Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

red4ever 79

So realistically it is looking like Pogba, Lukaku, Herrera, Valencia are the players who will leave
Whilst Jones, Mata, Young, Perreria all got a new contract.

Litch

My response was re. the issue of why high contracted salaries preclude selling players. The location issues are outside of that. The players feelings are outside of that.

So IIF the high salary is THE issue THEN ... my statement.

Generally speaking if the salary is THE blocking point then the club can part pay the salary.

If the sticking point is no one in a nice league wants to buy them well that's something else.

There are a plethora of reasons which could be drawn into this but if the money is THE issue there is generally an option to contribute to paying some of that to get them off the books.
So it's a loan deal so it's not precluding selling players at all is IT? YOU are NOT going to sell players and also then pay part of their wages TOO are you?

dove

I will give props to Ole, he conned almost all of our fanbase :lol: I remember I said a few months ago in Ole's thread that he speaks well but so far he has done feck all to prove he is capable of doing it. Fast forward 2-3 months, nothing changes. I have already set my expectations so low that I am mentally ready for anything next season. I suggest you do the same.

AaronRedDevil

Our attack looks absolutely screwed next season. That's my biggest worry. We need bloody attackers more then defenders.

red4ever 79

I will give props to Ole, he conned almost all of our fanbase :lol: I remember I said a few months ago in Ole's thread that he speaks well but so far he has done feck all to prove he is capable of doing it. Fast forward 2-3 months, nothing changes. I have already set my expectations so low that I am mentally ready for anything next season. I suggest you do the same.
Bilbo will be gone by Christmas

passing-wind

Was expecting nothing but his sacking since he's been appointed here. Ole has had 6 months tenure managerially for this club which is half a season and in that time he's been nothing short of a failure.

There's nothing Solskjaer has given us last season for the team to transition into the next campaign. Even though there are issues with the hierarchy of the club all of the best players we have wanting to leave is also conclusive of Ole not being capable of persuasion. Multiple targets we have failed because we supposedly have no champions league but it's a detriment to me personally that Ole cannot convince a quality calibre of players to come. Better the club highlights a contingency more than anything for next year. If we finish outside the top 6 we will not keep Ole, doesn't matter how much time he promises us from the board he will be sacked.

settembrini

I agree but is this really Ole, I imagine he says the players he wants to keep and then it's over to Woodward and Judge. The high wages the players are on are clearly a stumbling block, United can agree a fee with a club but it's pointless if the the player can't. They aren't taking a huge paycut, Rojo and Darmian ect are happy to sit it out than take a huge cut. Comes back to poor planning and negotiating from the club with contracts. I'd give Darmian away at this stage to get his wages of the books. He's what 4th choice rb.
I think Ole was given assurances that aren't being delivered. We'll see in August but highly doubt we are shifting much now.
The high wage problem applies to a player like Sanchez, no club with any sense will pay him even close to what we currently are.

Darmian is a different issue, every window we get offers for him but we turn them all down. We are simply overvaluing him. Same thing is currently happening with Lukaku. He's just come off his worst goal scoring season in seven years and lost his place in the first team to Rashford but we rejected an offer worth over £60m for him.

oz insomniac

There is a common denominator in this outlook, the failure of the clubs hierarchy to actually complete the managers requests to sign targets early in the window to set the team up.

Can't apportion much blame to Ole, when Woody and Judge are so friggin slow and clueless, when a rebuild is needed , then work is essentially done quickly and early. Look at Real Madrid , a club in similar position and the completions they have done. Expectations of Woody when it seems only one transfer is negotiated at a time, and perhaps the budget is limited until some of the contracts dross is moved on is basically at his feet. Welcome to Woody World.

vanderpants

At this rate all the dinner ladies will be getting 10 years contract extensions, so much for the clear out and new faces .........roll on another disappointing season :cool:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was expecting nothing but his sacking since he's been appointed here. Ole has had 6 months tenure managerially for this club which is half a season and in that time he's been nothing short of a failure..
Trouble is, when Ole does get sacked, the new boss will face all of the same problems, because nothing will have been resolved.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think he is gathering players round him, who nobody else really wants and are eternally grateful to still be at United. It will cost him his job like they did numerous other managers. Then the next manager will be stuck with them as well. Guess we will have to wait until they have all retired. We just have to hope some of these kids can step up.

Crustanoid

It’s wilful negligence on Ed’s part.

If he is clever enough to make the Glazers money left right and centre he’s clever enough to do the things required to make us a better footballing side:
Listen to Ole about needing numerous players before July and act upon it.
Move forward on the DoF plans and restructuring of the technical team which was mentioned donkeys ago.
Trim the squad of deadwood.

It’s not that he’s incapable of it (as is the most common narrative).

It’s that he doesn’t want to and neither do the club. It says it all that he was on holiday a week or so ago.

That is what we are dealing with here.

Frank Grimes

This is beginning to look ominous. Who the hell was Solskjaer talking about when he said that some of these players won't be with him next season?

We have giving contracts to
Smalling, Jones, Rashford, Mata and now Pereira in the last 6 months. Why can't we release the deadwood? Solskjaer is turning out to be the biggest pushover the Glazers had to deal with and I suspect it's probably the reason they gave him the job in the first place. We are doing everything wrong and its depressing to see. Absolute shambles.

Dr. StrangeHate

There is a common denominator in this outlook, the failure of the clubs hierarchy to actually complete the managers requests to sign targets early in the window to set the team up.

Can't apportion much blame to Ole, when Woody and Judge are so friggin slow and clueless, when a rebuild is needed , then work is essentially done quickly and early. Look at Real Madrid , a club in similar position and the completions they have done. Expectations of Woody when it seems only one transfer is negotiated at a time, and perhaps the budget is limited until some of the contracts dross is moved on is basically at his feet. Welcome to Woody World.
Madrid have a 4 time CL winning manager in addition to having a team full of world class players. We have a manager who no one in the whole PL would have hired after the way we ended the season. Ed is an idiot but he can't convince Sancho and De ligt (heck any one decent) to come to us when we don't have CL, a rookie manager, and all our best players want to leave.

We'll See Out There!

At this rate all the dinner ladies will be getting 10 years contract extensions, so much for the clear out and new faces .........roll on another disappointing season :cool:
I for one would give the dinner staff what they're after for sure!! I have it on good faith from a ITK that the Chicken & Leak Pie & the Vegan Lasagne are mustard! Best in the League by all accounts. Although Paula who does the coffee is makin noise bout AC Milan are interested but I'm sick of her silly coloured hairnets and the patterns she puts in the cappuccino anyway. Prick.

Dyslexic Untied

Lets be honest here, we ain't gonna be squeezing anything out of anybody. Would be a miracle if we even shift any of the deadwood with their wages. Theres only a month left to get them out so we can fill out the rest of the squad.
We have two months to clear out the players we want to get rid of. There is nothing stopping us from getting players in before selling those we want to get rid of. That would also be the sensible approach. Again, there is no rush when it comes to selling players.

Bestietom

I said from the start that the wool is being pulled over our eyes and nothing changing my mind. Longer contracts for players that should not be here won't fix us.
Where is the big rebuild. 2 players not proven yet.

matt10000

How can the transfer window be an absolute disaster when the transfer window does not close for another 5 weeks (8th August)?

matt10000

Was expecting nothing but his sacking since he's been appointed here. Ole has had 6 months tenure managerially for this club which is half a season and in that time he's been nothing short of a failure.
So first 12 games unbeaten with 10 wins counts as failure? I agree that after that it wasn't great but you can't just ignore a run like that

kopviolator

....but they weren't sub-standard or over paid when they signed. Rojo was an Argentina international CB, that's the benefit of hindsight. Also maybe the club don't want to get rid of them and also maybe the player who has a contract doesn't want to go? I have a friend who signed for Leeds when they were in Europe, when things started to go wrong they wanted him off the wage bill. The club did everything to belittle him into leaving including all kinds of unsubstantiated accusations. The club and the fans loved him when things were going great but things weren't, he was labelled as being greedy cause he demanded his salary even though they were no longer in the prem. Clubs and fans cant have it both ways. Things might not have worked out but that's not the fault of the player as they didn't hold a gun to the clubs head to sign them or agree to pay that salary.
Oh I don't know. There were doubts about Rojo from day one. And the reason he and likes are still here is the same as with your friend that it's not economically feasible for them to move on because there are no takers offering the same or similar contract. It's not their fault and I get your point that being amongst the big boys means handing out the biggest contracts. But it doesn't change that we have collected players who contribute very little and are on relatively massive salaries and this is a problem when it comes to moving them on.

Litch

Oh I don't know. There were doubts about Rojo from day one. And the reason he and likes are still here is the same as with your friend that it's not economically feasible for them to move on because there are no takers offering the same or similar contract. It's not their fault and I get your point that being amongst the big boys means handing out the biggest contracts. But it doesn't change that we have collected players who contribute very little and are on relatively massive salaries and this is a problem when it comes to moving them on.
Wouldnt argue with that. Our biggest problem is recruitment and the residue left in sub standard players who must say a little pray every night for the clubs incompetence. The problem remains as Ole continues to perpetuate the same thinking giving Jones, Young, Mata et al extended contracts. They dont get them and they know father time is ticking on their careers so inevitably they have to move on to maximise the time they have left to play.

