Why do Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arse get no pressure from the media?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I expect last year's runners up to be judged at least equally to last year's 6th place, yes.

And I think Klopp should be judged easily to the same standards as José yeah! He's been there longer, spent loads, won utterly nothing and gets a fraction of the pressure.
Well then, thats your prerogative.

With all due respect, I have a wildly different opinion.

I don't hold a club who made a profit of 2.5 million in the transfer window last season to the same expectations as one who spent 130 million and who has double the wage bill. Clearly, the boards don't either, hence why Mourinho reputedly earns almost three times what Poch reputedly earns. Last year's second place was an overachievement relative to our resources. 6th was a massive underachievement relative to Man Utd's resources. Those relative achievements are not going to remain static with one club breaking even on transfers season after season and the other invesying heavily.

Hasn't Klopp been there for a grand total of 7 months longer? And again, spent loads is a relative term. He spent about a third net of what Jose did last summer. Not that I would be bothered to defend Klopp. It just strikes me as strange that people would think the only reason that Man Utd and Jose come under heavier scrutiny is because of jealousy or clicks or whatever.

Football doesn't exist in a vacuum where money doesn't matter. It matters a lot. And its not surprising that those clubs that spend the most money inevitably end up near the top, winning the trophies. You'll get a few exceptions here and there but for the most part, that is just how it is.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Arsenal get fecking drilled in and media, rightly so as well

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Honestly it all comes down to Mourinho. The guy sells papers and gets clicks.

Conte is luckily boring and tends to be as professional.
No its not Mourinho. Its Manchester United. We're expected to win things. Don't we expect to win things?
F.A. Cup. League cup. Europa league. That's not us. We expect to be battling it out for the league and for battles with the big two in Spain, the big one in Germany and the big one in Italy. Add PSG in the mix and we shouldn't be afraid of any of them.

Theonas

Scout
We rarely get praised let alone extra praise.
Oh yes we do. Why do you think fans of other clubs spent 20 years telling the world Fergie has the media, the refs, the FA and goodness knows what? We get both, the ABU only sees the praise, the fans only see the criticism.

Boycott

Arsenal get no negative press :lol:

They're the club EVERYBODY loves to jump on and repeat the same shit at the first sign of trouble.

As for Spurs, I don't know about others but from what I see the media love to sell off their players.

The media is just noise at the end of the day. And it's just football. What matters is the game, everything else is a distraction.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We've had three-million years of ex-Liverpool troglodytes in the media; no wonder we're considered to be Hitler's grandkids.

AlwaysRed66

I do not know about the clubs but the reason Pochettino, Guardiola, Wenger, & Klopp are given much more slack than Mourinho is the football they play. Football fans normally want two things. To win things & do well, & play good football. Managers can get away with not doing the latter for awhile, but once results start going against them, the negative tactic brigade have nothing to fall back on. It also doesn't help how obnoxious Mourinho is.

AshRK

Oh yes we do. Why do you think fans of other clubs spent 20 years telling the world Fergie has the media, the refs, the FA and goodness knows what? We get both, the ABU only sees the praise, the fans only see the criticism.
Maybe because fans are jealous so they resort to such excuses. BBC for ages have been against Sir alex and MU. I remember some paper calling both our CL victories under SIr alex as non deserving and lucky. Heck many non british experts thing Sir Alex was a tad overrated as a manager. I am not saying we always get criticized but even under our hey days we have faced some unfair criticisms.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Arsenal get no negative press :lol:

They're the club EVERYBODY loves to jump on and repeat the same shit at the first sign of trouble.

As for Spurs, I don't know about others but from what I see the media love to sell off their players.

The media is just noise at the end of the day. And it's just football. What matters is the game, everything else is a distraction.
Exactly. Did you guys see the post match analysis for the Spurs-Southampton match?

Good win, Kane breaks some records, another hat-trick.

What's a good chunk of the analysis about? Whether we can hold onto Kane, whether Kane should move, whether he is above little old Spurs.

This isn't an isolated incident. This seems to be most of the analysis directed towards Spurs, selling off this player or that.

I've always loved how similar most football fans are, despite all the fighting. We all think the media is against our club, the refs are ahgainst our club, the country and world is against our club. :D

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
You're like Bayern München, the most famous club in the country. Imagine Leipzig will win the titles in around 5 years and Bayern will only finish second, it will be the same.

United should attract the best players in the word and not a club like City.

Arsenal gets a much negative media, besides we won two trophies in the last year and FA Cups in the last years. Yeah, it's not a league title but what Liverpool have won? They are everyones darling.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe because fans are jealous so they resort to such excuses. BBC for ages have been against Sir alex and MU. I remember some paper calling both our CL victories under SIr alex as non deserving and lucky. Heck many non british experts thing Sir Alex was a tad overrated as a manager. I am not saying we always get criticized but even under our hey days we have faced some unfair criticisms.
So why did the non British experts think SAF was over-rated? Because they're actually fans of british clubs? I'm unsure of the link you're making there.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Arsenal get fecking drilled in and media, rightly so as well
I was thinking that reading the OT. Wenger gets plenty of stick in the press for never winning the league anymore which is deserved but also a lot more which isn't.

As for the others well half the press support Spurs so they'll always get an easy ride. In fairness they are consistently finishing top 4 now which they haven't been when they've hyped up before (Jol/Redknapp eras).

Chelsea clearly a level below what they were last season but they're still up and Conte has been pointing out their squad can't compete in numerous competitions with their lack of transfers.

I do think there should be more scrutiny on Klopp. He does get an easy ride from the press on the whole compared to other managers.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Cause you are the most successful club in PL history by a very long way, you generate way more money than any other club in the PL and well honestly as fans you will all admit you should be challenging/winning the PL every season.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
1) We are bigger then all of them
2) We Netspend way higher then them
3) We generate more interest for the Public
Don't understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. You're the biggest club in England and we ( Liverpool) the second biggest haven't won a title for almost 3 decades. 1 trophy in 10 years or something. You generate the most media clicks which is gold dust to them.
Chelsea have 2 titles in four years and much like city up until this year, nobody is particularly arsed when they win unless they start building dynasty type sides that can actually provide a threat to the longevity and historical significance of the aforementioned sides. There's also the fact city/United dwarf every side in the league in terms of finances and to an extent Chelsea too.

People just refuse to acknowledge net spend and wages and a whole host of things that we as fans aren't privy to, which again in my opinion makes the whole debate nonsensical and moot. But the media full of ex pros from a time where transfer fees and wages were much lower, latch on to these things and get the average pub goer type match fan up in arms and phoning in spouting all sorts of cliches. It's just how this countries media operate. You need to stop taking it as a personal attack and see it for what it is.

It's like the referees argument, sometimes it feels like a concerted effort to screw your team but look beneath the surface and the you'll see it for what it is.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is it safe to say that United, Liverpool and Arsenal (in that order) get by far the biggest emotional reactions from the media? Whether it is something good or bad that happens to them. I get the feeling that nobody really gives a toss about Chelsea or City whether they do well or not.

Theonas

Scout
Of course because they are jealous which is why I wrote that they only see the praise. The point is it is there, they are just being selective with what they choose to see, the same as some of our fans, or any fans for that matter. About downplaying our CL victories, again of course you get everything, Real Madrid just won two back to back Cups, an unprecedented achievement and they had negative articles about their achievements comparing them negatively to teams from the past. The pattern is the same, big clubs generate opinions, articles, clicks, and so on which will naturally be very positive or very negative. Only recently we had Martin Samuel and Mark Ogden, two of the most prominent writers in the country predicting that Mourinho will prove the smarter man due to his adaptability and understanding of the league versus Guardiola's misguided idealism. The latter just wrote an article defending Mourinho's claim that we need to spend more. Ian Ladyman wrote another article defending our approach against City, Barney of the Guardian a couple of months ago wrote about "the beauty of sticking to principles" about our manager. Of course for all of these examples, you will find others criticising us. It is the same for Real, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus. The bigger the club, the most sensational the reporting will be.

Fridge chutney

Because they are smaller, less popular clubs and they generate less revenue for media outlets. It's as simple as that.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Liverpool and Chelsea spend a fecking shitload, so no, I'm not buying that for a second.

And we won 2 trophies last season as well, but that seems to buy us no leeway in the slightest.
Chelsea won the title last season and Liverpool's net spend has not been as much as United's in the last few years.

So when you've spent such vast sums of money - and have a manager who complains that it's not enough - it's bound to attract negative media pressure when United are not competing for the title and haven't done so since Fergie retired.

As for Spurs, why would we attract media pressure when we've spent so little on players and have diverted most of our spare cash into our soon-to-be-opened new stadium?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I expect last year's runners up to be judged at least equally to last year's 6th place, yes.

And I think Klopp should be judged easily to the same standards as José yeah! He's been there longer, spent loads, won utterly nothing and gets a fraction of the pressure.
That's ridiculous when you compare United's net spend to that of Spurs over the last few years (and that doesn't include the wages disparity). I don't know the exact ratio, but City have net outspent Spurs by a ratio of 19 to 1 over the last 5 years .. and United can't be far behind that.

Theonas

Scout
I am not sure why the OP takes this as a negative to be honest. If anything, we should be pleased that we are still big news after the 4 years we've had. The day we stop being expected to compete is the day we officially become Liverpool. Now that would hurt.

AshRK

Of course because they are jealous which is why I wrote that they only see the praise. The point is it is there, they are just being selective with what they choose to see, the same as some of our fans, or any fans for that matter. About downplaying our CL victories, again of course you get everything, Real Madrid just won two back to back Cups, an unprecedented achievement and they had negative articles about their achievements comparing them negatively to teams from the past. The pattern is the same, big clubs generate opinions, articles, clicks, and so on which will naturally be very positive or very negative. Only recently we had Martin Samuel and Mark Ogden, two of the most prominent writers in the country predicting that Mourinho will prove the smarter man due to his adaptability and understanding of the league versus Guardiola's misguided idealism. The latter just wrote an article defending Mourinho's claim that we need to spend more. Ian Ladyman wrote another article defending our approach against City, Barney of the Guardian a couple of months ago wrote about "the beauty of sticking to principles" about our manager. Of course for all of these examples, you will find others criticising us. It is the same for Real, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus. The bigger the club, the most sensational the reporting will be.
My point is to counter your original point where you said we also have extra praised. Not in my lifetime ever we were ever praised like Klopp's side or Pep's city side. Media supported wenger mostly in wenger v. sir alex battle. In later years when we hardly spend big like Chelsea/city yet media never gave sir alex the deserving credit. Again I understand that we will always get more criticism as we are bigger but still sometimes it is bothersome.

Fridge chutney

Is it safe to say that United, Liverpool and Arsenal (in that order) get by far the biggest emotional reactions from the media? Whether it is something good or bad that happens to them. I get the feeling that nobody really gives a toss about Chelsea or City whether they do well or not.
That's a fair assumption. Chelsea are also quite popular though.

Fridge chutney

As for Spurs, why would we attract media pressure when we've spent so little on players and have diverted most of our spare cash into our soon-to-be-opened new stadium?
Spurs are also a smaller and less popular club, so naturally less media pressure is placed on them.

Theonas

Scout
My point is to counter your original point where you said we also have extra praised. Not in my lifetime ever we were ever praised like Klopp's side or Pep's city side. Media supported wenger mostly in wenger v. sir alex battle. In later years when we hardly spend big like Chelsea/city yet media never gave sir alex the deserving credit. Again I understand that we will always get more criticism as we are bigger but still sometimes it is bothersome.
I don't think there has existed a manager in English football who was mocked as much as Wenger did. They used the Professeur tag against him mercilessly. He was the archetype foreign snobby wannabe philosopher trying to come here and teach us how to play. You remember how Guardiola's "I am not coach for the tackles" was covered last year? Pundits rejoiced about how this other chap is not going to pull off his fancy foreign ways in our tough league. To most people in the media in this country, our 1999 and 2008 are the best teams in the PL era. Even our fans will tell you we hardly played brilliant football in Fergie's latter years, yet all you hear from pundits is how the new managers are abandoning the United way that saw Fergie play the best football. I am sorry but this simply sounds like Liverpool fans and their eternal victim perception about everything and everyone.

Hawks2008

Spurs and Liverpool are media darlings, it's so obvious the they want those clubs to succeed so they don't come under pressure. Conte won the league so I guess he's earned a bit of slack even though they've put up a shit title defence. Arsenal definitely get stick from the media though.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
You haven't won the league since Ferguson retired and you spent about two thirds of a billion since. Of course there's gonna be a lot press. Besides, Mourinho tends to have bad relationship with the media, so there's that too. It also doesn't help that your neighbours are winning the league, and their manager is supposedly Mourinho's nemesis (in terms of style etc).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs and Liverpool are media darlings, it's so obvious the they want those clubs to succeed so they don't come under pressure. Conte won the league so I guess he's earned a bit of slack even though they've put up a shit title defence. Arsenal definitely get stick from the media though.
Aye we're media darlings each and every week both Sky and the red tops are selling our squad left right and centre. Kloop has been shamed many times for his teams perfomeances. I think you are looking at this one sided.

Spurs are also a smaller and less popular club, so naturally less media pressure is placed on them.
I think that's the whole point most people are arguing, you can't be one of the biggest clubs in the world and not get critisim for not competing for the league title in your own country for the last number of years.

Fridge chutney

I think that's the whole point most people are arguing, you can't be one of the biggest clubs in the world and not get critisim for not competing for the league title in your own country for the last number of years.
I agree. Spurs are able to quietly go about their business and develop talent, buy quality, without as much scrutiny. The difficulty is, the more successful and popular they become, the more scrutiny they will face.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody cares about those clubs.

You could probably make a case for Liverpool, but nobody seriously expects them to win a major domestic trophy again.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Spurs get some leeway due to the fact their budget tends to be a lot smaller than the other top five clubs they're competing with. Obviously in the context of what they achieved last season they'll perhaps be slightly disappointed, but they're still not having a bad season - they're in contention for a top four place and at a push could still challenge for 2nd or 3rd if they hit a patch of very good form. Obviously their long-term goal's to win the title but they're not doing too poorly.

Arsenal have pretty much been having the exact same season this year as they have been for the past decade. And they still get plenty of criticism, re their handling of key players such as Sanchez and Ozil and what they'll do if both depart etc. Similarly while Liverpool's attack is regularly praised their defence is often torn to shreds for how poor it is.

Pundits have perhaps been overly critical of United but I don't particularly care. If we want to be a side (again) challenging for titles and major honours each year then we should expect pundits to treat us as such. We've obviously made marked improvements but if the goal is to return to the top then we should be judging ourselves by that standard, albeit while recognising that we've still made major improvements and that the current league leaders are having a freakishly good season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I am not sure why the OP takes this as a negative to be honest. If anything, we should be pleased that we are still big news after the 4 years we've had. The day we stop being expected to compete is the day we officially become Liverpool. Now that would hurt.
Yeah...pretty much. Who doesn't want to see United judged on the standard of a potential title winning side? Obviously we've improved but we shouldn't rest on our laurels.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea get no pressure from the media? I take it you are joking? Everytime we drop points rumours of Conte's sacking arises alongside the Matic cliches. Also have you forgotten the pressure they tried to put on Morata after his pen miss vs Arsenal then miss vs Spurs?

I haven't took much notice in United's media attention this season but what i do know is you got off very lightly after the game at Stamford Bridge.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Because some of our fans loves to dish out at the club. It sells.

Look at the Manchester united forum, the most replied threads are mostly the negative one with posters from both sides stating their opinion

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The vibe from the media at the moment is that we need to be more like Liverpool and Spurs. We've won more in 2017 than Liverpool and Tottenham have combined since 2006. Staggering statistic. That's more in one year than a combined 22 years for those two shite clubs.

Chelsea won't be criticized as Conte smashed the league last year and it's hardly like their idiocy in selling Matic has been ignored. The media mention it all the time.

Liverpool's 6 year trophy drought never ever gets a mention from the media. We get absolutely castigated if we go even one season winning nothing. I guess they just fundamentally aren't considered a huge club anymore. We will never be ignored when we are such a monster club, and at the moment we are under-performing so the media lap it up.

There's no truer saying at United than 'Hated, adored, never ignored'

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I agree. Spurs are able to quietly go about their business and develop talent, buy quality, without as much scrutiny. The difficulty is, the more successful and popular they become, the more scrutiny they will face.
As it should be, but to say we don't get much scrutiny isn't correct, we get our share.

vamos_nadal

Supports
Liverpool
As hard as it is for me to admit as a Liverpool supporter, United are the team everyone in the world knows about. I have family in India. Every man and his dog knows about United. Ronaldo, Rooney and Beckham jerseys are still all over the place.

Which universities do you hear about the most? Oxford, Harvard etc.

Which country's president do you read about the most? The USA.

See the pattern :smirk:.

Its not made any easier, for better or for worse that Mourinho always has been the most news-worthy manager. He's the first superstar manager IMO.

shaky

The vibe from the media at the moment is that we need to be more like Liverpool and Spurs. We've won more in 2017 than Liverpool and Tottenham have combined since 2006. Staggering statistic. That's more in one year than a combined 22 years for those two shite clubs.

Chelsea won't be criticized as Conte smashed the league last year and it's hardly like their idiocy in selling Matic has been ignored. The media mention it all the time.

Liverpool's 6 year trophy drought never ever gets a mention from the media. We get absolutely castigated if we go even one season winning nothing. I guess they just fundamentally aren't considered a huge club anymore. We will never be ignored when we are such a monster club, and at the moment we are under-performing so the media lap it up.

There's no truer saying at United than 'Hated, adored, never ignored'
Pretty much all this. If we finish this season with the FA Cup to show for it, the narrative will be that it's still been a failure of a season for us. If Liverpool finish the season with the FA Cup, Klopp will be lauded as if he's the second coming of Christ.