Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We have been strongly linked to De Ligt, Felix and Bruno Fernandes, all of whom are playing in the Nations League so any movement there will be next week at the earliest. We've been strongly linked with Rabiot but we can only announce him after his contract officially expires on 30 June. That Pedro guy from Brazil can only be sold after elections at Fluiminense on 8 June. Apart from this only others we have been linked to strongly are James (who's father passed away and is now on international duty) and AWB, for whom Palace are apparently playing hard ball.

So if you want to look at it optimistically, next week is when things should get going for us. On a pessimistic and probably realistic note, most of our targets are also being strongly targeted by other major clubs and may not be coming here at all, in which case we have a long summer of frustration in front of us.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't help thinking about LVGs interview and then Ed's own bold claim:

LVG: "I thought Manchester United could buy every player"

Ed: "We can do things in the transfer market that only other clubs can dream of. Watch this space"
This is the main problem. We all thought what He meant by that was "you wait and see" but that couldn't be further from the truth because He actually did mean it : He pressed the space button really fast on his phone but never sent the message.

The people in elite football transfer group on Whatsapp (made for bidding wars between huge clubs for star players - which by the way also included top ITKS like Spoofex, /u/simonxi and Stephen Howson) saw the text "Ed Woodward is typing..." and then it's gone and it appeared again and gone again.. and so on for three months. It seemed like all Woodward did was filling his textbox with white spaces till it became full, emptied it and typed spaces again.

People were anticipating a bid from ManUnited but He never pressed send button till the end of transfer window and then an admin kicked him, He was mistaken for a fake twitter ITK who happened to use his smiling photo as a profile picture.

And He sure was right, no other club could dream of having such a CEO.

Clerp Dawkins

So the season is finally over. The UCL has been played, England have maybe a couple of posh friendlies to play (the Nations League) but nothing has happened at United. It's silent.

No sign of a DoF.

Nobody's left (bar Herrera and Valencia).

Nobody's joined us - no new transfers.

Is June when it all kicks off? Do a lot of players' contracts expire in June?

When is it all going to start? Until it does, a lot of the other threads in here are just pure speculation (transfers, leavers, formations, owners, the manager, etc.).

I'm not sure about you lot, but I need something to cling to hope-wise; a spark; a signing, to signal, to start it all off. I need something to look forward to after renewing my season ticket.
PSG have single handedly stalled the transfer market with their exorbitant spending last year on Mbappe and Nymar and consequently raised the bar so high that owners of clubs are are way too much for ordinary players

Hughie77

International tournament, Euro Qualfiers, these, are a distraction, once there over should see some movement.

Just hope UTD get there targets, something says they won't get them all, and A CB I dont think we get at all, he's going with what we got? And Tuenazabe.

It's either a wow, window, or WTF , window.

spottieottiedopaliscious

It’s only the first week of June not mid July. Look at someone like Ander Herrera he’s turned down a contract and is there for whomever is interested (PSG) and still he’s not been signed or as far as we know he hasn’t. So to me top coveted players who are currently on a contract are going to take some time and negotiating. Nobody knows what’s happening behind the closed doors. Come July then it’s time to worry if nothing has been sorted.

Dr Fink

Maybe we should revisit this thread after the “posh friendlies” have finished. Until then, no DoF, no further leavers and no new signings. <sigh>

sp_107

heard Ed's flight went missing but it will be back under radar in a month time

Johan07

That's why Mourinho came in and did an immediate overhaul of our scouting system. We upped it to 50 scouts globally if I'm not mistaken.

Also big teams don't always take big risks on talent, they buy ready made or top potential youngsters, which De Ligt now is. Look at Renato Sanches we nearly signed him, but Bayern pipped us and now it seems we dodge a bullet even thou he seemed like a world beater.
Buying ready made or nearly there provides less risks. But I totally understand your points and I have asked myself even with VVD why we didn't sign him as he was on full radar.

United needs a overhaul upstairs. We need a structure in play asap, similar to that of Bayern M. Football men with experience running the club as G Neville says the best of the best in every position on and off the pitch.
Well that is revisionist history if I have ever seen it. Our scouting system was starting to be overhauled during Moyes already (who was shocked over its non-existence, maybe one of his only correct judgments). It was being built up by the club under Van Gaal and pretty much ready when Mourinho was appointed.
Who would have nothing to do with it, but instead ignored it and wanted to work with Mendes and his own contacts instead. If anything Mourinho is on record saying he did not even know the name of half of the United scouts.
If you with an immediate overhaul meant completely ignoring the system built up under the last years before Mourinho I apologize. But I dont think thats what you meant and you are just blatantly wrong.

Inter Yer Nan

Because it's Woody and not much will happen. We are taking an absolute age getting Daniel James over the line. We are unlikely to wow any of the big targets if we have realistic competition IMO. I think we need a free run and even then it will take a while to get the deals sewn up. We will have a similar summer to last summer - a young signing who's unlikely to make an immediate impact, a Fred caliber signing and perhaps one more of that caliber.

I hate to be this way but I think after shooting our load with LVG and then Jose's first two summers we are now stuck with crazy wages and haven't seen value with the big signings so the priorities and expectations have shifted for now. I don't think there's pressure from the Glazers to make us successful on the field again and I don't think there's competency from Woodward to make that happen anyway. The fact that the latter still has his job proves the former is correct.

Rusholme Ruffian

We have a mediocre manager and a board that are totally lacking in ambition in terms of the football side of the business.

Get used to the idea of mediocre or mercenary signings (what top player, given a choice, would come to us over another top club for any reason other than money?), a chaotic start to the new season, and the horrendous situation of it being clear to everyone that we need another new manager by Xmas.

It's clear as day that this is where we are headed, and I reckon that deep down even Ole's biggest fans know it.

Last edited:

Kag

Outside of Real Madrid, who signed a striker less than 24 hours ago, I don’t see a great deal happening anywhere.

A few free transfers here and there. Of course, psychos are gonna’ psycho.

cyberman

Keep telling that to yourself.
I remember when we were in for Lukaku or Morata.
Morata was our priority and negotiations were under way while Morata was on his honeymoon.
Madrid messed us around too much on a transfer fee and we bought Lukaku because Everton were straight-forward.

To summarise, deals happen while players/agents are on holidays.

The excuse of "deals won't be done during holidays" is used when Woodward doesn't want to spend money (Summer 2018) or is completely incompetent at making a deal (Summer 2013, when we bought Fellaini for above his release clause, at the last minute).

I remember the days when it would take us months to prepare a bid, while Liverpool prepare the bid, submit it and complete the signing of a player in a single day (Fabinho).
Im not saying deals can't be done, im saying they can be completed and wait for the official announcement.
Lukaku wasn't announced until his USA holiday was over and waited until the squad flew over for pre season.

AshRK

And will return after the transfer window has closed.
I do remember last season when Jose was moaning about the lack of transfer activity - he suggested that Woodward was on holiday, which he may as well have been.
I don't understand why does woodward every year need to go on holiday during the transfer window season. Can't he take holidays any time apart from when his job is needed the most. Especially after the season we just had, he should be the last person to even think about holidays. I know it has been said more than 1000 times here but he is one incompetent CEO.

lsd

The Oracle
We have Maradona coming to save us what more do people want ?

Kag

I don't understand why does woodward every year need to go on holiday during the transfer window season. Can't he take holidays any time apart from when his job is needed the most. Especially after the season we just had, he should be the last person to even think about holidays. I know it has been said more than 1000 times here but he is one incompetent CEO.
The transfer window won’t necessarily be the busiest period of a year at a football club. You must realise this?

AshRK

The transfer window won’t necessarily be the busiest period of a year at a football club. You must realise this?
It is surely one of busiest period for Woodward if not the busiest. There is still a long time to go before the window closes so I am not too worried but the fact that he is on holiday(if he is)makes me feel frustrated. His role is very important during this time and especially after having such an horrific season he should be the last person taking holidays during this time.

SirMattlives

I know it's frustrating, but best turn off the news aggregators and sports pages for a little bit, they need attention and drip feed rumors and speculation just to capture eyeballs. The days of calling up a club and asking how much for their player are long gone. Transfers involve so many legal, financial and personal aspects that I can't help but think a typical deal takes weeks not days to complete, once a player agrees. And of course, the price for United is always a little more just cos clubs know we have the resources and right now need to make things happen. Complaining about the delay on the James deal given his personal circumstances is just ignoring the facts, that one will take time before it's announced, if it's happening. I suspect other top players are also thinking with their agents about what a move means for them and if they have assurances of various incentives or get-out clauses etc. Any player we fancy is likely also wanted by another top club so you can be sure the players are told to take it slowly. So, skip the media updates for a week or two and see where we are then.

The bigger worry for me is the DoF issue. We were told after the last manager mess up that this time we were revisiting everything at the end of the season with a view to a new structure. Well we jumped a bit quickly onto the manager appointment and have gone silent on the DoF. Mikey being mentioned now as moving upstairs (not a tremendously exciting prospect for me but whatever it takes), various players forming a committee...I just want some sign soon that we have made a commitment to a new structure no matter the form so we can have some assurance there's a plan beyond 'backing the manager and hoping for the best'.

Kag

It is surely one of busiest period for Woodward if not the busiest. There is still a long time to go before the window closes so I am not too worried but the fact that he is on holiday(if he is)makes me feel frustrated. His role is very important during this time and especially after having such an horrific season he should be the last person taking holidays during this time.
You’re frustrated about something you don’t even know to be true? About a job you don’t really understand? I mean, neither do I but I don’t pretend as if I do.

