakistan separately and didn't consider them Asian, they're Indian. And yes, we know India/Pakistan is part of Asia. It's akin to calling Russian as Asian, they're technically in Asia but you know A Russian is anything but Asian. Quite confusing to British people I know, but Asia is too big and diverse to be lumped as one. Even Indonesian didn't think they're Asian, they think they're Malay race and they mostly don't like China. The Thai never says they're Asian, they say they're Thai people. Indonesian never says they're Asian, they're Indonesian first and foremost and that's it. The Chinese are big enough to say they're Chinese without having to be labeled as Asian. The Japanese also says they're Japanese. Ask any Japanese you find in UK and if they say they're British Asian I'd laugh my arse off.

2. For Indonesian born abroad we almost never claim we're "British Asian" or American Asian, or Japanese Asian or whatever silly PC terms for it. We identify ourselves as Indonesian. That's it. We simply say Indonesian living in UK regardless of what our citizenship says. I believe ditto for Chinese/Japanese/etc. They'll never fully accept they're British and not their original race.

3. Actually it's the same for European, most European in my country that has assimilated with the locals never claims they're Indonesian European, they simply call themselves "put their origin" and that's it.

4. Did I say we never even heard of Cricket?

5. The fact that some of you are arguing that cricket is the biggest sport in Asia is absolutely laughable and anything that comes next should be discarded as such. NOBODY plays and watch cricket other than the Indians / Pakistans, probably a few Indian in Malaysia plays abit of park cricket. Football is the biggest sport in Asia.

6. The term Asian is very misleading. Its like lumping "Belarusian, Russia, Czech, Americans, Scots, Irish, Mexican, South America, Russian" as Westerner.
Would've sworn they played Cricket in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, and most of their spinners have perfected the 'Chinaman' ;)

IronCroos37

Why so few mexicans make it in top european football. There culture breath football just like brazil. Also mexico big population.

Litch

I agree. Some of the views belong where they came from in 70's and 80's.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This hasn’t been the case for more than 20 years though, and Scholes and Hoddle still made it to the very top. Also the most heralded British players all have a high level technique, if they happen to have stand out physical attributes then that is for the best, in every part of the world an athlete with technique is more valuable than a technition with no athleticism it’s the same all over the world, and if you look at England youth teams now it’s filled with players of this ilk, it’s always been.
So for the past 20 years the English national set up has been at the forefront of the games modernisation and is one of the most forward thinking FAs in the game?

Whilst the club game at the very elite level (specifically United) have broken down barriers and been at times leaders in the game - generally speaking English football on the whole has remained very backwards and conservative.

Secondly the main point to draw from all this is that the national set up plays a huge role in setting the standards and vision of how the game is developed at grass roots level so let’s just assume United and other clubs were doing what they can to promote the game in Asian communities - the fact the English FA were doing feck all would have massively restricted the overall approach across the country. The FA runs the coaching courses and lays out the principles that young aspiring coaches integrate into their own game. You only have to draw an analogy with cricket where it has taken years for England to play a modern brand of cricket in ODi and embarrassing themselves consistently at World Cup level an arena which suits the more flair player (a mindset the English cricketer wasnt encouraged to have due to coaches up and down the country but following the hymn sheet of the ECB).

It’s only since the Barca revolution that there has been a paradigm shift in the FAs thinking and even then I would argue it has taken ages since then to modernise it’s practices and only the arrival of Southgate has heralded the arrival of a more forward thinking approach to the game. Before then we were still stuck with likes of Woy and negative foreign managers.

I think the average football fan in England has no idea the damage the national set up has caused to the development of the game in England and is somewhat blinded by the achievements of the EPL which has borrowed heavily through the exploits of its foreign players.

The revolution in the games of Spain and Germany was only possible because of the work of their football federations.

You only have to look at this whole Brexit shambles to realise that a significant part of the English population aren’t as bright as they like to think on the whole (unfortunately a lot of these guys wield power in sporting circles) so many are stuck in their old ways and have a colonial mindset. They have very old fashioned views of how things should be done and a belief the British approach is superior.

