g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why did we buy Fred?

AgentSquirrel

Seems like he's not frozen out at least!

I don't think Ole will ever freeze anyone out. He's not the sort. He meant it when he said he'd give everyone a chance, and tbh, for the first time I'm genuinely interested in seeing what all the players are capable of, including Fred. Because I don't think any of them can be judged on their Mourinho performances given the difference we're seeing in the team now.

Red Devil Rising

Seems like he's not frozen out at least!

This man is the most polar opposite of Mourinho you could ever find. No wonder the players have a smile on their face. His personality is so infectious and it's wonderful to see after what we've been used to the last 2 and half seasons.

Reactions: SteveJ

JMack1234

Disclaimer: I completely stealing this point off someone else but I can't remember who

You can see Fred being a key player in a top quality Sevilla side. Or being a fantastic in a Porto team that wins the Europa league. I'm just not at all convinced he's cut out to be a top player here.

tieunhilang

I don't think Ole will ever freeze anyone out. He's not the sort. He meant it when he said he'd give everyone a chance, and tbh, for the first time I'm genuinely interested in seeing what all the players are capable of, including Fred. Because I don't think any of them can be judged on their Mourinho performances given the difference we're seeing in the team now.
Why wasn't Fellaini given a fair chance, if that's the case? And there have been already talks of us selling him in the press. :nervous:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's not a Pogba backup. He's a Herrera backup. He's the runner in a midfield three. Hopefully, Ole can get something out of him.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm not so quick to write players off. Hopefully, once he's managed to feature a bit more and find his place, he'll be good enough. His chance to impress will likely come in home games against lesser sides for the foreseeable future, so let's give him the rest of this season to do something. It will be hard to get into the midfield with Pogba, Matic, and Herrera doing well, but I see Herrera as more important in the more difficult fixtures and away from home.

However, more to the point. My opinion on our two latest major purchases are that the board knew City were interested and wanted to get something over on them. Really sad, pathetic, and of course maybe not true, but I can't help but think this is our boards way of dealing.

playtowin

Right now i think Fred is having to bide his time under Ole as Matic and Herrera have been doing so well. From what ive seen of Fred, and from what ive read from journalists more familiar with him, i see him as the box to box midfielder in a 3. I think thats where we would see the best from him, supporting the holding midfielder where needed, amd breaking to support Pogba when the chances are there.

Certainly wouldn't write him off yet, look at the difference in Lindelof 18 months in.

scoi

I see him being the player to rotate with Herrera or Matic, he's got a lot of tenacity and energy and seems confident when being pressed.

The amount of minutes in multiple competitions means a replacement in centre midfield is needed and hopefully some confidence will come over the next few games and he can move from being a risk to truly competing for a starting role

Devil may care

He's definitely supposed to be Anders competition, he's not a holding midfielder as he's not good positionally, and I don't think he has the guile to be the creative midfielder.

AgentSquirrel

Why wasn't Fellaini given a fair chance, if that's the case? And there have been already talks of us selling him in the press. :nervous:
Because he hasn't been doing enough in training to warrant a place on the bench/pitch when theres other players performing better? That's not freezing someone out. That's not meeting the standards being set, when you've been given the chance to. And he's in the press as transfer listed every window.

Jibbs

All we need is a fernandinho type player, it could be Militao, or somebody like Allan, to unlock full potential of Pogba, Fred in a midfield three.

Dante

Average bang
It's a Terminator-type scenario.

He's fathered the footballing equivalent of John Connor to help us get round the homegrown quota in 2041.

JMack1234

I thought we'd see Fred today for some reason. I think it's too early to write him off but this is a huge 2nd half of the season for him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Decent chance he'll play in the next game I would think. Ole already had Lukaku, Sanchez, Bailly and Romero play against Arsenal; he wouldn't want to make too many changes all at once and Burnley at home 'should' be a better match to change our midfield than Arsenal away.
Hopefully. The few opportunities he's been given, Fred has been disappointing. Time to step up for real now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Season is a write off. Looks completely unprepared. Hope he's ready for next season.

Jeffthered

The fact that we haven't seen him under the new management seems to suggest the guy, at the moment, is not cutting it. Not sure where he will get games, because all our matches are crucial. Burnley is a massive game.

Fred seems yards off the pace of the game here.... way off. Not sure what these players are up to sometimes.

Reminds me of a quote from Berlusconi when he took over AC Milan years ago... "these players earn so much money, they think they are God's..."

Fred needs to sort himself out, quickly. Because we need midfield rotation... can see that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Reminds me of a quote from Berlusconi when he took over AC Milan years ago... "these players earn so much money, they think they are God's..."
I don't think the quote is relevant here. I don't think he's not getting games due to any attitude, work ethic problem. He's simply struggling to adapt to a new league and team.
At the moment, it's a quality problem not a psychological one.
Hopefully, with time he adjusts.

kundalini

So far, under Solskjaer, Fred got 11 mins as a sub against Cardiff, started against Huddersfield then got taken off after 53 mins when Huddersfield were dominating the early stages of the 2nd half, started against Reading in the FA Cup, again taken off, this time after 62 mins.

He's been very lucky to get 11 starts this season given his form. In 7 of those matches he has been taken off before 70 mins. He managed 76 mins once, and three times lasted the full 90 mins. Pereira and McTominay both have made 4 starts.

Assuming all of Fred, Pereira, Fellaini and McTominay remain at the club for the full season, I think we will see them share out what little playing time is available when Matic or Herrera are missing.

Moonwalker

The fact that we haven't seen him under the new management seems to suggest the guy, at the moment, is not cutting it. Not sure where he will get games, because all our matches are crucial. Burnley is a massive game.

Fred seems yards off the pace of the game here.... way off. Not sure what these players are up to sometimes.

Fred needs to sort himself out, quickly. Because we need midfield rotation... can see that.
Is that what he said? What an unlettered man.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The first team is on fire and we desperately need wins and points. Unless the first tean players need a rest then they should keep playing

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I wrongly wrote Lindeloff off so I’m going to give this guy a chance to turn things around.

He doesn’t look anywhere close to a £50 million player though.

Fosu-Mens

I wrongly wrote Lindeloff off so I’m going to give this guy a chance to turn things around.

He doesn’t look anywhere close to a £50 million player though.
Lindelof was never a defender that would perform well under JM. He is not suited to defend sitting back and against crosses, and considering one of his strengths is his ability on the ball it was never a good match.

I wrote off Fred before we signed him. Still don't understand why we bought him, beside City wanting him which i did not understand either.

Devil81

As others have rightly pointed out Lindelof has completely grown into a first choice pick this season, we have to give Fred as much time as possible.

Tony247

The first team is on fire and we desperately need wins and points. Unless the first tean players need a rest then they should keep playing
That is another worrying thing. Most likely towards the end of the season top 4 fight would be do or die just like now. Then if matic or herrera were unavailable (touchwood) due to injury, suspension etc then relying on Fred to fill their shoes will be a huge risk. In my opinion he needs to get some time now when he can be replaced by matic or herrera when things are not going his way.

Tony247

One thing Ole has ensured that there are no untouchables in the team, everyone gets a chance, no favouritism. So I am sure Fred will be treated fairly, yet Ole not trusting him makes me worried about strength of our midfield bench.

We are sufficiently covered in the attack though.

RepardReece

Well said. I always go to watch games with my dad and under Mou he's been slating Lukaku, Pogba etc but I just replied with everyone's crap under Mou, watch us get another Manager and they all turn world class.

Kag

He will start against Burnley, you’d imagine.

If we can’t trust him in this sort of home game then I can’t see where he gets a start at all, to be honest.

izec

He will start against Burnley, you’d imagine.

If we can’t trust him in this sort of home game then I can’t see where he gets a start at all, to be honest.
In the league, he wont get a better chance for a start this season. Otherwise FA Cup against lower league team maybe? I think it is important that he plays games here and there, otherwise he wont get used to it for the future. Lindelöf got some games and learned from it, Fred wont adapt much by sitting on the bench only

Litch

Season started 8 games ago for me. OGS went with what he thought was his best 11 and pretty much to a man, have taken their chance. Now it's for Fred, Rom, Sanchez et al to give him an headache when the opportunity presents itself.