AshRK

You’re frustrated about something you don’t even know to be true? About a job you don’t really understand? I mean, neither do I but I don’t pretend as if I do.
Yes I am not a CEO of a company but you don't need to be a CEO to tell that this guy has done a horrendous job at such a big club. There is no other way to explain it. Again I am not frustrated that we have not signed anyone, although we should have, but the fact that he is on holidays (AGAIN IF) it is unacceptable.

RoyH1

Maybe we're waiting for some of our rivals to set a market and then we can scoop in with big money once they have emptied their wallet.

I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Kag

Yes I am not a CEO of a company but you don't need to be a CEO to tell that this guy has done a horrendous job at such a big club. There is no other way to explain it. Again I am not frustrated that we have not signed anyone, although we should have, but the fact that he is on holidays (AGAIN IF) it is unacceptable.
We can all get angry about made up situations, though. What’s the point?

AshRK

We can all get angry about made up situations, though. What’s the point?
But it's not a totally made up situation, is it? History says he goes on holidays every summer. SO chances are he is again on holidays and relaxing on the beach. Good for him if he is, but any competent CEO would have tried to get the mess fixed first by maybe appointing a DoF who knows how to run a football club because clearly Mr. Woodward doesn't know how to run one and I , for one, seriously don't need to prove that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe it was to be expected what with changing managers half way through the season but I honestly don't think the club had a plan this summer (shock horror when do they) and everything we see this summer will be reactionary

I expect Sancho was pinpointed a while back for obvious reasons (young, English, exciting attacker) and Daniel James has been our fallback option once it was clear Sancho was a no go this summer but beyond that yeah I don't think theres a plan, players will leave if good offers come in and replaced by whomever is left available on the market. Other players will be targeted based on current hype (Felix, De Ligt etc etc)

Once again it'll be another wasted window due to nonexistent planning beforehand

Kag

But it's not a totally made up situation, is it? History says he goes on holidays every summer. SO chances are he is again on holidays and relaxing on the beach. Good for him if he is, but any competent CEO would have tried to get the mess fixed first by maybe appointing a DoF who knows how to run a football club because clearly Mr. Woodward doesn't know how to run one and I , for one, seriously don't need to prove that.
This forum has gone to the dogs.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Imagine if United didn’t get any of their targets bar a couple of young prospects. Next season would certainly be interesting... and not in a good way.

Red4Life_#7

Well that is revisionist history if I have ever seen it. Our scouting system was starting to be overhauled during Moyes already (who was shocked over its non-existence, maybe one of his only correct judgments). It was being built up by the club under Van Gaal and pretty much ready when Mourinho was appointed.
Who would have nothing to do with it, but instead ignored it and wanted to work with Mendes and his own contacts instead. If anything Mourinho is on record saying he did not even know the name of half of the United scouts.
If you with an immediate overhaul meant completely ignoring the system built up under the last years before Mourinho I apologize. But I dont think thats what you meant and you are just blatantly wrong.
You are correct about Moyes, in AF's time we used paper based reports with no centralized system. Van Gaal also added scouts to our system along with many other things. Mourinho also added an army of new scouts too. If he didn't use them we wouldn't have signed players like Dalot etc.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I expect everyone who is saying g Just fecking sign them!!! Would be very satisfied if we just signed AWB for 80million because that's what palace asked for and the fans just want him fecking signed!! Thought not.
Problem with that is we could have established that months ago before it came to the crunch. If you're suggesting we've been quoted that figure since the end of the season, then it does still point to no planning having gone into this transfer period like we'd expect.

nameischarles

I’ll be worried once we go on preseason tour and only one or no new player is coming along.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Ed will be joining the tour and doing commercial activities, that’ll definitely get some panic and meltdown here.

f_to_z

The Daniel James transfer as small and simple is yet to be completed. Thats a player costing 15m from a championship team. That says a lot about the indecisiveness.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ed going on tour or on holiday has no baring on our potential transfers. That job is given to Matt Judge.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The main concern is that our structure remains the same. Not too panicky about players not being signed up yet, but I don't really think it matters one war or another if it's the same people doing the recruiting.

SaintMuppet

Well that was not my intention. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to why nothing has happened so far. Yep, it's attracted some negativity. It was actually a genuine set of questions to be honest. I thought I wasn't "in the know".
I guess like everybody else I’m getting a bit over sensitive. I’d like to see some sense that something is happening too. I’m not optimistic for the summer but I’d really like to be proven wrong. I think we should all go away, spend time with our loved ones and not even think about football until next season.

Apologies for being tetchy, I’m just a bit errrr.... tetchy atm :)

SirMattlives

The Daniel James transfer as small and simple is yet to be completed. Thats a player costing 15m from a championship team. That says a lot about the indecisiveness.
I think the sudden death of Daniel James' father two weeks ago might have something to do with this. Giving the family time and space to grieve might actually reflect a more considerate and professional manner of business.