Very different mindset to certain European neighbours even if in England direct racism has not really been an issue - institutional and indirect racism plays a huge role in the corridors of power and just the general culture and mindset is very incompatible with Asian culture.

Last edited:

Lynty

I believe it's just pure number.

Less Mexican in Europe = Less Mexican becomes a footballer in Europe
Less Asian In Britain = Less British Asian becomes a footballer in Europe
During the 2011 consensus, out of 60m people in Britain

7.6% are from an Asian ethnic background

3% from a black ethnic background

Beaucoup

When my lad was playing grass roots football at 7 & 8, you simply didn't see many Asian kids playing football, even though there was a large Asian community near the ground.

GBBQ

Football isn't this welcoming rainbow coallition of ethnicities and orientations. Its a predominantly straight white male sport and, though its slowly improving, we're still seeing Raheem Sterling getting racially abused by opposition fans and we're yet to see an openly gay Premier League player. If we're not seeing british Asian players breaking through its probably down to such people not feeling welcome or supported by the sport.

Beaucoup

Football isn't this welcoming rainbow coallition of ethnicities and orientations. Its a predominantly straight white male sport and, though its slowly improving, we're still seeing Raheem Sterling getting racially abused by opposition fans and we're yet to see an openly gay Premier League player. If we're not seeing british Asian players breaking through its probably down to such people not feeling welcome or supported by the sport.
Rubbish

Lynty

Possibly a contribution, but I wouldn’t say it was the primary cause. Black players broke through 2 generations ago.

I do often wonder about gay players though. That is very strange. But to be honest, I don’t think I’d come out if I were gay and a pro footballer. Purely because of the fans chanting

RochaRoja

“Football is primarily a white sport” is a weird as hell comment. It’s the most popular sport in the world and, as a spectator sport, is in the top two most popular in pretty much every country in Asia.

Even if we’re just talking about within the UK, players of black ethnic backgrounds are waaaay over represented as a percentage of professional British footballers compared to the percentage of people in the UK population.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Excellent and interesting thread.

1. It should be recalled that the number of players born in the UK and playing at the highest level is relatively low compared to the surrounding countries. If a top club has a squad of 30 players including 3 players born in the UK in a context in which between 5 and 10% of the population has origins in Asia. It is not realistic to expect a high number of Premier League players born in the UK with Asian origins.

2. This discussion is necessary tricky. Cultural aspects can not be overlooked in regards to this thread. These aspects deserve to be discussed. Generalities should be presented, refined but - on the other hand - one can argue every individual is unique and has his own story.

If we imagine a social theory that works in 60% of cases:
a) Does it mean this social theory is absolutely bullshit because it doesn't work in 40% of cases?
b) Does it mean the approach is automatically racist? I don't think

3. The issue is not to see people holding prejudices at a point in time but to have them unable to question these prejudices and generalize, oversimplify things.
For example, I can say "I'm inclined to think that 80% of French politicians don't listen to rap", which doesn't mean "Politicians are not made to listen to rap". The issue would be rather to say 'I need to recruit an expert in rap and won't consider the application of a politician because I'm sure he doesn't listen to rap'.

4. Understand the proposed subject of discussion requires taking into account the feelings/views of both Asian people and non-Asian people. Opinion from any side are the welcome to understand the full picture

5. What I understand is a lot of Asian people consider suffering from discrimination/racism in the amateur football world. The interesting thing is a small minority of people think in France small white people are discriminated against, implying tall and strong black people whatever their technical skills tend to be preferred by recruiters and coaches.

6. I think we can all agree that countries like India (1.4 billion of people) and China (1.4 billion of people) are not mostly known for their football players. The explanation #1 regarding the British case can't be 'Because of the DNA or diet regime', it's mainly a matter of cultural considerations but also social ones.

7. Terminology. Some would argue that the term 'Asian' means nothing. I imagine that 80% of Asian people born in the UK come from 3 or 4 countries? Do these countries tend to consider football in a same way? I don't know but discussing some cultural aspects is not necessarily an unhealthy thing.

Even if we’re just talking about within the UK, players of black ethnic backgrounds are waaaay over represented as a percentage of professional British footballers compared to the percentage of people in the UK population.
Some are 'over represented', some less. That's life.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

I reckon it'll take 1 uncle boasting about the Mercedes his footballer son has bought him, before all of us are trying to push our kids into football. It's certainly the way it goes with the Pakistani community. 1 guy sets up a claims office - everyone has a claims office. 1 guy starts selling those dodgy cash back phone contracts - everyone starts selling them. 1 guy starts signing up for a pyramid scheme - everyone starts signing up for a pyramid scheme.

1 kid makes it pro and before long you'll have aunties launching chappals across training grounds up and down the country because little bubloo mis timed a challenge and the oppo went round him and got a shot on goal.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
There are a number of factors

1) Parental commitment. Clubs at professional level require buy in from parents.

I think this issue is changing, but I know many people who have had trials or been involved in games with scouts, but if their parents are not talking football with the right people at the right age, you can't make any progress, especially in England. That buy in and communication is a massive factor.

2) football culture. Speaking from experience, I liked to pass the ball around from deep and I didn't understand why my coaches would always shout "get stuck in", "don't be a pussy". I wasn't great at defending, at all, but my team mates always gave the ball to me so it was difficult to understand the constant criticism. The strongest players are often considered to be the best (but thankfully that culture is changing)

When we went over to Holland and trained with a 2nd tier team (Venlo is that right?) in 2008, they picked 5 of us to play in a friendly with their youth squad. I was picked but my coach replaced me on their behalf.

3) Social aspect. I played 11 a side until the age of 21. I don't drink, I don't 'party, I just enjoyed football. The only form of team bonding or celebration event was going for a drink or going on a night out. When the coaches went, I'd literally never make the bench the next game. I understand that these are embedded into British culture and perhaps I should've exited my comfort zone more.

Some may read the above and call bullshit or think it's nonsense, but that's my first hand experience. I don't think I ever had the talent to be a professional, but never felt I had anyone in my corner to motivate me to work for it - both parents and coaches.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Parents, in my opinion, are the biggest factor. Football was a no-no for me, as a turban wearer, I was never going to head the ball no matter how much I was told to do so.

Ultimately, I pushed for the next best sport - cricket. However, that's when you're trying to juggle education and sports. The emphasis was always on education. A duck in a school league game wasn't as near as bad as a B in GCSEs. By 17, I gave up all aspirations in cricket to push my career in science, bitch.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Parents, in my opinion, are the biggest factor. Football was a no-no for me, as a turban wearer, I was never going to head the ball no matter how much I was told to do so.

Ultimately, I pushed for the next best sport - cricket. However, that's when you're trying to juggle education and sports. The emphasis was always on education. A duck in a school league game wasn't as near as bad as a B in GCSEs. By 17, I gave up all aspirations in cricket to push my career in science, bitch.
I remember the weirdest deflection off my top knot once.

I was trying to head the ball out from a corner and managed to get the ball with half forehead, half top knot, so the ball curved over my shoulder into the top corner. Wore my hair in a ponytail after that.

rotherham_red

I reckon it'll take 1 uncle boasting about the Mercedes his footballer son has bought him, before all of us are trying to push our kids into football. It's certainly the way it goes with the Pakistani community. 1 guy sets up a claims office - everyone has a claims office. 1 guy starts selling those dodgy cash back phone contracts - everyone starts selling them. 1 guy starts signing up for a pyramid scheme - everyone starts signing up for a pyramid scheme.

1 kid makes it pro and before long you'll have aunties launching chappals across training grounds up and down the country because little bubloo mis timed a challenge and the oppo went round him and got a shot on goal.
Let's not forget opening up an American Diner, or a dessert place! :lol: