Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

matt10000

It was all talk from a Yes Man.

Woodward probably approved that speech as a way of appeasing the p*ssed off fanbase. In reality, both he and Ole both knew it wasn't true - Ole probably went straight back to the locker room with a big smile on his face and started high-fiving Youngy, Jonah, Lingz etc. "Dont worry lads, you'll all still be here next season, the fans just needed to hear something like that."
Fake news - this is pure fiction that is not even remotely realistic. Why would any manager tell a squad of players that they are all safe and can rest on their laurels?

soaphroniscuss

Okay you can but that is then something you'd do at the end of the transfer period, after other alternatives have been explored. Besides, this is something you'd expect to do if the players are considered being disruptive to the squad.
I think that is something you would do, if you really wanted to get rid of a player, irrespective of the underlying reason.

kopviolator

I think that is something you would do, if you really wanted to get rid of a player, irrespective of the underlying reason.
That would depend on the length of contract and cost to push the player out imo. You don't see this happening every day. Besides, it's entirely possible that these guys are useful at the training ground and if they are conducting themselves professionally then what is the upside of paying them off?

Litch

We can't get rid of underperforming players that are being overpaid. This is one of our biggest problem now. And if we'd have signed Herrera on a deal similar as offered by PSG then his strongest supporters would probably be whining about him in two years time. Hopefully the club is looking into this ridiculous wage structure that seems to be out of control.
I guess with the benefit of hindsight, no one every makes a mistake but like you said, these players only look expensive now once we can reflect on their time here. I'm not sure the clubs wage structure is ridiculous cause how can anyone play for the biggest and richest club yet not ask to command the largest salary? Whether they are worth it, that's a different argument and more the point.

Bestietom

Players are on too high a wage here. Other clubs won't pay these wages so they won't move.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Cos no one has put in an offer for them? Would appear to be the most likely scenario. Can't sell players if there is no buyer
Doesn't that speak volumes in itself..?
Probably 10 or more players in our squad that we'd be open to shifting, yet absolutely no other club shows any interest.
Even our 2 "star" players, Lukaku only has Inter that fancy him, and Pogba is only getting interest from 2 clubs...

I really think United are going to have to take some drastic action with this deadwood and start releasing players on a free transfer.
If we'd done that with Darmian 2 years ago, we'd have saved as much in wages as we'd potentially gained in a transfer fee.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Woodward probably approved that speech as a way of appeasing the p*ssed off fanbase. In reality, both he and Ole both knew it wasn't true - Ole probably went straight back to the locker room with a big smile on his face and started high-fiving Youngy, Jonah, Lingz etc. "Dont worry lads, you'll all still be here next season, the fans just needed to hear something like that."
Fake news - this is pure fiction that is not even remotely realistic. Why would any manager tell a squad of players that they are all safe and can rest on their laurels?
Fake news - OP didn't say squad.
:lol: He said squad of players, not entire squad.

Dyslexic Untied

I can see why fans are eager to get players in early and before pre-season. Fully understand that, and hopefully the Maguire and Longstaff deals (if the media are to be believed) will be wrapped up shortly.

Why some on here are criticizing the club for not having sold players yet, I struggle to understand. There is absolutely no need to sell players prior to pre-season. We should hard ball every sale we make this year to squeeze as much as possible out of the buying club. If that takes time, so be it. Why on earth would rush that process?

Litch

Yes you can. Pay out part of their contracts.
See Bale. Only if they want to leave. If my employer wants to pay me 500k a week over 4 years, why should I leave even if they are giving me a sweetener to go? Some players think given the nature of football management, the coach will probably be sacked before the end of my contract anyway. Jose left, some players got more football, others got less. Would anyone be shocked if Ole was sacked by Christmas? Maybe Rojo thinking, next manager might like me? I'm sure Jones said a little prayer when Ole extended his contract....

soaphroniscuss

That would depend on the length of contract and cost to push the player out imo. You don't see this happening every day. Besides, it's entirely possible that these guys are useful at the training ground and if they are conducting themselves professionally then what is the upside of paying them off?
"That would depend on the length of contract and cost to push the player out imo".
That is included in the emboldened part in my OP.
If it costs too much you decide not to do it == You don't want to do it.

I don't think we would be privy to all of that information anyway and that expenditure would just fall under player contract payments.

kopviolator

I guess with the benefit of hindsight, no one every makes a mistake but like you said, these players only look expensive now once we can reflect on their time here. I'm not sure the clubs wage structure is ridiculous cause how can anyone play for the biggest and richest club yet not ask to command the largest salary? Whether they are worth it, that's a different argument and more the point.
Yes I'm not necessarily saying that the decisions were bad when they were made but the point is that it's not easy flogging sub-standard players off when they are being overpaid. I'm readying over and over the question, why the club hasn't got rid of some of these guys and I'm prett sure this is the reason.

soaphroniscuss

See Bale. Only if they want to leave. If my employer wants to pay me 500k a week over 4 years, why should I leave even if they are giving me a sweetener to go? Some players think given the nature of football management, the coach will probably be sacked before the end of my contract anyway. Jose left, some players got more football, others got less. Would anyone be shocked if Ole was sacked by Christmas? Maybe Rojo thinking, next manager might like me? I'm sure Jones said a little prayer when Ole extended his contract....
Because, using your example, Man United pay said player 250k and the other club pay 300K.

Litch

Doesn't that speak volumes in itself..?
Probably 10 or more players in our squad that we'd be open to shifting, yet absolutely no other club shows any interest.
Even our 2 "star" players, Lukaku only has Inter that fancy him, and Pogba is only getting interest from 2 clubs...

I really think United are going to have to take some drastic action with this deadwood and start releasing players on a free transfer.
If we'd done that with Darmian 2 years ago, we'd have saved as much in wages as we'd potentially gained in a transfer fee.
Yep but only if they want to leave. They have legally bidding contracts which the club was more than happy to honour when they were given. Maybe those players are more than happy to stay and be associated with the club, even if they aren't playing. Financially your business ventures outside of football are gonna be worth more, just being a player at a club like Utd.

Is it true that we are flying out this weekend and are you getting a bit worried?
Yeah that's what I heard, Im worried considering we've only bought 1 player that's guaranteed to be in the starting 11.

Midfield and attack is my biggest worry, I think we'll get Maguire.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah that's what I heard, Im worried considering we've only bought 1 player that's guaranteed to be in the starting 11.

Midfield and attack is my biggest worry, I think we'll get Maguire.
Ole should have known better than to demand that players were in for pre-season.

Litch

Yes I'm not necessarily saying that the decisions were bad when they were made but the point is that it's not easy flogging sub-standard players off when they are being overpaid. I'm readying over and over the question, why the club hasn't got rid of some of these guys and I'm prett sure this is the reason.
....but they weren't sub-standard or over paid when they signed. Rojo was an Argentina international CB, that's the benefit of hindsight. Also maybe the club don't want to get rid of them and also maybe the player who has a contract doesn't want to go? I have a friend who signed for Leeds when they were in Europe, when things started to go wrong they wanted him off the wage bill. The club did everything to belittle him into leaving including all kinds of unsubstantiated accusations. The club and the fans loved him when things were going great but things weren't, he was labelled as being greedy cause he demanded his salary even though they were no longer in the prem. Clubs and fans cant have it both ways. Things might not have worked out but that's not the fault of the player as they didn't hold a gun to the clubs head to sign them or agree to pay that salary.

Last edited:

Litch

Because, using your example, Man United pay said player 250k and the other club pay 300K.
....only if the player wants to leave as they have a contract at that club irrespective of whether the fans or the club sooner they not be here. Crap analogy but it's like being made redundant, you leave the company with a pay off but what about if the only other job offer is in another country like say Turkey or China? This might mean moving your family away to another country. What about if you have financial commitments here like a business or a mortgage? What if moving to China means your not gonna see your extended family for months? There's more to why players sooner stay and it's not just because of the money.

Ventura

Why does the thread title say 'Things are now happening' when nothing's happening?
The thing is that two things have happened, which granted is not enough things, but those things are some things. Let's hope more things will happen because otherwise bad things will happen next season.

cyril C

Youth International Tournaments occurring right now. Then the senior internationals. It's just a pretty shit time to do business right now as most players are focused on internationals.

Think we're all annoyed about the lack of DoF that should have been done months ago, no matter its structure. Lots of talk of having a committee but has it been finalised yet?
Odd no. year we have youth international and some national games, in even no. year we have WC, Euro, and Olympics. Tell me when is best time to do business?

soaphroniscuss

....only if the player wants to leave as they have a contract at that club irrespective of whether the fans or the club sooner they not be here. Crap analogy but it's like being made redundant, you leave the company with a pay off but what about if the only other job offer is in another country like say Turkey or China? This might mean moving your family away to another country. What about if you have financial commitments here like a business or a mortgage? What if moving to China means your not gonna see your extended family for months? There's more to why players sooner stay and it's not just because of the money.
My response was re. the issue of why high contracted salaries preclude selling players. The location issues are outside of that. The players feelings are outside of that.

