Why don't we win penalties anymore?

Rednotdead

The number of penalties being awarded in the Premier League overall looks like being the lowest for a very long time this year. The figures year on year are as follows :

2009-10 - 106
2010-11 - 101
2011-12 - 99
2012-13 - 83
2013-14 - 87
2014-15 - 28 (after 15 of 38 games)

If the current ratio for this season is maintained therefore the final figure will be 71.

So clearly refs are simply awarding substantially less penalties overall.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
You have to get into the box to win penalities. Most of our play is in front of the opposition defense, outside the box. And majority of our passing is between our goal keeper, defense and holding midfielder.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
We will get a penalty for a Skrtel shirt pull on Sunday, mark my words.

LR7

I like the timing of this thread. :)

I think there are a good few penalties that we should have been awarded this season but haven't. LvG doesn't make a fuss about it though and as admirable as that may be, it probably doesn't do us any favours as if he was highlighting it.

Rednotdead

That's illegal.

But seriously it's not like we've not deserved any we're just not being awarded them, even when it's clear cut.
Go figure.
To be fair though, we're clearly not the only ones if you look at the figures I posted earlier. After 15 rounds of league games only 28 penalties have been awarded. That's one every 482 minutes of the season so far.

Kakeru

If the current ratio for this season is maintained therefore the final figure will be 71.

So clearly refs are simply awarding substantially less penalties overall.
What's going on? Have referees been accused of giving away penalties too cheaply in the past?

Seriously for us, the only way to get penalties is to force our way in the box with the ball at all costs. That's obvious; defenders will panic if our players stop hesitating when they can make a run inside the box.

gasmanc

Banned
To be fair though, we're clearly not the only ones if you look at the figures I posted earlier. After 15 rounds of league games only 28 penalties have been awarded. That's one every 482 minutes of the season so far.
We're still well down on the average though, with zero, we are doing ok with pens against mind you.

Sam

We've had some absolute stone wallers turned down this season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Our football has become static with some of the attackers we have upfront. Di Maria is usually deployed deep, so he can not be as influential in that aspect. Otherwise, our philosophy is more about keeping the ball than taking a direct penetrative approach.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
A few have been rejected for no apparent reason so far this season. But we tend to play this 'methodical' game or deliver in crosses. Even Di Maria who is an excellent dribbler doesn't really try to drive into the area, which is usually where most penalties come from.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Year in year out everyone crying about refs giving too many decisions to our team is bound to have an effect. :smirk:

Sylar

Because every time we get into the box we score lol.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Are we the only team in the Premiership without a penalty this season?
It was us, Sunderland and Villa prior to the last round but even Sunderland managed one on Saturday. Expect Villa to get one next round against ... us.

El Zoido

We've had a couple of stonewallers turned down this season.

legball

A few have been rejected for no apparent reason so far this season. But we tend to play this 'methodical' game or deliver in crosses. Even Di Maria who is an excellent dribbler doesn't really try to drive into the area, which is usually where most penalties come from.
Haha, that was funny. Most or all?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have very few people that dribble with the ball. Di Maria and Adnan are the only two that take men on.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Haha, that was funny. Most or all?
Well obviously all penalties come from the box...I always focusing more on the dribbling part because there are more ways to win a penalty, but generally speaking it's from a foul/tug/dive coming from a dribble.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We don't have to dribble in the box. There's times we should have had penalties for crosses that hit a hand or last year against Newcastle when someone literally saved the ball from going in the goal and it wasn't given.

We also have a comically low number of red cards going our way.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Two hilarious decisions of recent years include that Newcastle player saving a shot on the line and the Tottenham goalkeeper karate kicking Young last season and not getting a red.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pretty simple, we play a possession based football with little directness so little time in the opposition box