Why do you support Manchester United?

Kaos

I was an Arsenal fan for a week but my mother bought me the wrong jersey so I stuck with it.

markhrad

George Best and loyalty. If Best had played for Leeds, God forbid, I probably would be supporting them even now.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
At this point its just loyalty to the caf. Hasn't been the same for a while (even during Fergie years)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I saw that they have the biggest revenue in english football

khoazany

I watched the CL 99' final when I was 6 years old (think I watched most of the CL games that season though but can't remember for sure).Knew about most of the players before that due to my dad.

ManUArfa

Since the 1976 FA Cup Final when we lost to Southampton. My dad said "support the local North West team". Being from Preston some would argue I'm not a valid supporter and that PNE should be my team but, since that day aged almost 7, I fell in love with United and that has never wavered.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Sometime around 1990 suddenly the BBC was on cable tv, and they had this programme that started with a ridiculously outdated piece of music and then an old man with an enormous chin announced a few football matches were to be shown. The atmosphere in the stadiums was nice and the commentator was a very excitable fellow too, and it certainly resembled football as I knew it. But there was only one team that seemed to bother about playing the ball to a bloke in a shirt of the same colour. So I liked them more than the others, the colour was red.

drdoityourself

I'm a classic story of boy meets father, father is a United fan, so there wasn't really an educated decision.
It also coincided with the first SAF-era of success, I was six in '93 when I started watching every live game.

Last edited:

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
My dad was a United fan, I remember watching with him the game against Oldham where Sparky scored *that* volley and forced a replay.
I remember really vividly him saying how important he thought that goal was and how he just felt we'd do the double after that. Obviously, we did.

Never looked back.

BlakeUtd

I don't remember the first united game I watched, it was very early on in my life. I do remember that I started around 2002 and I deeply admired Juventus, and UTD around the same time. My support of Juve plateaued and my love for utd soared because of their exciting style of play, the way the won games late and the general mythos that seemed to surround the club, Fergie, the players and Old Trafford. My first super emotional memory of Supporting utd was crying when we were Knocked out by Mou's Porto in the champions league

acrebo

Yep, family for me.

Dad supported them in '58 when he was 5, so I was born into it. First time I can remember 'properly' supporting them was when I was about 7 (around 1989/1990), when I was actually living in America for a few years. I think we were playing Villa and my Dad and I went to an English pub to watch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't think this thread is meant to be asking how you all came to support United.

I took it to be more what you've come to love about the club.

Trizy

Family club on both my mother and fathers side so I had a jersey on before I even knew what football was. No regrets though, I love football and United. Maybe a little too much though, I'm serious considering moving to Manchester for work (main reason being season tickets!)

darko

About 1972, my parents got a book, the Rothman's Football Annual, from Graham Leggat (former Scottish International). I think he must have been working for the local NASL club the Toronto Metros. My dad used carve and or paint crests from (mostly) the top English clubs and clubs from his youth (Hadjuk Split and Dinamo Zagreb in former Yugoslavia, plus Santos).

I guess the MUFC appealed to me the most. I suppose it helped that they had a high profile of former great players.

In 1974, our family went back to Europe and that included my mum's hometown of St. Albans. We were in a sporting good store and I was asked what shirt I wanted. I seemed to choose a a red MUFC jersey with a crest about 8" across in the middle. I still have that crest.

We didn't see much overseas soccer on TV (or local for that matter) in the 1970s. We would get the FA Cup Finals live. Seeing United in '76, '77 and '79 help solidify my support even though they lost 2 of the 3. By the '80s, we were getting a lot more English league games and magazines.

For a while my son was a supporter. He, like my nephew are now Spur supporters: all thanks to Harry Kane and Gareth Bale.
I think my niece is still (a quiet) support: thanks to David Beckham. For me Bryan Robson will always be 'my player'.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Why do I support United? I was never given a choice.

walkinhop

I was 11, my parents were going out to a corporate dinner party, so they left me alone in front of the TV. I was switching the channels and came across this football match. It was in 1999, the teams - Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich. I was mesmerized by the sheer will and dedication. The fight which never stops, the fighter who never gives up. Save to say, things are different now but it is like coded in me now. It is strange thing, this being a fan. It is like i have a mental block and no matter what happens i will always be a Man Utd. supporter, it is not a choice.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
In 2000 I got satellite TV and was, for the first time, able to watch European football on a consistent basis. I watched many different teams from many countries, but United's midfield was so good and so fun to watch I decided to watch them more than any other team. I soon was trying to watch every match. I just loved the attractive passing and winning attitude. Beckham became my favorite player with his one-touch passing and vision.

Vanrouge

Born in Manchester. Dad's side were City fans but nonmatchgoers, Mam's side were United and matchgoers. Easy. We moved away when I was still a kid, but I stayed a United fan.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I always ask fans in the states why they support their club of choice. It's generally a combination of the FIFA games and the increased popularity of the premier league on tv here.

Spoke to a lad working in my local the other night who was wearing a United baseball cap (backwards), asked him why he was a United fan, he said he's played since he was a nipper and United were on telly more than any other team so he picked them.
Our friends have a restaurant and they have an arsenal fan working for them. Asked him why arsenal, he said he hates spurs and that why he supports the arse. Never been to a game or ever met a spurs fan though :houllier: