Why don't we win penalties anymore?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Maybe it's just me but we don't seem to get any free kicks either these days, in almost every recent game I have felt that all 50-50 decisions have gone against us. At one point today we had 14 fouls to 3 from Swansea which was just truly bizarre.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Maybe it's just me but we don't seem to get any free kicks either these days, in almost every recent game I have felt that all 50-50 decisions have gone against us. At one point today we had 14 fouls to 3 from Swansea which was just truly bizarre.
Fellaini probably should have been off today with his accumulation of fouls, so I can't complain too much about decisions, but Swansea got away with an enormous amount of fouls, so it was no wonder their foul count was so low. Sigurdsson's stiff arm to Blind's face was a yellow at least. Di Maria was being shoved around plenty, and Fellaini seemed to be penalised for nearly any aerial challenge where he was behind the Swansea player.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

All time low from a professional football club.

We've only won two penalties this season (deserved many more) but you don't see LvG making an issue out of it. Why don't FA punish Mourinho/Chelsea for this stupidity?

Fully Fledged

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment.
We should have had at least 3 penalties already this season, possibly 4.
So I don't think its just that, we actually don't get the call when it comes to penalties of late, and its been happening since last seaoson.
The media. We win a penalty they try and find every angle why it wasn't a penalty a chance goes against us in the box they try and show every angle to prove it should be a penalty.

The simple fact is that even though we have the largest proportion on fans in the country of any team there are far more people out there that actually hate us. Papers sell more copies catering to them than they would catering to us.

Sir A1ex

All this garbage about us getting penalties under SAF, look at who got most penalties for last 10 years, we only had most in 1 year

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html
It's funny how over the last few years, there seems to be a closer correlation between how much money a club has and how many penalties they get than between how good they are generally and how many penalties they get.

I can't think of any reason a club with billions of pounds to throw around might get favourable decisions from referees.

Rezyuz

Simple we don't get in the box as often with dribbles. The more you cross, shoot from distance or shoot as soon as you get the box you take away your chances of a penalty.

For example a Barcelona or Real get a shitload of penalties because they keep going at their opponent with dribbles in the box.

Slartibartfast

It's funny how over the last few years, there seems to be a closer correlation between how much money a club has and how many penalties they get than between how good they are generally and how many penalties they get.

I can't think of any reason a club with billions of pounds to throw around might get favourable decisions from referees.

If you look at the stats roykeane19 quoted they point to a fairly even spread over the last 12 years between the 4 teams that have won the EPL in that time - the only outlier that bucks the trend is Liverpool, and they obviously get more penalties than anyone else because erm..... erm ......

roykeane19

So since 2002-2015 Liverpool have had the most penalties with 77 then Chelsea 73 us and Arsenal 70 City 67.
Funnily enough I missed the cumulative charts of club by club basis of how many penalties were awarded. Just seeing our average placement per year of getting penalties, it would seem we would come around 5-6th place, in terms of most penalties awarded per season

Also taking into account we almost always had the best strikers in the league, and wingers till 2009 anyway

Samid

Time to revisit this.

PADDY CRERAND QUESTIONS LACK OF PENALTIES
Manchester United legend Paddy Crerand is mystified by the low number of penalties that have been awarded to the Reds in 2016/17, although he has some sympathy for referees.

United are one of three teams who have been given only a single spot-kick in 23 Premier League games so far. That tally remained the same following Wednesday's 0-0 draw against Hull City, when the Reds were denied a possible penalty when Zlatan Ibrahimovic went to ground following a collision with Tom Huddlestone.

Writing in his column for United Review before Wednesday's match, MUTV pundit Crerand stated his personal belief that Jose Mourinho's team can feel hard done by in relation to refereeing decisions inside the area this season.

"It almost feels like there is an agenda against United when it comes to penalties and the lack of them in our favour," Paddy wrote. "We're joint bottom of the table for penalties given, alongside Middlesbrough and West Brom – we’ve all had just one awarded to us in the Premier League this season. From our point of view, it’s crazy when you think how often we attack and get ourselves into the opposition box.

"I bet we get into the box more times than most teams in the league. I’m still baffled by the penalty that was given against us at Hull [in the EFL Cup semi-final second leg] and after the referee gave that I was even more baffled that he didn’t give the one for Chris Smalling.

"I don’t think the standard of refereeing is great but I understand how difficult their job is and they don’t seem to get much help from their assistants. Nevertheless, the fact we’ve only had one penalty in the league is unbelievable."

United's only spot-kick in the Premier League campaign to date was awarded in the home win over Southampton on 19 August, following a foul on Luke Shaw. Zlatan Ibrahimovic converted it to complete his goalscoring double on the night as the Reds triumphed 2-0.

Samid

Code:
+--------+-------+-------+
| Season | Pen F | Pen A |
| 07/08  |   8   |   1   |
| 08/09  |   4   |   3   |
| 09/10  |   8   |   2   |
| 10/11  |   5   |   6   |
| 11/12  |  11   |   3   |
| 12/13  |   7   |   0   |
| 13/14  |   5   |   4   |
| 14/15  |   5   |   4   |
| 15/16  |   3   |   2   |
| 16/17  |   1   |   3   |

Getting worse and worse for every year. I can totally understand the tally being low during LVG's borefest tenure but this season it's just ridiculous.

SqueakyWeasel

Time to revisit this.
You just read my post in the Greizman thread :lol:

Get as many proven goal-scorers as you like but unless we do something about the snail-pace of our build-up they'll be as redundant as the ones we already have!

We telegraph every move and our players are often static not making forward runs that scare the shit out of defenders (often because of the high line teams adopt against us) it's no surprise we've only had one penalty home and one away all season (of which, one converted). Even when players do make runs we rarely play the ball forward into that players feet, it's always lateral or even behind the player often breaking up momentum and rhythm. Our players are then forced to recycle the ball so often that it allows teams to quickly get two rows of 4 (sometimes 5) behind the ball crazily when we've been on a break ten seconds before. It often seems to me like we don't want to score unless it's really difficult – embarrassingly, it reminds me of what we used to laugh at Arsenal about!

As a caveat, I still believe we'll make top 4 and think Jose will sort all this out!

SteveTheRed

Id like to see a comparison with the percentage of time spent in the oppositions box over the years, compared to SAF last few years. That's the only way you can really tell and it will most likely show we are not in the box anywhere near enough.

Murray3007

To be fair with how horrible our finishing has been this season we would prob miss them as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
doing stuff like this doesn't help

That's an awful tweet. Suarez was ostracised for being a racist, cynically injuring opposition players and biting people. Tevez for being a mercenary twat who once flounced off on a golfing tour mid-season in a fit of pique. Nothing to do with diving.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Id like to see a comparison with the percentage of time spent in the oppositions box over the years, compared to SAF last few years. That's the only way you can really tell and it will most likely show we are not in the box anywhere near enough.
Was just thinking that. Although I suspect our touches in the opposition box this season is reasonably high.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We don't have dribblers who run at people in the box, we always play pass and move, or cross instead.

Majority of penalties are from taking a defender on and drawing a foul, we lack that badly.

Shiva87

We don't have dribblers who run at people in the box, we always play pass and move, or cross instead.

Majority of penalties are from taking a defender on and drawing a foul, we lack that badly.
Ahem Ahem, now who can do that better than .....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We had so many genuine penalty decision that went against us this season.

Bravo two footed challenge on Rooney
Darmian was fouled against Burnley
Valencia was fouled by Monreal
Rooney was kicked in the face against West Ham (I think it's league cup)
Some Crystal Palace defender cleared the ball with his hand.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
doing stuff like this doesn't help

I am not saying this is a penalty, but Hazard gets fouls for this in every single game. Including the foul that they scored from against Liverpool. He does it all the time and the refs are awarding him with the decision every time.

Samid

This is more like it. Solskjær's motto is that a Manchester United team should never be outrun. My motto is that a Manchester United team should never be out-penaltised (is that a word?).

SirAF

Ageist

This is more like it. Solskjær's motto is that a Manchester United team should never be outrun. My motto is that a Manchester United team should never be out-penaltised (is that a word?).
:drool:

Raw

That's gonna piss some rivals off.

Now that we've sorted this out, can we concentrate on scoring hattricks now? Been far too long!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Good.

No, but penalized is a word though.

Djemba-Djemba

4 penalties since Ole took over, a good sign we're in the opposition box more and so drawing more fouls from desperate defenders.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's gonna piss some rivals off.

Now that we've sorted this out, can we concentrate on scoring hattricks now? Been far too long!
Thinking back though I don't think any of them have been dodgy? Not that I can really remember, though, I think maybe one was for a questionable handball? not sure.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wasn't one of them converted as a rebound by him anyway? So it's just one miss really.
True.

I'd rather he scored it though. He's got the ability to put the ball wherever he wants, so I hope he can keep putting it out of the keepers reach like he's done with the past few.

Rooney was another who had the ability, but little consistency in the execution. He took some great penalties, but his overall conversion rate was poor. There's certain penalty takers you feel are never going to miss, and I don't think we've had one of those since Cantona.

redchamp

True.

I'd rather he scored it though. He's got the ability to put the ball wherever he wants, so I hope he can keep putting it out of the keepers reach like he's done with the past few.

Rooney was another who had the ability, but little consistency in the execution. He took some great penalties, but his overall conversion rate was poor. There's certain penalty takers you feel are never going to miss, and I don't think we've had one of those since Cantona.
van Nistelrooy made me feel at ease (well, apart from the redemption penalty he scored against Arsenal after that famous miss - was not sure he'd score that one)