So IIF the high salary is THE issue THEN ... my statement.

Generally speaking if the salary is THE blocking point then the club can part pay the salary.

If the sticking point is no one in a nice league wants to buy them well that's something else.

There are a plethora of reasons which could be drawn into this but if the money is THE issue there is generally an option to contribute to paying some of that to get them off the books.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Odd no. year we have youth international and some national games, in even no. year we have WC, Euro, and Olympics. Tell me when is best time to do business?
1. We have our deals lined up and ready liked Madrid/Dortmund did. That requires organisation and settled management/technical director.
2. July to August. Bit shit for English clubs given the new deadline but not much we can do (I actually agree with the new deadline).

Either way, a month should be enough time to sell/buy players.

settembrini

Incredible how little progress we have made in clearing out deadwood this summer. I know this is the norm for United but Solskjaer talked such a big game about being ruthless/survival of the fittest/players won't be here next season and yet as things stand the only player we have willingly let go was Valencia. The guy is a United legend but that won't save him if Deadwood FC balls up another season.

Dolf

So uhm... what midfielders do we have that can do some actual defending? Matic, Mctominay, Garner and maybe Fred?

Morpheus 7

Incredible how little progress we have made in clearing out deadwood this summer. I know this is the norm for United but Solskjaer talked such a big game about being ruthless/survival of the fittest/players won't be here next season and yet as things stand the only player we have willingly let go was Valencia. The guy is a United legend but that won't save him if Deadwood FC balls up another season.
I agree but is this really Ole, I imagine he says the players he wants to keep and then it's over to Woodward and Judge. The high wages the players are on are clearly a stumbling block, United can agree a fee with a club but it's pointless if the the player can't. They aren't taking a huge paycut, Rojo and Darmian ect are happy to sit it out than take a huge cut. Comes back to poor planning and negotiating from the club with contracts. I'd give Darmian away at this stage to get his wages of the books. He's what 4th choice rb.
I think Ole was given assurances that aren't being delivered. We'll see in August but highly doubt we are shifting much now.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The guy is a United legend but that won't save him if Deadwood FC balls up another season.
Roy Keane warned Ole that this group of players would 'throw him under the bus' just as they had done with Mourinho.
Surely Ole saw all the proof he needed over the final few months of the season, and yet, every single one of those players is still here, and no signs that any are going to be shifted any time soon.

red4ever 79

Have a feeling he is either too chummy with the players and he is putting his faith in Rashy, Linzy, Mctoms etc. Van Gaal made the same mistake relying on a past it Rooney after he had sold Chico and RVP.

ExecutionerWasp001

Still waiting for the first deadwood sale...
Think you are going to be waiting a long time. I'd be very surprised if we shift anyone out this window for a fee. We always seemed to be able to get rid of our rejects. We didn't get good fee's but we got them out the door. We are now in a position where we are going to have to pay these rejects to leave as clubs have wised up to us.

el3mel

Remember your post when I saw this tweet.

Yeah exactly. The only 2 big players left are Valencia and Herrera, both were out of contracts, the former didn't play much last season and the latter was even a good player. Most of the deadwood have contracts or extending theirs without being linked to move anywhere, but then you find people telling us "We shouldn't be letting 10 players leave at once" when a new contract is extended as if we sold loads already or something.

I'm not expecting anything more than Darmian leaving (who anyway plays only 5 matches a season or so).

demongod

Lets be honest here, we ain't gonna be squeezing anything out of anybody. Would be a miracle if we even shift any of the deadwood with their wages. Theres only a month left to get them out so we can fill out the rest of the squad.

I can see why fans are eager to get players in early and before pre-season. Fully understand that, and hopefully the Maguire and Longstaff deals (if the media are to be believed) will be wrapped up shortly.

Why some on here are criticizing the club for not having sold players yet, I struggle to understand. There is absolutely no need to sell players prior to pre-season. We should hard ball every sale we make this year to squeeze as much as possible out of the buying club. If that takes time, so be it. Why on earth would rush that process?

Dr Fink

All this talk of getting rid of the deadwood. We need a platform to do so, maybe a Deadwood Stage? (I'll get my coat......)

My two-penneth: Fernandes and Maguire incoming. I rate the former but not the latter, but he's an upgrade on what we have.