Crustanoid

And to think we’re talking about De Ligt, Sancho, NDombele and such like coming in a matter of weeks ago, a whole new technical team structure being implemented and hitting the ground running for next season.

TheRedDevil2019

Find it laughable that Ole is getting the blame for the lack of movement regarding player sales. That's down to Woody and the board. If they are vetoing Ole's instructions, there isn't much else the guy can do...

Alabaster Codify7

Remember your post when I saw this tweet.

Yeah exactly. The only 2 big players left are Valencia and Herrera, both were out of contracts, the former didn't play much last season and the latter was even a good player. Most of the deadwood have contracts or extending theirs without being linked to move anywhere, but then you find people telling us "We shouldn't be letting 10 players leave at once" when a new contract is extended as if we sold loads already or something.

I'm not expecting anything more than Darmian leaving (who anyway plays only 5 matches a season or so).

Ole's a yes man. He's just the public mouthpiece for Woodward and Ed knows the fans are unlikely to turn on Ole so he can get away with selling him down the river. Ole is so happy to be here, the only way is down from here for him if/when he leaves - he will not say a THING to rock the boat. He'll just keep his head down and muddle along with the same reprobates that let him down last season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole's a yes man. He's just the public mouthpiece for Woodward and Ed knows the fans are unlikely to turn on Ole so he can get away with selling him down the river. Ole is so happy to be here, the only way is down from here for him if/when he leaves - he will not say a THING to rock the boat. He'll just keep his head down and muddle along with the same reprobates that let him down last season.
You dont back a yes man with 135m pound warkitty

VanGaalyTime

You dont back a yes man with 135m pound warkitty
135m is literally nothing these days. United need to spend 300m AND keep Pogba and Lukaku to challenge for the title next year. Without this level of investment, we'd be lucky to get 4th. Now it sounds like Pogba and Lukaku are being sold, and will be replaced with cut-price players. What is happening?

careca07

If we get two more players, and those players are Maguire and Longstaff, then where exactly are the thirty extra goals that Liverpool and City scored than us last year going to come from?

If those two come in and that’s it (plus Pogba and/or lukaku leave) then Ole will go by November and we will finish outside the top six

SteveW

Rabiots gone to Juve. Tielemans is about to sign for Leicester. Wont lie. Starting to worry here.

Hedgehog72

We all know a big rebuild is required and that was always going to take more than 1 or 2 transfer windows. We all know there's a ton of deadwood to leave but without being able to replace them that too will take time. Sounds like Pogba wants to go, so lets get a good price and good riddance. Lukaku needs to leave, not the player we signed and not the player we need upfront. Yes we aint going to be challenging for the title, but I do think slowly we are starting to get the right players in, young and keen and willing to put in a shift. Ole has to be given time.

Last edited:

roseguy64

How can the transfer window be an absolute disaster when the transfer window does not close for another 5 weeks (8th August)?
Because people have negative agendas and are willing to torch everyone associated with the club to see it through.

oz insomniac

Madrid have a 4 time CL winning manager in addition to having a team full of world class players. We have a manager who no one in the whole PL would have hired after the way we ended the season. Ed is an idiot but he can't convince Sancho and De ligt (heck any one decent) to come to us when we don't have CL, a rookie manager, and all our best players want to leave.
Then again, who appointed the coach ? Yep, it's Woody World , expect nothing to change !

Web of Bissaka

Find it laughable that Ole is getting the blame for the lack of movement regarding player sales. That's down to Woody and the board. If they are vetoing Ole's instructions, there isn't much else the guy can do...
There are still things Ole can do to push the deadwood players into leaving.

Eg 1. tell them professionally they're not wanted or 'not within plan' to their faces and can leave.
Eg 2. make them feel unwanted by lessay kick 'em out figuratively from the squad such as them not joining the tour is a good start, then send 'em to reserves (season start) and strip 'em off their last season numbers.

Red Devil's Advocate

There are still things Ole can do to push the deadwood players into leaving.

Eg 1. tell them professionally they're not wanted or 'not within plan' to their faces and can leave.
Eg 2. make them feel unwanted by lessay kick 'em out figuratively from the squad such as them not joining the tour is a good start, then send 'em to reserves (season start) and strip 'em off their last season numbers.
Why would he do that before securing the replacements? Can't start the season with 6 players.

Red Devil's Advocate

Yall are not realizing that this is not Football Manager or FIFA Career Mode. There is a reason transition takes some time and patience. Just think of Chelsea or Man City in the last 15 years. They had to literally build their team over 3 or 4 windows.