Why don't the big 6 gamble on players?

Maguire is the one that does annoy me as he was the one I saw for myself. It was extremely obvious that he was 'worth' a hell of a lot more than what Leicester paid Hull, and although it wasn't 100% certain he would succeed at the top level the odds were in his favour. The same summer we spent about double that on Lindelof who was a bigger risk.
I agree, Maguire caught my eye in Jose's first season, we played Hull 3 times in the space of a month or something like that. He was very solid in all 3 games and was very hard to beat in the air.

Lee565

Maguire is the one that does annoy me as he was the one I saw for myself. It was extremely obvious that he was 'worth' a hell of a lot more than what Leicester paid Hull, and although it wasn't 100% certain he would succeed at the top level the odds were in his favour. The same summer we spent about double that on Lindelof who was a bigger risk.
Feel like he would have been definite fergie signing had he still been managing United at that time.

Number4.

I think they are increasingly aware of the need for development before joining. Matic to Portugal and then back to Chelsea an obvious example

Green_Red

What I mean by this is why, when it looks so obvious at times, do they not go for certain players but instead move for them after they have become a star.

A few examples;

van Dijk - why was no one in for him when he left Celtic?

Maguire - another obvious one who left Hull for a pittance

Maddison - no one interested when he was at Norwich, now he's the next big thing

Are bigger clubs more risk averse these days and would sooner spend more money in the comfort of knowing a Leicester or Southampton has tried the player first in the PL?
You can only fit so many horses in the stable.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Speaking of gamble, we could give a punt on this 17 year old who gave Juanfran a very hard time in Brazilian League past week. Called Thalles Magno, he would be cheap now

streamable.com/ipa6t

edcunited1878

Speaking of gamble, we could give a punt on this 17 year old who gave Juanfran a very hard time in Brazilian League past week. Called Thalles Magno, he would be cheap now

streamable.com/ipa6t
Work visa, adaptation and his development would be better off via Portugal or Spain. England is a very intimidating place for South American teenagers...culture is extremely opposite of what they are used to. The process of development is essential, not just professionally but also personally. Signing him then loaning him off to another country or league or team isn't too viable either. This isn't FIFA or FM.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Work visa, adaptation and his development would be better off via Portugal or Spain. England is a very intimidating place for South American teenagers...culture is extremely opposite of what they are used to. The process of development is essential, not just professionally but also personally. Signing him then loaning him off to another country or league or team isn't too viable either. This isn't FIFA or FM.
It worked with Richarlison. Also, Rafael who we signed as a teenager worked better than South Americans we bought from Portugal or Europe in general.

edit: Also Martinelli at Arsenal. You get them at cheaper when they are teens, and can adapt them while they play reserves or youth.

edcunited1878

It worked with Richarlison. Also, Rafael who we signed as a teenager worked better than South Americans we bought from Portugal or Europe in general.

edit: Also Martinelli at Arsenal. You get them at cheaper when they are teens, and can adapt them while they play reserves or youth.
Cheaper yes, but they need to play consistently to develop. It's why Chelsea got so much flack the past 10 years of buying players and just loaning them out and they never saw the first team. It's changed a little bit, especially with the influx of technical and talented British youth/younger players and their transfer ban.

Richarlison is still developing, came from Watford and went to Everton with Silva. Everton aren't a top 6 team, especially from the past five seasons where they've finished between 11th and 8th.

Rafa and Fabio are a good shout, but even then, they officially signed with United early 2007 and couldn't make their first appearances for the club until a year and half later due to age limitations.

United have signed some teenagers from other European clubs in the past few years for multi-million pound deals and are developing them in the youth sides, which is best. But allowing players such as VVD, Maguire, etc. play week in week out in their early 20s at lower/mid-table clubs is totally fine. It's part of their progression and shelling out a lot of money is fine when they are established and you know what their consistent floor is (i.e. AWB).