Why has Ronaldo's narcissistic nature been brushed over for a decade?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Interesting hypothetical, but we can also look at the actual example of Ronaldo smashing a kid's phone and getting defended over it

SIUUUUUUUUU

Yup which was before he had his family health issues which are being pointed to as the reason for his bad behaviour recently.

Pronewbie

Peep
Nothing new. People do it all the time across all walks of lives, cultures, industries etc. as long as the narcissist delivers results or advances civilisation. But yes perhaps more should be done in society although that would be a tricky balance because of the aforementioned benefits. You'd be surprised how many at the top are like that, too.

IFC 1905

I know this is a piling up thread, but what exactly is wrong in this video? Higuain had a heavy touch and lost the angle and he was better positioned to take it? He’s frustrated because he’s think “leave it”, but like I’ve seen similar instances before in football. It’s hardly the smoking gun people are making it out to be
are you serious? Lost the angle? :lol:

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You'd be surprised how many at the top are like that, too.
Agree with you here , in fact I'd say Ronaldo does less to hide his emotions than most.

All the evidence was there for people to see for more than a decade, they just chose not to see it.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, this armchair psychologist stuff is neither here nor there.

As others have pointed out, having a certain sense of self-importance is usually required for being successful in some fields of endeavour. That doesn't mean you're a loon, it just means you believe in yourself.

Even when you're clearly not that good, believing in yourself can be healthy.

If you're clearly shite but still believe in yourself, that too could be taken as a positive. Of sorts.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with Ronaldo.

He is what is known as a cnut.

Definition:

1: (vulgar) A woman's genitals (this is not what Ronaldo is)

2: An unpleasant or stupid person (this is what Ronaldo is)

Hope this helps.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It never did for me, but when you perform it's just something you accept. And when you don't, it's something you highlight even more. I had absolutely zero doubts the end of his career would become the sideshow it's become, because he can't handle the fact that he is a has-been in football at this point and that was never going to go over well. But it's still definitely been highlighted in the past.

Camilo

Because it doesn't matter, nobody really cares, and it's not really anybody's business.

Saffron

Because it doesn't matter, nobody really cares, and it's not really anybody's business.
Of course it matters, it has a concrete negative impact on the club. To quote the great Wayne Rooney: This is a distraction United doesn’t need.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His rape allegations was brushed over. He got away on technicality. Do you think his narcissistic personality would have been noticed by his blind fanboys?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Tiger Woods, Jordan not narcissistic? You sure?
I am not sure as I don't know them well, so I may have used improper examples. I was taking exception with the idea that any successful person is automatically a narcisist.

Most people can exhibit a myriad of personality traits, and I think any of us can behave narcisistically (or as any other negative personality traits) in some phases/circumstances, etc. Personally, for example, I feel I have to be on guard. Due to various circumstances my work and social life improved massively in the past few years and I know this can make me a bit careless with family and friends. That's a phase, we adapt to changes.

So I'd say it's pretty natural that many celebrities at the peaks of their lives may be insuferable, etc, but they probably fluctuate a lot.

I do think narcisism on the scale of the likes of Ronaldo is publicly noticeable, on his persona, all the time, even if in small harmless things. A TV interview, an unrelated event, you kind of notice it between every line. It's a personality trait that seems to become very easily noticeable in public persons.

In psychiatry, we define a personality disorder as when one of a set of well defined personality traits is so strongly present in a person, to the extent where it may dominate and damage their lives. At this point it's considered an illness.

I don't put Ronaldo on the same bucket as Trump or Musk lightly, as these men seem to veer as close to the medical definition as possible (it's obviously not strictly correct to diagnose these things based on media). Trump could have very well been imprisoned. Musk seems to be happily destroying one of the most well known companies in the world, and could this not threat his power? Being how the Tesla valuation thing seems to be inextricably linked to him as a person? Is he aware of this?

Ronaldo is not on their scale of importance so I see it rather as amusing, but still clear cut. He's tarnishing his legacy at an astonishing pace, which seems to actually be the most important thing in the world from him. This may be damaging to his comercial worth in the future, even if money was his most important thing (and I think it isn't). Point is, I see nothing he can gain from this.

In all of these examples, you could link their decline directly to their narcisim, as their inability to understand how society perceives their actions is the culprit in their biggest problems to date. Were Tiger Woods or Jordan woes also stemming from such a specific pattern of behaviour?

I'm rambling and am not entirely sure if this is well thought out or even understandable. I'm getting more and more verbhorrheic as I age, I have no synthetic powers, and can't make a short or simple post ever. Help.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
When he was getting a goal a game nearly and winning major trophies you brush it under the rug as "winning mentality".

The true side of narcs generally comes out when they don't get their own way and it starts to get very toxic which is now.

I think it'll be much worse the next 6-12 months than it has been before. If he continues at United because United don't terminate his contract we'll see more stupid behaviour because he won't be able to control himself if he is narcissistic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am. Higuain’s touch to round the keeper was heavier than it should have been. He could possibly still scored but Ronaldo was better positioned
Ronaldo wasn't better positioned because the ball was in Higuain's feet, it was an easy finish for him until Ronaldo happened.

BorisManUtd

I think that’s ultimately why he’s been so successful. He clearly has that drive, arrogance and self-centred approach to want to be the absolute best. But not only be the best, he wants the world to tell him he’s the best. I think we’ve seen hints of it before in interviews related to Ballon D’ors and comparisons to Messi. He’s always been touchy about it.

Those attributes have been a factor in pushing him to reach the extraordinary levels that he has done. It’s also allowed teammates, fans and managers to turn a blind eye to all the negative aspects of his personality because let’s be honest, most l people are tolerant to anything as long as they have the superstar fighting in their corner.

The major problem arises when he’s no longer capable of performing at those levels to the point where he actually becomes a liability in the team but he still has the attitude and ego he had before. It’s a recipe for disaster where everything that was tolerated before will now be banished and punished as there’s no downside to getting on his wrong side.

It’s unfortunate to see, but he’s already showing signs of potentially struggling with the lack of limelight and attention he will get once he finishes football. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a terrible attempt of trying to go into something like acting to massage his ego.
Yeah, even his mental health could be in trouble if he's not able to lower expectations and control his ego.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I mean yeah but it was probably worth it seeing that he was either the best or the second best performing player in the world for most of that period.

TsuWave

Ronaldo wasn't better positioned because the ball was in Higuain's feet, it was an easy finish for him until Ronaldo happened.
i don’t think it was an easy finish. not with the defender rushing to cover the goal. either way, I’ve seen similar situations before involving other players not to think it’s the holy grail of selfishness

mshnsh

He’s been arguably the best player of the last 20 years in football and a consensus top 4 player of all time dominating the most elite competitions in the game and winning award after award.

In other words he talked the talk but he walked the walk and came out many times second to none.

Now he clearly is not the player he used to be because his body can’t keep up with what his mind wants but that elite mentality never goes away. You can say or feel how you want off the field but he was the biggest winner thr sport has seen, no team felt comfortable when they knew he was playing.

Bayern are a team that are known to be scared or nobody and they will rip you shreds (ask Barcelona) but they simply had no answer for Ronaldo which Thomas muller brought up as welll if I recall.
His performances vs Bayern have never been great if you don't count the goals in 2014 and 2017. Which brings me to my point:
Ronaldo as a footballer is an enigma.
Interms of ability with the ball, there have been many easily superior.
If you showed anyone 20 years from now a handful of games or he played even during his peak, I'm sure they will wonder what the fuss was all about. The reason being that he simply lacks that all round brilliance that one would associate with a player that is considered one of the all time greats.

Yet:
He has success very very few have had, scored a huge number of goals (more than most and alot of them important even if most of them weren't aesthetically pleasing) and has longevity that very very few have had.

I really feel that the success he has had is something that he looked for rather than it coming naturally to him. At Madrid, with a great team behind him, he had the perfect platform to consciously look for those goals (mostly poach them) and become the face of their success. When he moved to Juve, the team behind him wasn't as good so focusing entirely on scoring wasn't enough and they actually went backwards despite his numbers and ditto at United.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
His performances vs Bayern have never been great if you don't count the goals in 2014 and 2017. Which brings me to my point:
If you showed anyone 20 years from now a handful of games or he played even during his peak, I'm sure they will wonder what the fuss was all about. The reason being that he simply lacks that all round brilliance that one would associate with a player that is considered one of the all time greats.

Yet:
He has success very very few have had, scored a huge number of goals (more than most and alot of them important even if most of them weren't aesthetically pleasing) and has longevity that very very few have had.

I really feel that the success he has had is something that he looked for rather than it coming naturally to him. At Madrid, with a great team behind him, he had the perfect platform to consciously look for those goals (mostly poach them) and become the face of their success. When he moved to Juve, the team behind him wasn't as good so focusing entirely on scoring wasn't enough and they actually went backwards despite his numbers and ditto at United.
That’s quite a take that many are easily superior with the ball because Ronaldo up until 2014 was one of the most technically gifted players the game has ever seen particularly in his time at United and early years in Madrid. He ripped United to shreds with his “poor technical ability” as an 18 year old boy and had premier league players on skates during his time at United.

I always found it funny that people think he is just a “poacher” because they remember hus more recent years and 30s in Madrid when he focused Mainly on goals.

The reason Ronaldo is widely regarded in the Mount Rushmore of all time players and the reason he and Messi shared the floor for 18 years is because he possesses a combination of skills and attributes that no player before him and so far after him has had.

To be that tall, that fast, two footed, elite in the air, elite finishing, blistering pace, technically brilliant and the fact he can score such a different array of goals made him unplayable and to this this an utterly unique player in the history of the sport. Along with that he would still grab 10+ assists a season usually around 15 a season.

If you look at his (imo prime season) 11/12 he was scoring with his left foot right foot head, free kick , penalty, absolute rockets from 30+ yards out etc. he was literally unguardable and their was no way to stop him.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
I'm very curious Are there any posters that are in the top 1% of his company or his job? Or even the top 0.1%? The reason I'm asking that is maybe some 1 percenters here or some bona fide mega stars can relate to Ronaldo? The overwhelming majority of stars in their profession have a sense of arrogance and entitlement that is very understandable. They make more than almost everyone else and they achieve more than almost everyone else. In fact, I see a lot more Ronaldos than Messis in the real world when it comes to success.

mshnsh

That’s quite a take that many are easily superior with the ball because Ronaldo up until 2014 was one of the most technically gifted players the game has ever seen particularly in his time at United and early years in Madrid. He ripped United to shreds with his “poor technical ability” as an 18 year old boy and had premier league players on skates during his time at United.

I always found it funny that people think he is just a “poacher” because they remember hus more recent years and 30s in Madrid when he focused Mainly on goals.

The reason Ronaldo is widely regarded in the Mount Rushmore of all time players and the reason he and Messi shared the floor for 18 years is because he possesses a combination of skills and attributes that no player before him and so far after him has had.

To be that tall, that fast, two footed, elite in the air, elite finishing, blistering pace, technically brilliant and the fact he can score such a different array of goals made him unplayable and to this this an utterly unique player in the history of the sport. Along with that he would still grab 10+ assists a season usually around 15 a season.

If you look at his (imo prime season) 11/12 he was scoring with his left foot right foot head, free kick , penalty, absolute rockets from 30+ yards out etc. he was literally unguardable and their was no way to stop him.
The bolded part (and the whole post actually) is a damn lie. He was better than what he was later in his career but I watched him all through and he wasnt what you say he was. Fanboys like you have created myths about him. There is no doubting his goalscoring ability though.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The bolded part (and the whole post actually) is a damn lie. He was better than what he was later in his career but I watched him all through and he wasnt what you say he was. Fanboys like you have created myths about him. There is no doubting his goalscoring ability though.
That was the thing fans lauded the most in his early years at United… and then in 06/07 onwards he added end product and it was lights out. Premier league players ankles were being taken left right and center. You can easily look up multiple 15 minute clips of every season he was at United of him skinning players.

You say that yet every single child in the world would try to copy and emulate the skills Ronaldo would do in games.

Red_toad

When was it even brushed? He has been attacked for his narcissisim all his career :lol:
Some people brushed it over and are now hugely overreacting to his interview. He’s always been about himself. Personally couldn’t give a toss what he said in the interview, it’s simply as he can’t accept not being the main man, a trait that made him the player he is.

Eddy_JukeZ

Society idolizes people like him.

But I don't think it's brushed aside at all. Most people always pointed to his narcissism during comparisons with Messi.

There's various examples of his narcissism on display during the worst moments. Remember the 2018 UCL final? He made it all about him after the game. Real Madrid had just won their 3 consecutive CL and this man still had the gall to talk about his impending exit from the club instead of celebrating with his teammates.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2008/jun/21/manchesterunited.premierleague1

I mean people who worship him are a scary bunch.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
That’s quite a take that many are easily superior with the ball because Ronaldo up until 2014 was one of the most technically gifted players the game has ever seen particularly in his time at United and early years in Madrid.
:lol::lol::lol:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Dragging United through the mud and supporters still defending him, great to see.

Tbf to any neutral he comes across as the absolute prat always.

mshnsh

That was the thing fans lauded the most in his early years at United… and then in 06/07 onwards he added end product and it was lights out. Premier league players ankles were being taken left right and center. You can easily look up multiple 15 minute clips of every season he was at United of him skinning players.

You say that yet every single child in the world would try to copy and emulate the skills Ronaldo would do in games.
Early years was an exercise in brainless step overs, running into cul de sacs, way ward shooting etc. Was exciting to watch in his debut season, I'll give you that.

06/07 is my favourite version of Cristiano when he was involved in the games beyond goals, his decision making improved immeasurably and was great to watch.

After that season, he became a goalscoring machine with more and more limited allround play over the years. I've watched so many games of his at United (07/08 and 08/09) and at Madrid (including his peak years) where his only contribution would be goals. Fortunately for him, he scored loads so more often than not he would get the attention despite being otherwise unremarkable. And there were many games where you would feel like he is pretty much playing to score and that's it, like a no 9.

When it comes to tricks, his never looked spontaneous or meaningful like Ronaldinho or Neymar. More like Antony.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Early years was an exercise in brainless step overs, running into cul de sacs, way ward shooting etc. Was exciting to watch in his debut season, I'll give you that.

06/07 is my favourite version of Cristiano when he was involved in the games beyond goals, his decision making improved immeasurably and was great to watch.

After that season, he became a goalscoring machine with more and more limited allround play over the years. I've watched so many games of his at United (07/08 and 08/09) and at Madrid (including his peak years) where his only contribution would be goals. Fortunately for him, he scored loads so more often than not he would get the attention despite being otherwise unremarkable. And there were many games where you would feel like he is pretty much playing to score and that's it, like a no 9.

When it comes to tricks, his never looked spontaneous or meaningful like Ronaldinho or Neymar. More like Antony.
If the stats are from opta, I consider them legit. Otherwise I can't vouch for the source. But if Ronaldo is 5th on the list for completed dribbles it certainly shows he's up there for his generation. Hard to believe though that he beat more players than Iniesta. Unlike Messi, Maradona, Best, Pele and Cryuff he wasn't a GOAT tier dribbler though, but still a very well rounded skilfull player.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...lers-since-200607-have-been-revealed-20200411

This is just total completed dribbles though. Not on average pr match. Both Neymar and Iniesta are higher on that.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Yet:

I am not going to argue whether he lacks all round brilliance during his peak because we would never agree on this.

But the fact that he was at 33-36 when he moved to Juve, at the age where most players had already retired, or heading into retirement in some farmers league. And the fact that they have gone backwards even more after he left them. I don’t think you could draw anything conclusive from that.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Many more like this. Hours of videos.

You must of started watching Ronaldo late in his career.
He was brilliant and exciting to watch, no doubt.

There isn't anything there that would actually matter much in an "is he the GOAT?" discussion, though. None of that is historically spectacular, to put it like that.

I mean, you can't tell me that his on-the-ball skills are historically great? Compare the above compilations to, say, Ronaldinho's highlight vids.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If the stats are from opta, I consider them legit. Otherwise I can't vouch for the source. But if Ronaldo is 5th on the list for completed dribbles it certainly shows he's up there for his generation. Hard to believe though that he beat more players than Iniesta. Unlike Messi, Maradona, Best, Pele and Cryuff he wasn't a GOAT tier dribbler though, but still a very well rounded skilfull player.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...lers-since-200607-have-been-revealed-20200411

This is just total completed dribbles though. Not on average pr match. Both Neymar and Iniesta are higher on that.
I think the stats is about right. I mean, even during Ronaldo time in Italy, he has made average around 1.6-1.7 dribble per game, and that 3 seasons alone he has probably had made around 180 dribbles. During his first season at Real he has made around 3.1 dribble per game. Majority of his scoring peak at Real he still managed to stay at around 2.5 figure, not until he turn into poacher during mid 2010s, he drop to around 1.5.

And surely during his early years at United being a wing wizard, we can assume it’s even more higher (My guess is 3.5 or 4, but I don’t have the figure). If we all adds up all that, he would be among the top 5 dribbler over past 15+ years for sure .

Last edited:

L1nk

People really overlook that Ronaldo's narcissism, ego, and general attitude on top of his ability are the driving forces behind him rising to the top of the game for all these years. He had it with us, he had it with Madrid, and he will have it for years to come. Nobody can say it wasn't worth it, guy has absolutely nothing to prove in the game of football anymore except maybe the World Cup, he's done everything at club level. Unfortunately age has caught up to him meaning his ability has waned but everything else has remained, so he's left with his narcissism, ego and general attitude without the ability for him to back it up so he just looks like a bitter ex champion who cannot get over the fact he is on the way out.

You think it was coincidence he decides snippets of this interview come out on the evening Garnacho scores a last minute winner for us and takes all the headlines? He knew he would be overshadowing the whole thing.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Once you realise he is the clinical definition of an extreme narcissist and what that means in practice, all his alleged and actual actions have to re-evaluated through that prism. And he starts looking less of a GOAT to say the least.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was always like this and it was never really brushed over, just ignored by his fans/his team's fans

But he was generally more careful with his public image to try and minimize this aspect of his personality to keep sanitized. Likely his family situation has made go off the rails so now he's showing his arsehole to the world

Nicolarra90

It's not. These last 20 years we've see the following GOATs in their respective sports :

Usain Bolt
Big 3 in tennis
Messi

The only one you get a hint of narcissistic tendencies from is maybe Federer - and that's nowhere close to the level that you see from Ronaldo. And even then that's subdued over the years.
You say Federer might be narcissistic and not Djokovic? Weird. If Fed is a 3/10 I'd say Nole is at least the same or even a little bit higher. Ronaldo a 100/10 though.