Why has only 1 German ever played for United?

Web of Bissaka

We just didn't and couldn't get more.

Had
1. Bastian Schweinsteiger - first team expensive flop
2. Rons-Robet Zieler - reserve player at best

Could've
Fergie wanted Neuer then was convinced otherwise to get De Gea instead, and seriously even if he try --> no chance.
Ballack prefer London and Chelsea - no chance.
LVG wanted Muller - no chance, bids rejected.

Pass
LVG also wanted Hummels, but he decided not to after his poor season (confirmed interview).
Kross agreed to join? You're joking. We agreed a deal and they're waiting for follow-up? Right... just keep quiet and don't check if this is valid or not.

Rumour
Ozil available? Naah pass, prefer Sanchez.
Mourinho wanted Muller - no chance, bids rejected.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't we try to sign Ozil back in 2010 ?

cyril C

Klinsmann, Hitzlsperger, Podolski, Ozil, Riedle, Ballack, Leno, Hamann, Lehmann, Mertesacker, Rudiger, Sane, Gundogan springs to mind. Some big sucesses, but mostly ok/average players. Strange one really
Simple really. The best German players go to BM. Only average players, or over-the-top, or left-over (but then Gnarby, Sane, no-one left behind), go overseas.

Amir

We went for Markus Babbel in 1996 when he was with Bayern. Fergie said he wanted too much money - Cantona levels - so that didn't happen.

Of course, we were somewhat cheap with our wages at the time.

Red00012

For some reason I thought Mads Timm was German which lead me to google him. He’s still playing :wenger: 36 years old as a player coach.

anyway back to the Germans....

Threesus

This nails it. Incredibly sharp analysis.
I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but there is an element of truth to that. Since the Bundesliga's inception, in every decade except the 70's, Munich have won more league titles than every other club. One could argue that while Bayern is an extremely well run club, they could also always wait for the best German talent to come to them for a lower price, because they know they will win the league anyway. One could also argue that while the 50+1 rule is a noble concept ensuring that fans always have a say in the running of their clubs, it is also one of the many factors contributing to keeping Bayern at the top. And this has been so well documented by many sources from Germany saying that a 'Leicester City' type run would never happen in the German League. That's also why I always chuckle when German fans hate RB Leipzig for circumventing the 50+1 rule. The PL is dealing with oligarchs and countries here.

If the german posters feel that the information is wrong, I would like to know what the situation has been historically in the Bundesliga and why there has never been another club who has posed a sustained challenge to Bayern. Because the 'Der Klassiker' is one of the most one sided rivalries I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
German players don't have much reason to leave Germany. There was an influx of Spanish players some years ago, mostly because the money was a lot better in England and Spain is filled with talent.

Same reason why you don't see many Italians outside Italy or English players outside England.

Theonas

Scout
We haven't really bought that many players from abroad up until the 21st century. We had some from Scandinavia and the odd Dutch here and there but generally speaking, how many players from Portugal, Spain, Brazil, Argentina or Italy have we had until towards the mid to late '00s? Add to that the Germans have a strong league and when they had players with ambitions to play abroad, the glamour was for a long time in Italy and Spain. I think we tend to forget just how isolate English football was up until the late '90s. It very rarely in general bought the vest best talent from abroad.

Bondi77

Why should they still care about that final in 1966?

They've been to 8 WC finals and won 4 of them.

I doubt they actually care all that much about that one final ages ago.
I suppose you would have to ask a German

Bondi77

Klinsman was superb at Spurs.
I never really liked him before he came to England as I thought he went down too easy but he earnt my respect with the way he adapted to the English game.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but there is an element of truth to that. Since the Bundesliga's inception, in every decade except the 70's, Munich have won more league titles than every other club. One could argue that while Bayern is an extremely well run club, they could also always wait for the best German talent to come to them for a lower price, because they know they will win the league anyway. One could also argue that while the 50+1 rule is a noble concept ensuring that fans always have a say in the running of their clubs, it is also one of the many factors contributing to keeping Bayern at the top. And this has been so well documented by many sources from Germany saying that a 'Leicester City' type run would never happen in the German League. That's also why I always chuckle when German fans hate RB Leipzig for circumventing the 50+1 rule. The PL is dealing with oligarchs and countries here.

If the german posters feel that the information is wrong, I would like to know what the situation has been historically in the Bundesliga and why there has never been another club who has posed a sustained challenge to Bayern. Because the 'Der Klassiker' is one of the most one sided rivalries I have ever seen.
Yes. The answer to "why has only 1 German ever played for United [while dozens have joined the PL]? " is: Bayern. "Why would I join United, when so many sources said a Leicester City type run could never happen in Bundesliga" was actually the reason Kroos gave for going to Madrid instead.

Last edited:

georgipep

True.

Manchester's daily mean temperature is warmer than Munich's. Manchester's annual rainfall is also less than Munich's.

German players would find a hotter and drier climate than they're used to if they came to Manchester. That might put them off.
Well...that's a load of bs though. Munich might have colder minimum temperatures but it also has warmer maximum temperatures. Ask me if I prefer a summer with a maximum 20 or one with 26.

Also, look at average sunshine hours for both Munich and Manchester and you'll see why German climate is considered better than English (and Manchester).

And I don't know where you've seen the rainfall info but it's plain wrong. Manchester has higher precipitation in both days and volume (mm rainfall).

Robindinho

Well...that's a load of bs though. Munich might have colder minimum temperatures but it also has warmer maximum temperatures. Ask me if I prefer a summer with a maximum 20 or one with 26.

Also, look at average sunshine hours for both Munich and Manchester and you'll see why German climate is considered better than English (and Manchester).

And I don't know where you've seen the rainfall info but it's plain wrong. Manchester has higher precipitation in both days and volume (mm rainfall).
According to my weather app, right now it’s 13° in Manchester and only 5° in Munich. I think that’s all the proof we need to see which is better. :wenger:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
England and Germany had a pretty big rivalry for a long time.

Only really in the 2000's did players start to leave their home country and start swapping leagues. Ballack is the only German we definitely went for as far as I can remember.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
In Munich is a continental climate, much less humidity. Manchesters climate is more like the north of Germany.

Well the Sancho thread shows only that a hell of a lot of people made them self absolut fools by chasing a shadow for three moth and taking everything for granted a few journalists tweeting on their toilet. After that they were for some reason extremely pissed of by Dortmund and the BL in general. The illusion level is staggering.

A real reason might by, that up to the 2010th the typical German and the typical english player were very much alike. (Ballack be the prime example, Hamann another) Why looking abroad, when you can find tall hardworking midfielders basically next door?

No German gives a feck about 1966. Is just one final they lost, nothing special. But I can assure you we would remember, if it was our only WC win since.

Only really in the 2000's did players start to leave their home country and start swapping leagues. Ballack is the only German we definitely went for as far as I can remember.
deffo in for Ballack, also a German centre back, who subsequently went to Liverpool on a free, can’t remember his name.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Could've
Fergie wanted Neuer then was convinced otherwise to get De Gea instead, and seriously even if he try --> no chance.
Ballack prefer London and Chelsea - no chance.
LVG wanted Muller - no chance, bids rejected.
Rene Adler as well. He even had a release clause specifically for United!

Classical Mechanic

We had a deal agreed with Kroos too.

Ron-Robert Zieler was also with us for 3 seasons as a youth player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We had a deal agreed with Kroos too.

Ron-Robert Zieler was also with us for 3 seasons as a youth player.
Hated LVG, didn't he?
Moyes of all people had the deal wrapped up and LVG binned it :lol: you can't really make it up can you?

The stupid thing is Kroos would have been the perfect midfielder for the way he wanted to play, instead he went with Fellaini and a 1 legged Schweinsteiger. :confused:

GueRed

ahh Markus Neumayr billed as the German David Beckham by some when we signed him around 2003....played on the right, took set-pieces and had those blonde flowing locks, thats where the comparisons ended sadly. Wonder where he went after? he just seemed to vanished

remember Ron robert Zieler too. At least he went on to have a decent career for himself in top tier football. Was quite optimistic about him, mainly because we signed him shortly after the success of our other foreign imports in Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi.

Classical Mechanic

ahh Markus Neumayr billed as the German David Beckham by some when we signed him around 2003....played on the right, took set-pieces and had those blonde flowing locks, thats where the comparisons ended sadly. Wonder where he went after? he just seemed to vanished

remember Ron robert Zieler too. At least he went on to have a decent career for himself in top tier football. Was quite optimistic about him, mainly because we signed him shortly after the success of our other foreign imports in Gerard Pique and Giuseppe Rossi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Neumayr

Sadly it looks like male pattern baldness came for his greatest asset too.

Dante

Average bang

Manchester's annual daily mean temperature is 10.0°C. Munich's annual daily mean temperature is 9.7°C.

Manchester's annual precipitation is 828.8mm. Munich's annual daily mean temperature is 944mm.

Munich reaches slightly higher top temperatures in June, July and August. But these are footballers we're talking about. They're going to be anywhere other than the UK or Germany during those months. Bragging about the Bavarian summer is pointless. In any case, Manchester tops 26°C every single year.